Ben Affleck's Solo Batman Movie Has Its Villain

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ben Affleck's Solo Batman Movie Has Its Villain

Deathstroke Batman Villain #1

Batman has his villain for Ben Affleck's solo movie.

Earlier this morning, Ben Affleck tweeted out a short video of the villain Deathstroke. This presumably came from Justice League, which is the DC Comics movie currently filming - which led to speculation that Deathstroke would be a villain in that, or at least be making a cameo appearance.

Well, according to The Wrap, Deathstroke will be the primary villain in Ben Affleck's solo Batman movie. It is unknown at this point if anyone will join Deathstroke in terrorizing Gotham City, or if we'll get another one-on-one fight for The Bat.

Deathstroke first appeared in the comics in 1980 and has seen parallels drawn between him and Batman. He's one of the most popular comic book villains of all time, so this news should be celebrated by fans - a rare win for the DC Extended Universe.

Deathstroke most recently appeared on the television show Arrow and was played by Manu Bennett. Given how the DC movies have recast actors in the past - Flash was played by Grant Gustin in the TV show and Ezra Miller in the movies - it's likely that the role will be recast.

The solo Batman movie doesn't currently have a release date, but best guesses put it as a 2019 release. The next movie in the DC Extended Universe is Wonder Woman, which will release on June 2, 2017.

Source: The Wrap

I thought the Batman film was in 2018?

Anyway on topic, At least the costume is spot on and he actually looks imposing, as aposed to a few characters in Suicide Squad... *Cough* Killer Croc *Cough*

hope we see more of the Joker as well.

Huh. Neat. So I'm guessing Black Mask or Penguin or the Ventriloquist hired him?

Nice spoiler tag and then spoiler in the literal thumbnail for the article. May want to fix that for those really intent on avoiding spoilers. Maybe make it Batfleck or something.

As to the news, glad to hear it. Currently playing Arkham Origins and just fought against Deathstroke for the first time. Pretty exciting news.

CellShaded:
Nice spoiler tag and then spoiler in the literal thumbnail for the article. May want to fix that for those really intent on avoiding spoilers. Maybe make it Batfleck or something.

As to the news, glad to hear it. Currently playing Arkham Origins and just fought against Deathstroke for the first time. Pretty exciting news.

It's your own fault for looking slightly to the left after seeing the spoiler tag ;)

Wasn't David Carridine killed by a "deathstroke"?

Hmm... I'm actually OK with this. At least they are going for someone else than the usual faces. There's a reason why Joker, Catwoman and perhaps Scarecrow are featured so often, but I appreciate we're finally getting a new villain instead.

I'm hoping there's some truth to the rumors of bringing in the Red Hood in the Batfleck movie.
Bold choice; as a merc, I usually don't pin him as just a Batman villain, because he'll fight anybody for the right price. I figure he's hired muscle for whoever could be the Bigger Bad of the movie. But, if any one character is his nemesis, it would be Richard Grayson, whether he was Robin, Nightwing, or Batman.

CellShaded:

Similarly, I'm still playing Arkham Knight and Deathstroke

Another Batman movie?

I know that Ben Affleck's Batman was one of the best things of Batman V. Superman, but come on DC! We have at least 4 Batman Theatrical Films in theaters in a 2 year period (The Aforementioned B v. S, The Killing Joke, The Lego Batman Movie and now this)! If they keep making Batman movies, people are going to stop seeing them sooner or later! They're milking Batman harder then Activision milks Call of Duty.

Mr.Mattress:
Another Batman movie?

I know that Ben Affleck's Batman was one of the best things of Batman V. Superman, but come on DC! We have at least 4 Batman Theatrical Films in theaters in a 2 year period (The Aforementioned B v. S, The Killing Joke, The Lego Batman Movie and now this)! If they keep making Batman movies, people are going to stop seeing them sooner or later! They're milking Batman harder then Activision milks Call of Duty.

Theatrical would be a slight exaggeration. There's been countless animated Batman movies made over the years, unrelated to the proper film releases, and 99% of them are straight to DVD, The Killing Joke was an exception to this and also had a limited theatrical run, it certainly wasn't featured in any cinemas where I live. Same goes for the animated Lego movies, they're mostly straight to DVD.

OT: Hopefully Affleck has the balls to just say stop if WB tries to fuck up the movie. Snyder doesn't seem to care at this point, and just makes whatever movie is required of him, and then "fixes" it with his directors cut. Please, just stop making terrible movies and don't accept shit from the studios.

