South Park: The Fractured But Whole Delayed to Next Year

South Park: The Fractured But Whole Delayed to Next Year

south-park-fractured-320

South Park: The Fractured But Whole has been pushed back into 2017.

In a blog post today, Ubisoft announced it has delayed South Park: The Fractured But Whole into early 2017. The sequel to 2014's South Park: The Stick of Truth was originally slated to release on December 6, and was widely considered one of the most anticipated games of this holiday season.

Ubisoft says that the delay will help make sure that that anticipation doesn't give way to disappointment. "South Park: The Fractured But Whole has received an incredible response from fans around the world over the past months and the development team wants to make sure the game experience meets their high expectations. The additional time will help them achieve this goal."

The new Q1 2017 release date means that we could see South Park: The Fractured But Whole as early as January 1, or as late as March 31. Around here, we're hoping that Ubi has decided to use this extra time to pack in the Nosulus Rift so you can enjoy the smell of your own farts in-game.

As long as it's quality stuff... *holds back tear* ... Alright.

What else is new? It'll be a shock when a game announces a release date, and KEEPS it.

Damned Ubisoft! I guess the only consolation is that South Park graphics are so cheap and easy that inside out faces might actually make them look better.

Eh...It was going to be out after black-friday sales anyway but at least now we (probably) have something to look forward to during the drought months.

I ok with this since I am most likely be playing Pokemon Moon on that date anyway.

Why do games give dates these days? They never stick to them and it just upsets fans when they get pushed back.

Bobular:
Why do games give dates these days? They never stick to them and it just upsets fans when they get pushed back.

I usually don't care about delays, but if a game has been delayed AND it needs a day one patch is really testing the audience's goodwill.

Making room for The Last Guardian at least. They must really need the extra time if they're willing to forgo the Christmas market, since when does anything but shovelware get released Q1?

Maybe I'm just salty, but when I see x-game has been delayed, I think "why did they announce a release date in the first place? Everyone is breaking their release date plans anyway.

Adam Locking:
They must really need the extra time if they're willing to forgo the Christmas market, since when does anything but shovelware get released Q1?

Well, the NX is currently slated for a Q1 release. March is in the tail end of it. Same for Zelda: Breath of the Wild, assuming it's actually gonna be a launch title.

Atratzu:
Maybe I'm just salty, but when I see x-game has been delayed, I think "why did they announce a release date in the first place? Everyone is breaking their release date plans anyway.

I guess to generate initial hype when there's a build that's good enough to do so.

Here's the official apology from Ubisoft:

I... did not realize, until right now, that the title of the game is a crude pun.

I'm an idiot.

I'm sad but it's probably for the best.

MrCalavera:
Here's the official apology from Ubisoft:

autoplay=1, I will have to remember that once for some good gags I have up my sleeve.

Anyhoo, nothing new to see here. While I enjoy games being released in a playable state I am getting frustrated with the never-ending parade of false release dates. I call bullshit on each and every last one as of late. Having passed Dishonored and working my way through the DLC campaigns I will be rather cross if the sequel sees a similar fate.

lacktheknack:
I... did not realize, until right now, that the title of the game is a crude pun.

I'm an idiot.

Don't worry, my friend was the same. I talked to him about it, and pronounced it "butthole", and it's only then that he got it. He also missed the "Shi Ti Pah Town" joke in the South Park episodes, until he heard it pronounced "Shitty part of town".

On that note, I hope Whole Foods and Shi Ti Pah Town are new areas in the Fractured But Whole. I'm already very happy that PC principle in the game.

dragongit:
What else is new? It'll be a shock when a game announces a release date, and KEEPS it.

What's new is that UBISOFT delays a game instead of forcibly pumping out half-finished bullshit.

didnt expect that from ubisoft. well, as long every version works, especially pc, i have no complaints for the delay. im anyway very busy with the witcher 3 since i have gotten my self the GOTY edition.

I'm a little behind on current gamer etiquette, but I'm supposed to respond to this by calling the author a liar and making death threats against him, right? That's what we do now?

Surprised at a delay but now they have no excuse to not make it the best game ever.

After the first game and it's delays, I have no problem with the second being delayed. The first one was wicked awesome, and if it takes a delay to make the second one as hella cool then so be it.

