Alice Returns to Racoon City in Resident Evil: The Final Chapter Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Alice Returns to Racoon City in Resident Evil: The Final Chapter Trailer

The Resident Evil movie franchise promises to end where it all began in its sixth installment.

While the live-action Resident Evil movies haven't exactly been well-received, as far as I'm concerned they've been pretty fun and certainly have their fair share of enjoyable moments. As such, hearing any news about the long-delayed Final Chapter is bound to be exciting. Today, the first trailer for the promised final chapter of the Resident Evil film franchise dropped.

The trailer sees Alice (Milla Jovovich), the series' protagonist, return to the now-barren Racoon City, which is where the franchise began. She is tasked by the Red Queen to go back to the Hive, an underground laboratory, to put an end to infected she's been fighting against for five previous movies. Alongside a team of survivors - some of whom are from the previous films, many of whom are not - it's time for more slow-motion action scenes against various CGI creatures, Umbrella, and Albert Wesker (Shawn Roberts).

According to cast lists, Jill Valentine (Sienna Guillory), Ada Wong (Bingbing Li), and Leon Kennedy (Johann Urb) are not returning, despite what was promised at the end of Retribution. It remains to be seen if these - admittedly unofficial - cast lists are correct and, if they are, how those characters will be written out of the film/franchise.

While the Resident Evil movies haven't ever been critical successes, they've certainly made money. Through five films, they've had a collective budget of $250 million and have grossed $915 million. The series began in 2002, and will be in its 15th year when The Final Chapter is released - something that not even the most optimistic of people thought would happen.

Directed and written by Paul W.S. Anderson, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is scheduled to hit theaters on January 27, 2017.

Damn, I love these movies. I think I'm going to watch all of the other ones all over again before this comes out.

I think I've like, watched 3 of them *wikis Resident evil*....Still got another 3 films to watch FML. #2 was bad in its cheesiness and #3 I felt like a stoner.

Thank God! As a long time Resident Evil fan, I have fucking hated this damn things. Paul W.S. Anderson is a complete hack and hasn't made a good movie for nearly two decades. The sooner he and his big fat lying mouth (he's a fan of the series, my ass) go the hell away, the better. Thankfully Capcom makes actual Resident Evil movies that are not only canon, but completely curbstomp the Hollywood trash in terms of quality. So good riddance Anderson, and I'd say I hope the door hits you in the ass on the way out, but I don't wish for people to get brain damage.

Resident Evil 1 was great I thought....and they have gotten progressively worse ever since. Until the very last one where they went balls out and stopped trying and it became good again.

Another job initiative to give his wive some work? Cause thats all these movies are... to show off his wife.

Also wasnt racoon city kinda nuked in the second resident evil movie?

So what exactly are they returning to? A smoldering radioactive crater in the middle of nowhere?

"Promises to end..." Heheehe! That little quotey will keep me mildly entertained for a few thought processes.

Finally the long awaited climax to the modern equivalent of Odysseus's saga will come to pass.....

Seriously though I liked the 1st film, and remember finding at least one of the sequels fun enough, before the Resident Evil films completely turned into the Adventures of Super Saiyan Alice, with the actual resident evil characters from the games being the equivalent of Krillin and Yamcha.

They are still using that Laser Hallway gimmick of the first movie?

I mean admitally it is a scary concept being trapped in a hallway to be sliced up by laser lines.

Its like a nightmare.

But stop using it it was scary the first time, it was novel in Resident Evil 4 the game and Extinction, this is just pulling the same magic trick again only this time we know how you do it.

Karadalis:
Another job initiative to give his wive some work? Cause thats all these movies are... to show off his wife.

Pre-fuggin'-cisely. It's like in his mind, the screenplay was "This is my wife. She's hot. She does awesome stuff in this movie. You want her, don't you? I bang her every night. I welcome your rage, nerds."

And when a plot point in your movie is that a virus makes all the Earth's water evaporate, you need to be kept light years away from a camera.

Samtemdo8:
They are still using that Laser Hallway gimmick of the first movie?

I mean admitally it is a scary concept being trapped in a hallway to be sliced up by laser lines.

Its like a nightmare.

But stop using it it was scary the first time, it was novel in Resident Evil 4 the game and Extinction, this is just pulling the same magic trick again only this time we know how you do it.

Since the plot sees the character return to the Hive, it makes sense for them to go through the various areas it features, which includes the laser room.

The first movie was the only good one.

Silentpony:
The first movie was the only good one.

