Report: Red Dead Redemption Remastered Coming to PC, PS4

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Report: Red Dead Redemption Remastered Coming to PC, PS4

red-dead-redemption-320

A Korean website has apparently spilled the beans on a HD remaster of Red Dead Redemption.

Red Dead Redemption is a game that despite achieving quite a bit of critical and commercial success, was never really "milked" the way other successful franchises are. Only the original game and the Undead Nightmare DLC were ever released, and only for the PS3 and Xbox 360. However, a Korean gaming magazine is now reporting that western is next in line for the HD remaster treatment, and may be finally gracing the PC with its presence.

The website mentions that their source confirms a PC and PS4 release, but says that the Xbox One version may be skipping Korean shelves. We don't have any reason to believe that this will be the same for US shelves, however, given the original's success on Xbox 360.

Either way, we will find out for sure on September 7, as the source claims Sony will officially unveil the game during it's PlayStation 4 Neo reveal event.

Source: Game Focus (Korean) via Destructoid

Finally, all those farm animals and possible babies I sacrificed will finally make my ultimate wish come true!

f-ing finally...

Multiplayer better be working on pc

I've been silently looking at this article for 5 minutes. I'm kind of speechless. If this is true then HOLY FUCK! I want it so much I wanna cry.

Allegedly. We'll see. until it's official I'm not getting excited.

Too late. I no longer want it.

Steven Bogos:
The website mentions that their source confirms a PC and PS4 release, but says that the Xbox One version may be skipping Korean shelves. We don't have any reason to believe that this will be the same for US shelves, however, given the original's success on Xbox 360.

It's kind of a dick move to not release it for the Xbox One, but at the same time it would make sense. The recent backwards compatible release runs as great as it could on the X1, with a mostly solid 30fps with V-sync, compared to the 360 and especially the worse PS3 version. Sure, a bump from 720p30 to 1080p60 would be nice, but would it be worth the full retail price?

NLS:

Steven Bogos:

It's kind of a dick move to not release it for the Xbox One, but at the same time it would make sense. The recent backwards compatible release runs as great as it could on the X1, with a mostly solid 30fps with V-sync, compared to the 360 and especially the worse PS3 version. Sure, a bump from 720p30 to 1080p60 would be nice, but would it be worth the full retail price?

Asia doesnt care for the Xbox, so maybe it just will be a western exclusive.

It will probably be released for the Xbox One as well if this rumor is true. It doesn't make sense for Sony to pay for exclusive/half-exclusive/timed exclusive deal for a remaster of a 2010 game. And it doesn't make sense for Rockstar not to release it on one of the big three systems.

if its stated officially and if the price is right, i certainly would give it a try. it sure was a title i wanted to try out but sorry, pc gamer only. the port better be good.

Game was in HD already, you dummies who name things like this.

Screenshots or it didn't happen. There have been dozens of "reports" of a remaster for this game, all unsubstantiated.

That'd be nice, I was disappointed this never got a PC port. Never got around to playing it. Let's hope this news bit comes true!

"HD Remaster" of a game that was already in HD just means a resolution bump. Not worth it for consoles, though it is nice to see it finally on PC.

Xbox One has the full game on backwards comparability and it works great. The way it should be done.

Rommel102:
"HD Remaster" of a game that was already in HD just means a resolution bump. Not worth it for consoles, though it is nice to see it finally on PC.

Xbox One has the full game on backwards comparability and it works great. The way it should be done.

It was 720p back in 2010 when even 1080p on the PC was staring to get old. And we don't really know what the extent of the remaster is. Or if it's even real. It's only a rumor for now.

This is one game I'd like to see a remaster of, if only so that I can play it on my current console. In my opinion, this was one of the best games ever made, much less the best game on the PS3, and if any game deserves a remaster to current gen consoles, this is the one.

*excited yelling noises*

Finally. This was one of the few games I never got around to playing on my old ps3. Glad to see it's coming to PC (if this is true).

Took them fucking long enough if you ask me, I will NEVER understand the logic of deliberately limiting your potential customer base just for the sake of cuddling up to some big corporation that will throw you under the bus the instant its convenient for them (Xbox One Kinect anyone?)

PC community just exploded with joy!

This will likely be the title that convinces Rockstar to always do a PC port if GTAV sales didn't already.

Yup. Happy, but still pissed. Having Halo 2 deja vu.

thewatergamer:
Took them fucking long enough if you ask me, I will NEVER understand the logic of deliberately limiting your potential customer base just for the sake of cuddling up to some big corporation that will throw you under the bus the instant its convenient for them (Xbox One Kinect anyone?)

It likely had more to do with the version of the Rage engine the game used. As I'm sure we all remember, GTA IV already had significant problems with the PC port and RDR was using the exact same version of the engine (with improvements). Max Payne 3 required an almost complete rebuild of the engine to get rid of the problems and update it in preparation for the new generation of consoles.

I think we should all be asking the question on our minds, assuming this is true; is it going to be on Steam or Windows Store?

