CS: GO Patch Monetizes Sprays, Makes Them Limited Use

CS: GO Patch Monetizes Sprays, Makes Them Limited Use

cs go graffiti box

Valve has decided to monetize even the humble spray. Purchasing a "Graffiti Box" allows you to use a single spray 50 times.

"Sprays" are an old-school staple of shooters, allowing players to spray a pattern onto the wall or floor of a map. Often used as a kind of taunt after killing a player, Valve games like Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike allowed players to upload and use their own custom sprays. Of course, there was always the odd obscene spray, but it was all in good fun. Now, Valve has decided to monetize the humble spray. If you want to use sprays in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, you'll have to purchase a "Graffiti Box" - a limited use item that allows you to spray a specific spray just 50 times.

Valve outlined the whole system in its Graffiti Update post. There are currently three ways to get in-game graffiti boxes: players have a chance to receive graffiti as a free weekly drop for ranking up, Graffiti Boxes featuring art created by Steam Community Artists can be purchased from the store, and individual graffiti patterns can be purchased from the Steam Market. As of time of writing, Graffiti boxes are going for anywhere between $2 and $30 a pop.

The Counter-Strike community is justifiably perturbed. As well as taking away a previously free feature and re-introducing it as yet another monetization stream for the game, some players have already found some in-game ways to abuse sprays in order to give themselves an advantage. For example, an imgur user shows how spray transparency issues on windows can effectively allow players to "hide" behind them on certain maps:

Valve has put together an F.A.Q if you have any further queries. What do you guys think about this one?

Source: Valve

I'm with the players on this one. I'll always hate when companies make previously free stuff paid. I'd honestly rather they just get rid of the sprays entirely if that's what they're going to do. It would also take care of that transparency exploit.

Wow.
Can't wait for Valve fanboys to defend this awful shit. Valve really is trying to get on EA's level.

So after this whole weapon skin gambling shit, they decide to put more monetization in it.

...yeah, I'll just stick to Counter-Strike Source, then. Seems like Valve is really out to slowly sabotage themselves.

I'm thinking this is a showing of how much money they were making off of skin gambling. Their money raking took a dive when the skin gambling goes kaput, so they need a new and different money raking system?

CS:GO - otherwise known as 'how hard can we fuck our playerbase over with shitty business practices'.

BiH-Kira:
Wow.
Can't wait for Valve fanboys to defend this awful shit. Valve really is trying to get on EA's level.

Honestly after all the Greenlight bullshit, the constant fucking over of playerbases and developers and their own lackluster production in recent years... starting to think they've surpassed EA in terms of 'shitty companies'. Shit, I don't even think EA's stooped this low, I can't recall them cutting any free features and reintroducing them as paid microtransactions in a later patch.

Wrex Brogan:
CS:GO - otherwise known as 'how hard can we fuck our playerbase over with shitty business practices'.

BiH-Kira:
Wow.

Honestly after all the Greenlight bullshit, the constant fucking over of playerbases and developers and their own lackluster production in recent years... starting to think they've surpassed EA in terms of 'shitty companies'. Shit, I don't even think EA's stooped this low, I can't recall them cutting any free features and reintroducing them as paid microtransactions in a later patch.

Ehh, ea tends to do shit things on purpose, Valve takes a laissez faire attitude which just lets shit things happen. Although this is a real shit thing to do to the game. If they want to pull this kinda thing they need to do it with a new game, not an existing one.

Oh Valve.

Wow. Custom sprays date back to Team Fortress: Classic and original Half-Life DM. For you youngins, that's 1998-99. I still remember seeing tittay's sprayed on a wall, and not being traumatized at all. And of course there were quite a few Gokus as well. And knives with blood dripping off them. I made my own Dead Kennedys symbol for a spray. And all of us were jackasses, but the sprays were free dammit!

But yeah, it's nice that Valve took fan made mods, bought them, and are now charging for functions they had from the start. Kudos Gabe Newell, you really took Darth Vader to heart.

Valve always gotta look over at Blizzard and be like, "I WANT MONEY TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

I can't help but feel the way way about Valve as I do about Youtube at the moment. They're leveraging their position as the only real game in town to become increasingly greedy and self destructive. I used to really respect Valve, but nowadays, it's worrying.

The fuck? I hope someone figures out how to glitch this and abuse the hell out of it, just break it any'ol how! Valve has just used up the last drop of good will I had for them.

Holy shit.

I've seen some shitty business moves in games, but this one has to be the worst one I've encountered. I mean, removing a free feature and making you pay to get it back? I mean...just...damn. And I thought Overwatch's Summer Games fiasco was bad.

And I was actually thinking of getting CS:GO, just to see what the hype is about.

Monetized or not, spays are a bad idea because maps are supposed to be clean. Even cleaner than they are currently. Other than that I don't really care. It's still just a cosmetic item. I don't use weapons skins, I don't use stickers and I won't suddenly start using sprays. People who play the game for cosmetic items instead of core gameplay should perhaps play something else instead. Vote with your wallets.