Only problem I see here is Affleck already seemed too old to play Bats in BvS, and, yeah, they where trying to make him seem older, but still, if the movie comes out in 2019 he's gonna be almost 50....seems a bit old for an action hero, but then again I guess it's almost young compared to STalone/Schwartzeneger etc.

I see Batfleck having personality in the JL teaser.
And now a villain that hasn't been in a movie yet, so there's no hanging comparisons other than the DCU cartoon version, who was solid but not "Victor Freese" quality.

You know what, this may deserve a chance.

NLS:

Mr.Mattress:
Another Batman movie?

Theatrical would be a slight exaggeration. There's been countless animated Batman movies made over the years, unrelated to the proper film releases, and 99% of them are straight to DVD, The Killing Joke was an exception to this and also had a limited theatrical run, it certainly wasn't featured in any cinemas where I live. Same goes for the animated Lego movies, they're mostly straight to DVD.

Considering The Killing Joke still came to Theaters, even if it was limited, I still count it. Also, this Lego Batman Movie is coming to Theaters, since it's a spin-off of The Lego Movie.

My point is they are milking Batman dry, and I know Batman is a popular character, and one of the few Characters DC has any idea how to work with, but sooner or later people will get tired of Batman films. They need to stop making Batman films to allow the hero to properly rest and to allow for the next gen of Directors, Writers and Producers to make awesome Batman films. If they milk Batman so dry that only terrible films come out of him, then it could literally be decades before anyone touches Batman theatrically. You have to be careful with popular and iconic IP's.

MCerberus:
I see Batfleck having personality in the JL teaser.
And now a villain that hasn't been in a movie yet, so there's no hanging comparisons other than the DCU cartoon version, who was solid but not "Victor Freese" quality.

You know what, this may deserve a chance.

Arrow's version was pretty solid as well. Will be a challenge to beat that.

Anyone but the Joker is fine with me.

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!! LOVE DEATHSTOKE!!!

Movie Bane was great and all in terms of hand to hand combat against Batman in the Dark Knight Rises but this I am looking forward too.

Please be good.

Aw. I was kinda hoping they'd do Hush.

Deathstroke's...fine, I guess, considering that he's a ninja named Deathstroke the Terminator. Although people are legitimately going to get him confused with Deadpool. (Slade Wilson v. Wade Wilson, you guys)

Anyway. Chances are he'll be a henchboss for the main villain, like he is in the Arkham games.

Does Batman fight him by driving around in his car while Slade drives a tank and they just shoot at each other? No? You mean Batman is actually going to have to FIGHT one of the strongest mercenaries in hand-to-hand combat? Sounds good to me. (No, Arkham Knight, I still haven't forgiven you)

I am curious as to why it is Deathstroke though. He originally appeared as a Teen Titan's villain. Granted, he has since long branched out for there, but I wouldn't mind him at least mentioning the Titans in this movie.

Hmmm, I wonder what this means for Red Hood (if they are doing Under The Hood that is). Will he be someone that trains Red Hood? Will he be the crime lord's muscle that both Batman and Red Hood have to deal with (along with each other?) Both? Neither? Very curious.

As much as I like Deathstroke, I can't help but associate him with the Titans. Oh well, they can still have Dr. Light if they ever get a full on theatrical film. I can't wait for more info on the upcoming Batman flick!

I look forward to Batman vs Cyrax.

Great the most po-faced, joyless and faux-mature Batman is going to fight the most po-faced, joyless and faux-mature of his villains.

Whoop-de-fucking-do.

bastardofmelbourne:
Aw. I was kinda hoping they'd do Hush.

Deathstroke's...fine, I guess, considering that he's a ninja named Deathstroke the Terminator. Although people are legitimately going to get him confused with Deadpool. (Slade Wilson v. Wade Wilson, you guys)

Anyway. Chances are he'll be a henchboss for the main villain, like he is in the Arkham games.

I'm hoping they have him do more of his own stuff. The only criticism of the Arrow take on the character I can muster is that Slade typically is not one to raise an army, he's more so one to be a lone wolf.

OT: I guess this is good. I'm glad they're going for a new villain, but I wish they'd stop trying to capitalize on the tv shows because it will lead to the inevitable comparison. Given DCU's track record one would think that's something they would like to avoid.

I was hoping for Hush.

Okay, this Batman flicks has potential. With Affleck writing and directing, I think that is a mark in it's favor. Affleck was a pretty damn good Batman in BvS (one of the few things I praise from that film). And Deathstroke could make for an interesting foil. He's one of the few people in the DC Universe that can go toe to toe with Bats in multiple ways.

I'll wait and see. Still have no interest in Justice League or Wonder Woman after BvS (and the trailers haven't changed that), but this might be something worth keeping an eye on.

