A Suicide Squad Extended Cut Has Been Announced

A Suicide Squad Extended Cut Has Been Announced

Despite initial reports to the contrary, Warner Bros. has announced there will be an extended cut of Suicide Squad.

It was just in August when director David Ayer told Collider that the theatrically released cut of Suicide Squad was "my cut," and that while there were 10 minutes of cut footage, they'd probably only be available as extras on the eventual home video release.

Then again, that was from a man promoting the theatrical version of the movie. If he were to come out and say "no, that's not the real version; you'll get the 'real' version in four months" then the box office wouldn't have been as strong as it wound up being. He couldn't have said anything else.

Today, it was announced that an extended - not "director's," which may or may not matter - version of the film will be released on home video. It'll contain approximately 13 minutes of additional footage and will be available to purchase on Digital HD on November 15th, as well as on Blu-ray on December 13th. The teaser trailer does contain the word "unrated," but many of these extended cuts don't bother going through a re-rating process. This doesn't mean that it'll be the "R-rated" version that many people were hoping for.

Here's hoping the new cut contains more than just extra Joker scenes. We don't need any more of those.

Hmmm, more might help this movie... or it will make is so much more muddled than it already was. If anything I would want to see the cut they did in the prescreenings. I had heard a lot of positive feed back from those and when those same people saw the theatrical release they seemed pretty disappointed.

Surprising absolutely no one. This seems to be the way DC operates at this point. Make a movie, cut out way too much important plot related material, and then release an extended cut that helps to clarify some of the worst plot holes. But how many other scenes, that needed to be cut, are also getting back in?

I fuckin knew it.

I am hoping it will have the original non reshoot version like the first comic con reveal trailer.

Hold on, let me check.
*checks*
Nope, still don't care.

so DC releases movies in an unwatchable state, makes a trainwreck that everyone wants to see, then releases the SAME movie but not neutered and makes money AGAIN from people. this is genius.
make people pay twice for the same movie

sagitel:
so DC releases movies in an unwatchable state, makes a trainwreck that everyone wants to see, then releases the SAME movie but not neutered and makes money AGAIN from people. this is genius.

Blame Lord of the Rings Extended Edition.

I don't think 13 minutes of anything could fix what was wrong with Suicide Squad

Samtemdo8:

sagitel:

to be fair 3:20, 3:50 and 4 hours are a little too long for a theater release.

Is DC trying to make this into a common practice, this is basically movie DLC, that the people who went to the cinema will have to pay extra to see the full experience, and it's not like the extended version made Batman v Superman that much different, it was just more filler with one or two motivations cleared.

To this day I'm still pissed about Watchmen, that had a theatrical release, then a director's cut that was an extended version and then ANOTHER extended version, bringing a 2.5 hours of "eh", to a staggering 3.5 hours of "meh"

Hopefully it adds the crucial Captain Boomerang vision that was cut.

sagitel:

Samtemdo8:

sagitel:

Did not stop Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia and Star Wars from being critical successes and box office smashes.

Samtemdo8:

sagitel:

Samtemdo8:

Did not stop Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia and Star Wars from being critical successes and box office smashes.

starwars never breaks 3 hours the closest they come is 142 minutes in attack of the clones. godfather series only the second part goes above 3 hours and that is 3:20. equal to the shotrest of the LOTR moves. lawrence of arabia is like the second part of godfather. so i still stand by my statement that LOTR movies are a too long for a theatrical release

sagitel:

Samtemdo8:

sagitel:

starwars never breaks 3 hours the closest they come is 142 minutes in attack of the clones. godfather series only the second part goes above 3 hours and that is 3:20. equal to the shotrest of the LOTR moves. lawrence of arabia is like the second part of godfather. so i still stand by my statement that LOTR movies are a too long for a theatrical release

But damn watching the early Star Wars movies in their entirety felt long. The longest being Return of the Jedi, after the Jaba the Hutt part it felt like it drags.

Zacharious-khan:
I don't think 13 minutes of anything could fix what was wrong with Suicide Squad

I'll take 13 more minutes of Margot in booty shorts please.