Bobular:

I don't know why they even ANNOUNCE a game exists years before they intend to release it, much less the release date. They shouldn't announce a game until at most 6 months before the actual intended release date, and the release date itself no more than 2 months before that date. Long enough to generate hype, but short enough the developers can give an accurate description of the game and have gotten through the vast majority if not all of any issues that could possibly crop up to delay the game further and thus can give an accurate release date. Also, if it ends up cancelled before then we didn't know it existed anyway so no loss to either us or the reputation of the company.

Of course, that would make sense, and the video game industry just hates doing anything that makes sense.

immortalfrieza:

Bobular:

I don't know why they even ANNOUNCE a game exists years before they intend to release it, much less the release date. They shouldn't announce a game until at most 6 months before the actual intended release date, and the release date itself no more than 2 months before that date. Long enough to generate hype, but short enough the developers can give an accurate description of the game and have gotten through the vast majority if not all of any issues that could possibly crop up to delay the game further and thus can give an accurate release date. Also, if it ends up cancelled before then we didn't know it existed anyway so no loss to either us or the reputation of the company.

Of course, that would make sense, and the video game industry just hates doing anything that makes sense.

Honestly, I'd like just for once, some dev to get up on stage at E3 or wherever. Show a game, then be like. "Demo's out now, release date is in (some time in the next 4 months)". Literally, not announcing the thing until its gone gold and final state. No years long hype, trailers for concept art, gameplay trailers featuring stuff that changes 293 times before release, etc. Just "Hey, we made this thing, its made now."

I honestly don't get the pre-order mentality that seems to drive the whole thing. Insofar as I know, they aren't actually getting the money from the pre-orders (unless you specifically order it on their own store-sites) until the games out anyways. Potentially losing some people who just get sick of waiting (Me with Starbound or Darkest Dungeon, for instance)

I do remember the last time it occurred (Entwined for PS4 was available the day after the Sony E3 conference a year or two ago), but it'd be nice to see it done with a game that had a bit more meat to it.

Seth Carter:

Honestly, I'd like just for once, some dev to get up on stage at E3 or wherever. Show a game, then be like. "Demo's out now, release date is in (some time in the next 4 months)". Literally, not announcing the thing until its gone gold and final state. No years long hype, trailers for concept art, gameplay trailers featuring stuff that changes 293 times before release, etc. Just "Hey, we made this thing, its made now."

I do remember the last time it occurred (Entwined for PS4 was available the day after the Sony E3 conference a year or two ago), but it'd be nice to see it done with a game that had a bit more meat to it.

I don't know if you know this or not, but Bethesda did exactly that with Fallout 4, I can't remember exactly when but they didn't even say it existed until a few short months before it's release. As a result hype shot up into the stratosphere and we had a game that was exactly as advertised releasing exactly when stated. It's one of those "great solely because it's so rare for it to be done right not because it was exceptional in itself" kind of things, though the presentation was great.

immortalfrieza:

Seth Carter:

I don't know if you know this or not, but Bethesda did exactly that with Fallout 4, I can't remember exactly when but they didn't even say it existed until a few short months before it's release. As a result hype shot up into the stratosphere and we had a game that was exactly as advertised releasing exactly when stated. It's one of those "great solely because it's so rare for it to be done right not because it was exceptional in itself" kind of things, though the presentation was great.

I'd say their hand was kind of forced by leaks too. There was a big one in 2013, and another one in 2014.

Its one of the better examples granted. The usual BSing in the reveal with some of the graphics and animations being scripted (The whole settlement segment in the reveal shows NPC behaviors that never manages to coalesce in the game).

Its also not a stellar example though, as its really just minor touch-ups and a new map for a game they've already been on two outings with. Other then settlements, there's so little development or features being added that it'd be kind of crazy if they did have to take something out. Its kind of like Far Cry : Blood Dragon (which I think also just dropped out nowhere, on April Fools Day, no less) in that respect.

Well, the first game faced massive delays but turned out pretty good in the end (despite actually making me physically ill on more than one occasion). So long as it doesn't require uplay I'll be happy.

In a sick way this is funny

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here