This is fucking lame. Boring ninja vs non-rogue gallery ninja. This just became a shitty 80's action movie. I've seen Gymkata already. Why not actual supervillains in a superhero movie?

SirSullymore:
Hmmm, I wonder what this means for Red Hood (if they are doing Under The Hood that is)

They use Deathstroke as a Red Hood stand in because execs think young fans won't know who the Red Hood is, or they think the Red Hood story is too fantastical. Wouldn't fit in a more gritty, realistic Batman movie.

You saw it here first!

But actually, a Red Hood movie would be perfect. They set it up and everything with BvS. And they could do fantastical stuff and get away with it, because they introduced space demons, so the pits wouldn't be too far fetched.

They would really have to be incredibly stupid not to do Red Hood, considering that it's a good story and they foreshadowed the fuck out of it in BvS and Suicide Squad.

I was actually thinking - way back when Batman: Hush was first coming out, there were lots of theories bouncing around about who Hush was, and my favourite was that it was Jason Todd. And the writing even played that up, but it ended up being a red herring. In fact, I think the hype about Hush maybe being Jason Todd was one of the major reasons they eventually brought him back.

What'd be fantastic, I think, is if they adapted Hush...but made him Jason Todd, unlike the comics. Sort of a double fake-out. If they did Red Hood straight up, you'd go in going "So this is Jason Todd, yeah?" and if they did Hush, you'd go in thinking "It's going to be that doctor guy, yeah? But if they merged them, it'd still be the Red Hood story but played out in a way the comic book audience doesn't expect.

I think it'd be great. Ben Affleck, I really hope you read internet forums, so you can see my great idea and tell me how great it is.
And then we can go out and get ice-cream together and ride a ferris wheel and you can sign my copy of Chasing Amy and we can be best friends forever.

American Fox:
This is fucking lame. Boring ninja vs non-rogue gallery ninja. This just became a shitty 80's action movie. I've seen Gymkata already. Why not actual supervillains in a superhero movie?

Yeah I'm gonna have to second this. I mean now we just have two batmans fighting each other, whats the fun in that?

give me a proper poison ivy or a good mr freeze movie or something. yall got cgi now for vines and ice shit just do it

no wait

clayface

a villain that can be anyone or anything, cranks batman's paranoia up to 12 driving a wedge between him and the few people he trusts

Strange choice. I was under the impression that Slade Wilson aka Deathstroke was a assassin for hire and not some criminal mastermind.

undeadsuitor:

American Fox:

Yeah I'm gonna have to second this. I mean now we just have two Batmen fighting each other, what's the fun in that?

Give me a proper Poison ivy, or a good Mr Freeze movie, or something. You got CGI now for vines and ice, crap, just do it.

No, wait!

Clayface!

A villain that can be anyone or anything, cranks batman's paranoia up to 12 driving a wedge between him and the few people he trusts

(I fixed some grammar errors you had in there.) I agree, a lot could be done with that, or here's an idea! What about Man-Bat? A werewolf like creature that could kill people, Bats gets blamed, and he could consider if he's the monster as well.

ArcaneGamer:

undeadsuitor:

American Fox:

Yeah I'm gonna have to second this. I mean now we just have two Batmen fighting each other, what's the fun in that?

Give me a proper Poison ivy, or a good Mr Freeze movie, or something. You got CGI now for vines and ice, crap, just do it.

No, wait!

Clayface!

A villain that can be anyone or anything, cranks batman's paranoia up to 12 driving a wedge between him and the few people he trusts

(I fixed some grammar errors you had in there.) I agree, a lot could be done with that, or here's an idea! What about Man-Bat? A werewolf like creature that could kill people, Bats gets blamed, and he could consider if he's the monster as well.

ah shit forgot about Man Bat

yeah that's another neat character that's even more of a literal foil to Batman. Not to mention the Man Bat missions in the Arkham games were some of the best.

so many better choices than another human villain

Oh, shit, I didn't realize deathstroke and Deadshot weren't the same person.

A strange choice for a batman villain, but it's certainly a welcome change from the usual suspects. This could be interesting, I suppose.

I really like Deathstroke... but that costume is shit. It's too bulky and looks entirely made out of plastic. Well, at least they finished his character in Arrow. Otherwise it would be just another bullshit excuse to kill off a character so fans weren't "confused" by them not being the same person.

god, fucking finally they make one without the damn joker
as for the suit itself, I think it looks pretty alright, not really good but still pretty good
this made more sense in my head

teh_Canape:
god, fucking finally they make one without the damn joker

What are you talking about? There are nine Batman movies and Joker is only in three.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here