Aladdin, The Lion King, and The Jungle Book Now Available to Play Online

Three 16-bit Disney games "meticulously updated" for online play.

GOG.com has announced that it has teamed up with Disney to bring Disney Aladdin, Disney The Lion King, and Disney The Jungle Book to Windows, Mac, and Linux, and all three are available now.

"Previously unavailable to modern gamers, all three titles have been meticulously updated to be compatible with modern operating systems while preserving the original graphics, sound, and gameplay," a press release reads, adding that each game costs $9.99 - $8.99 with a launch discount - or as part of a bundle for $19.99.

"Developed during the golden age of platformers, Disney Aladdin, Disney The Lion King, and Disney The Jungle Book established themselves as hallmarks of the genre, earning the praise of fans and critics alike for over two decades," the release continues. "With the advent of Digicel technology, hand-drawn cels from Disney's animation team brought the characters to life with a level of vibrancy that was unparalleled at the time, and remains impressive today."

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a Genie level to repeatedly rage-quit.

Oh shit.

I, err... I'm apparently not as immune to nostalgia as I thought.

So that's what it feels like.

Aww, that's not the Capcom SNES Aladdin. I guess I'll put up with better graphics and less kinetic gameplay.

P.S. Thanks

Genie level? Pssh. "Be Prepared". That was the level that taunted my childhood.

Shit...how many times have I bought The Lion King?

O, well, here goes another...

I blame Game Grumps.

While not rushing to buy them, if I do, I hope they are controller compatible. Platformers and keyboards do not mix well. *goes to check*

Zhukov:
Oh shit.

I, err... I'm apparently not as immune to nostalgia as I thought.

So that's what it feels like.

Me likewise. Reading this news post made a huge smile slowly conquer the lower half of my face.

Its neat that companies are selling their old games again, but 10 bucks for old snes or genesis games... that is pretty overpriced for nostalgia.

I remember beating Genesis Aladdin when I was younger. The genie level can can suck a fat one.

I can still feel the heat of the woodstove making the playroom almost unbearable as I sweated through Lion King on Genesis as a kid. Nostalgia mode ACTIVATE

Not for nothin', but I don't feel like paying $10 to get my ass kicked by The Lion King again. >.>

Lizzy Finnegan:

Three 16-bit Disney games "meticulously updated" for online play.

GOG.com has announced that it has teamed up with Disney to bring Disney Aladdin, Disney The Lion King, and Disney The Jungle Book to Windows, Mac, and Linux, and all three are available now.

"Previously unavailable to modern gamers, all three titles have been meticulously updated to be compatible with modern operating systems while preserving the original graphics, sound, and gameplay," a press release reads, adding that each game costs $9.99 - $8.99 with a launch discount - or as part of a bundle for $19.99.

"Developed during the golden age of platformers, Disney Aladdin, Disney The Lion King, and Disney The Jungle Book established themselves as hallmarks of the genre, earning the praise of fans and critics alike for over two decades," the release continues. "With the advent of Digicel technology, hand-drawn cels from Disney's animation team brought the characters to life with a level of vibrancy that was unparalleled at the time, and remains impressive today."

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a Genie level to repeatedly rage-quit.

Yes, because emulators haven't existed for a couple of decades and this a totally new thing.

C'mon Disney! You're fucking Billionaires! Can't you drop them to a more reasonable price?
I mean, it's great these classics are now available, but they're being treated like they are completely new!

They better be the best damn ports ever.

WOW! That is a big announcement and enough of a surprise to make you wanna say Sieg Heil!! Glorreiche der Anf?hrer Ma?s, Herr Gier!! Lob des Magische K?nigreich, Zerst?rer der Kreativit?t!!

Disappointing, but yeah that is some peoples childhood so, Good on you GOG for at least helping to make it available to the Blinde loyale Untertanen who simply do not know any better or do not care.

I never even made it to the genie level. Escaping the Cave of Wonders was my brick wall. Once, ONCE, I made it to the carpet ride part. And missed the landing.

Oh god, the fucking Lion King for SNES, the most disgustingly hard game I have ever tried playing as a kid, the second level still haunts me to this day, I got so good at it out of desperation to see more of the game.

Question is, am I will to pay for that pain once more? Well I have the SNES in my room and I am pretty sure I have the Lion King sitting around somewhere, so I am gonna say...no.

No. NO. NOOO!

The Lion King game haunts my memories. It haunts me...

"Hallmarks of the genre"?
They were ok, I guess, but come on, they don't hold a candle Super Mario World or Donkey Kong Country! Was there really people clamoring for re-releases of these games? I just played through Aladdin a couple months ago, and it was really short.

My parents had to settle for the cheaper games, but even the Jungle Book was kind of a hellish landscape of long drops and painful placement.

Also, the manual didn't really explain what the weird mysterious bonus secrets were or how they worked.

RaikuFA:
I remember beating Genesis Aladdin when I was younger. The genie level can can suck a fat one.

