PlayStation Now is Coming to PC

PlayStation Now is Coming to PC

playstation now pc

PC gamers will finally be able to play Sony exclusives likes Uncharted and The Last of Us.

PlayStation Now, Sony's streaming service that allows PS4 gamers to play old PS3 titles, is making it's way to PC alongside a special DualShock 4 wireless dongle. That means that PS3 titles that were previously exclusive to Sony gamers like The Last of Us and Journey can now be enjoyed by PC gamers. Rejoice!

Current PlayStation Now subscribers will be able to play the entire library on either their PS4 or PC, while new PC subscribers will instantly get access to the full 400 game catalog currently available. Sony didn't give us an exact time frame but did say that the service would launch "in parts of Europe soon and will come to North America shortly thereafter."

Additionally, the DualShock 4 USB Wireless Adapter launches in early September for $24.99. Anyone who has ever tried to connect a PS3 or PS4 controller to their PC will know that unlike the various Xbox controllers, it's a bit of a hassle. The adapter solves these hassles by letting you connect a DualShock 4 to PC and Mac wirelessly, and will enable every feature of the controller including vibration and motion sensors.

Here are the recommended specs for running PS Now on your PC:

• Windows 7 (SP1), 8.1 or 10
  • 3.5 GHz Intel Core i3 or 3.8 GHz AMD A10 or faster
  • 300 MB or more hard disk space; 2 GB or more of RAM
  • Sound card; USB port

Source: Sony

This is the reason behind the PS Plus price hike.

On another note, fuck that. I need to install the game, not stream it. My internet still sucks.

...What?

No...no...cynicism, save me...

Is this something...really good and awesome?...

So you can't just buy the game and own it you have to pay a subscription, reason i don't own current consoles is because i don't want to have to pay a subscription to play my games.

Yeah, streaming... no. Maybe if I had decent Internet, and a terabyte data plan, yeah I could see it being a good thing.

So, I get to pay a subscription to play old games with horrid input lag and dubious image quality? Oh, be still my heart! Isn't this what we've always wanted?

Sarcasm aside, I don't care. It's not a service I'm interested in and see no reason to partake in it. And that's as a person who never owned a PS3...

This news is far more exciting for the small mention of the wireless controller dongle than it is for the PSNow service. I'll take twenty dongles and zero PSNow subscriptions.

Saelune:
...What?

Depends, this seems like a niche thing for people who are both PS3+4 and PC gamers; PS fans don't give a toss and PC fans would rather they release the game on Steam already.

Plus, the DS3 had analog buttons, DS4 does not.

Devieus:

Saelune:
...What?

Depends, this seems like a niche thing for people who are both PS3+4 and PC gamers; PS fans don't give a toss and PC fans would rather they release the game on Steam already.

So...me?

Also analog buttons?

Sooo... ignoring the PS Now news, their "solution" for their terrible controller support connected to a PC is... an USB-dongle! Couldn't we just get good controllers or drivers?

Steven Bogos:
PlayStation Now, Sony's streaming service that allows PS4 gamers to play old PS3 titles

No.

Playstation Now is a game streaming service that allows people that have a Playstation Network account to rent PS3 games.

Devices that are capable of running the Playstation Now client are:
Playstation 4;
Playstation 3;
Playstation Vita;
Playstation Tv;
4 series 2015 Sony brand Blu-ray players;
8 series 2015 Sony brand Tv models;
9 series 2014 Sony brand Tv models;
16 2015 Samsung brand Smart Tvs;
12 2014 Samsung brand Smart Tv's;
And in the near future Windows 7, 8 or 10 machines.

You wouldn't refer to Netflix as "Netflix's streaming service that allows Roku owners to stream movies", now would you?

Geisterkarle:
Sooo... ignoring the PS Now news, their "solution" for their terrible controller support connected to a PC is... an USB-dongle! Couldn't we just get good controllers or drivers?

Well, the Dualshock 4 is natively recognised by Windows 10 as a Wireless Controller over USB, don't really know about Bluetooth though as I don't have a dongle in my computer.
And for older versions I would recommend http://inputmapper.com/, aside from making your controller work it also allows you to set up macros and map buttons to whatever you want, a nifty piece of software.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Yeah fuck you sony...why can't you just give us a proper release so that we don't have to pay monthly fees and jump through whatever BS you come up with just to have the "privilege" of streaming the game...SPOILER ALERT Internet isn't exactly something most people would call reliable enough to "stream" games

ok, now this all sounds nice since i have always wanted to play journey and the last of us and even the uncharted series, but im really lost here.
does it mean i can buy ps4 games (disc version) and install them?
can i play them with M&K?
when will it be available for australia?
does it mean i have to pay subscriptions?

if someone can clarify that for me, that would be helpful.

So, I looked at PS Now's library of games and while it seems to be quite filled with recognizable games, I'm curious as to why they put stuff like Wheel of Fortune on there, but not Okami HD.

