Disney is Rebooting The Lion King

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Disney is Rebooting The Lion King

Lion King Reboot News #6

The "reimagining" will be helmed by Jon Favreau.

After the likes of Cinderella and The Jungle Book, Disney has decided that the next animated movie to get the reboot treatment will be The Lion King. The company announced today that it is on the "fast track to production," which likely means we'll see it before the sequel to The Jungle Book, which is also in the works. Both projects are set to be directed by Jon Favreau.

Technically speaking, the new version of The Lion King might be the first entirely animated "reboot" movie Disney will be doing. Despite often having extensive CGI - almost all of The Jungle Book and a good portion of Maleficent - there were human characters. Unless there are significant changes to the story, that won't be the case with The Lion King.

The original Lion King was released in 1994 and has grossed over $968 million worldwide. It won two Academy Awards, spawned a franchise, and got a Broadway adaptation. It is one of the most successful animated movies in history - of course it was on the shortlist to be "reimagined," as Disney puts it.

The next Disney reboot film will be Beauty and the Beast, which is scheduled to appear in theaters March 17, 2017. Disney's track record for the release of these films is currently set at one a year, which means that, if fast-tracked, The Lion King will aim to open midway through 2018 - even if that is a very quick turnaround time for something that requires such extensive effects work. No release date has been announced at this time.

Source: The Walt Disney Company

Okie dokie. So will this be in slightly awkward Jungle Book 'Live Action' cgi or heavily stylised Frozen/Big Hero 6/Zootopia style cgi? Either way 2018 will not happen, even Disney cannot script and animate a feature length film that fast.

Either way if it doesn't have James Earl Jones' voicing Mufasa it's doomed, you cannot re-cast James Earl Jones, it's simply not possible.

I'm curious to see whether this will work or not, it'll either be great or a Green Lantern scale train wreck. I'm also curious to see whether or not it awakens another generation of latent Furries to the world, ala Eddie Redmayne...

As iconic as the art is in the original, any retooling with cgi is going to look wrong.

I already can see the Narnia joke at the end of Cinemasin's EWW Lion King reboot.

I likely will not see it, unless my brother drags me to it, like Jungle Book (cause I didnt even like the animated movie).

I like Lion King too much to want to see this though. Im looking forward to Beauty and the Beast but thats because they seem to be using all the same exact songs, and Emma Watson. After that cat movie, she has replaced Kevin Spacey as "actor I will see in anything".

...Why? I mean, Disney has obviously pulled it off before, but the Lion King was very special. I can only see disaster approaching.

Why do they feel the need to "reboot" this?
The original still holds up and always will because good 2d animation is timeless and the reboot can only get worse.
Are there no more new stories to tell?

Saelune:
After that cat movie, she has replaced Kevin Spacey as "actor I will see in anything".

Now that you will have to explain.

fix-the-spade:

Saelune:
After that cat movie, she has replaced Kevin Spacey as "actor I will see in anything".

Now that you will have to explain.

Kevin Spacey was your normal every day rich asshole dad, but suddenly...he becomes a cat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Lives_(2016_film)

Edit: I realize the issue. He lost my respect for being in a shitty kids movie.

I don't have any positive ties to childhood memories much, so am feeling indifferent. The Jungle Book remingling was better than I gave them credit for. (Though, for the record, not all bears personally send underage boys on life endangering fetch quests for their honey fix. (thanks, western capitalism!)) As long as they continue the soundtrack, I'll watch talking wild cats all day.

Well... we knew it would happen. Fuck.

I really HATE Disney sometimes. More and more it seems the artists and creative people are being pushed out for the corporate types only interested in squeezing money out of previously valuable IPs.

Can't wait for the super relatable back story they'll give Scar whilst removing all the camp/dramatic flair from his personality, the lack of any real songs apart from some half-assed version of Hakuna Matata, and the destiny aspect of the story to be jarringly prominent this time round...

Whoopie.

fix-the-spade:

I'm also curious to see whether or not it awakens another generation of latent Furries to the world

Wasn't that supposed to be Zootopia?

OT: I'll wait to reserve judgment. Chances are the animals will look similar to the Jungle Book. I didn't find that tooo uncanny.

I'm shocked they haven't called in J.J Abrams on this.

You'd think the rising sun for Simba's coronation giving such good opportunities for lens flare the likes of which we have never seen before would be all the salary he needs.

