Nintendo: "We Have to do Better When We Launch NX"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Oh the Wii U launch...it was painfully obvious Nintendo wasn't ready with anything other than NSMBU and Nintendoland but that's OK! Ubisoft, EA and, others can hold off the hoards for a couple of months while Miyamoto puts those finishing touches on Pikmin 3! People will absolutely buy into that! What's that? EA have burned their bridge before the Wii U had been on store shelves for 90 days? Rayman Legends is being delayed so it can have a multiplatform launch? The only games available are from a year or two ago? Oh...oh...

I don't see how the NX launch can possibly be worse than the Wii U launch unless Nintendo were to just pull a Sega Saturn with a surprise launch when they FINALLY decide to do a direct about the damn thing. I like my Wii U a lot but I really hope the NX is a better console with more support. I played Mass Effect 3 and Arkham City for the first time on my U and I wouldn't mind being that guy who plays Kingdom Hearts 3 or World of Final Fantasy on the NX rather than a console that has trochievos.

omega 616:

What I am saying is open yourself to more third party, release more games than the two staples that you've milked for 20 odd years. Get more first party, more third party ... be a competitor instead a Mario and Zelda machine.Might actually buy a nintendo product then

I listed plenty of games outside those two staples. As I said. Just because YOU PERSONALLY haven't heard of those titles, doesn't mean that they're not very popular among gamers. It's very presumptuous to assume that's the case.

I'm assuming that you don't own a Wii U, nor do you want one. So you wouldn't be looking for games on the console. So it's safe to assume that you'd ignore anything to do with games on the Wii U.

Also, have you ever thought about the possibility that people still WANT new Mario, Zelda and Pokemon titles? And that's probably why they still sell so well?

Kibeth41:

omega 616:

What I am saying is open yourself to more third party, release more games than the two staples that you've milked for 20 odd years. Get more first party, more third party ... be a competitor instead a Mario and Zelda machine.Might actually buy a nintendo product then

I listed plenty of games outside those two staples. As I said. Just because YOU PERSONALLY haven't heard of those titles, doesn't mean that they're not very popular among gamers. It's very presumptuous to assume that's the case.

I'm assuming that you don't own a Wii U, nor do you want one. So you wouldn't be looking for games on the console. So it's safe to assume that you'd ignore anything to do with games on the Wii U.

Also, have you ever thought about the possibility that people still WANT new Mario, Zelda and Pokemon titles? And that's probably why they still sell so well?

You're totally missing my point! I KNOW there are more than two games but they never advertise the fact!

Can we just call it the Nix and skip it to save time?

Yopaz:

They did that with the GameCube, it was more powerful than the PS2 and launched at a lower price if I remember correctly (I might not it's been a long while) and we all saw how that went. It was a major success and Nintendo was swimming in money from the massive sales.

The Gamecube sold better than the Wii U, a lot better in fact.

They also got to the market last, made no effort to promote multi platforms (as per Nintendo's MO, although a lot were released), gave it no multimedia capacity and worst of all they made a product marketed towards teenage boys purple (fricking PURPLE!).

I could only afford one console at the time, I bought a PS2, it was also a DVD player and it could be connected into my sound system, neither of which were possible on the Cube. The Cube never got online support, which PS2 did (clunkily) and Xbox Live was excellent.

I bought a Cube towards the end of it's life cycle and it has some of the finest games ever made on it (notably Metroid Prime/2, Smash Bros Melee, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess), but it was too late and too lacking tech when it arrived. I still have it and love it, but fifteen year old me wasn't even slightly interested in the Purple Mario box when I could have been playing Timesplitters and Metal Gear Solid 2 (and GT3, come to think of it, Nintendo has ignored entire genres to the point that driving and sports games players may as well forget Nintendo even exists).

In the last twenty years Nintendo have had a knack for doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. They decided to stick with cartridges and burned Sony, they ignored DVDs and multimedia capabilities, they struck gold with the Wii, then all but abandoned core gamer and multi-platform releases, they hang onto the Wii about two years too long and release a warmed over gimmick six months before the PCs in boxes arrive.

Right now Nintendo need to release a good multimedia capable box with some really truly fantastic games and a lack of gimmicks (and a half decent download store/account system). They won't get Wii level sales but they will sell to people who want to play videogames, who are numerous.

Wait....The next Zelda isn't coming out on the Wii U anymore?

Isn't that one of the main reasons anyone who likes RPGs got the system in the first place?

wulfy42:
Wait....The next Zelda isn't coming out on the Wii U anymore?

Isn't that one of the main reasons anyone who likes RPGs got the system in the first place?

If they're still sticking to the set gameplan they've had for a while, it's going to be released on both Wii U and the NX.

Kibeth41:
That's what I'm saying. You can't fault a company on your own ignorance.

Yes you can. That's what Marketing Depertments are for. The Wii had the same problem. Most 3rd party games on Nintendo console have a super hard time selling, and the Wii sold like crack.

CNN legit reported that the Wii U was an attachment for the Wii when it was first announced.

Its not the fault of the consumer for not knowing Nintendo's 3rd party library as well as an indie PC title on Steam.

I don't know how you can say that with a straight with Nintendo STILL not telling us what the hell the NX is or how Battleborn gave us a master class in how to mess up marketing.

Game's being great games doesn't seem help them sell on Nintendo consoles like they do on other platforms unless they're 1st party and even then its dodgy.

Nintendo does need to do better when they launch the NX, and they're already kinda behind in that respect. They also need to do better post-launch. Big time.

omega 616:

Kibeth41:

omega 616:

You're totally missing my point! I KNOW there are more than two games but they never advertise the fact!

Yup. This. With the amount of hype we've seen video games get over the last 5 years (and becoming a bigger entertainment market than movies or music) Its rare to hear about Nintendo games that aren't 30+ year old franchises. And a lot of those 30+ year old franchises haven't been treated well in the last 10 years.

AzrealMaximillion:

omega 616:

Kibeth41:

Yup. This. With the amount of hype we've seen video games get over the last 5 years (and becoming a bigger entertainment market than movies or music) Its rare to hear about Nintendo games that aren't 30+ year old franchises. And a lot of those 30+ year old franchises haven't been treated well in the last 10 years.

