Call of Duty 4 Remaster Requires Infinite Warfare Disc

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Call of Duty 4 Remaster Requires Infinite Warfare Disc

Modern Warfare Multiplayer

You won't be able to sell your copy of Infinite Warfare and keep playing the Call of Duty 4 remaster.

One of (if not the only) exciting thing about Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is that it comes packaged with a HD remaster of Call of Duty 4, widely regarded as one of (if not the) best in the series. However, if you were planning on buying Infinite Warfare just for the remaster, then selling your copy of the game, you may be out of luck, as the official website for the game has been updated, stating that the Infinite Warfare disc is required to play.

"Modern Warfare Remastered is a full game download (game disc must be inserted to play Modern Warfare Remastered). Internet connection required," states the line in question. It was previously announced that MW: Remastered would be a digital-only product packaged with premium editions of IW. We naturally assumed that as with other digital products, it would simply be a download code that you redeemed once and was then tied to your account. It now appears that Activision is forcing players to keep their Infinite Warfare discs in order to play.

Obviously, if you purchase a digital version of Infinite Warfare, this will no longer apply.

Activision has not said if Modern Warfare Remastered will ever be sold on its own.

We've reached out for confirmation.

Source: GameSpot

Well of course. The mass negative response to the way they've handled this told them the would be in the bargain bins of second hand game sellers everywhere a month after launch, got to stop that happening somehow.

Apparently a much more customer friendly practice of just selling the games separately didn't even occur to them as an option for how to achieve that.

Still can't decide whether I should pony up the cash for the uber edition and get both games, or just Call of Shoot Evil Jon Snow IN SPACE.

Also: what's with the Modern Warfare 2 screenshot?

Battenberg:
Well of course. The mass negative response to the way they've handled this told them the would be in the bargain bins of second hand game sellers everywhere a month after launch, got to stop that happening somehow.

Apparently a much more customer friendly practice of just selling the games separately didn't even occur to them as an option for how to achieve that.

It does smack of a certain lack of confidence in Infinite Warfare, which I would have said is strange if the internet hadn't been full of shrieking crybabies who, having spent the last decade complaining that COD never does anything new*, completely dismissed Infinite Warfare for doing something new.

*Apparently the Black Ops series doesn't count.

Yes, we are going to fuck you.
No, you do not like being fucked.
Yes, we understand that you do not appreciate being fucked like this.
No, we will not apologize for your fucking.

Buy our products.

I completely fail to understand the negative reaction to this game. They get berated for a lack of innovation, so they decide to add space combat and zero-g FPS mechanics, and they get berated because it's not the same?

TT Kairen:
I completely fail to understand the negative reaction to this game. They get berated for a lack of innovation, so they decide to add space combat and zero-g FPS mechanics, and they get berated because it's not the same?

We still dont know how much of that is a part of regular (online) gameplay instead of being a campaign one-off gimmick.

...wait, isn't it standard anyway (at least for consoles) that you need the disc in anyway even if the entire game is installed on the hard drive if you purchased the physical copy? I know I've got to do that with my PS4 for a whole bunch of games anyway, so... yeah, doesn't seem like that big a deal?

TT Kairen:

They might say that, but a large part of the negative reaction might be because of the atrocious first trailer, along with that god-awful cover of "Space Oddity".

Or maybe people are getting tired of CoD at long last.

TT Kairen:

Isn't it just that the people who keep saying that COD does nothing new is a different group to the people that keeps buying the game each year.

In my opinion they should have kept doing what they were doing all this time, they wouldn't get the whining people to buy their game but they could have kept their usual players. Now from what I see, they just estranged their normal fanbase while "the people who wanted something new" are just happily watching the clusterfuck from the sidelines.

Probably the only one here who's genuinely enthused for the game. And I say that as someone who hasn't played CoD since the WWII games.

TT Kairen:

Well, excluding how people rag on CoD regardless, I think it's a case of the straw breaking the camel's back. As in:

-It's another CoD game. Even within the fanbase that might account for something.

-It's another future game in a series that started off in WWII, and found popularity in the modern era. So, coupled with Advanced Warfare, Black Ops 2/3, and Ghosts (to a lesser extent), that's 3-4 "future games" in a row. In a time previous, there was some alternation between time period (e.g. Infinity Ward got the Modern Warfare series, while Treyarch handled WaW/BO1), but now? It's all in the future. I think this is the single biggest reason.

Course that's a boon for me, since I'm a sucker for sci-fi, but I can understand why people don't like it. Certainly I'd be pissed with a 21st century Halo game for instance.

-Doesn't help that the reveal trailer isn't that good by itself, and it was announced in the shadow of Battlefield 1. Whatever you think of Battlefield, it's never covered WWI, and few games, FPS or otherwise, have done so, at least in comparison to the wars that came afterwards. So, you have CoD apparently stagnating on one hand, Battlefield innovating on the other hand, and thus, Infinite Warfare looks worse by default. Same reason how Paladins has existed in Overwatch's shadow for instance.

