Suicide Squad Annihilates Box Office Record

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Suicide Squad Annihilates Box Office Record

Suicide Squad Box Office #1

Suicide Squad slays the August box office record held by Guardians of the Galaxy.

Despite middling reviews, Suicide Squad topped the box office this past weekend, easily breaking the previous record for an August opening weekend. It grossed $133.7 million, almost $40 million more than the previous record holder, Guardians of the Galaxy. This is in spite of a Friday-to-Saturday drop over 40%. That's an unexpectedly big opening for Warner Bros., which has to be more than pleased.

Jason Bourne dropped over 60% in its second week of release, grossing $22.4 million. That's a larger drop than Star Trek Beyond's second week, although Bourne's budget was significantly lower. Speaking of Star Trek, Beyond dropped another 58.58% to fifth place, raking in only $10 million. With (so far) disappointing international grosses, and well lower than expected domestic takes, Beyond is looking like a certified bomb.

The other wide release of the weekend was the Kevin Spacey cat movie, Nine Lives. It made an estimated $6.3 million over the weekend, which still feels like too much to me, but probably not enough for its studio, especially given its reported $30 million budget.

Here is the top ten for the weekend:

1. Suicide Squad ($133.7 million, week 1)
2. Jason Bourne ($22.4 million, week 2)
3. Bad Moms ($14 million, week 2)
4. The Secret Life of Pets ($11.5 million, week 5)
5. Star Trek Beyond ($10 million, week 3)
6. Nine Lives ($6.3 million, week 1)
7. Lights Out ($6 million, week 3)
8. Nerve ($4.9 million, week 2)
9. Ghostbusters ($4.7 million, week 4)
10. Ice Age: Collision Course ($4.3 million, week 3)

Source: BoxOfficeMojo

Quality has absolutely nothing to do with how much money something makes. I expect sales to drop off substantially though.

I guess saying 'Suicide Squad Kills at the Box Office' would be an oxymoron?

PsychicTaco115:

More like redundant.

OT: Good for it, let's see how it does next weekend. To it's credit, it is getting decent user reviews, which is better than some of the other big movies this year.

crimson5pheonix:

PsychicTaco115:

More like redundant.

OT: Good for it, let's see how it does next weekend. To it's credit, it is getting decent user reviews, which is better than some of the other big movies this year.

It seems to be pretty mixed reviews from the audience, but the fanboys are always going to be the loudest. I'll let you know what I think about it once it hits Netflix.

mduncan50:

crimson5pheonix:

PsychicTaco115:

More like redundant.

It seems to be pretty mixed reviews from the audience, but the fanboys are always going to be the loudest. I'll let you know what I think about it once it hits Netflix.

Waiting for an unedited cut seems like a pretty solid strategy.

crimson5pheonix:

mduncan50:

crimson5pheonix:

More like redundant.

Well at this point it's like waiting for the collector's edition of a game, so you're not paying twice to get the whole experience.

"133.7 Million" Dollars opening, huh? So you could say that this movie made leet money? :P

Still, I'm glad this movie is doing pretty well, at least for it's first week. Hopefully, DC at least makes some money off of it.

I say this as a person who really liked Suicide Squad; I'm not sure if this movie will make the money DC and Warner Brothers wants it to.

The main problem isn't so much opening weekend, DC's got that locked down tight. The real problem is that is that the DC movies so far are 'front loaded', meaning they will make vast amounts of money opening weekend and then sink like a stone the weekend after. Granted, drop offs are common for all movies but for a situation like Warner Brothers where they spent 175 Million USD... not including marketing... and they had to use reshoots... and they get bad critical reception AS WELL AS bad word of mouth from movie goers... and they lose out on China because of its controversial content (China is a HUGE box office market) and it's not looking great.

The movie will not flop, that much is certain, but DC clearly would like to be doing Marvel Money and reach that ever distant Billion Dollar box office.

The question is how long you can make movies that either lose money or barely break even before something gives away?

