Mass Effect - Andromeda's Main Characters Are Brother And Sister

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Mass Effect - Andromeda's Main Characters Are Brother And Sister

The male and female player characters for Mass Effect will be brother and sister, rather than a gender-swapped version of the same character.

In the original Mass Effect trilogy, players assumed the role of Commander Shepard, who could be played as either a man or a woman. Mass Effect - Andromeda will still allow players to choose their gender, but rather than simply being a gender-swapped version of the same character, the male and female PCs will be brother and sister.

The revelation came during Sony's Andromeda showcase the other night. "We're seeing our male character, at E3 we got to see our female character. A little surprise here: These two are actually brother and sister," explained BioWare creative director Mac Walters. "They both exist in the game world at the same time. If you're playing as the female Ryder, your brother is out there somewhere in the universe."

Additionally, the father of the Ryder siblings is someone we have already seen. "The character we saw two E3s ago, the N7, is actually your father. So we have got the full Ryder family revealed. We'll do names and things in the future."

It's an interesting way to handle having a multi-gendered main character. It means that no matter what gender you choose to play, you're still "canon".

Source: IGN

So...what's the Andromeda Galaxy's take on incest? ;p

Snark aside, I think this is a nice choice. At the least, it's a very different dynamic from Commander Shepard.

So we have Dragon Age 2 all over again, where Bioware will use the other sibling as a cheap plot device?

Color me unimpressed.

(The video is nice though)

Jumping? In Mass Effect?

WHAT WITCHCRAFT IS THIS!?!

Video looks nice. Looks like we have a ways off before we get this...

So it's kinda like FemHawke and BlokeHawke, just, y'know, in the same universe? Sorta? No? Moving on, then...

I don't mind one player character, or siblings. Dragon Age II dealt with sibling and family relationships quite well, so more of that wouldn't go amiss. Having connections to other principle characters is generally a good thing, and it's harder to get much more connected than family.

Oh hey, that's kinda neat.

So will you be able to customise them both like the husband and wife in Fallout 4? Or does it generate the other sibling's appearance based on yours?

I actually really like the idea of a brother and sister team. It's too bad the game designer is such a raging racist that I can't bring myself to buy or support the game.

Not sure about the father being in game, how does will work with the race and appearance of your character being mutable? In fact, will your siblings appearance change to match yours?

I watched this video, and the first thought that jumped into my head once the family was laid out was, "Please don't be like the family in Ghosts." We have a father figure who is a bad ass, and two siblings who are no doubt dreaming of following in his footsteps and earning their own N7 ranks. This type of family story set up can get boring real quick. Here's hoping that BioWare can avoid this pitfall.

That being said, the game sure looks pretty. Would have liked to see some combat, but whatever. Still keeping my eye on it, but Mass Effect 3's ending is still burning in the back of my mind, so the excitement is not there.

Ukomba:
I actually really like the idea of a brother and sister team. It's too bad the game designer is such a raging racist that I can't bring myself to buy or support the game.

I must have missed something...what are you referring to?

OT: Neat. Dragon Age II did sibling dynamics rather well, though I'm hoping it doesn't end quite as tragically as it did in DA II. I'm curious to see how it is handled, and if you get to fight alongside your sibling and Daddy-O.

I mean, I seem to be the only person here who was merely disappointed with ME3's ending and not still angry over it.

SlumlordThanatos:

Ukomba:

OT: Neat. Dragon Age II did sibling dynamics rather well, though I'm hoping it doesn't end quite as tragically as it did in DA II. I'm curious to see how it is handled, and if you get to fight alongside your sibling and Daddy-O.

I mean, I seem to be the only person here who was merely disappointed with ME3's ending and not still angry over it.

Twitter nonsense. If I were you I'd just ignore it, but I think we had a thread on it not too long ago.

OT: I actually like the concept. Still not sure if I want anything to DO with the game, but hey. It's not like I WANT it to be bad.

SlumlordThanatos:

Ukomba:

I think he is referring to this: http://heatst.com/culture-wars/mass-effect-designer-manveer-heir-hates-white-people-and-wants-the-world-to-know/

Take it as you will.

Oh god. The Rule34! THE RULE34!!

unless the game goes back to its roots as an rpg and somehow makes me orgasm out of every orifice, they won't be getting my money after me3 happened.