Does this mean I can finally play MGS4? YES!!!

great news! im a pc gamer myself, dont own a ps3/4 but there are some games id like to play but not enough to pay for the whole console. so this is perfect for me.

Metalrocks:
ok, now this all sounds nice since i have always wanted to play journey and the last of us and even the uncharted series, but im really lost here.

if someone can clarify that for me, that would be helpful.

Can't answer the second and third questions. As for the others, assuming that it works like the PS4 version of Playstation Now, it's only PS3 games being streamed, so no PS4 games stuff, and there is a subscription for either $20 a month, or $45 for 3 months.

While that sounds like a lot of money, keep in mind that the Playstation Now currently has hundreds of games available to stream, and more are added each month. If you have an Internet connection that can support streaming, I'd say it's worth it.

Saelune:

Devieus:

Saelune:
...What?

So...me?

Also analog buttons?

Maybe, I don't know you that well, buy me a drink and I might tell you.

And yes, analog buttons. In racing games, some people push harder on the go button because they think it makes them go faster, Sony cashed in on that by making that actually true. It's also used in MGS games by putting aim and fire on the same button.

Well I wouldn't say getting a PS3 controller to work with a PC now is as much of a hassle as it was 4-5 years ago and unless the Adapter comes with a PS4 Controller packaged along with it, I'd say it's cheaper to just buy a Bluetooth dongle if you already have a PS3 or PS4 controller lying around and check out the instructions for getting the drivers to work (In other words look up ScpToolkit). As for PS Now, it still sounds like it's going to be as bad as it is on the PS4. You'll still need an amazing internet service for it to work properly and it's still limited to select countries much to my chagrin when I found out they won't tell you there aren't any servers for it anywhere near you until you buy/try it out but will continue to advertise it for sale in your part of the world. -_-

Chareater:
Does this mean I can finally play MGS4? YES!!!

I wouldn't get my hopes up. Doesn't look like ANY Metal Gear games are up on PS Now sadly. Not even HD Collection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Now_games

Metalrocks:

Metalrocks:

No, Playstation Now is a streaming rental service for PS3 games, same as Netflix is for movies.
You will be able to get access to the bulk of their games through a subscription, but you can also rent games a la cart, only paying for the one game you actually want to play.
Although the subscription service offers a large amount of games, not all games are included in the subscription model and there are games that can only be played by renting them separately.

Uncharted 1, 2, 3, Journey and The Last of Us are all included in the subscription package.

Metalrocks:

This is up for speculation, they might support K&M input, but there is a fair chance that they'll only allow controllers, mostly because Playstation Now also has Online Play with PS3 and other Playstation Now players.
But then again, this is a Windows release that we are talking about, so stuff could possible be spoofed to circumvent this.

Metalrocks:

Couldn't find anything on this, only that it isn't available in Australia. I hear you guys have shoddy internet infrastructure down there?

Metalrocks:

Depends on what you prefer to pay for, subscription or games separately.

At first I was excited, then I googled what Playstation Now actually is....

I think I'll pass seeing as I only really want to play Journey, and I don't want to spend 20 dollars to play that for a month.

RedDeadFred:
At first I was excited, then I googled what Playstation Now actually is....

I think I'll pass seeing as I only really want to play Journey, and I don't want to spend 20 dollars to play that for a month.

Everyone gets a 7 day free trial, that's plenty of time to play Journey.

Streaming my PS4 to my PC when someone is using the TV is bad enough, and that's on the same network (yes both are wired in to the router) that playing action based games is a no no. Not to mention the fact it plays at a sub par resolution to boot, that would be fine if the game didn't lag so much. So doing that, but across the net, nah. Will give it a miss.

Input lag?

Anything involving input lag that isn't part of a trolly Mario Party minigame is bad.

Wireless mice are for hosers.

Coulda had me, Sony. Coulda had me. But streaming rentals of games? No thank you.

Saelune:
...What?

No, its not. Youll get to play old games with horrible input lag and poor performance while paying exorbant subscription prices with no ability to buy the games. Its even worse since PS exclusives are the only ones worth playing to begin with.

Paying more for inferior product? no thanks.

MatthewTheDark:
So, I looked at PS Now's library of games and while it seems to be quite filled with recognizable games, I'm curious as to why they put stuff like Wheel of Fortune on there, but not Okami HD.

Probably licensing. Okami is Capcoms game. see if there are other capcoms games in there. i think capcom may just have said no to streaming for thier games.

thanks for the answers guys. i really thought i can download the entire game and play like this. but looks like thats not the case. must have misunderstood that.

Strazdas:

Probably licensing. Okami is Capcoms game. see if there are other capcoms games in there. i think capcom may just have said no to streaming for thier games.

They have Megaman 9 and 10, Asura's Wrath, Dark Void, DMCHD and 4, the Lost Planet series, a lot of Resident Evil, and a lot of Street Fighter, among other things. I don't think its a licensing thing.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here