Thank you.

Honestly, I think nintendo should be the home of the indie game! I think it suits it, since a lot of indie or none AAA games kind of fit in that ecosystem.

Things like grow home/up, flower, journey, abzu, limbo, tear away, hohokum, katamari damacy ... these stylised cartoony games, there are loads of them! Bit trip runner, bastion, counter spy, broken age, don't starve (it's essentially Animal crossing), dragon fin soup, Dust: and elysian tale, entwined, escape plan, fat princess (adventures), flame over, futuridium, furi, nom nom galaxy, pixel junk shooter, pix the cat, road not taken, shutshimi ...

Instead some of the games they have are assassins creed, arkham city and mass effect 3? Leave Sony and Microsoft to handle that shit, the stuff that requires some muscle to run. If Nintendo had just threw money at small indie teams, I think they could have made A LOT of cash back.

(disclaimer, some of the games I listed could very well be on a nintendo console but I have never owned a nintendo console. Had a colour and DS though ... wish I knew where they were)

AzrealMaximillion:

Kibeth41:
That's what I'm saying. You can't fault a company on your own ignorance.

Yes you can. That's what Marketing Depertments are for. The Wii had the same problem. Most 3rd party games on Nintendo console have a super hard time selling, and the Wii sold like crack.

CNN legit reported that the Wii U was an attachment for the Wii when it was first announced.

Its not the fault of the consumer for not knowing Nintendo's 3rd party library as well as an indie PC title on Steam.

I don't know how you can say that with a straight with Nintendo STILL not telling us what the hell the NX is or how Battleborn gave us a master class in how to mess up marketing.

Game's being great games doesn't seem help them sell on Nintendo consoles like they do on other platforms unless they're 1st party and even then its dodgy.

Nintendo does need to do better when they launch the NX, and they're already kinda behind in that respect. They also need to do better post-launch. Big time.

Okay, going to start by indicating that I have literally never, not once, stated that the Wii U itself was well advertised. In fact, I've stated multiple times that it was one of the key issues with the NX.

I remember the Wii U announcement. It was pretty bad. They literally only showed off the controller at first. Probably the most confusing console announcement ever witnessed.

So long as the console isn't branded as a Wii/DS again. I think they'll be okay releasing anything, regardless of what it is.

There were many problems with the Wii U, such as terrible launch lineup, terrible advertising, and weak hardware. But the current game library isn't one.

Next, I stated that he couldn't fault a company on his own ignorance, in the context that he can't fault them on the fact that he didn't know of any other games other than Zelda, Mario and ZombiU. Not to mention, that his statement strongly implied that they were the only good IPs released on the console.

But good, you're taking it out of context.

Quoting the key sentences that illustrate the implications:

omega 616:
Hey, another $300 console to play Mario and zelda on.

The last game I remember being announced for a Nintento console, that wasn't one of them two, was zombieU.

He never stated anything about advertising in this post, or even uses the word 'advertise'. Even in his next comment.

Again. Not a single use of the word advertising. Granted, he mentions not hearing about games in the previous paragraph, but a separate paragraph implies a separate topic.

I also made the point that he's not representative of everyone else, if he doesn't know about any Wii U game aside for a particular 3.

Besides, what if I told you that those non Mario/Zelda Nintendo games WERE well advertised when they were released? Just do a quick google search and you'll see all of the promotions they did for Splatoons. I have no clue why you two are expecting advertisements for games which are 2-3 years old, when that just doesn't happen. Period.

The only exceptions where the games aren't heavily advertised in the west is when they're not really popular with western audiences. E.g. Xenoblade Chronicles X or Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Of course, the demographic who are into those games will EASILY hear about them from the locations they go to, such as Japanese focused websites. But you're not exactly going to see many promotions for them in the west.

Besides, people talk about Wii U games all the time, but it makes perfect sense that one would COMPLETELY IGNORE those topics, threads, articles, etc. If one holds literally 0% interest in anything to do with Nintendo. It even makes sense that your brain wouldn't even retain the fact that you saw these games being mentioned, because it's not information that you consider at all important or relevant. But even then. The playerbase for these games is only going to be as much as the actual console, which undersold. So these games will not see as much mention as games on the PS4/PC.

Omega, you mentioned that you see Xbox One games advertised all of the time, which actually sold less than the Wii U did. But I think we can all make the pretty safe assumption that it's because Xbox One exclusives are pretty scarce, and the vast majority of the titles are shared with the PC and PS4.

So no, Nintendo are not to blame for Omega's ignorance to Nintendo titles. It's entirely understandable why you wouldn't know of many Wii U titles. But as I said before. You are NOT representative of the majority.

Tell ya what, Reggie. You get Ninty to do the following and you'll have my interest again.

1: Have the NX NOT built on antiquated hardware from 2006.
2: Aim for a price point below $300USD.
3: You can have your gimmick-y bullshit, but don't build it into the core of the console.
4: Resurrect the Metroid Prime series with a good new entry.
5: Resurrect the Paper Mario/Mario RPG series with a good new entry.
6: Stop giving the finger to 3rd party devs, LPers, and your fans. i.o.w. Stop being pricks.

Do these and you'll have my consideration on buying an NX. Otherwise? Well...you can fuck right off.

Kibeth41:
snip

All I am getting from you is Nintendo apologist, instead of trying to make nintendo better, you just apologise and make up excuses for them.

Fact is I don't watch adverts nearly at all, tv and such but I still catch gears adverts, uncharted adverts, halo etc what games can I name from E3 Nintendo? Zelda and pokemon ... can't even remember any others.

You also got the wrong end of the stick with seeing xbox games advertised all the time. I watch "gameranx" on youtube, they have videos like up coming stealth games (was their last one) and in the bottom corner they have "out on PC, PS4 and XB1" or whatever the fuck ... almost none of the say wii, wiiu or a nintendo handheld.

All nintendo do is call on Mario and zelda to for consoles and pokemon on handhelds. They're like "HEY! NEW SYSTEM! NEW MARIO! NEW ZELDA! we also have some other games that kind of don't matter" then when the interviewer asks about what he just mumbled he starts with "but you saw that Zelda, right!?".