And I want to see the DC movies too. I want to see the Justice League movies and the solo Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg movies. I'm not sure how this model the DCEU has will last.

Burnouts3s3:
I say this as a person who really liked Suicide Squad; I'm not sure if this movie will make the money DC and Warner Brothers wants it to.

The main problem isn't so much opening weekend, DC's got that locked down tight. The real problem is that is that the DC movies so far are 'front loaded', meaning they will make vast amounts of money opening weekend and then sink like a stone the weekend after. Granted, drop offs are common for all movies but for a situation like Warner Brothers where they spent 175 Million USD... not including marketing... and they had to use reshoots... and they get bad critical reception AS WELL AS bad word of mouth from movie goers... and they lose out on China because of its controversial content (China is a HUGE box office market) and it's not looking great.

The movie will not flop, that much is certain, but DC clearly would like to be doing Marvel Money and reach that ever distant Billion Dollar box office.

The question is how long you can make movies that either lose money or barely break even before something gives away?

And I want to see the DC movies too. I want to see the Justice League movies and the solo Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg movies. I'm not sure how this model the DCEU has will last.

I found suicide squad to be bad. Not as bad as I feared, but FAR from as good as I'd hoped. The good parts were in the trailer for the most part.

For me, this is gonna be my lesson. I'm done. When the next DC movie rolls around I will not be one of those suckered into a premiere.

It boggles my mind that Marvel seem to be hitting home runs every damn time no matter what people they use for the movie, both actors and directors/writers. While DC cant seem to make a good superhero movie not about batman to save their life. Not even a good supervillain movie. Goddamnit DC. Why do you keep fucking up, PLEASE get rid of Znyder for the love of god! And hire some competent writers for gods sake.

Made more it's opening weekend than The New Ghostbusters has made so far.

The real test is going to be how much fall off it has next weekend. Name recognition gets people in the first weekend, but if it sucks people won't be coming back.

Glad its doing great. It only confirms that movie critics live in there own world how they see movies to the general public. No I'm not a DC or a Marvel fanboy, actually I am a bit sick of the superhero genre. But what I am more sick of is the movie critics lamenting over dumb fun movies like Transformers, FastAndFurious. Remember Equilibrium? Shit was dope but critics slammed it, Predator also If I remember. Half of them failed film school and they screech at every new movie and how they would ebbin make Citizen Kane if they had it there way. And to think that even Citizen Kane was not that of a popular movie when it initially released.

crimson5pheonix:

Bare in mind the extended cuts of Green Lantern and Batman V Superman are somehow worse.

I'm putting it down to Margot Robbie in hot pants, a lot of people would pay money to see that on a big screen.

tzimize:

I found suicide squad to be bad. Not as bad as I feared, but FAR from as good as I'd hoped. The good parts were in the trailer for the most part.

For me, this is gonna be my lesson. I'm done. When the next DC movie rolls around I will not be one of those suckered into a premiere.

It boggles my mind that Marvel seem to be hitting home runs every damn time no matter what people they use for the movie, both actors and directors/writers. While DC cant seem to make a good superhero movie not about batman to save their life. Not even a good supervillain movie. Goddamnit DC. Why do you keep fucking up, PLEASE get rid of Znyder for the love of god! And hire some competent writers for gods sake.

Call me an optimist, call me a fool, but I have a good 'feeling' about Wonder Woman. I think Patty Jenkins might be able to pull it off.

I don't know why I find this so hard to believe. I saw it last night and the theater was dead.

Like 5 people in total. I wonder if they're inflating the numbers a little

PsychicTaco115:

Ummm...I don't know. Not... necessarily? The phrase in itself is vague enough. Argh, stop this confusion!!

OT: No surprise...highly marketed interesting premise not affected by critic reviews. This sends a somewhat mixed message. But they need to be less focus tested/corporate controlled experiments and more labours of creative love and ambition.

tzimize:

It probably has something to do with the fact that Marvel has much better written characters in general, with lots of excellent stories to draw inspiration from, while aside from Batman and a few gems here and there DC comics have generally been pretty meh all around, good enough for a read, not good enough to be exceptional in any fashion. That, and DC is primarily just trying to coast by off of Name Recognition rather than on making good movies. DC is still making money off of coasting by on Name Recognition at this point so they haven't bothered to try to do better.

