Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Release Pushed to 2018

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Release Pushed to 2018

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, spiritual successor to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night from Koji "IGA" Igarashi, will now be released in the first half of 2018.

Creator Koji "IGA" Igarashi has announced that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night spiritual successor Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night will now be released in the first half of 2018. The game had one of the most successful video game Kickstarter campaigns of all time, raising over $5.5 million from more than 64,000 backers, and was originally slated for release in 2017.

In a video posted in the Kickstarter page's updates, Igarashi explains that the release window is being pushed back due to the decision to add a new development team, which he says he is currently "in the process of securing."

"I apologize for the wait," Igarashi said. "However, I'd like to emphasize that I made this decision to absolutely guarantee the game is done right the first time."

"The last thing I want to do is keep our backers waiting, but after receiving such incredible support, I feel responsible for delivering the best product I possibly can. Again, I offer my sincerest apologies."

Well, it's better than nothing, ain't it?

RealRT:

The sounds surprisingly familiar. Like another kickstarter game dev project created by a famous japanese developer affiliated with a successful and well loved franchise. Serious. The red flag is 'New Development tEam' at this stage adding a new team is never a good sign.

oh shit. It's getting Mighty Number 9'd.

I'm kidding, of course.

So long as they avoid the same mistakes as Mighty Number 9... Trying to port it to about 11 different systems, overzealous stretch goals, an animated series, etc.

Delays are expected. They're not promising a mountain, anyway. Which has generally been the problem with recent notorious indie failures.

MonsterCrit:

RealRT:

The sounds surprisingly familiar. Like another kickstarter game dev project created by a famous japanese developer affiliated with a successful and well loved franchise. Serious. The red flag is 'New Development tEam' at this stage adding a new team is never a good sign.

Big difference I'd say is that Bloodstained has had a playable demo/alpha for a while(for higher tier backers) that looks really good. Not just trailers or pictures.

Also you just can't hate on a guy who presents like Iga does :P

I think this is a good thing. The playable demo was very good (unlike MM9) and if they need more time to maintain that quality I think that's a positive.

I'm not really surprised, this was originally a smaller project until the funding came rolling in. Great games aren't made overnight and Bloodstained is set to be the largest 2D Castlevaina ever. Having played the alpha demo that played exactly like SoTN I'm nowhere near ready to start shrieking "ERR MAH GERD GAME IS DOOOOOOMED REFUND NAO".

MonsterCrit:

RealRT:

That's the joke.

Can't wait for those people to show up. Y'know, the ones who will go "hurr durr it's like mihgty no 9, this exactly like that", noticing only the most superficial similarities without having a single clue about anything really. While actually being ignorant about every facet of the thing they wish to share their vacuous mind about.

Here's a hint: Every Kickstarter game gets delayed. Every. One.

That's not even getting into why people were mad at Mighty No.9 before it even came out. It looked like shit, visually, and nothing like the concept art and their communication was the worst. Poor updates, none for several months at a time too, extra kickstarter for useless shit, delays after delays that weren't or were really badly explained. For the last several month delay their excuse was that they needed to fix some stuff for their online leaderboard thing. Y'know, the thing people really cared about in their singleplayer game. And then they had another kickstarter for another game, before MN9 came out. It was a mess. And the end result was an ugly game that was mediocre, due in no small part to them having to jugle 9 SKU's.

Bloodstained? Visually, it looks fine. They have monthly updates and videos about their progress. They released an early (pre-)alpha demo that proved that, while the game is nowhere near completion and what is made still needs polish/elements of it are clearly placeholder, that they are nailing down all the gameplay and design elements people are expecting from them.

Literally the only people who think these are the same are the ones who haven't an actual idea what they are talking about.

MonsterCrit:

RealRT:

This may be why he did it. There must be an incredible amount of pressure on him to deliver not just a good game, but a great one. After some of the recent kickstarter failures, he probably knows a lot of people are going to be extra critical of his game when it's released. I don't blame him for pushing it back to make sure it's ready. Hopefully it's an Undertale, and not a Mighty Number 9.

If i was a game developer and i had the choice between delaying and making a game that would have to be retroactively fixed then i would delay. you don't get a second chance at a first impression, and even as some of the more disasterous launches of the past years have gradually become more tolerable a few months after launch they will always be remembered for that fuck-up at launch. This is now synonimous with Assassins Creed Unity: http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/qa1y6zvrsxs3veen1hku.jpg

Adding a new development team huh? Yeah, ok. I'm glad I don't back things on Kickstarter.

Maybe it's time to crack open the old adage of,
"A rushed game is forever bad, a delayed game is eventually good."

I have faith - especially with how good the demos have been, and if a delayed game is a red flag for you, you must be pretty new to the video games industry.

Fine by me (and this is coming from a backer of the project). Iga has never let me down when it comes to Metroidvania. He not only made the masterpiece known as SOTN, but managed to bang out SIX portable titles that were at worst good and at best phenomenal on a yearly basis. The only stumbles were really the 3D titles Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness and even then those weren't bad. If anything, the fact that he's always been forced to work on a shoestring with time limitations makes me wonder what he can do when given proper time. I played the E3 demo and was pleased with what I saw. I can only imagine what the full game will be like.

Chaosian:
Maybe it's time to crack open the old adage of,
"A rushed game is forever bad, a delayed game is eventually good."

A rushed game is inevitably bad, a delayed game will probably still be bad, but at least it has a chance.

The hiring of a 'new dev team' doesn't sound great, but hopefully that's just bad translation for extra devs or a localisation team(s).

Fox12:

MonsterCrit:

RealRT:

This may be why he did it. There must be an incredible amount of pressure on him to deliver not just a good game, but a great one. After some of the recent kickstarter failures, he probably knows a lot of people are going to be extra critical of his game when it's released. I don't blame him for pushing it back to make sure it's ready. Hopefully it's an Undertale, and not a Mighty Number 9.

Well let's just hope he doesn't miss the boat. Be fair. The metroid vania thing has kinda been around on PC for a while now and done in rather interesting ways. YOu know kinda like how M#9 got upstaged by not only Capcom's Megaman Classics collection but also games like Shovel Knight which took the same formula and upgraded it.

I suppose the test is this. If this guy was just a no name indie dev. Would anyone be paying attention to bloodstained?

I know one of you might be thinking. But he was like the guy behimnd the good castlevania games. Fair enough, but he was also one guy on a team. Just like Kenji inafune was just one guy on a team when he did those amazing megaman games., just like Pet Moplyneux was just one guy on a team when he did that amazing work for Bullfrog. See where I'm going with this?

An important thing to remember is that the work these people are famous for was accomplished as part of a team , a team which had someone else holding the reins of control and has been proven repeatedly by these superstar types, when they bank on their names. they get sloppy. John Romero's lovely Daikatana ring a bell, Ultima 9. I would actually have fewer doubts if this thing wasn't banking on the fact that we know who this guy is.

As for the demos. Look, it's rather easy to put out a thirty minute demo. Popping bubble wrap is fun for thirty minutes. but not so much after 5 hours. Just saying. People, Check Your Hype (CYH). I want this to be a great game as much as the next guy but know then signs when you see them. Do not let the hype blind you to the red flags.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here