Overwatch's Next Hero, Sombra, Halloween Event, Leaked

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Overwatch's Next Hero, Sombra, Halloween Event, Leaked

Overwatch's new hero, Sombra, is "one of the world's best and most notorious hackers," according to the leak.

The existence of Sombra, an upcoming Overwatch hero, has been hinted at by Blizzard quite a few times, and is part of an on-going ARG. Now, it looks like the Russian Overwatch community has blown the lid off the whole thing, revealing not only Sombra's look and identity, but also an upcoming Halloween-themed brawl and skins.

It all comes from the leaked image below:

The image appears to have been hacked from an internal website at Blizzard, and shows us exactly what Sombra looks like. Obviously a lot of the text is cut off, but from what is legible we see that she is "one of the world's best and most notorious hackers," and that she "was recruited by the mysterious Talon organization." This should give us a little bit of a hint as to what her abilities will be like. I'm thinking a defense hero that can possibly create/hack robots to fight for her.

Also leaked was the following image concerning an upcoming Halloween-themed special event:

In the image, we can clearly see several Halloween related skins.

We've reached out to Blizzard for more information, but now that the cat's out of the bag, we expect an official announcement to follow shortly.

Source: reddit

Cool, she carries an SMG.

Also, I'm hoping that "Junkenstein's Monster" (we see the back of their head, at the bottom) is Roadhog.

That's not Sombra! This is Sombra!

IceForce:
Cool, she carries an SMG.

Also, I'm hoping that "Junkenstein's Monster" (we see the back of their head, at the bottom) is Roadhog.

It is. The entire comic is pretty much out online.

Enough Zarya hair please. I'm still trying to forget it exists.

Bob_McMillan:

Zarya did not invent the concept of pink hair.

OT: Interesting. One thing I always thought about Overwatch was that it was lacking in bad characters. All we really had were Reaper and Widowmaker. Symmetra, Roadhog and Junkrat kinda count, but Symmetra is never really overly villainous and Roadhog and Junkrat are more Chaotic Neutral tha nanything else.

This is what happens when you make us wait three months blizzard

OT: I'm really excited for this Halloween update, from Sombra, to the Halloween costumes, To what seems to be a horde mode. I hope blizzard releases it soon.

erttheking:

OT: Interesting. One thing I always thought about Overwatch was that it was lacking in bad characters. All we really had were Reaper and Widowmaker. Roadhog and Junkrat kinda count, Roadhog and Junkrat are more Chaotic Neutral tha nanything else.

To be fair the plot line to Kings Row involves a bomb that Junkrat willingly made To kill a bunch of robots for Talon, So I don't see them having a problem with working with them, but Yes we need more villains Just so a match could potentially make sense in universe.

tf2godz:
This is what happens when you make us wait three months blizzard

OT: I'm really excited for this Halloween update, from Sombra, to the Halloween costumes, To what seems to be a horde mode. I hope blizzard releases it soon.

erttheking:

OT: Interesting. One thing I always thought about Overwatch was that it was lacking in bad characters. All we really had were Reaper and Widowmaker. Roadhog and Junkrat kinda count, Roadhog and Junkrat are more Chaotic Neutral tha nanything else.

To be fair the plot line to Kings Row involves a bomb that Junkrat willingly made To kill a bunch of robots for Talon, So I don't see them having a problem with working with them, but Yes we need more villains Just so a match could potentially make sense in universe.

True, I'm just interested in there being villains that believe in a cause of some kind. Junkrat mainly does what he does for shits and giggles, even if he claims it's for a cause. Hell, in one of the comics he even tried to go legit (Although it seems part of his motivation was to find a job where he could get paid to blow shit up)

Silentpony:

Please don't mention that villain again.

EVER!

erttheking:

OT: Interesting. One thing I always thought about Overwatch was that it was lacking in bad characters. All we really had were Reaper and Widowmaker. Symmetra, Roadhog and Junkrat kinda count, but Symmetra is never really overly villainous and Roadhog and Junkrat are more Chaotic Neutral tha nanything else.