If it's true, and it has functional multiplayer and comes with all the DLC (was there even more than Undead Nightmare?) at launch then I'll totally pick this up again. And I say this as someone who still has the Xbox 360 copy kicking around.

DarklordKyo:
I think we should all be asking the question on our minds, assuming this is true; is it going to be on Steam or Windows Store?

If you ask me, who cares. Valve is pretty much as far from saintly as Microsoft and the Win10 Store has been fast improving from it's initially awful state. Though not upgrading to Windows 10 is a valid excuse still, at least for the next 2 and a half years until official support drops.
In any case, hope this is true. Knowing Rockstar and 2k, though, this is practically guaranteed to be a $60 price tag on PC even with how old it is. Eh, price'll drop eventually, I'm sure. Would be nice to know it's there, at least.

Lillowh:

If you ask me, who cares. Valve is pretty much as far from saintly as Microsoft and the Win10 Store has been fast improving from it's initially awful state. Though not upgrading to Windows 10 is a valid excuse still, at least for the next 2 and a half years until official support drops.
In any case, hope this is true. Knowing Rockstar and 2k, though, this is practically guaranteed to be a $60 price tag on PC even with how old it is. Eh, price'll drop eventually, I'm sure. Would be nice to know it's there, at least.

Doesn't the Windows Store disallow modding?, that's why I'm hoping it's a Steam release.

DarklordKyo:

Considering the ridiculous amount of copies that GTA V sold on Steam, why would Rockstar risk releasing it on Windows Store?

Oh, now this is a game I'm looking forward to.

God, I hope it's not saddled with windows10.
hah!
Saddled!

because, uh, cowboys and...
stuff.

nevermind.

Adam Jensen:

Considering the ridiculous amount of copies that GTA V sold on Steam, why would Rockstar risk releasing it on Windows Store?

A massive sum of money from Microsoft for PC client exclusivity (if only temporarily).

Nothing from the actual event. Doesn't completely discount the rumor but I'm still skeptical. I mean, this is all based on some shady article from a Korean magazine.

TheMigrantSoldier:
Nothing from the actual event. Doesn't completely discount the rumor but I'm still skeptical. I mean, this is all based on some shady article from a Korean magazine.

Well, Rockstar didn't deny the rumor either. Which is usually what happens. There's still hope. At least until the end of this week.

I suspected this was coming, which is why I held off buying it for last gen at its overpriced cost.

Knowing they will over price this as well it would be nice if they threw Revolution in with it to justify its costs.

I doubt this rumor given that rockstar has already confimed years ago that they lost the original source code and would have to rebuild entire game from scratch therefore they are not going to release it to other platforms. So unless they found the code in some archive they missed before, i would not expect it to come.

NLS:

Steven Bogos:

Not it doesnt. the games bugs are already making it famous as the most buggy Xbox 360 emulator (because thats what it is, its emulating Xbox 360 on Xbox One, its not actual backwards compatibility) game out there. To the point where some people find it literally unplayable due to bugs constantly killing your horse, etc.

MC1980:

No it was not. The game rendered in 1152x640 on PS3 and in 1280x720 on Xbox 360, neither of which are HD which is 1920x1080.

DarklordKyo:

You mean Steam or inaccessible? because Windows store games may as well not exist as far as im concerned. I think the most likely guess would be Rockstar Social Club instead. Whitch is OK when it actually works (accounts get randomly locked out and you have to contact support to reset them, fun times)

I think I will derail the hype train right here and now. Not only because Hype Trains are bad for gaming, but because this is a very real possibility.

Had to be done.

Strazdas:

MC1980:

No it was not. The game rendered in 1152x640 on PS3 and in 1280x720 on Xbox 360, neither of which are HD which is 1920x1080.

Nope. 720p is high-definition. By loose definition (heyoo!), a lot of lower resolutions are too, but let's not get into that. Do yourself a favour and look it up. Preferably before you try to correct someone again with misinformation.

Maybe you confused HD with Full HD? That's about the only thing I can think of.

Strazdas:

NLS:

Not it doesnt. the games bugs are already making it famous as the most buggy Xbox 360 emulator (because thats what it is, its emulating Xbox 360 on Xbox One, its not actual backwards compatibility) game out there. To the point where some people find it literally unplayable due to bugs constantly killing your horse, etc.

It's still running as great as it can without Rockstar actually fixing the game from scratch. The emulation is not at fault for Rockstar's original bugs and glitches, as all it does is run the game exactly the way it is programmed with all features and bugs included. I just played through RDR, and all the (many) bugs I encountered were original bugs from the 360 version. HOWEVER, the framerate manages to stay at a mostly consistent 30fps, something the original targeted but failed to meet in many situations.
So yes, the X1 runs the game as best as it can given the current constraints.
PS3: 20-25FPS sub720p --> 360: 25-30FPS 720p --> X1: 29-30FPS 720p +vsync)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOq25Zo8pes

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or