I wasn't aware of the manveer heir thing, he seems like an extremely stuck up douche who is full of himself judging by those racist tweets and the tweets about the new deus ex, but I'm sure those are dime a dozen in the industry so I'm not gonna hold that against the game.

Steven Bogos:

SlumlordThanatos:

Ukomba:

I think he is referring to this: http://heatst.com/culture-wars/mass-effect-designer-manveer-heir-hates-white-people-and-wants-the-world-to-know/

Take it as you will.

Wow, what a piece of shit human being.

I'm white and I don't find racism against people that big of a deal, but some his comments are pretty bad. Surprised EA has let him get away with that, his ethnic background be damned.

My thing is that I've always been wired to judge the art not the artist, so if this gutter scum wants to be a racist asshole, well jokes on him because the game he's working on stars two white people,

Steven Bogos:

SlumlordThanatos:

Ukomba:

Take it as you will.

Oh well then. I know what game i wont be buying now.

Bro/Sis dynamic again? Taking bets folks! Who bets that the sibling you don't play as dies during the game? I bet the sibling dies roughly 1/4th of the way through the story!

I find the family dynamic as a game mechanic to be interesting.

Geez dad! I'll bring the New Normandy back with a full tank!

They're not gonna force you to try and care about this guy/gal if you're one or the other, right? Because that worked out so well in Fallout 4.

Don't make the plot be 'I have to find my bother/sister', please.

Congratulations Bioware. You did something that I can't criticize. It's a fun little idea. I'm still never going to buy another EA game for more than $10. If I decide that it's worth playing at all. Considering how much I hate the idea of a new galaxy I'd say there's 99% chance I'll never play the damn game.

Does this mean they will each be written with a distinct personality of their own, creating different dynamics depending on which you play, or will they mostly interact 1:1?

LITERALLY had to abandon galaxy because of how bad Mass Effect 3 fucked the story. No thanks.

Judging from the reaction I saw to Fallout 4's announcement that your character would actually have some elements of being a character, rather than a blank cipher to imprint yourself upon, I don't think this will end well. But maybe people will be more accepting of that sort of thing in a Mass Effect game than a Fallout one. It certainly gives a bit of potential for background and plot hooks; not that EA's ever been great with those. Unfortunately, that's not the only problem here...

Ukomba:

Because anyone who voices an unpopular opinion taints everything they touch with it, right? The world will only be acceptable when we all march in ideological lockstep! The guy said some words. Stupid words, expressing idiotic ideas, yes, and quite a few of said words. But words are just words. They may hurt feelings, but they don't hurt people. The guy may be an asshole, but, as with everyone else, it's his actions that matter, not his words. Racism is a belief. Judaism is a belief. If it's wrong to punish one, it's wrong to punish the other.

Come on, people. The world we build is the world we're going to have to live in. Is this really the way you want it? A world where expressing an unpopular opinion means no one is willing to buy the product you're associated with? A world where speaking out against the dominant thoughtline can cost you your job?

I think relevant news would be that the guy with the N7 armor in the early trailers is supposedly their father.

EDIT: Oops, it was right there in the bottom.

Casual Shinji:
They're not gonna force you to try and care about this guy/gal if you're one or the other, right? Because that worked out so well in Fallout 4.

Speaking of Fallout 4, do you remember Bioware saying (some time ago) that Andromeda will have you setting up bases in various solar systems? I wonder if the guy who says a planet's in trouble in Andromeda, will also be named Preston?

Casual Shinji:

On a similar note, don't make the plot be "I have to find daddy" either.

And don't make daddy or the sibling turn out to be the villain either.

Just have them be a brother and sister. Maybe throw in some friendly sibling rivalry on whichever sibling can out-badass the other if they really want to make us care about the other sibling in a way that isn't "Tragedy has befallen your sibling. Care, dammit!". Oh, but don't have the rivalry be over daddy's approval.

Ukomba:

Not sure about the father being in game, how does will work with the race and appearance of your character being mutable? In fact, will your siblings appearance change to match yours?

Go here.

Beautiful, aren't they?

It's tricky and up to you, but sometimes, you have to realize that artists, like other people, are imperfect, or very imperfect,

I bet whichever one the player doesn't pick will either die in the first ten minutes or turn evil and fight the player at some point for some contrived reason.