I could go and look it up but it's up to the company to tell me, I think their marketing is crap. I think they feel, "we are so ingrained in the gaming culture, people will just buy from us, especially if we just keep pumping out mario, pokemon and zelda every so often".

Just an example, type into google "wiiu games" top 10 results, smash bro, splatoon, Mario Kart, Mario maker, Mario 3d world, Pokken, star fox, tokyo mirage session, minecraft and zelda: wind waker ... 11 was bayonetta 2.

So top 10 is 4 mario (I am counting smash bro 'cos that's Mario and Luigi) games, 1 zelda, another blast from the past with star fox, pokken which is just tekken meets pokemon and minecraft, which sells like cookies outside a stoners house. tokyo mirage session is Shin Megami Tensei franchise with characters from Nintendo's Fire Emblem series.

So the only original IP is splatoon ...?

So even if Nintendo does have more than 3 franchises, nobody gives a fuck and just uses it as a Mario machine.

Yopaz:
They then launched the DS, the first console with a touch screen. Did poorly.
Then came the Wii and non-one bought it.
Then came the 3DS, the first console to feature 3D and without glasses. Also a major failure.
So it's clear that all attempts at innovation have failed, while launching comparable hardware has never failed.

What kind of numbers did you read to come to this conclusion? XD Just give this link a look, the DS is the 2nd best selling gaming system in history at 154 million units. The 3DS didn't do as well as the other two, but the Wii and DS are in the top 5 best selling game systems world wide. That was a google search away. Just a tiiiiiiiiiiiny bit of research. We can try to bash Nintendo for being the company that nobody likes these days, but they sold an insane amount of systems and games with their ideas. There's a reason Microsoft and Sony tried to copy Nintendo with the Kinect and PS Move. It's cause Nintendo was fucking them in the ass in sales!

They do have their downs though. Virtual Boy, the first year of the 3DS sales, the Wii U... It happens. It most certainly happens.

Edit: If you mean at launch specifically, then I'd like to see some articles and/or numbers for that too. But the PS3 also had a hard time at launch too, if I recall correctly

When Nintendo dies, gaming dies.

Yeah, gaming might live on in the indie scene, but with Microsoft and Sony running the show, its gonna be nothing but low content, massive amounts of DLC, micro-transactions, buggy games, and grey shooters.

Is Nintendo perfect? Of course not. They are still the only major gaming company whose games are playable when they are released. They are also the only ones who don't cut their games up into millions of little pieces to be sold individually.

When Nintendo dies, I'm going all PC, indies are the only people who can be trusted to make actual games anymore, instead of "platforms" to sell content.

Get used to what happened with Street Fighter 5, that's gonna be the norm.

omega 616:
-snip-

Oh jeez. There is so much wrong in your comment. I usually absolutely despise people who snip apart comments to address points invidually. But I can't resist here.

All I am getting from you is Nintendo apologist, instead of trying to make nintendo better, you just apologise and make up excuses for them.

What's ironic is that in the message you just quoted, I literally made 5 different criticisms of Nintendo. So I've actually been more critical of the company than you. Funny, that.

So even if Nintendo does have more than 3 franchises, nobody gives a fuck and just uses it as a Mario machine.

All nintendo do is call on Mario and zelda to for consoles and pokemon on handhelds. They're like "HEY! NEW SYSTEM! NEW MARIO! NEW ZELDA!

Making really general, blanket statements does not make them true.

Please, provide some kind of evidence to support your claims. I know you have none, so even anecdotal will do. You know, instead of speaking on behalf of 11 million people. It's actually extremely rude and presumptuous.

On a side note: All the Escapistmagazine ever uploads are articles about Gordon Ramsay's garlic breath! It's totally a true statement because I said it.

(I am counting smash bro 'cos that's Mario and Luigi)

Why just Mario and Luigi specifically? Why is this not a Kirby game? Or a Zelda game?

You really have to explain this to me. Because I'm not sure in what universe Smash Bros 4 is a "Mario and Luigi game".

You know what? I'll just correct you. It's a crossover title. Mario and Luigi are just featured in it.

Megaman appears in Marvel Vs Capcom. Doesn't make it a Megaman game.

Least you're staying consistent. Almost all of your arguments are assumptions.
-You assume the only games people play on Wii Us are Mario and Zelda games.
-You assume that your exposure to Nintendo is the same as everyone elses
-You assume that you're a representation of the majority of people.
-You assume that Smash Bros is a Mario/Luigi game because it has the word 'bros' in it.
-You assume that we know you're referring specifically about game advertisements. When you literally didn't use the word in your first comment.
-You assume that I excuse literally every action Nintendo takes. Correction: I just don't bash on companies undeservingly.

So top 10 is 4 mario (I am counting smash bro 'cos that's Mario and Luigi) games, 1 zelda, another blast from the past with star fox, pokken which is just tekken meets pokemon and minecraft, which sells like cookies outside a stoners house. tokyo mirage session is Shin Megami Tensei franchise with characters from Nintendo's Fire Emblem series.

Your initial point was "people only buy Wii Us to play Zelda and Mario.. Or Pokemon on handhelds".

Yet you state: Tokyo Mirage Sessions doesn't count because it has Fire Emblem.
-Apparently Pokken doesn't count, even though it's not Pokemon on a handheld.
-Apparently Starfox doesn't count because you don't want it to.

The top 10 doesn't support your initial argument. Sorry. You're going to try to move the goalposts though.

Even if it did, you're also drawing a false conclusion. You're arguing that a game isn't popular if it isn't in the top 10. It's not "these 10 games are the ONLY popular ones on the console". It's "These 10 games are the MOST popular ones on the console.

Oh, and thanks for confirming my suspicions. That the reason you don't know of Nintendo products is because you don't frequent any source that shares Nintendo relevant information.

Elvis Starburst:

Yopaz:
Then came the 3DS, the first console to feature 3D and without glasses. Also a major failure.
So it's clear that all attempts at innovation have failed, while launching comparable hardware has never failed.