-That Modern Warfare Remastered is locked behind it is seen as a ploy (correctly) to get people to buy the game, in order to get access to MW1. That's going to sour a lot of people.

So, yeah. I think Infinite Warfare has suffered from a lot of things, both external and internal, in regards to reception. Which is a shame, because IMO, it looks quite interesting, both in terms of gameplay and, to an extent, story.

Battenberg:

It almost certainly has occured to them, they just won't do it until six months after Infinite Warfare's release when that game's sales have run their course. Probably at full or close to full price too.

Alternatively, just buy the original Modern Warfare on Steam and install some graphics mods.

TT Kairen:

Call of Duty being Call of Duty, the Zero-G mechanics and space combat will last a few minutes, if that, Zero G combat was in Ghosts too. I think many people are somehwat sick of Call of Duty: Future-ey Warfare since that what BlOps 3 was, it's what Advanced Warfare was and BlOps 2 had shades of it too with all the drones and VTOLs hurtling around.

With three developers doing three games separately you would think even Activision would have a little bit more diversity than making every game look and sound like a Neil Blomkamp movie.

The use of that awful David Bowie cover in the trailer didn't help either, use the real thing or don't use it at all. So soon after his death too.

Why would it not require the disk? Is that not par for the course?

Holding the CoD4 hostage in order to force your customer to buy your new game? Man, they sure are confident in that new product of theirs.

Cod4 is the only thing making me want this. I lost 2 and a half years of my life to cod4 multiplayer.

I really dont like the look of the new class based mp. I can do that on battlefield or overwatch. Having said that, Ive not bought a cod game since mw3. I never liked the treyarch games, so when Activision culled the IW staff I left the franchise with them.

Bob_McMillan:
Why would it not require the disk? Is that not par for the course?

Not for a digital download.

MeatMachine:
Yes, we are going to fuck you.
No, you do not like being fucked.
Yes, we understand that you do not appreciate being fucked like this.
No, we will not apologize for your fucking.

Buy our products.

And no, we will not apply lube or wear a condom either. Enjoy the fucking. We have already taken your money.

This is a perfect opportunity for consumers to say fuck you to Activision. You have to be naive and have no willpower to buy into this shit. It's a 10 year anniversary of MW4. Of course it will get a standalone release. And the less people buy Infinite Warfare the faster that will happen because Activision needs to make their holiday season money. They can't do that if their game doesn't sell. So don't buy it. Instead of being forced to buy a product that you don't want to get the one you want, force them to sell you the product you want.

Adam Jensen:
This is a perfect opportunity for consumers to say fuck you to Activision. You have to be naive and have no willpower to buy into this shit. It's a 10 year anniversary of MW4. Of course it will get a standalone release. And the less people buy Infinite Warfare the faster that will happen because Activision needs to make their holiday season money. They can't do that if their game doesn't sell. So don't buy it. Instead of being forced to buy a product that you don't want to get the one you want, force them to sell you the product you want.

*In response to sales figures for the remastered bundle edition* "It seems our predictions were wrong. We thought people would be excited to replay one of their favorite and one of the most successful games ever but as it turns out by our figures...people don't want a remaster of an old beloved game like we thought. With this new information, we have decided in halting development of modern warfare 2 and 3 remasters and are now focusing on what people actually want. Zombies In Space!"

ddrkreature:
*In response to sales figures for the remastered bundle edition* "It seems our predictions were wrong. We thought people would be excited to replay one of their favorite and one of the most successful games ever but as it turns out by our figures...people don't want a remaster of an old beloved game like we thought. With this new information, we have decided in halting development of modern warfare 2 and 3 remasters and are now focusing on what people actually want. Zombies In Space!"

Folks at Activision aren't stupid. They know the difference between lack of interest and backlash.

ddrkreature:
we have decided in halting development of modern warfare 2 and 3 remasters and are now focusing on what people actually want. Zombies In Space!"

Why would you want a re-make of MW2/3 anyway? Modern Warfare was the good one, the two sequels trip over and fall down the infinite well of human stupidity.

I thought this was a given.

Still rubbing salt in the wound though. I don't even like COD4 that much and this pisses me off. Because I know plenty of people do like it and want to play it without Infinity Wars.

erttheking:
I thought this was a given.

Still rubbing salt in the wound though. I don't even like COD4 that much and this pisses me off. Because I know plenty of people do like it and want to play it without Infinity Wars.

That's a crossover that would make me care about the game.
CoD as it is just waiting for the yearly model to become unviable for it like it has for Ubisoft.

Dragonlayer:
Still can't decide whether I should pony up the cash for the uber edition and get both games, or just Call of Shoot Evil Jon Snow IN SPACE.

Also: what's with the Modern Warfare 2 screenshot?

Battenberg:

It does smack of a certain lack of confidence in Infinite Warfare, which I would have said is strange if the internet hadn't been full of shrieking crybabies who, having spent the last decade complaining that COD never does anything new*, completely dismissed Infinite Warfare for doing something new.

*Apparently the Black Ops series doesn't count.