Bioware is getting so damn predictable...

008Zulu:

Casual Shinji:

Speaking of Fallout 4, do you remember Bioware saying (some time ago) that Andromeda will have you setting up bases in various solar systems? I wonder if the guy who says a planet's in trouble in Andromeda, will also be named Preston?

Chimpzy:

Just have them be a brother and sister. Maybe throw in some friendly sibling rivalry on whichever sibling can out-badass the other if they really want to make us care about the other sibling in a way that isn't "Tragedy has befallen your sibling. Care, dammit!". Oh, but don't have the rivalry be over daddy's approval.

Maybe if they wrote it as such that you get seperated from eachother and each have to handle things on your own end. You'll be in contact with one another at certain points in the story, and eventually meet up to see how each of you handled your responsibilities. Maybe even give you the oppertunity to advise your bother/sister either positively or negatively and take or ignore advice from them in return, which then could have ramifications toward the end.

They could create a fun sibling dynamic, as long as they don't force a bond for the sake of plot.

Now the fans can all flock the Bioware Forums once again and make mad speculations about the game!

Oh wait...

MHR:
LITERALLY had to abandon galaxy because of how bad Mass Effect 3 fucked the story. No thanks.

Not to mention the BioWare Edmonton studio had to wash their hands of the franchise and pass on to their support studio.

JohnZ117:

Ukomba:

Go here.

Beautiful, aren't they?

It's tricky and up to you, but sometimes, you have to realize that artists, like other people, are imperfect, or very imperfect,

I'm not too sure what your point is?

The game is coming from a publisher who's past corporate practices are despicable.
The developer has, in my opinion at least, long since run out of steam creatively.
The creator has demonstrated himself to hold openly bigoted, racist opinions.
The previous entry in the series was a mess of broken promises, poorly implemented gameplay and missed opportunities which finished on a note that left such a sour taste in peoples' mouths that the entire ending was changed in a patch as a result of the outcry, upgrading it from openly insulting to merely bad.

Are you saying people should ignore the past in making a judgement about the likely quality, direction, themes etc. of an upcoming piece of work? Or are you indicating that it's impossible to do so, like Bob says in the video you linked, and people shouldn't try and view it in vacuum?

Please clarify.

Looks kinda neat. Am loving the visual style and metroid prime-like scanning. Recently attempted Star Trek Online and realised how dire the space exploration genre is currently for present consoles. Gimme scientific space adventures! Throw in a black hole scene somewhere too, add to the immense power that occurs within the wonders of the cosmos.

Steven Bogos:

Take it as you will.

Whelp, looks like my Ryder will always be a white male.

Casual Shinji:

008Zulu:

Casual Shinji:

Chimpzy:

Maybe if they wrote it as such that you get seperated from eachother and each have to handle things on your own end. You'll be in contact with one another at certain points in the story, and eventually meet up to see how each of you handled your responsibilities. Maybe even give you the oppertunity to advise your bother/sister either positively or negatively and take or ignore advice from them in return, which then could have ramifications toward the end.

They could create a fun sibling dynamic, as long as they don't force a bond for the sake of plot.

I would also be interested if playing the Brother or Sister opened/closed various plot threads/quests, perhaps to the point a large part of the game was different depending on this.

Sorry, I just came off Witcher 2 a few weeks back and the whole branched plot that game was quite interesting.

Casual Shinji:

Thing is it COULD have worked, if it wasn't the friggin fugly baby you had to care about.

I spent hours (metaphorically speaking) designing my ideal waifu, it was genuinely a darth vader nooooooooooooo moment for me when waifu gets killed 5 minutes later, all my hardwork vanishes in smoke and i have to care about the ugly baby i'm pretty sure wasn't even mine to begin with.

Anyways as a single child who always wanted a bro/sister but the one i got died a few days after being born, this opens up some wounds for me. #triggered
In dragon age 2 one of the few things i liked about it though was the sibling relationship, actually gave me some clear motivations in game.

But yeh having even part of the plot revolve around finding your sibling would be lame, have them be a support character and maybe add some personal motivation to some bits of the plot, don't have them be a princess you gotta rescue.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here