Metroid Prime 4 Teased in Federation Force Ending

Metroid Prime 4 Teased in Federation Force Ending

A post-credits scene at the end of Metroid Prime Federation Force is possibly teasing a new (proper) Metroid Prime game.

Metroid Prime Federation Force was the Metroid game nobody asked for (and nobody really liked) but a post-credits scene may have something for you patient, die-hard Metroid fans. The scene, which you can see in the video to the right, seems to strongly tease the existence of a new main series Metroid Prime game. Be warned that it does contain some mild Federation Force spoilers, if you are one of the five people who actually plan on playing it.

Confused? GameXplain has put together a video explaining the scene. Essentially, Slyux, a character from the DS's Metroid Prime: Hunters, is shown breaking into a Federation base and hatching a Metroid egg. The significance of this is that Metroid Prime's produced, Kensuke Tanabe has previously expressed interest in making a new Metroid Prime game that focused on the rivalry between Slyux and Samus.

So what do you guys think? Is this a shot-in-the-dark, with fans desperately hoping for a new, proper Metroid, or are they on to something here?

Source: GameXplain

If I'm remembering it correctly, the secret ending to Prime 3 showed Sylux tailing Samus's ship, so whatever is happening next we're sure to see him return for it.

As I said in a different thread. I'm hoping for another game that plays in a similar fashion to Other M. Considering that I'd say that game probably had some of the best gameplay out of all of the Metroid games, aside from the occasional "scan for some really obscure shit" section.

I also wouldn't mind if they gave her a voice again. Just avoid the character assassination.

Of course, if it exists I doubt it will come to Wii U since...Nintendo is already pimping its next "console" so...ehhh, for the record I would prefer it to stay as far away from Other M as possible and go back to the original Trilogy, but then again unless its on Wii U I have no interest so, what does Nintendo care?

Steven Bogos:
Slyux

Just FYI, it's Sylux ^_^

OT: God yes, I need this. Given Prime 3's ending had Sylux tailing Samus into hyperspace or whatever, this teaser ties in with the teaser ending of Prime 3. If Nintendo makes Prime 4 and it's an NX launch title, well...that's how you make me buy the NX. Please Nintendo. Please.

What ever happened to Retro making "Metroid: Dread" as a 2d Platformer for the handhelds? I would love that.
I doubt I'm going to get an NX, so I really hope they don't hold Metroid hostage on it.

'Bout time they did something with Sylux. As someone who played Hunters (actually, it was my introduction to the series sadly enough), I felt like the other Hunters had a lot of potential, especially him. The Prime 3 teaser gave us hope, but that was before Other M and nearly a decade of neglect of the Metroid franchise. I'm surprised they're still holding onto it after all this time, but better late than never.

But will they ever, in fact, address the aftermath of Metroid Fusion?

So long as they don't let Yoshio Sakamoto get involved any more than just a special mention, like in the Prime trilogy.

Steven Bogos:

Metroid Prime Federation Force was the Metroid game nobody asked for (and nobody really liked)

Baloney. The most positive reviews on metacritic said it was "perhaps one of my favorite FPS games ever" and called it a "wonderful experience". So saying that "nobody really liked" it is an outright falsehood.

Don't pull our heart-strings without following through, Nintendo!

Souplex:
What ever happened to Retro making "Metroid: Dread" as a 2d Platformer for the handhelds? I would love that.
I doubt I'm going to get an NX, so I really hope they don't hold Metroid hostage on it.

It seems like the NX is going to replace both, the 3DS and the Wii U. At least these are the vibes a lot of enthusiasts get from all the leaks due to the NX seemingly being able to be completely portable.

So therefore, Nintendo very well might be releasing only on the NX.

Eh, I prefer the 2D metroids like Metroid Fusion.

Steven Bogos:
Metroid Prime Federation Force was the Metroid game nobody asked for (and nobody really liked)

Doesn't the Metacritic link demonstrate that the game has had a mixed, net positive reception? At this time of writing it has a 71 metascore - not exactly a ringing endorsement, but it's hardly a net negative either.