The Cave of Wonders Escape level was the bane of my existence. Some of those "run from the rolling boulder" sections had some pretty tricky jumps at the end. Clumsy impatient little Chimpzy f'ed those up so many times. Young me only ever got past that level once, although that one time I got past I did make it to Jafar in one stretch. I remember being really upset when I lost that bossfight and had to start over.

Drathnoxis:

I wouldn't go as far as hallmark, but Genesis Aladdin and The Lion King (Jungle Book not so much, IMO) were a good deal better, albeit hard as balls, than your average licensed platformer at the time (Capcom and Konami both got in a fair number too).

So, the circle of life has come full circle. A new book has been opened in nostalgia. I know that we should live on the bare necessities of life, but in the 21st century, we live in a more advanced world than man villages. If you don't believe me, I can show you the world. So be prepared, as we feel the love tonight, and be glad that you have a friend like me.

Hakuna matata.

Never played the Jungle Book game, but frequently rented out Aladdin and Lion King when I was a young kid (to the extent I don't know why my parents didn't just buy me the games, it would have been cheaper in the long run). I remember I got quite far in Aladdin but I could never get past the first few levels of Lion King, I think I got stuck on the Elephant Graveyard level.

I may pick these up when they're a bit cheaper, if just to stick it to young me by finally getting further than I ever did as a kid.

Chimpzy:

RaikuFA:

The Cave of Wonders Escape level was the bane of my existence. Some of those "run from the rolling boulder" sections had some pretty tricky jumps at the end. Clumsy impatient little Chimpzy f'ed those up so many times. Young me only ever got past that level once, although that one time I got past I did make it to Jafar in one stretch. I remember being really upset when I lost that bossfight and had to start over.

Drathnoxis:

I wouldn't go as far as hallmark, but Genesis Aladdin and The Lion King (Jungle Book not so much, IMO) were a good deal better, albeit hard as balls, than your average licensed platformer at the time (Capcom and Konami both got in a fair number too).

Those three levels were just horrible. Thankfully the game gets a lot easier after the Genie level.

I had the Lion King when I was younger on our old PC.

I remember getting to one of the last levels.
It was a lava level and there was a part with a drop down right at the far end and I could see a river of lava below but I could never figure out how to get any further. There was no way to jump back up or go forward so I remained stuck :(

I don't remember having too much trouble with the Elephant Graveyard, but I do remember cursing giraffes and monkeys for a while after playing the I Just Can't Wait to be King bit!

captainsavvy:
I had the Lion King when I was younger on our old PC.

I remember getting to one of the last levels.
It was a lava level and there was a part with a drop down right at the far end and I could see a river of lava below but I could never figure out how to get any further. There was no way to jump back up or go forward so I remained stuck :(

That got me too. The trick was to swipe at a stalectite enough so that it fell down.

captainsavvy:
I don't remember having too much trouble with the Elephant Graveyard, but I do remember cursing giraffes and monkeys for a while after playing the I Just Can't Wait to be King bit!

Those damn dirty apes!

Or monkeys, but my point still stands. :(

Of those 3, jungle book was the only game i didn't beat, it's been years but my revenge is finally upon at hand!

Otherwise Lion King gave me some trouble (though contrary to some here, i loved the "can't wait to be king" level, i love good platforming levels, it's the combat and boss parts i sucked at as a kid and would usually run past enemies rather then fight) but Aladdin was super easy, it's one of those rare games I just aced on my first playthrough, I think even now I could just pick it up and beat it with maybe, 3 lives lost tops.

How does being sold through GOG translate to "online play"? Does this site's writers even know what words mean?

Chimpzy:

Drathnoxis:

Oh, I played it on SNES, it wasn't as good? Maybe that's why I wasn't too impressed.

Drathnoxis:

Chimpzy:

Drathnoxis:

Oh, I played it on SNES, it wasn't as good? Maybe that's why I wasn't too impressed.

Actually, the SNES version (coincidentally developed by Capcom) is generally considered the one with the better gameplay, while the Genesis (by Virgin Interactive) had better graphics that looked more like the movie. Neither can really stand up to the best platformers either platform had to offer though.

I stand by my point that they were better than the majority of licensed games at the time. Then again, that's not much of a baseline. Back then, even an average licensed game seemed like a revelation compared to the dross that would generally get regurgitated onto a cartridge, so your mileage may vary.

Chimpzy:
Actually, the SNES version (coincidentally developed by Capcom) is generally considered the one with the better gameplay, while the Genesis (by Virgin Interactive) had better graphics that looked more like the movie. Neither can really stand up to the best platformers either platform had to offer though.

I stand by my point that they were better than the majority of licensed games at the time. Then again, that's not much of a baseline. Back then, even an average licensed game seemed like a revelation compared to the dross that would generally get regurgitated onto a cartridge, so your mileage may vary.

Huh, I didn't know that they had different developers, neat!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here