What kind of numbers did you read to come to this conclusion? XD Just give this link a look, the DS is the 2nd best selling gaming system in history at 154 million units. The 3DS didn't do as well as the other two, but the Wii and DS are in the top 5 best selling game systems world wide. That was a google search away. Just a tiiiiiiiiiiiny bit of research. We can try to bash Nintendo for being the company that nobody likes these days, but they sold an insane amount of systems and games with their ideas. There's a reason Microsoft and Sony tried to copy Nintendo with the Kinect and PS Move. It's cause Nintendo was fucking them in the ass in sales!

They do have their downs though. Virtual Boy, the first year of the 3DS sales, the Wii U... It happens. It most certainly happens.

Edit: If you mean at launch specifically, then I'd like to see some articles and/or numbers for that too. But the PS3 also had a hard time at launch too, if I recall correctly

He was being facetious, he was sarcastically pointing out how Nintendo at its most gimmicky was the most successful, ala Wii, DS, 3DS while the GameCube sold like crap.

How come this many people missed the sarcasm? It's not like it isn't blatant.

Cold Shiny:

Looking at how many people actually care about Nintendo consoles compared to other consoles, I would say that you might be wrong.

Gaming seems to be doing just fine without Nintendo around.

MC1980:

It also looked like a purple lunchbox and the 2 biggest showpiece games for it were the Mario game were you clean shit and the cartoony Zelda. In 2001. Need I remind you what was the overwhelmingly popular aesthetic both in hardware and in software at the time? With the early '00s edginess, that was, quite possibly, the worst time in gaming history to release a console like that.

Most kids actually thought the the GC was weaker, because they didn't show it off with "realistic" games and focused mainly on Nintendo properties, that were all colourful and stylised.

Doesn't change facts though. Launched at a lower price point with more power than the PS2, still did terribly. Now you bring up games as important. Well DUH! Of course games are important. To summarize what you said here: Hardware isn't all that matters.

3DS sold like crap on launch. The gimmick itself didn't prove popular at all, unlike the Wii or DS. It wasn't until the first price drop it took off. And it still sold horribly compared to the DS, due in no small part to mobile gaming eating its lunch.

Oh and the more powerful PS Vita did much better, right? It now holds the majority of the handheld market? No?

And even when Nintendo tried to do comparable hardware, they still managed to fuck up in some way or another. The GC had miniDVD's, which meant the storage space was a 1/3 compared to PS2/Xbox. They did this literally right after the N64 had the same exact issue with it's pathetically small cartridges, making that an absolute pain to develop for, while the PS1 used CDs.

You'd have to go back to the SNES to find a comparatively strong Nintendo console that didn't handicap itself in a stupid manner.

The cartridges had one major disadvantage and that was production cost. CDs on the other hand was a terrible medium for something as heavy as games because of the loading times. The Chrono Trigger released on PS1 had longer loading times than the one released on SNES, a much weaker console. Mass production was easier, the games could be cheaper and that was the advantage. Saying that Nintendo crippled themselves when they did in fact have some advantages is an exaggeration at best. It's also cute that you think that the mobile market is overtaking the handheld gaming market. Did you get that one from Sony? Very few mobile games hold a cancle towards anything you find on the two dedicated handheld platforms and none of the phones offer a comfortable grip and controller scheme without getting extra equipment to drag around. Also if what you say is correct: gamers don't like gimmicks.

You also completely missed my point or you intentionally changed the subject in order to be right. Nintendo hasn't been successful with comparabable hardware since the SNES. They have had three successful gimmicks in a row with one flop. They had two consoles with compareable hardware in a row that flopped. I have not once claimed that hardware is irrelevant, I am claiming it takes more than just hardware. I mentioned an example of this, you strengthened my case by explaining why hardware isn't enough.
Edit: After I posted I realized you pointed out the sarcasm in my post, thanks for that. I might disagree with you on things, but at least you're someone I can respectfully disagree with.

Igor-Rowan:
I

Yopaz:

They did that with the GameCube, it was more powerful than the PS2 and launched at a lower price if I remember correctly (I might not it's been a long while) and we all saw how that went. It was a major success and Nintendo was swimming in money from the massive sales.

Yeah, you do not remember that correctly, because as much successful the GameCube had it competed with the PS2, who crushed it and the Xbox like bugs leading Nintendo to see it as a failure, its games did get cult followings, but it was already too late for that.
Then the DS was a failure... WHAT?!
No one bought an Wii, this one I can kind of understand as there were supply shortages in America that were not resolved until 2009, but still, the DS and Wii sold like water.
And the 3DS did initally sell poorly (mainly because of the second analog stick), but the sales did eventually ramp up and crushed the Vita as IGN had brilliantly predicted it would not happen.

Sarcasm dude. I tried to make it obvious. The gameCube was a financial failure. The DS, 3DS and Wii were financial successes. Sarcasm is when you say one thing and mean something else. Do you feel smart for correcting me?

fix-the-spade:
Snip

Congratulations on missing my point, join the proud group. I am saying that there is more to a console than its hardware. Nintendo has been successful when they do their own thing and unsuccessful in competing with the rest. You are of course correct that they need third party support. I didn't mention that because this was a discussion about how Nintendo lost because of bad hardware and a forced gimmick. That is the only point I am trying to make, don't bring up games, I would have too if this wasn't about hardware and gimmicks.

Elvis Starburst:

Yopaz:

You and Igor-Rowan should get together and form the "I don't understand sarcasm club". I am completely aware of that the GameCube with its relatively strong hardware was a disaster. The DS, 3DS and Wii were quite successful. You should take a look at this: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm I guess you also feel smart in correcting me?

Yopaz:

Congratulations on missing my point, join the proud group.

Given that apparently nobody understood your 'point,' perhaps you should spend a little more time communicating and a little less time condescending.

Yopaz:
You and Igor-Rowan should get together and form the "I don't understand sarcasm club". I am completely aware of that the GameCube with its relatively strong hardware was a disaster. The DS, 3DS and Wii were quite successful. You should take a look at this: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm I guess you also feel smart in correcting me?