FalloutJack:

Hate to be 'that guy,' and goodness knows I've played around with post-Fusion scenarios in fanfiction, but is a sequel really needed?

Granted, any sequel is unnecessary by definition bar its predecessor ending with a cliffhanger, but Fusion does end on quite an optimistic note. Metroids are gone (again), the Space Pirates are still gone, SR-388 is gone, Zebes is long gone, Samus is in reasonably good cheer, and, yeah. That seems like a good place to leave an overall story to me. Granted, if a sequel to Fusion was announced I'd be excited, but I feel Nintendo might have the right idea with the series so far. It hasn't done anything to undermine the ending of Fusion in the way some sequels undermine their predecessors, but we're still getting Metroid games regardless.

Guess people HAVE to buy this now to show their support for new metroid.

Hawki:

Steven Bogos:

Doesn't the Metacritic link demonstrate that the game has had a mixed, net positive reception? At this time of writing it has a 71 metascore - not exactly a ringing endorsement, but it's hardly a net negative either.

FalloutJack:

Hate to be 'that guy,' and goodness knows I've played around with post-Fusion scenarios in fanfiction, but is a sequel really needed?

Granted, any sequel is unnecessary by definition bar its predecessor ending with a cliffhanger, but Fusion does end on quite an optimistic note. Metroids are gone (again), the Space Pirates are still gone, SR-388 is gone, Zebes is long gone, Samus is in reasonably good cheer, and, yeah. That seems like a good place to leave an overall story to me. Granted, if a sequel to Fusion was announced I'd be excited, but I feel Nintendo might have the right idea with the series so far. It hasn't done anything to undermine the ending of Fusion in the way some sequels undermine their predecessors, but we're still getting Metroid games regardless.

Considering what Other M turned Adam into, no continuation to Fusion is probably at least partially a good thing due to all the implications.

Unless Other M gets declared non-canon anyway or the AI is axed off in the tutorial.

Hawki:
That Guy

Halyah:
This Girl

Nobody said need, but I'd like one. Is it wrong to want?

FalloutJack:

Hawki:
That Guy

Halyah:
This Girl

Nobody said need, but I'd like one. Is it wrong to want?

I'm with ya. Fusion was my first Metroid game, and it ending with Samus on the run from the Federation for blowing up their station always intrigued me. I'd definitely love to see a continuation.

Hawki:

Steven Bogos:

Subtlety and nuance are not something the internet is capable of accepting due to the echo chamber effect and metabombing.

FalloutJack:

From what I understand Sakamoto has said the reason they haven't done anything post-Fusion is because he's stumped for a hook. And it's not hard to see why considering how Fusion ended. He probably could do a new game, but it would require some drastic shifting as they can't just have Samus coming back like nothing happened.

Aiddon:

From what I understand Sakamoto has said the reason they haven't done anything post-Fusion is because he's stumped for a hook. And it's not hard to see why considering how Fusion ended. He probably could do a new game, but it would require some drastic shifting as they can't just have Samus coming back like nothing happened.

One of the reasons I'd like to see one. If he managed it, it would be different and probably good.

YES, FUCK YES, YES, FUCK FUCK.

FalloutJack:

Aiddon:

One of the reasons I'd like to see one. If he managed it, it would be different and probably good.

Considering he's to blame for how Other M turned out storywise, you'd be better off hoping he never gets to touch Metroid ever again.

Do I want a sequel to Fusion though? Certainly. Its just that the circumstances being what they are kinda taints the idea in my eyes due to Other M messing everything up so badly.

Souplex:

Sadly, it was never more than a rumour. Assuming it was ever real at all, safe to say it was likely cancelled in the early stages.