The first and second one because both movies were the more faithful and were made when RE was still Survival Horror.

The 3rd one is when everything went wrong.

none of them any good. not even the first one. besides some good scenes like the laser hallway and some good looking zombies, thats was it. the last one had at least a creative beginning with a very good music that i still like listening to.
but at least this all comes to an end. maybe this one may get back some horror. but i doubt that.

"This Film Is Not Yet Rated"

So there is very little hope that it is PG-13 & that I will skip it!
Why?
Because I saw Deadpool! Therefore I don't care for PG-13 Movies anymore.
On the other hand if it is Rated R it wouldn't kill me to watch it.
After all it can't be worse than Splice, AVPR, or Prometheus.

Karadalis:

Also wasnt racoon city kinda nuked in the second resident evil movie?

So what exactly are they returning to? A smoldering radioactive crater in the middle of nowhere?

Yeah it was nuked. But Alice has the powers of Mary Sue, so she'll be immune. So now she'll be fighting radioactive zombies, and Bethesda may sue.

Did I miss a movie? I thought they were at DC with Wesker, who gave Alice back her powers even though he previously took them away, and surrounded by a horde of monsters. Mind you, it wouldn't be the first time the series has wasted a good premise in the first ten minutes of the sequel. (Looking at you army of Alice's who all got taken out like mooks)

Not gonna lie, these are popcorn, turn off my brain and watch movies for me. How it constantly wastes fan favorite characters does get on my nerves. I may watch this with friends.

Saltyk:
Did I miss a movie? I thought they were at DC with Wesker, who gave Alice back her powers even though he previously took them away, and surrounded by a horde of monsters.

There's a part in the trailer where Wesker says "I should've killed you in Washington," so I presume we'll find out that their truce didn't exactly last a long time.

General ramblings based on above posts:

-First film was pretty decent - it didn't feature any characters from the games, but it was clearly using RE1 as an inspiration point, and captured the feeling of survival horror. Second film less so, as we have the start of 'super Alice,' and consequent shafting of actual game characters (Carlos, Jill, etc.). Still, it had a clear frame of reference to RE3, so it still at least functioned. Third film was passable, but it's at this point that we abandon any frame of reference to the games, and have a scenario where the film doesn't even operate on its own rules (the T-virus can cause water to evaporate and is apparently airborne indefinately, but humans can walk around unprotected)? Not a good film, but still passable...just about. But it's the point where the film series jumped the shark as an adaptation, and in the scope of its own continuity.

Haven't seen film 4, but film 5 is utter garbage. Pure, unadulterated garbage. Nothing more to say than that. Maybe film 4 is where the series entered that territory, maybe film 3, but either way, I'm happy to let this series end. It isn't the worst thing ever produced, not the most baffling in terms of longevity (looking at the MCU for instance), but it's nothing to write home about.

-So, this film...well, I'm left to wonder about lingering radiation in Raccoon City, what Issaac's motivations are, or Wesker's, or...okay, what IS Umbrella's motivation at this point? I know the Red Queen is kind of controlling Umbrella goons because she hates humanity now, but...what? I mean, okay, Spencer's plan in the games was "I want to be a god" basically, and Wesker's "social Darwinism, now!" plan was cliche, but had at least had Wesker be built up as a character prior to it, but Christ, this is insane even by the film's standards. And this is a series that began with the premise of a laser hallway that allows intruders some time to escape/dodge the beams before gutting them.

-As a final point, this series feels...well, 'old.' I mean, nowadays, we have stuff like the Walking Dead (both TV and games), that demonstrate that you can have good characters and good writing in a zombie story. Heck, Romero's early Living Dead films showed that (though only seen Night of the Living Dead myself). There's also that even if we take the series in isolation, judging it by its own thing, that Alice just isn't interesting. We know practically nothing about her bar what the novelizations have given us (which, God bless 'em, try their best to fill in the blanks). Five films in and she hasn't developed as a character across those five films. Her one defining trait is "badass," and it's the type of badass that makes everyone around her feel redundant.

-But if I had to give the film credit, returning to the Hive, where it all began? That at least has some promise.

Another adventure with one of the handful of characters that make Rey look like a well rounded character. Joy. Wonder which character from the games she'll be making completely freaking redundant this time? Perhaps it'll be Wesker's broken condom bastard son, Jake. Heaven knows not even references to RE5 can make these movies suck more.

Karadalis:

What's wrong with that? A number of actors, directors, writers, etc. have done that for decades because the studios typecasted people, or dropping people for some stupid reason.