Hey smartass, let me tell you a little internet secret. Sarcasm is pretty hard to get across on the internet through text. And considering that people are stupid enough to say what you said with a perfectly straight face and believe it, I don't know why you're surprised. Of course, other people might notice it easier than some, me being one of them that didn't notice. Either that's a failing on my part, or as I said... Sarcasm is not super easy to convey. Probably a lot of the latter, considering you wanna act funny that several users didn't see it

MC1980:
He was being facetious, he was sarcastically pointing out how Nintendo at its most gimmicky was the most successful, ala Wii, DS, 3DS while the GameCube sold like crap.

See the above!

fix-the-spade:
Given that apparently nobody understood your 'point,' perhaps you should spend a little more time communicating and a little less time condescending.

No kidding... People say these sorts of things with the firm belief they are correct. It's not hard to fall for such a stance if it's played as a joke

Kibeth41:
snip

Not trying to invalidate anything. Just think you have rose tinted glasses from when Mario/nintendo was something to be excited about, instead of something that indie games can now beat.

I doubt anybody is more critical of Nintendo than me, I think they are living off nostalgia, haven't released a great game since I'd guess Mario 64, can't market to save their fucking lives ... if you can't get the message across that WiiU is a totally different console to Wii, you fucked up.

Firstly the name, Wii to WiiU? Who thought that was a good idea (to be honest, who thought Wii was good?)? Then you didn't push out the message it was a new console, people thinking it was an extension of the Wii. lastly, I saw adverts for xbox, PS4 and Wii but not a single one for WiiU. They can't market at all.

All I am giving is opinions, I am fairly into games and spend a lot of time on this site and youtube gaming channels (such as the know and gameranx) which do gaming news and stuff, so I get info about up coming games and nintendo hardly ever feature in any of them! So If I'm thinking "all nintendo are is the place to play Mario" then you need to work on marketing 'cos if somebody into gaming thinks that, then the very casual player is going to assume that, then think "I can play COD and all these other games on PS4 and Xbox, but all I can really play on Nintendo is mario .. fuck nintendo". That's an assumption but that's what I'd think.

Who are the smash bro's? 'cos I didn't think Kirby and Zelda have the same mother, if they are, I would hate to see their dads!

No, I assume the only games on Nintendo consoles are mario and zelda. I have said about 3 times, that I know there are other games but these two are the only ones Nintendo push. Why am I repeating this bit?

I am assuming that, of course if you're balls deep in Nintendo like you are, then you're going to know more but from somebody who is into gaming but not into Nintendo, they do NOTHING to sell themselves to me.

No, I am talking for me. I don't represent anybody. I am giving MY and only MY opinion of Nintendo.

Well yeah 'cos super Mario bro's was just Mario and Luigi ... are there any other bro's? Seriously asking.

It's not always about advertisements, they can market games at E3 or pump out more games, so that their consoles show up in more youtube videos. Such as gameranx putting WiiU next to PC, PS4 and Xbox in the list of places the game will be available on. More than one way to market.

My point is that's all they push but they have other games that aren't original IP and it's all Nintendo bank on. Producing things people know to milk it into oblivion (I even say it at the start of this post, look "I think they are living off nostalgia"). So they either make a straight game, like another Mario (same game for 30 years, move from the left to the right or in a 3D space doing the same shit) or they now smash two (or more) properties together to make a "new" game. Which is why it makes me laugh when people say COD gets milked.

It does support it but you just don't understand my point, top 10 and 4 feature the same fucker and my argument is Nintendo only ship Mario and Zelda (who features once in the top 10, so half the top 10 is made up of two characters) ... imagine if all 4 uncharted games came out on PS3 with very few other games. WiiU has 99 games in shops in USA, ps3 has 1024. So to scale it, ps3 had like 40 games with Nathan Drake in them, it's an absurd number.

Actually, I just picked top ten 'cos I wasn't going to go through all 99 games, it's just not worth it. I'm pretty sure top 10 by popularity is a good indicator of how popular something is ...

I visit the escapist and all my youtube subscriptions are gaming related, if I am not getting Nintendo news, that's Nintendo's fault 'cos like I've been saying over and over again, they can't market!

omega 616:

Not trying to invalidate anything. Just think you have rose tinted glasses from when Mario/nintendo was something to be excited about, instead of something that indie games can now beat.

I doubt anybody is more critical of Nintendo than me, I think they are living off nostalgia, haven't released a great game since I'd guess Mario 64

Aside from the last paragraph, I stopped reading right about here. Just because, there are so many flaws and holes in your statements that you're doing so much damage to your argument. I'm not sure if it's a language barrier thing or what. But you're really coming across as if you think everyone shares your exact opinion.

First paragraph is INCREDIBLY presumptuous. Flat out. I don't need to say anything more.

Second paragraph is not only presumptuous, but it's also blatantly false. I actually showed you 9 critically acclaimed Wii U games. 6 of which are IPs new to 7th generation of consoles or higher. I'm sure you know how nostalgia works. It's pretty impossible to feel nostalgia for new products.

Besides, I know you don't own a Wii U. And it's a safe bet to say you've never looked at or played any of these games, considering your posts. You literally can't hold an opinion of these games, considering you've never even seen gameplay of them. You're just ASSUMING they're bad. Once again, congratulations on staying consistent.

I visit the escapist and all my youtube subscriptions are gaming related, if I am not getting Nintendo news, that's Nintendo's fault 'cos like I've been saying over and over again, they can't market!

You're currently making a post on a thread of a news article about Nintendo... Kind of hard to say "I'm not getting Nintendo news" here, isn't it?

Oh, and I just thought. If you watch anything to do with any kind of gaming convention (Pax, E3, Gamescom etc). But you're missing anything to do with Nintendo. Then it's because you're intentionally avoiding Nintendo related content.

Which brings me back to my original point!

You can't fault the company on your own personal ignorance!!

bluegate:

Cold Shiny:

Looking at how many people actually care about Nintendo consoles compared to other consoles, I would say that you might be wrong.

Erm... You realize that the 3DS is THE most popular console of this generation, right? And that the Wii U is still outselling the Xbox One (granted, it has a time advantage)

You can't make the statement that "Gaming is fine without Nintendo around", when they're currently around.

The world sure is doing great now that the USA's no longer a country!