Who the fuck keeps watching Ice Age movies?

I know I know "muh children" parents have some level of quality control. Besides that there's at least 2 other animated movies that you don't certainly know will be shit. What parents still drag their kids to see Ice Age despite this?

crimson5pheonix:

PsychicTaco115:

More like redundant.

Pretty much like Warcraft did, Critics slated it but the film was received with some praise from general movie goers.

OT: Honestly this film is hit and miss.

On one hand the actors portrayed their roles very well, and the casting was pretty much on point.

The writing and choppy editing however really does show.

It's a shame cause this film could of been fantastic. I mean i still enjoyed it (Hats of to Will Smith and Margot Robbie) and ill undoubtedly see it again, but yeh could of been much better

This is good and bad news depending on how you look at it. Good in that it will encourage WB to persevere with the DC Cinematic Universe; bad in that it will probably be mediocre. Then again they could learn from their mistakes and be all the better for it. Give them a couple of years.

mduncan50:

crimson5pheonix:

PsychicTaco115:

More like redundant.

What, other than possible anecdotal evidence, is pointing to the idea that the positive user reception is just a vocal fanboy minority?

You might prove otherwise, but from my experience, the reception seems pretty positive. The worst complaints I see are that the editing is kind of bad. But those people still seem to generally think it's a good movie overall.

The most fanboyism I see is just specific to the guy who made the Rottentomatoes petition. But even that is less 'fanboyism', and more trying to get across the statement that reviewer opinions are not at all reflective of how much people will enjoy a movie.

Ukomba:

The real test is going to be how much fall off it has next weekend. Name recognition gets people in the first weekend, but if it sucks people won't be coming back.

It's over-simplified and snarky, but what comes to mind is: You can get away with implicitly insulting your target audience, just not explicitly insulting your target audience.

Is...is a 40% drop between Friday and Saturday normal?

I mean, Ghostbusters only dropped 5% Friday to Saturday. Civil War only dropped 20%. I guess next weekend will tell the tale.

From what I've heard, this is one of those movies that seems to have audiences and critics pretty split. I'm seeing it tomorrow as it's cheap movie night, but I'm expecting it to be a good time.

I wonder if Marvel will release the next Guardians during August. Just to see...

Ukomba:

Name recognition? More fandom IMHO.

Once the hardcore fans have seen it, they will be the first to the screens, who knows what will happen ...

While I enjoyed Suicide Squad, I honestly think the whole film feels kinda condensed. If there had been another half hour to full hour of additional runtime (which, yes, I know is too much to ask for) then the movie would have come across much better. This seems to be a problem for DC though, as such was a big issue in Batman vs. Superman, among other things. If they wouldn't try and push so many plot points into one movie, then the movies would feel so rushed. Such is my opinion at least, take it as you will.

immortalfrieza:

tzimize:

It probably has something to do with the fact that Marvel has much better written characters in general, with lots of excellent stories to draw inspiration from, while aside from Batman and a few gems here and there DC comics have generally been pretty meh all around, good enough for a read, not good enough to be exceptional in any fashion. That, and DC is primarily just trying to coast by off of Name Recognition rather than on making good movies. DC is still making money off of coasting by on Name Recognition at this point so they haven't bothered to try to do better.

See, I refuse to believe that. I mean, the people up top are businessmen right? Even they must understand that its more valuable, especially in the long run, to just make GOOD MOVIES. Then you can still coast off name recognizion, save on commercials, and still earn truckloads because the movie is actually GOOD. And fans will want to see the NEXT one. It should be like explaining dirt to grass, it should be basic stuff. If they were gonna do ONE superhero movie and be done with it, sure I can see cynical morons on top just milking the audience with a shit movie...but they are franchising and sequalizing all over the place, they MUST want to make good stuff.