Also, wow, you guys hate this film series with a fiery passion. What did it do to deserve it?

So does this mean that resident evil is the most successful video game movie of all time?

Yay, I'm excited we're finally getting another one (and hopefully this will be the last; I'd like the story to be over at some point here). I really enjoyed the other movies, and the last one especially. It was the only time in the entire series where I really got where umbrella was coming from all along: that humans were completely and utterly disposable. Not thrilled to see the red queen or the return to racoon city, though: I liked the idea of a climactic stupid fight where wesker inevitably betrays alice atop a burning white house.

That said, hopefully Milla Jovovich will be free to make other movies now. She's basically a female bruce willis except for boobs and a much broader linguistic ability. I want to see more of her in roles like she had in fifth element where she made up her own language.

TL, DR: I love her new hairstyle. That's my real takeaway from the trailer.

Transdude1996:

Also, wow, you guys hate this film series with a fiery passion. What did it do to deserve it?

Well, can't speak for everyone, but speaking for myself, I don't "hate" the series (there's very few things I truly hate, and few, if any of them would be pieces of fiction), but I can say it's down to the following:

-They're lacklustre adaptations. Now, let me make it clear, an adaptation doesn't need to be loyal to the source to be a good end product. But like any adaptation, those who like the original will take umbrage to see something not represented well, and at the end of the day, the RE films are poor representations of the games. They only really adapt anything from the games for the first two films, and then do their own thing, with the only shared elements being shared names. It's telling that the main character of the series (Alice) isn't even a game character, and constantly makes actual game characters redundant. It would be the equivalent of John Doe being inserted into Lord of the Rings and making the Fellowship a waste of space as he does everything for them - wiser than Gandalf, more pure-hearted than Frodo, a better swordsman than Aragorn, etc. It's what you see in the worst of fanfiction, when an OC starts taking away the spotlight from the main characters. Now apply this to a feature length movie.

-So, fine, let's forget the adaptation element, how do they stack up as films? Well, in my opinion, not very well. Even confining them to their own universe, each film, for me, has been weaker than the one before it. The story is all over the place, Alice is a 2D character, the action is over the top, even by the standards of action films, and there's the sense (to me at least) that there's no great plan for an actual storyline, just "what cool stuff can we do?" It's the same problem that many have cited with the Transformers - "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." And this is just me, but even action films need to have the basics of storytelling down - good plot, good characters, etc. For me, the Resident Evil films haven't had these elements for a long time.

So no, I don't hate them. Whatever hyperbole I use on the Internet, it's not worth truly 'hating' a piece of fiction. But I certainly have little love for them. Which is a shame, because I thought the series started off on quite a decent note. It ironically mirrors the course the RE games have taken for me, and why RE5 was the last Resident Evil game I played.

Transdude1996:

Karadalis:

What's wrong with that? A number of actors, directors, writers, etc. have done that for decades because the studios typecasted people, or dropping people for some stupid reason.

Also, wow, you guys hate this film series with a fiery passion. What did it do?

It fucking sucked, not even being an enjoyable popcorn flick. They are failures on their own and even more so as adaptions. The protagonist, Alice, is a fucking Mary Sue literally given superpowers. Characters from the games, who are at least somewhat flawed, constantly show up and get shown up by Alice. To quote the poster above it would be the equivalent of John Doe being inserted into Lord of the Rings and making the Fellowship a waste of space as he does everything for them - wiser than Gandalf, more pure-hearted than Frodo, a better swordsman than Aragorn, etc. Doing everything better than everyone and almost, if not outright never, being challenged.

Viruses are even more ridiculous than in the games, being able to somehow drain the world's oceans. Yet few, if any, seem to be affected by the world not having any more water. If you can not answer the question "what do they eat?" (or in this case, drink) you have failed as a writer. Of course this would not be a problem if it was not a plot point that a fucking virus had somehow drained the world's oceans in the first place.

I do not ask for action movie to have the greatest story in the world, but the action needs to at least be interesting. When the main character has superpowers, he/she needs to be going up against equals. When the entire fucking world's oceans are drained or made radioactive, it needs to affect everyone and not just a few idiots who lie down begging for water, never moving no matter how much you give them to drink. You do not get to have such a massive fucking plot point and ask me not to think about it.