I find it funny that Marter doesn't want anymore Joker scenes, but I want to see all the footage that they shot of Leto. According to an interview there was enough there for a Joker movie alone, and my biggest problem with him in the film was that outside of the flashback scenes, his presence in the film was absolutely unnecessary to the plot in any way, shape, or form. But aside from that I felt he did a great job of the portrayal of the Joker outside of the overzealous use of tattoos and would love to get to see more of him in the role.

These are crazy times we live in. Marvel is killing it in the movie department while their comics are fucking awful and DC's movies are terrible while the new comics are all really good.

Wtf mate?

Samtemdo8:

sagitel:

Except lord of the Rings were good movies to begin with

DC is just polishing shit at this point

Samtemdo8:

sagitel:

They unfortunately didn't notice that LotR is already really good and the extended cuts are of the same quality, there's just more of it.

I know Suicide Squad wasn't everyone's cup of tea (personally, I enjoyed it but also acknowledged the film was very flawed in numerous ways), but I'm excited for an Extended Cut. I enjoyed the original cut, so I'll probably enjoy the Extended Cut.

Burnouts3s3:
I know Suicide Squad wasn't everyone's cup of tea (personally, I enjoyed it but also acknowledged the film was very flawed in numerous ways), but I'm excited for an Extended Cut. I enjoyed the original cut, so I'll probably enjoy the Extended Cut.

same here. i had a good time watching it but certainly few things were missing that could have helped the movie. hopefully this may clear things up.
they did it with x-men days of the future past as well with its "rogue cut" edition that showed how they have freed her to replaces ellen pages character (forgot her movie name) and it made a bit more sense than in the original version.

Really starting to wonder if we can trust anything that comes out of the mouth of someone even slightly involved with the DCEU.

Oh, of course.

They had me going for a minute, there.

Igor-Rowan:
Is DC trying to make this into a common practice, this is basically movie DLC, that the people who went to the cinema will have to pay extra to see the full experience, and it's not like the extended version made Batman v Superman that much different, it was just more filler with one or two motivations cleared.

To this day I'm still pissed about Watchmen, that had a theatrical release, then a director's cut that was an extended version and then ANOTHER extended version, bringing a 2.5 hours of "eh", to a staggering 3.5 hours of "meh"

I found the extended cut of BvS to be much, much better, sometimes in some subtle ways. It filled in a few plot holes - the whole desert scene and the Senate hearing subplot - and greatly improved the pacing.

As for the idea of movie DLC - that's exactly what I was just thinking. I think WB feels that there's enough money to be made in peddling alternate edits to justify creating those edits in the first place. Whether or not the extensded cut of Suicide Squad will be any better is a totally different question. The film itself was thoroughly mediocre, with the positives (Harley Quinn, Amanda Waller) drowned out by the negatives (Enchantress, the entire plot.)

Samtemdo8:
But damn watching the early Star Wars movies in their entirety felt long. The longest being Return of the Jedi, after the Jaba the Hutt part it felt like it drags.

My friends and I went on a Star Wars marathon before seeing The Force Awakens, and it struck me dumb just how goddamn boring the middle part of Return of the Jedi was.

Basically, they have their cool speeder-bike chase and then it's like...half an hour of Ewoks, right between the second and third acts. I know people rag on the Ewoks a lot, but they don't do it enough. Those motherfuckers just show right up and immediately start wasting your time.

I don't think this will save what's wrong with it. Batman V Superman felt like they didn't have much breathing room, this did not feel like that. This came down to just frankly not very well conceived concepts smashed together in a ham-fisted and cynical way. The Characters are not really "bad guys" they're good guys with bad problems for the most part. The Joker is a freaking mess on all counts.

And I think Margot Robbie is great choice for her, I just think that the script for this movie was copy fucking pasted from some generic action title with no thought given to it what so ever.

HOW CAN A MOVIE ABOUT ARGUABLE SOME OF THE BEST VILLAINS IN ALL OF NERD CULTURE HAVE THE MOST FORGETTABLE VILLAIN OF ALL TIME AS IT'S MOVIES PRIME ANTAGONIST? This made absolutely no sense to me what so ever... The Soundtrack is cheaper Guardians of the Galaxy rip off.