Reaper and Widowmaker certainly. Symmetra no, IMO - she's shown in her comic to have a strong moral compass, that while Vishkar is willing to do horrific things for "the greater good," Symmettra has far more qualms about such actions. Roadhog and Junkrat I'd call "bad." The ALF had sympathetic goals, but their actions (murder, mayhem, and not just of omnics) are based on nothing but self-gain.

Hawki:

Silentpony:

Please don't mention that villain again.

EVER!

erttheking:

Yepyep. Definitely need more villains to balance out the heroes.

As far as looks, I like what I can see so far. She definitely looks like she could have stepped out of The Matrix, or some kind of cyberpunk thing. I just hope she's not wearing high heels. If Blizzard can avoid giving her high heels, I think the design will be great.

I'm actually curious about her abilities now. We know she's got an SMG, and it looks like she's got some kind of grenades or mines clipped onto her belt. I wonder if those weird gloves do anything, or if they're just for show.

erttheking:

Bob_McMillan:

Considering the fact that I see no pink in the pic that was leaked, I'd imagine Bob's talking more about the "female with half of her head shaved and the rest of her hair combed over the other side" look. :^)

Oh! Neat! A holiday update featuring new cosmetic items and other related content. A Halloween-themed in-game event. A themed comic associated with the event to tell the story behind it. All very cool. Glad to see Val...

Oh. Sorry. I had this confused with Team Fortress 2, for some reason...

rcs619:
I'm actually curious about her abilities now. We know she's got an SMG, and it looks like she's got some kind of grenades or mines clipped onto her belt.

I'll call it now and say those grenades are 'barrier blockers', - similar to Ana's grenade but instead of blocking healing, it blocks the use of Zarya's/Rein's/Winston's barriers for 2 or 3 seconds or so, thereby effectively making her another much-needed tank buster.

Because at the moment, Reaper is the only reliable tank buster we have, and tanks are absolutely dominating the meta right now, especially in competitive where you can only have one Reaper, but the enemy can have several tanks.

Add to this the way some people have been complaining lately about Zarya being too powerful and being in every single game and being difficult to counter, ...well, Sombra might just be the Zarya (hard-)counter those people are looking for.

Nice! Can't wait to open these Halloween themed loot boxes and get duplicate vanilla game sprays!!

All jokes aside, Sombra looks pretty cool, will definitely jump on and give her a try once she's out

Fitting that it was a hack that leaked her, rather than an official announcement.

IceForce:

rcs619:
I'm actually curious about her abilities now. We know she's got an SMG, and it looks like she's got some kind of grenades or mines clipped onto her belt.

I'll call it now and say those grenades are 'barrier blockers', - similar to Ana's grenade but instead of blocking healing, it blocks the use of Zarya's/Rein's/Winston's barriers for 2 or 3 seconds or so, thereby effectively making her another much-needed tank buster.

Because at the moment, Reaper is the only reliable tank buster we have, and tanks are absolutely dominating the meta right now, especially in competitive where you can only have one Reaper, but the enemy can have several tanks.

Add to this the way some people have been complaining lately about Zarya being too powerful and being in every single game and being difficult to counter, ...well, Sombra might just be the Zarya (hard-)counter those people are looking for.

Yeah, another tank buster would be nice. Reinhardt and Roadhog you can play around, and Winston is super easy to kill if he just yolo's in like an idiot. Zarya is tougher though, since those barriers also power her up and your only choices are to either try and power through them (and pump up her gun) or not shoot at her/the shielded person for a few seconds (which can be suicide in a teamfight, especially since other people on your team will probably just shoot the barrier anyway).

My only concern is that a barrier-blocker would be far too harsh on Reinhardt. All he's got is his barrier, basically. He can't fight at long-range while it's on cooldown like Zarya can.

But yes, there's a lot of ways they could go with a cyberpunk sorta character, and if that is her actual design... I honestly don't know which category she'd fit into (besides not being a tank). Probably defense? But who knows.

I'm actually more curious about that Halloween gamemode, where you have to defend against "Zomnics." Maybe a horde mode? That could be a lot of fun, and it'd be easy to reskin it for use outside of Halloween. I'm a sucker for a good horde mode :)

Steven Bogos:

The image appears to have been hacked from an internal website at Blizzard, ...

Why did this crack Russian hackers have to take a photograph of the screen?