Kibeth41:

omega 616:

I doubt anybody is more critical of Nintendo than me, I think they are living off nostalgia, haven't released a great game since I'd guess Mario 64

Aside from the last paragraph, I stopped reading right about here. Just because, there are so many flaws and holes in your statements that you're doing so much damage to your argument. I'm not sure if it's a language barrier thing or what. But you're really coming across as if you think everyone shares your exact opinion.

First paragraph is INCREDIBLY presumptuous. Flat out. I don't need to say anything more.

Second paragraph is not only presumptuous, but it's also blatantly false. I actually showed you 9 critically acclaimed Wii U games. 6 of which are IPs new to 7th generation of consoles or higher. I'm sure you know how nostalgia works. It's pretty impossible to feel nostalgia for new products.

Besides, I know you don't own a Wii U. And it's a safe bet to say you've never looked at or played any of these games, considering your posts. You literally can't hold an opinion of these games, considering you've never even seen gameplay of them. You're just ASSUMING they're bad. Once again, congratulations on staying consistent.

You're currently making a post on a thread of a news article about Nintendo... Kind of hard to say "I'm not getting Nintendo news" here, isn't it?

Oh, and I just thought. If you watch anything to do with any kind of gaming convention (Pax, E3, Gamescom etc). But you're missing anything to do with Nintendo. Then it's because you're intentionally avoiding Nintendo related content.

Which brings me back to my original point!

You can't fault the company on your own personal ignorance!!

No, you're just not getting my point and I have said multiple times, it's my opinions and that I am not speaking for anybody else. Need to go and actually read what I said. Even in the first quote box "I think" it's not a statement of fact, it's an opinion.

Skipping the rest of it 'cos you obviously did, which is why you're missing my point.

Exactly, so I am reading and keeping up with Nintendo news and still think this. Stop being so in love with Nintendo that you can't see their obvious flaws.

Look, here is a guess ... 6 or so years after NX Nintendo will release a new console with an equally stupid name, they will announce it with at least Mario and maybe a Zelda. Mark my words, hope I am wrong but I doubt it.

Kibeth41:

bluegate:

Cold Shiny:

Erm... You realize that the 3DS is THE most popular console of this generation, right? And that the Wii U is still outselling the Xbox One (granted, it has a time advantage)

You can't make the statement that "Gaming is fine without Nintendo around", when they're currently around.

The world sure is doing great now that the USA's no longer a country!

Sorry, when I say console I mean home console, I don't mean home consoles & handhelds, because then we might as well count all iOs and Android devices, because there seems to be a lot of gaming going on there.

Last I checked, the WiiU sits at around 13 million units sold and the Xbox One sits at around 20 million units sold, so even though the WiiU outsells the Xbox One in some monthly charts, it is only playing catch up to the Xbox One's total number, so yeah there's that.

Having stated this, I feel pretty confident that I can make a statement that gaming is doing just fine without Nintendo around, mind you, I am talking about the non-portable gaming industry here.

And as for why I say that they aren't around, this is because they aren't very impactful within the industry lately.

Sony, Microsoft, Ubisoft, EA, Bethesda, Bioware, Square Enix, Capcom and all sorts of developers and publishers that I can't be bothered to name seem to be doing just fine for themselves and the industry.

The statement that gaming were to die if Nintendo dies is more ludicrous than what I said.

omega 616:

No, you're just not getting my point and I have said multiple times, it's my opinions and that I am not speaking for anybody else. Need to go and actually read what I said. Even in the first quote box "I think" it's not a statement of fact, it's an opinion.

I'm not sure if it's a language barrier thing or what, but it's quotes like:

my argument is Nintendo only ship Mario and Zelda

Which aren't opinions. They're statements.

Exactly, so I am reading and keeping up with Nintendo news and still think this. Stop being so in love with Nintendo that you can't see their obvious flaws.

Except, I've pointed out multiple flaws. More than you have, in fact. Yours just isn't one.

If I'm going to bash on a company, then I'm at least going to do it deservingly.

Look, here is a guess ... 6 or so years after NX Nintendo will release a new console with an equally stupid name, they will announce it with at least Mario and maybe a Zelda. Mark my words, hope I am wrong but I doubt it.

Yes, they probably will. Microsoft and Sony are doing the same thing with Scorpio and Neo.

And why would anyone want you to be wrong? Just because YOU immediately hate every game that features Mario or Link does not mean that anyone else shares your opinion. People want the Mario Kart, Mario Party, Legend of Zelda, Mario Bros etc franchises to continue on. In the same way that people like that the Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Battlefield franchises all keep going. They don't need to discontinue the games just because you don't like it.

We all know you're right. There'll likely be Mario/Zelda games on new consoles in the future.. Except, no one's disappointed about that fact. There's literally no loss to having new games added to those IPs. As I've indicated to you multiple times. It doesn't detract from games for other IPs coming out.

Besides, here's food for thought: Miyamoto has before stated that the reason Mario is used in so many game genres is because they'd rather spend 100% of their time working on the game world/mechanics, instead of drawing up new character sheets, designs and characterisations every time they work on a new franchise. This might be a tough idea for you to wrap your head around, but characters don't actually have any impact on Gameplay. We could easily substitute the Mario cast into Starfox and the games would still play exactly the same.

Kibeth41:
snip

ps4/xbox was released 3 years ago, so the scorpio and neo aren't brand spanking new consoles, just polished versions (that I don't give a fuck about).

I said I hope I am wrong, not "why would anyone want you to be wrong?" seriously, you need English comprehension. Not an insult but you keep getting the wrong end of the stick. Another example, I don't hate Mario or Link ... I just think Nintendo need to diversify their games.

I never said they do need to cancel it, I just think there is a thing as over saturating the market with the same game. People enjoy Mario and Cod and whatever else but people wont forget these franchises if they skip one release.

Again, to carry on from what I have just been saying. if out of 10 games 5 are Zelda or Mario, you need to diversify, it's like at the moment they think "we need an RPG!" and a lead designer says "So another zelda then?" or "we need another side scroller" and the same guy says "so another Mario then?" or "we need a kart game" same guy says "so stick Mario in it?" or "we need a sports game" ... "Mario?".

How about making a TPS with, I dunno ... squid people? And 'cos bullets and guns are scary, they use paint 'cos paint balls exist!