Captain Chemosh:
While I enjoyed Suicide Squad, I honestly think the whole film feels kinda condensed. If there had been another half hour to full hour of additional runtime (which, yes, I know is too much to ask for) then the movie would have come across much better. This seems to be a problem for DC though, as such was a big issue in Batman vs. Superman, among other things. If they wouldn't try and push so many plot points into one movie, then the movies would feel so rushed. Such is my opinion at least, take it as you will.

I agree. The big problem with DC movies in general is the writing. The extended SvB was a lot better, but still mostly a boring mess. Suicide squad was just plain bad, because the writer obviously hadnt handled the characters well. Will Smith was playing Will Smith, and I did NOT want to see the villain with a heart of sort of gold in this movie. IT WAS SO LAME! And HQ seemed mad when that was fun and funny when that was fun. They dont respect their characters, they just wring whatever scenes they want out of them and move on.

I'm not surprised. Most audiences are easily satisfied, and my experience with superhero fans (aka most of my friends) is that they especially are willing to ignore and/or forgive a lot of crappy film making as long as they can watch a pretty decent portrayal of their favourite heroes romp about.

And I have to say, yeah that disappoints me a bit. I wished people would look a little deeper, be more critical and disconcerting. If only so I, y'know, have someone to talk to about that stuff. That'd be nice...

I'm lonely.

Josh123914:
Who the fuck keeps watching Ice Age movies?

I know I know "muh children" parents have some level of quality control. Besides that there's at least 2 other animated movies that you don't certainly know will be shit. What parents still drag their kids to see Ice Age despite this?

Most people, parents included, don't give a shit about movies as a medium/art-form. Case in point; this actual news. They just want simple entertainment. Critics however don't. Hell, parents are probably already happy they have something they can just zone out to while their children are engrossed and distracted.

Kibeth41:

mduncan50:

crimson5pheonix:

More like redundant.

What, other than possible anecdotal evidence, is pointing to the idea that the positive user reception is just a vocal fanboy minority?

You might prove otherwise, but from my experience, the reception seems pretty positive. The worst complaints I see are that the editing is kind of bad. But those people still seem to generally think it's a good movie overall.

The most fanboyism I see is just specific to the guy who made the Rottentomatoes petition. But even that is less 'fanboyism', and more trying to get across the statement that reviewer opinions are not at all reflective of how much people will enjoy a movie.

Youtube reviews are pretty much split down the middle, as are the amount of people saying they liked/didn't like it on boards such as this, the fact that the Rotten Tomatoes audience score is at 72% despite the amount of obvious fanboy scores of "5/5 Fuck Reviewers". As for that petition, it's creation, and the first 15,000 or so signatures, predate the release of the movie. So yes, it was blatant fanboyism that had these people convinced enough that the movie was great that they made this petition to try to put people out of work (somehow?) because they didn't give a good enough score to a movie they hadn't seen yet.

well it was a fun movie and I enjoyed it. Had some issues but nothing close to what DC has screwed up before. Good movie go see it

Suicide Squad gets a 26% on RT and pulls in $260 million. Star Trek: Beyond gets an 84% and pulls in just under $200 million.

What does this mean? I'll be fucked if I know. All I can say is that first weekend numbers can be misleading.

(and that Rotten Tomatoes sucks moist donkey ass)

bastardofmelbourne:
Suicide Squad gets a 26% on RT and pulls in $260 million. Star Trek: Beyond gets an 84% and pulls in just under $200 million.

What does this mean? I'll be fucked if I know. All I can say is that first weekend numbers can be misleading.

(and that Rotten Tomatoes sucks moist donkey ass)

Well I honestly didn't even know that there was a new Trek movie coming out until I started seeing reviews. Also, considering how much the Transformers movies pull in, box office has nothing to do with quality.

Ok movie, great cast (Margot <3), it's entertaining but ultimately disappointing. 6/10

I'm just glad another untraditional comic book movie is doing well.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here