I wonder how far the food chain you have to go down at Warner Brothers before you find someone who gives a shit about the source material, or even making movies in general when it came to this project, cause the more I think about it, the more I start to feel actually pretty angry that I paid to see this turd.... Putting a poster of Margot Robbie, next to my TV while watching any better Will Smith movie would be worlds better than this nonsense.

bastardofmelbourne:

My friends and I went on a Star Wars marathon before seeing The Force Awakens, and it struck me dumb just how goddamn boring the middle part of Return of the Jedi was.

Basically, they have their cool speeder-bike chase and then it's like...half an hour of Ewoks, right between the second and third acts. I know people rag on the Ewoks a lot, but they don't do it enough. Those motherfuckers just show right up and immediately start wasting your time.

You're not the only one who did a marathon - I watched all six episodes in chronological order (perspective changed on each one), and I will agree that Return of the Jedi does lag in places. That said, of the OT, I feel that RotJ feels far too slow at times, Empire moves far too quickly, while A New Hope hits the goldilocks zone, starting slow, but steadily increasing in pace. Partly why it's now my favorite movie of the now seven main ones.

Samtemdo8:

sagitel:

Those were already excellent films in their edited for cinema form, the extended edition simply expands on their quality rather than desperately hope to make quality appear as has been the case with BvS and most likely Suicide Squad.

bastardofmelbourne:
Oh, of course.

They had me going for a minute, there.

Igor-Rowan:

I found the extended cut of BvS to be much, much better, sometimes in some subtle ways. It filled in a few plot holes - the whole desert scene and the Senate hearing subplot - and greatly improved the pacing.

As for the idea of movie DLC - that's exactly what I was just thinking. I think WB feels that there's enough money to be made in peddling alternate edits to justify creating those edits in the first place. Whether or not the extensded cut of Suicide Squad will be any better is a totally different question. The film itself was thoroughly mediocre, with the positives (Harley Quinn, Amanda Waller) drowned out by the negatives (Enchantress, the entire plot.)

Samtemdo8:

Thank goodness the final part of Return of the Jedi completely redeemed the movie:

Gordon_4:

Samtemdo8:

sagitel:

Those were already excellent films in their edited for cinema form, the extended edition simply expands on their quality rather than desperately hope to make quality appear as has been the case with BvS and most likely Suicide Squad.

It has nothing to do with Quality, it has everything to do with WB making more money cutting footage from films and re-release them in pricy director's cut to make a couple of extra bucks.

Heck if they keep doing this on purpose theatrical movie will finally die.

Samtemdo8:

Gordon_4:

Samtemdo8:

It has nothing to do with Quality, it has everything to do with WB making more money cutting footage from films and re-release them in pricy director's cut to make a couple of extra bucks.

I don't doubt there's a profit motive at work, however I also maintain that theater's wouldn't run the extended editions as the regular release since for each single showing they can fit two other regulation length movies in and sell more tickets. So it makes sense to only release the extended editions on home media. Don't forget that in terms of ultimate/extended/director's cuts the Lord of the Rings are unique in that they had an exceptional amount of removed material. We aren't talking 15-20 minutes, we're talking nearly a full hour each.

sagitel:

It's all part of an elaborate DC marketing system. You can see it explained in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ebZVowE9-Y (Joker reacts to Suicide Squad. Skip to 3 minutes in.)

Maybe the Joker will actually be relevant in this cut.

I don't think this is some sort of cash grab by WB. People who see a movie at the theaters they like, will often buy the home release (regardless if it has extra footage or not). All this 'Directors Cut' will achieve is maybe a slight bump in home sales from the people who read the lackluster reviews and decided not to see it during the theatrical release.

Samtemdo8:

Gordon_4:

Samtemdo8:

This isn't remotely a new phenomenon. Blade Runner had about 5 different cuts released on video, DVD etc. over the years. And yet films have not died over the past 34 years. Having said that I think there is a better feeling towards new cuts of good films.

An extended cut? The cinema release was way, way too long as it was. A reduced cut would be an improvement in this instance.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here