I... don't care anymore, I loved the new Oz, Cinderella and The Jungle Book, really did not mind what they did to Alice or Sleeping Beauty, will NOT see Pete's Dragon, and I'm extremely eager to see Beauty and the Beast, or as everyone calls it Emma Watson and the Rest.

Disney only managed to piss me off when they announced a live-action Winnie the Pooh in the lines of the new Alice, main character grown up and all of the magic and color of that world is no more, Disney keep your excuses to mantaing the mouse until copyright law gives up, but leave the purity and innocence of Winnie the Pooh alone. Do you want to run Lion King's success to the ground like the three sequels and TV show did? That's fine by me

Eclipse Dragon:

fix-the-spade:

I'm also curious to see whether or not it awakens another generation of latent Furries to the world

And here I always thought it was Space Jam

Eclipse Dragon:

Latent nothing, that was blatantly and shamelessly made for Furries, probably by Furries too.

The Lion King was more accidental, unless Charlie Fink and Jeffrey Katzenberg have a secret non-morphic thing going on.

Funny, I just saw this last week. Was gonna watch Aladdin next but I might skip out on it for fear of a remake of that.

Fuck Disney! The Lion King is one of the best movies they ever made. A reboot is neither needed nor (i would guess) wanted. Just another cash grab by picking something 'safe' and squeezing it for all they are worth.

I expected better, fuck knows why i did though...

Is the main Disney company ashamed of their roots as an animation studio? I mean, their current animation studio is making some of the most money and their best films in recent years. Why does this exist? This shouldn't exist. Somebody make this go away, please?

Milking old franchises? I guess you could say thats just the circle of life.

Welllllll... I think "Jungle Book" proved that they can do it. Whether adapting an original property (yes, yes, Kimba, I know, go away), especially one as revered as Lion King, is a good idea... Time will tell.

I mean, Pete's Dragon really had nowhere to go but up. Lion King? Not so much.

zidine100:
Milking old franchises? I guess you could say thats just the circle of life.

Ba-Dump Tish!

Caramel Frappe:

anthony87:

Eclipse Dragon:

And here I always thought it was Space Jam

............. It's funny how much detail went into a side character to flesh out how sexy she is.
In a kid's movie. I mean, I know Space Jam was also aimed for adults but I still question why she even exists.

OT:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BOY HERE WE GO~ get ready to take a back seat as Disney tries to get an easy 1 billion dollar cash grab from the world by rebooting a classic Disney movie. Right off the bat, I could tell something wasn't quite right. What exactly can they do / add / improve on the original? The animation on the first Lion King was perfect, the songs were great, Scar was an incredible antagonist, the scenes are memorable ... like jesus christ the movie is more than fine without being altered. What can they possibly do to improve the quality / scenes themselves? It's an obvious attempt to get more money, relying on our nostalgia to get them rich(er).

Because most people in the industry are closet furries who brainwash kids to like sexualized rabbit girls

This reboot will probably lack "Do Me Eyes Nala". Not sure if it'll lack Elton John.
Also....
Seriously....
Disney....
When are you going to reboot Gargoyles into a live action movie? If its somehow because a lack of furries, well there's always The Mutates.

Hey Disney, instead of rebooting a well-crafted and pretty timeless story involving Hamlet told through Lions and work on something otherwise great but you can remove the crippling flaw.

Ooh, have it be about xenophobia and self-identity.
Maybe set it in a location known for having culture clashes. France is good for that.
And we can remove the annoying 90s from the sidekicks.
Maybe a story that involves religious identity leading to hate.
And just, you know, spitballing, that the gargoyles can be imaginary?

Caramel Frappe:

OT:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BOY HERE WE GO~ get ready to take a back seat as Disney tries to get an easy 1 billion dollar cash grab from the world by rebooting a classic Disney movie.

Ok, so, Jungle Book is a good Movie, clearly not a cash grab. Why assume thatz this is? Do you really think Disney isn't aware of the risks involved in this?

Right off the bat, I could tell something wasn't quite right. What exactly can they do / add / improve on the original?

Plenty really.

The animation on the first Lion King was perfect, the songs were great, Scar was an incredible antagonist, the scenes are memorable ... like jesus christ the movie is more than fine without being altered.

They aren't altering the original. They are going to retell the story, presumably with a different artistic direction.

What can they possibly do to improve the quality / scenes themselves?