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't like the CoD series not because it exists, but because everyone HAD to copy it and anything original was pushed aside to make "grizzled man with a gun game #286". Thankfully with games like Doom 2016 and Overwatch that seems to be dying.

So, it requires both game disc AND internet connection to play, despite there being a SP mode and the game not using the disc.

Activision, you're the scum of the earth.

The fact that they aren't just selling the two games separately aside, this seems reasonable.

I mean, when you purchase the product as a singular product, you get both games. So if you go to get a refund, you should be returning both games. You're not obligated to keep one of the games and get your money back for both.

As for reselling it, I mean yeah, I suppose it'd be nice if you could just sell Infinite Warfare to someone and keep Modern Warfare Remastered for yourself, but then it depends on how much your reselling it for since you're keeping a part of the content that originally came with it.

But this doesn't matter. Point is, they should have just sold them separately. This is a really shady way of getting your numbers for the latest game up so you can stay in the spotlight and go "Look! Even our newest game is a best seller!"

Why do people want a MW remaster?
Wasn't everyone bored of modern military shooters just now? Or have the nostalgia goggles kicked in and this game no longer aged like milk?

munx13:
Wasn't everyone bored of modern military shooters just now? Or have the nostalgia goggles kicked in and this game no longer aged like milk?

A big reason for so many people being sick of Modern Warfare type games is that none of them, not even it's own sequels, quite managed to capture that lightning in a bottle again.

The single player had a great plot that subverted the then standard FPS tropes and did the unthinkable in having an unhappy ending (you win, but Soap is crippled and everyone else dies, not mention Jackson's unceremonious death half way through). The multiplayer is pretty simple, but fast, balanced and full of great maps.

The sequels (and imitators) just pile crap upon crap on top of the multiplayer to the point it became an item grind, whilst the single player plot goes full Trump with the casual endorsement torture and thinly veiled xenophobia. Not to mention ret-conning the end of CoD4 for the sake of bringing back the named characters for a who-can-die-the-most-theatrically competition. It got old very fast, but Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is still a pretty excellent game regardless of the baggage that follows it now.

The devil's advocate in me believes the reason this is is due to the 'fact' that Modern Warfare Resurgence uses assets from COD-in-Space like a DLC normally would, hence why you need the disc. Now, to argue that, they could've spent, like, a day to make it an actual standalone and boom, no more problem.

Of course, I don't know the actual costs involved with all of this so I can't say for sure if this was 100% pure greed or if it was more like "okay, but can you honestly justify the additional development time when we can just utilize the assets from the main game and save money/make our investors happy?".

praisegrima

Adam Jensen:

Folks at Activision aren't stupid.

Controversial.

Yeah not sure why this is news.

Not having access to something that you've returned is pretty standard in most places.

distortedreality:
Yeah not sure why this is news.

Not having access to something that you've returned is pretty standard in most places.

I guess reading is a dying art these days.
This is new because it applies not to Infinite Warfare but rather to Modern Warfare Remastered. You need an Infinite Warfare disc to play Modern Warfare Remastered despite MWR being a digital download. Which is stupid and anti-consumer.

I feel that Activision's "fuck u" marketing will continue a long way unless people stopped buying the games.

Having an old PC does have it's advantages

fix-the-spade:

munx13:

A big reason for so many people being sick of Modern Warfare type games is that none of them, not even it's own sequels, quite managed to capture that lightning in a bottle again.

The single player had a great plot that subverted the then standard FPS tropes and did the unthinkable in having an unhappy ending (you win, but Soap is crippled and everyone else dies, not mention Jackson's unceremonious death half way through). The multiplayer is pretty simple, but fast, balanced and full of great maps.

The sequels (and imitators) just pile crap upon crap on top of the multiplayer to the point it became an item grind, whilst the single player plot goes full Trump with the casual endorsement torture and thinly veiled xenophobia. Not to mention ret-conning the end of CoD4 for the sake of bringing back the named characters for a who-can-die-the-most-theatrically competition. It got old very fast, but Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is still a pretty excellent game regardless of the baggage that follows it now.

Having re-played COD4 a few months back I have to say that the single-player is just as laughably full "Trump" as the more recent COD's. Hell, the last few iterations actually toned it down. It's still an ultra-linear FPS that, as Yahtzee put it, assumes you have ADD and bangs your head with a frying pan to keep you moving forward.
I think now the reason everyone wants the remake is because that teens who played it years back are now old enough to have nostalgia for it and haven't touched it long enough to see its glaring flaws.

Wrex Brogan:
...wait, isn't it standard anyway (at least for consoles) that you need the disc in anyway even if the entire game is installed on the hard drive if you purchased the physical copy? I know I've got to do that with my PS4 for a whole bunch of games anyway, so... yeah, doesn't seem like that big a deal?

I got Fallout 3 with my copy of Fallout 4. I also got Alan Wake with my copy of Quantum Break. Neither of the extras require the disc to play

It seems Activision is going into full panic mode with Infinite Warfare, knowing that MWR may be it's only hope at this point.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.