So "we at Nintendo are lazy as fuck! So we will just use the same assets again, just retexture to keep up with hardware". Which is what it is, indie studio's can knock out games at the same quality as Mario games these days.... look at "inside" game is fucking gorgeous ... looks better than Mario 'cos of all the lighting and particle effects, Mario is just stylised bright colours. There is something to be said for nice, simple, bright bold colours but in terms of being impressive other games (that aren't even AAA) leave Mario games wanting.

So why even have other characters? They put Mario in just about everything, so save even more time and just get rid of Zelda and Ash/Red and who needs Samus? Focus on gameplay? How hard is it to add a new suits and powers?

I honestly don't hate Nintendo, I just think they could be doing so much better.

omega 616:
I just think Nintendo need to diversify their games.

They are diverse. I've shown you many examples.

I just think there is a thing as over saturating the market with the same game

They're not doing this either. Oversaturating with the same characters? Maybe. But with the same games? Nope.

if out of 10 games 5 are Zelda or Mario

Sample size is too small. Besides, it's 4/10. As I explained before, Smash Bros is not a Mario game. It just features Mario in it.

So "we at Nintendo are lazy as fuck! So we will just use the same assets again, just retexture to keep up with hardware". Which is what it is

I knew you wouldn't be able to wrap your head around the idea..

Games have limited development time, limited manpower, limited budget. Why waste developers, time and money on designing new characters when they could be spent on focusing on world and mechanics?

Laziness implies putting less effort in. That isn't happening. They're redirecting effort to more important areas.

I honestly don't hate Nintendo, I just think they could be doing so much better.

In terms of advertising their consoles? branding and launch titles? Yes, they could. That's kinda what Reggie is saying in the article.

In terms of game library? Nah.

So why even have other characters? They put Mario in just about everything, so save even more time and just get rid of Zelda and Ash/Red and who needs Samus? Focus on gameplay? How hard is it to add a new suits and powers?

Zelda was created as a contrast to Super Mario back in the NES days. Mario was a linear, sidescrolling platformer. Zelda was a top down, non linear adventure game. Both were originally released very close together, so that's why the characters are different. Ash/Red exist because Pokemon isn't developed by Nintendo. Samus exists because Metroid was originally designed as a hybrid between Mario and Zelda's mechanics.

I can explain others to you why other games don't feature Mario as well, if you want. Fire Emblem was developed by Intelligent Systems, Kirby is the brainchild of Masahiro Sakurai and HAL Labs. Earthbound was written by Shigesato Itoi (big Japanese celebrity), the Animal Crossing Villager exists because they wanted you to be the character (instead of playing as Mario). F-Zero was intended to be a fast paced alternative to Mario Kart.

Then there's Splatoons, which was originally going to be a Mario game, but changed to cater to fan demands for new characters. But one of your points has been "No one cares about that, and everyone just uses the Wii U as a Mario machine."

I never said they do need to cancel it

You said you want them to. And worded it as if I'm somehow bothered by the idea of future Mario/Zelda games?

6 or so years after NX Nintendo will release a new console with an equally stupid name, they will announce it with at least Mario and maybe a Zelda. Mark my words, hope I am wrong but I doubt it.

ps4/xbox was released 3 years ago, so the scorpio and neo aren't brand spanking new consoles, just polished versions

Actually, they're hardware upgrades in an attempt to bring the systems in line with PC specs. Technically, the PS4/Xbox One were the same things to the PS3/Xbox 360. The previous gen consoles were too weak that it was becoming a problem with growing technology.

Besides, whether you care about those systems or not is completely irrelevant to the topic.

seriously, you need English comprehension.

Or, you need to work on sentence structure.

E.g. You criticised me on not comprehending that you were referring to advertisements in your initial post.. Despite you not once using the word "advert" at that point.

Besides, one would assume that if you were going to try and convey your own personal opinion. You'd preface it with something along the lines of "In my opinion" or "I think". Instead of just making blunt statements.

That's what has led me to believe there's some kind of language barrier here.

Kibeth41:
snip

You've shown me no examples of diversity, of any kind.

I think they are over saturating both, just how many mario karts, smash and 2D side scrollers does one company need?

It's called Bro's and unless you can tel me another pair of bro's, it's a Mario and luigi game.

Except every other dev house on the planet does these things you list, so yes, it is lazy of Nintendo.

In terms of everything they need to tell people, EXACTLY what they are selling. I've done marketing and courses on how to run a business, they need to do one as well ... you need to tell people what you're selling, why they need it, what benefits it provides etc they don't do any of these.

I don't really care why each one was created, you missed my point again. If reusing assets to save time and focus on more important things, why not just put Mario, with his art style in every game ... saved even more time.

I am bothered by the amount of games these two fuck knuckles are in, this is the point you consistently miss and I am not sure how you keep missing it. I am not bothered by Mario and zelda games coming out, I just want them to do what assassins creed did ... take a year off, develop another franchise or IP! I am not bothered how many COD games come out either, at least 3 different stuios work on them.

But they aren't new consoles, they are 0.5's ... NX is the NEXT Nintendo 'cos WiiU is a bigger flop than a breaching whale!

Do you want to keep talking about the word advertisement? You've brought it up like 4 times now and I've addressed it every time ...

I have said "I think" seriously, press CTRL + F then copy and paste "No, you're just not getting my point and I have said multiple times, it's my opinions and that I am not speaking for anybody else. Need to go and actually read what I said. Even in the first quote box "I think" it's not a statement of fact, it's an opinion." ... so I said that shit before your post and no, I haven't edited. You even have a post where you quote me saying "I think", I can't edit your posts, soooo....

Elvis Starburst:

Yopaz:

Hey smartass, let me tell you a little internet secret. Sarcasm is pretty hard to get across on the internet through text. And considering that people are stupid enough to say what you said with a perfectly straight face and believe it, I don't know why you're surprised. Of course, other people might notice it easier than some, me being one of them that didn't notice. Either that's a failing on my part, or as I said... Sarcasm is not super easy to convey. Probably a lot of the latter, considering you wanna act funny that several users didn't see it

MC1980:

See the above!