Much like they did with The Jungle Book, they can change the tone of the film. Another thing you might be ignoring is that the original animated feature glosses over a few things. We don't really see much of what makes Scar such a terrible ruler...remember, desolate wasteland under Scar, beautiful savanna under Simba...and we don't actually see why, it's implied that they overhunted...but there isn't much to it in the actual Movie.

You are right, the Songs will probably go bye bye. That's ok though. It doesn't have to be a musical. The Jungle Book clearly wasn't and still managed to ultimately incorporate it's most important tunes.

Remember, in the original, most of Simba's time with Timon and Pumba is covered in a musical montage...

Basically, the Movie will likely be longer and less musically inclined. But it will also allow for more depth to the characters if utilized in that way. I really don't mind a re-telling that will likely trim the fat and give us more meat. It's not like the original will disappear or something.

It's an obvious attempt to get more money, relying on our nostalgia to get them rich(er).

Seriously dude? What do you expect them to do, stuff that is likely to lose them money?

OT: Awesome, we just re-watched the Jungle Book today and lamented that there is no such version of the Lion King. We couldn't have been more excited over seeing this post.

Ah, I can already picture it... a Strong Girl Lion inheriting a matriarchy this time, and everyone who doesn't demonstrate their love in the most manic terms conceivable will be branded a "misogynist" and cast out of polite society. Or possibly charged under new "hate crime" legislation. It's gonna be Epic!

Oh jesus...

What a terrible idea, I mean great idea for them cause they will make bank, but for everyone else.

If they change the music...that would just suck, because the music is pretty darn good.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH ZIIIIPEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDAAAAAAAA(?), MAAOOOOOOPPPEEEEEEEEEE DABA DO DABA DEE(?),

ooooooooooooooo yeaba ah doooooooooooooo(?)

And caaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn you feeeeeeeeelllllll, the looooooooooovvvvvvvvveee tooooooooniii-iiiiigggghhhhhtt,
it is where we are,
it's enough, for this wiiiide eyeeeedd wanderer,
thaaattt we got thissss far

This is all fine and good and I'm sure it's going to be an easy pay-day for Disney but why don't they just...ya know...reboot their movies that didn't do well? Why can't we get a reboot of The Black Cauldron or Robin Hood? Yeah, we just had like...5 Robin Hood movies in the last few years and Black Cauldron might be a little too Huntsman/Maleficent but those made money. I loved Lion King sure but Disney has other properties that could use more love.

MCerberus:
Hey Disney, instead of rebooting a well-crafted and pretty timeless story involving Hamlet told through Lions and work on something otherwise great but you can remove the crippling flaw.

Maybe set it in a location known for having culture clashes. France is good for that.

We talking about 101 Dalmatians?

RaikuFA:

MCerberus:

We talking about 101 Dalmatians?

no that movie needs its proper sequel, Starlight Barking

I think that's dumb, not just for nostalgia reasons either. The issue for me is that Disney has completely abandoned hand drawn cell animation. I am so tired of CGI movies that are just visually boring that I don't think I could sit through it if I wanted to. It's weird because a lot of those classic animated moves are timeless. Great music, great animation and voice talents, etc. We'll see what happens, but I won't be holding my breath.

Shoggoth2588:
This is all fine and good and I'm sure it's going to be an easy pay-day for Disney but why don't they just...ya know...reboot their movies that didn't do well? Why can't we get a reboot of The Black Cauldron or Robin Hood? Yeah, we just had like...5 Robin Hood movies in the last few years and Black Cauldron might be a little too Huntsman/Maleficent but those made money. I loved Lion King sure but Disney has other properties that could use more love.

Hollywood is backwards. They shamelessly retool movies people love and ignore movies that had potential but didn't do well.

Baresark:

Shoggoth2588:

Hollywood is backwards. They shamelessly retool movies people love and ignore movies that had potential but didn't do well.

As true as that is it's weird when they do decide to remake something with potential but which didn't age well, like the original Pete's Dragon. I don't know how well that movie did originally but looking at it not too long ago I don't see how it could have done TOO well unless Micky Rooney was really that much of a draw back in the day.

I know I sound like a broken record here but can we, or at least you, please stop referring to every remake as a "reboot" as if it was some ongoing franchise up to this point?

Also I can't believe I'm saying this but I miss Michael Eisner and I want him back. Can somebody remind me why we decided he was the spawn of Satan?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here