Transdude1996:

Karadalis:

ITs garbage and another example of a director who claims to be a "fan" of the source material just to shit all over it, hogging the license for OVER A DECADE (first movie came out 2002) and who inserted a mary sue character that is so hyper competent you might aswell put in batman into the A-team.. wich also happens to be his wife.. how coincidantel.

Also please show me another decade long franchise where the spouse of the screenwriter is the only competent badass character on screen.. yeah.. good luck with that.

If these movies where anything else but to show off how awesome and sexy his wife is there would be some redeeming quality... but there isnt.. she isnt even a great actor for crying out loud! Looking pretty infront of a camera doesnt talent make im afraid.

These movies only exist for a simple reason:

To double cash in.

Anderson gets paid for his hackjob "screenwriting" while showing off how awesome his wife is to the world and how much better she is then any other (especialy those loser chars based on their game equivalents) character in the movie, and jovovich herselfe... whos only income nowadays seems to be to play a mary sue in the resident evil movie franchise. Cause she has asmuch charm and talent in these movies then a dead fish.

The action scenes are passable and sometimes theres some cool scenes in the movies... problem is those scenes are limited to ONE character only.. and you get 3 guesses who that character is... remind you: this has been going on for over 10 years now (resident evil 2 was 2004)

Also "hate" is a strong word thats thrown around way to easaly.. how about "annoyed" or "eye rolling" or "again? really?" Those express atleast what i feel better then "hate"

Typical. I bought the 'complete' Resident Evil box-set from Amazon literally last month, so of course a new film has been announced. No doubt if I ordered the 'definitive' Half Life collection H3 would be on the shelves by Christmas. *grumble*

That small gripe aside, I look forward to seeing how the series gets wrapped up. The series as a whole has been pretty enjoyable, in an 'insert popcorn, unplug brain' kinda way, although I say that as someone who hasn't played the games and therefore has no idea of how true (or false) the films have been to the game lore.

008Zulu:
Yeah it was nuked. But Alice has the powers of Mary Sue, so she'll be immune. So now she'll be fighting radioactive zombies, and Bethesda may sue.

To be fair, that Red Queen AI has all the hallmarks of a Vault-Tec Overseer.

You mean that Resident Evil is not to show off Milla Jovovich because she's married to Paul Anderson who writes the movies?
And somewhere I read that she stated she does the role because she's allowed to run around in a skimpy dress and hold guns.

Grouchy Imp:
No doubt if I ordered the 'definitive' Half Life collection H3 would be on the shelves by Christmas.

You have piqued my scientific curiosity. Go purchase the Half Life games. Go buy them now. Now I say!

008Zulu:

Grouchy Imp:
No doubt if I ordered the 'definitive' Half Life collection H3 would be on the shelves by Christmas.

You have piqued my scientific curiosity. Go purchase the Half Life games. Go buy them now. Now I say!

My problem is that Alice is the literal definition of a Mary Sue character. Not what it's been twisted to mean but the actual definition. She's a character inserted into an existing property who is better at anything and everything than the existing cast. Everyone loves her and no one can do anything without her. Seriously in any scene where there is a monster none of the other characters are allowed to kill it. If it even looks like someone other than Alice is going to kill a monster, the scene stops long enough for her to come in and killsteal.

rembrandtqeinstein:
Resident Evil 1 was great I thought....and they have gotten progressively worse ever since. Until the very last one where they went balls out and stopped trying and it became good again.

that was my opinion as well i loved the first film

So much salt in this thread .. so much.

It all makes sense now! It's not GreyScale that Jorah has, it's the T-Virus activating! And he's not off searching for the cure, he has to go take care of Alice and come back to Westeros with a legion of zombies!!

Make it so.

Transdude1996:

Maybe, as others have said a few times now, because the entire franchise is a soulless b-movie trainwreck?

I've not seen all of them - in fact I can't remember which ones I have seen, as they just blur indistinctly and artlessly into one sprawling mess. But they embody compromise; the studios settle for the budget/casting and returns, and the 'fans' settle for a kind of watered down outsiders mainstream take on the series. It limps on, never really making waves, but doing enough to get by. It's a pathetic series (which brings the Underworld franchise to mind, funnily enough).

...then again given Resi's first game, perhaps it and the source material are spiritually perfect for each other.

I'd also suggest it continues to give videogame adaptations a bad name, but I'm not sure the Resi films make any pop cultural impact for that to matter, and all the other adaptations tend to suck hard all on their own terms as well.

Grouchy Imp:

008Zulu:

Grouchy Imp:

Just wanted to show my appreciation for a fellow Young Frankenstein fan.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here