Blitsie:
Nice! Can't wait to open these Halloween themed loot boxes and get duplicate vanilla game sprays!!

All jokes aside, Sombra looks pretty cool, will definitely jump on and give her a try once she's out

Hoping they learned from the summer games reaction and at least make them credit buyable...

But well aware that may be a vain hope.

Janichsan:

Steven Bogos:

The image appears to have been hacked from an internal website at Blizzard, ...

Right?
Hack = somebody at Blizzard took a photo of their monitor using their phone
?

Insert PC master race joke here, these Laura mods are coming left and right.

I can't wait for the Rule 34.

I.

JUST.

CAN'T

WAIT.

>:3

Had been trying to figure out who she reminds me of, and it finally clicked - Federova from Deus Ex Human Revolution.

She's definitely been Overwatch-ified, but the smgs and hair make it a pretty close resemblance.

Im looking forward to this.

Yay free content! Take note industry DLC savages.

Sombra looks cool and I can definitely dig a stealth character who might be able to counter some of the pesky flankers. The Halloween skins look... pretty predictable, really, if those are the skins.

There's some evidence from the text around it that they'll allow you to buy skins using points you can earn in the new Brawl/game mode, which would be a really good way of skirting the Summer Loot Box problem.

Steven Bogos:

cikame:

Yeeeeeeeeeah, I'm starting to more than a fair share of "similarities" between these two for my tastes.

Windknight:

Blitsie:

Hoping they learned from the summer games reaction and at least make them credit buyable...

But well aware that may be a vain hope.

God, I hope so. I actually had to BUY some loot boxes to get the Tracer and Zarya skins, I felt sooooooo dirty afterwards,

bjj hero:

Again, there's a chance (or probability if your cynical( which I am at least a little)) that the Halloween drops will not be credit buyable, so again you have three weeks to roll the lootcrate dice to try and get them.

Or you can gamble with real money by buying more lootcrate dice to roll.

Dammit, Witch Mercy? Man, there's a skin I want that I'm not going to get for sure via the RNG. XD

I really hope that they make it so that you can buy those event skins via credits during the next year's event. Keeps them exclusive for a while without making it unobtainable for people not buying loot boxes.

cikame:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who picked up the similarity. I can only hope that Sombra's voice isn't as annoying as Laura's.

aegix drakan:
Dammit, Witch Mercy? Man, there's a skin I want that I'm not going to get for sure via the RNG. XD

I really hope that they make it so that you can buy those event skins via credits during the next year's event. Keeps them exclusive for a while without making it unobtainable for people not buying loot boxes.

The horde mode thingie suggests that you earn points - the harder the difficulty, the more points you get- so maybe those points will be used to buy Halloween stuff? It'd be cool if the brawl played a bigger part in the event than Lucioball did for the Summer Games.

Windknight:

bjj hero:

Again, there's a chance (or probability if your cynical( which I am at least a little)) that the Halloween drops will not be credit buyable, so again you have three weeks to roll the lootcrate dice to try and get them.

Or you can gamble with real money by buying more lootcrate dice to roll.

I see why people complain but I quite liked that about summer games.

I was on holiday so didnt get to play SG as much as I would have liked. I only got the mercy and tracer skin, the odd voice line and a couple of sprays. I really wanted mccree but didnt get it.

Having said that, the skins I did get seem so much more special because they are rare... compared with every second reaper wearing the mariachi skin.

Mistral is that you?

She looks... ordinary. After how hyped this character was, i expected someone looking more unusual.

And yeah, noticed the similarity to the SFV char at first sight.

+1 to being underwhelmed by Sombra's look. I hope she at least gets some cool alternate skins.

Regarding haloween update.. I'm getting that mercy witch skin. Not ready to go so far as to ever buy loot boxes with real money so am just going to do it the old fashioned way: play a lot and hope rnjesus looks down kindly upon me.

What makes me :S is i got a ton of skins from the summer event i didn't care for (american mcree for example) on character i don't even use (mcree), so hope karma doesn't punish me for it by with holding the one skin i actually do want.

Bob_McMillan:

This is a little different imo, assuming that the half shaved head is due to cybernetic implants in her skull rather then trying to be fashionable.

Also, WHERE'S MY TORB VIKING SKIN?!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or