Hawki:

I don't know, I'd argue Fusion ends on a note that is optimistic yet simultaneously foreboding. It's optimistic because all previously established threats are dealt with, likely permanently at long last. At the same time, there's also a noticeable foreboding as the Galactic Federation that had, up til then been the good guys hiring Samus in most games, are revealed to actually not be so good afterall. Not outright evil, but definitely tainted by corruption and self-interest with the clear potential to become a serious problem that needs to be dealt with. As much as people may hate the characterization in the game, Other M's actual plot only further corroborates this, as everything that happens in that game is ENTIRELY the result of some extremely sleazy shit the G Fed was up to, sleazy shit that would have been swept under the rug in the end had Anthony not caught them off guard by surviving. And seeing as Fusion is post-Other M, even with some of their wrongdoings exposed, the corruption clearly hasn't yet been dealt with. So I would argue Fusion very-much still has a sequel hook built into it that could be worked from.

I sure fucking hope this is true, cause Federation Force was a piece of shit, I returned it to Gamestop for a full refund, which is the first time i've ever done that with a game I bought new(I also did it to Colonial Marines, a game I actually enjoyed, but I went for a full refund since that way I would get more then if I just traded it in).

Gizen:

I don't know, I'd argue Fusion ends on a note that is optimistic yet simultaneously foreboding. It's optimistic because all previously established threats are dealt with, likely permanently at long last. At the same time, there's also a noticeable foreboding as the Galactic Federation that had, up til then been the good guys hiring Samus in most games, are revealed to actually not be so good afterall. Not outright evil, but definitely tainted by corruption and self-interest with the clear potential to become a serious problem that needs to be dealt with. As much as people may hate the characterization in the game, Other M's actual plot only further corroborates this, as everything that happens in that game is ENTIRELY the result of some extremely sleazy shit the G Fed was up to, sleazy shit that would have been swept under the rug in the end had Anthony not caught them off guard by surviving. And seeing as Fusion is post-Other M, even with some of their wrongdoings exposed, the corruption clearly hasn't yet been dealt with. So I would argue Fusion very-much still has a sequel hook built into it that could be worked from.

I'm not averse to that line of thought, but it isn't a guarantee per se. Elements of the Federation could be labeled as corrupt, but it's just as valid to see them as being mis-informed, believing they can control the X parasite. Other M does go down the 'black ops' angle, so to speak, but does seem to reaffirm that the Federation as a whole can be relied upon.

There's also the issue that I'm not sure how you'd merge traditional Metroid gameplay into a scenario where the Federation is the enemy. It doesn't help that the Federation seems to be a 'humans only club' (whereas the original manual showed multiple races), so that raises the issue of enemy variety, and whether Nintendo would run with it (granted, Metroid is one of their darker franchises). But I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that blowing up Earth or Daiban isn't going to roll as well as Zebes or SR-388.

Aiddon:

If he can't find a plot hook to continue the Metroid franchise, he's a bigger dumbass than I thought. After Other M and Fusion, there's clearly a faction in the Federation that's openly evil. That writes itself! Start the Federation civil war, have the infighting be so bad that they can't defend against the Space Pirates, they can't even call in Samus Aran now, have the whole Federation fall apart, build a Death Star. Something, anything.

Hawki:

Gizen:

I'm not averse to that line of thought, but it isn't a guarantee per se. Elements of the Federation could be labeled as corrupt, but it's just as valid to see them as being mis-informed, believing they can control the X parasite. Other M does go down the 'black ops' angle, so to speak, but does seem to reaffirm that the Federation as a whole can be relied upon.

There's also the issue that I'm not sure how you'd merge traditional Metroid gameplay into a scenario where the Federation is the enemy. It doesn't help that the Federation seems to be a 'humans only club' (whereas the original manual showed multiple races), so that raises the issue of enemy variety, and whether Nintendo would run with it (granted, Metroid is one of their darker franchises). But I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that blowing up Earth or Daiban isn't going to roll as well as Zebes or SR-388.

They were also trying to breed Metroids in Fusion for a second time as well, after having seen how it has worked out for themselves and the space pirates previous times. Also they had Ridley and Nightmare's bodies on the ship, but that is slightly more justified as we don't actually know what research they were doing with them and the X cloning them was an accident. But mainly the second hidden attempt to breed Metroids tends to point to corruption or a rogue section in the Galatic Fed as they aren't mis-informed of the danger of a species they had previously ordered to be made extinct because of their threat.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here