You're right, it is harder in written form which is why I made it painstakingly blatant. Also read the context, it might help you. The fact that you didn't get it doesn't mean it's impossible to understand, when a guy I do in fact disagree with and quite honestly I have been overly rude to agrees with me that this is blatant sarcasm then that might be an indication that you might have missed something obvious.

fix-the-spade:

Yopaz:

Congratulations on missing my point, join the proud group.

You do realize that you've grouped yourself with 2 guys who didn't understand blatant sarcasm, right? I called three fairly successful consoles failures and one unsuccessful one a massive success and they jumped in to "correct me". These are the guys you proudly make yourself a part of when you say "no-one understood my point". Also if you look back at the discussion you were butting into, do you see the guy I was discussing with mentioning games? Do you see me mentioning games? If I remember correctly we were discussing hardware, him saying it was important that they focused on hardware rather than gimmicks, me saying gimmicks had proven to be successful. That said, you are of course right that games are always the important selling point of any console. I would have moved on to that eventually, but I was trying to make my point that Nintendo's focus on strong hardware hasn't really given good results. The reason why I didn't go into this in that post is because you should always try to remain on the topic the person you're discussing with is talking about. Going off topic indicates that you have no suited counter arguments.

Yopaz:

You're right, it is harder in written form which is why I made it painstakingly blatant.

When you use sarcasm on the internet, generally you use it with the knowledge that it might not be as coherent as you think.

You can't really fault them on not understanding it...

omega 616:

The etymology of Smash Bros is using Bros in the context that all of the characters are "brothers" under Nintendo. Smash, to clarify it's a fighting game. And "Smash Bros" as a pun of Mario Bros, to signify it as a Nintendo game. It's a crossover title. It isn't even developed by Nintendo.

I explained to you why the characters are all as they are.. Modelling and animating the characters is actually pretty quick. Designing them takes the longest.

And to reiterate: no, it isn't laziness. Laziness implies putting less effort in. That isn't happening. They're redirecting effort to more important areas. Other companies do this as well. That's why we have sequels, franchises and spin-offs.

And yes, I did show you examples of diversity.

-Bayonetta 2 9.1/10
-Xenoblade Chronicles X 8.4/10
-Starfox Zero 6.9/10
-Splatoons 8.1/10
-Yoshi's Wooly World 7.8/10
-Nintendo Land 7.7/10
-Wonderful 101 7.8/10
-Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze 8.3/10
-Tokyo Mirage Sessions 8/10

9 different IPs. They're not exactly released annually, either.

How about you start by telling/showing people what it is? That's your first step to get people interested, find out too late and people may not have saved the money for it or whatever.

Xsjadoblayde:

Large publishers have already been expressing much interest in the NX such as ubisoft, Rockstar(Take two?) and others. One would have to assume they already have access to development kits as is the course for new consoles. There must be something going for it.

Ubisoft and Rockstar was always interested in Nintendo console distribution. these two seem to want to be released EVERYWHERE (rockstar even re-releasing its old games on mobile phones now that they are powerful enough to run them). The thing is we see this every nintendo console launch, and they port a few titles to Wii/WiiU, they get shafted by Nintendo and then just give up. Hopefully thats not whats going to happen now, but i fear it seems to be the usual way things go.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Comparably, Nintendo as a company is doing well. The highest selling game on any onsole has been Nintendo 1P. And not merely by a small margin but a fuck-you sized margin. Which suggests that Nintendo hasn't lost the 'core gamer' nearly as much as people pretend it has. While you can criticise the lack of Nintendo IP ... its utter dominance in terms of handhelds is still going strong, regardless of mobile gaming. Even as there is a saturation in the latter.

Nintendo should totally still try to provide adaptive, innovative means to interact with the player. People can scream 'gimick' if they want, but it's far better than trying to merely copy what the competition has already. If you can improve development kits projects to new developers, they will at least view it as a new way to isolate and make their gamestand out in what is increasingly becoming a saturated marketplace.

Make it affordable, and future proof the NX so that it can make itself cheaper as new trends in hardware availability can be seen as to be on the horizon so that you can maintain price efficiency ... and you can compete on the ideal that you're providing an experience that won't simply be as if a cross-platform release and little else.

Wii Sports were in 2006 and i hardly see it being repeated again. Also if we consider cumulative sales for game, Nintendo is only 3rd place with that, After Tetris and Minecraft. If you want something made this decade however you need to look at 4th place - GTA 5 - a game thats not released on nintendo consoles at all.

Though i suppose the Wii Sports didnt even deserve that, as it only got so many copies "sold" because it was bundled with the console for ages.

The reason they dominate handheld is because they have a monopoly. Vita is absolutely unsupported and Sony seems to have given up on it completely. However if we look at actual handheld competition - mobile games - nintendo is being crushed.

The thing about innovative means to interact is that if you want to do them do something people actually like. Motion controls and Kinect failed not becuase they were called gimmicks, they failed because people didnt want to use them. On the other hand i see VR succeeding despite being equally gimmicky. Innovation for innovations sale is useless. It should be useful to your consumer.

The new hardware trends already hit the deck though. We got a 14/16nm GPU/APU technology and 12nm CPU technology is to become released this year. This is a huge leak from the old 22/20nm tech and i dont see another such leap in at least, say, 3 years. Given that both Sony and MS were forced to make use of this technology leap, theres not much nintendo could even do in terms of futureproofing above their competition. One things certain though, if they are going to use the old 22/20nm tech they are going to bleed money. MS and Sony didnt change to new tech out of goodness of thier hearts. they did because manufacturing lines are being regeared to new tech and producing old tech becomes exorbitantly expensive.

Cold Shiny:

When Nintendo dies, I'm going all PC, indies are the only people who can be trusted to make actual games anymore, instead of "platforms" to sell content.

Nah, nintendo has became irrelevant to gaming long time ago. They are a niche market now.

And welcome to the PC, where actual gaming were going strong since 1985, independent of mercy of big publishers.

I am sad that I just cannot give a damn. No console appeals to me this generation and that is something I find genuinely disheartening. This has to be a real return to form for me to feel the slightest spark of interest but until then it will not be on my mind.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here