Weresquirrel:
I can't help but feel the way way about Valve as I do about Youtube at the moment. They're leveraging their position as the only real game in town to become increasingly greedy and self destructive. I used to really respect Valve, but nowadays, it's worrying.

Pretty much this. They've spent years of actual game-making, innovation and (at worst) buying mods and turning them into even more successful full titles. Now they're trying to cash it all in at the "Let's see what scummy shit we can get away with" wheel.

Honestly, I would almost be behind this if the sprays weren't horrifically limited. Now, a really cool spray (and there's some damn good ones made by the Community) is something I'd be willing to spend two bucks on. But what's this? I only get fifty sprays before I have to shell out more? And each spray only lasts a few minutes? Yeah, fuck right off mate.

Hey remember when Portal 2 suddenly had microtransactions but we just sort of shrugged it off?

:|

Seriously? They are joking right?

*sigh*

Guess they need extra cash for those court fees for allowing those gambling sites to run.

Perhaps they saw Overwatch's use of sprays as crate fluff and thought they'd use it as an excuse to do something similar despite already having it as a free service. Bad.

WTF !?!?! Valve?! VALVE !?!??!!? Go home valve you drunk.I am just sad panda sprays have been free since.....ever. just WTF

Fucking hell, be paying for bullets next.

Talk about nickel and diming? This is straight up extortion, $2 to $30 to spray 50 tags? Somethings just need to be left alone and not be made into a way to make more money.

Here I was thinking that over a $1,000 for a skin was insane!

So I've just read the FAQ and would you believe that not one of the questions was along the lines of "What the hell?", "Are you f*cking kidding me?", "What do you take us for?" or "I suppose you'll want the fillings from my damn teeth next?". Methinks the FAQ does not accurately represent genuine customer concerns.

The light of GabeN has faded...
Now there is only darkness.

Just keep on getting worse, game publishers

i maintain that Valve is just as bad a company as EA and Activision, they just get away with it.

Vote with your wallets.

I am sure people will and I fully expect CS:GO to finally drop out of the Steam Top Ten at some time around the next century...

I would get enraged and pissed off but I don't really care enough, besides Valve pissed away what little respect I had for them as a company in the dual effort of being utter wankstains with regards to their Greenlight QC and the intro of paid for Mods.

All I can advise is do what I have now started doing, never buy anything direct from Steam, if you do that then Valve get a portion of the cash, instead use alternatives where you can. Origin, Uplay or GOG. If none of those services offer the game then use a reseller site such as GMG, and then activate the code they provide you, that way Valve have to stump up the server costs of providing the download but get none of your hard earned cash.

Valve: Why make new games if we can squeeze even the last penny out of our old ones and our sales plattform thats really a clusterfuck of unmoderated shovelware and half arsed early access game that go nowhere...

Has Valve done anything new in the last couple of years that didnt turn out to be poorly thought out and half arsed "features" for STEAM? Like greenlight and early access?

Oh.. dont forget paid for mods... cause that was a great idea.

SlumlordThanatos:
I mean, removing a free feature and making you pay to get it back?

Actually... CS:GO never allowed sprays at all. The original CS and Source did, and a few people abused the hell out of it. That probably why Valve removed them from CS:GO BEFORE it was released.

Here's the thing, just like weapons skins they are completely optional. You don't have to use them and there's no real advantage to having them.

J.McMillen:

SlumlordThanatos:
I mean, removing a free feature and making you pay to get it back?

Actually... CS:GO never allowed sprays at all. The original CS and Source did, and a few people abused the hell out of it. That probably why Valve removed them from CS:GO BEFORE it was released.

Here's the thing, just like weapons skins they are completely optional. You don't have to use them and there's no real advantage to having them.

I stand corrected. I never actually played CS:GO; my only real experience with Valve's shooters was with Team Fortress 2, and they had plenty of sprays.

That being said, why make the sprays with limited use? I mean, even Blizzard didn't stoop that low...

SlumlordThanatos:

That being said, why make the sprays with limited use? I mean, even Blizzard didn't stoop that low...

That's actually a good question. If they were worried about players spamming them all over the map they could have limited the number of uses per round/game. It would most likely have resulted in higher prices (initially) since they wouldn't have a limited number of uses. Of course, once people had the ones they wanted the prices would eventually go down as people tried to unload ones they didn't want.

Personally, I'd rather have an unlimited spray that I could buy directly from the artist. Forget drops and market nonsense, just let me pay the creator directly.

J.McMillen:

SlumlordThanatos:

That's actually a good question. If they were worried about players spamming them all over the map they could have limited the number of uses per round/game. It would most likely have resulted in higher prices (initially) since they wouldn't have a limited number of uses. Of course, once people had the ones they wanted the prices would eventually go down as people tried to unload ones they didn't want.

Personally, I'd rather have an unlimited spray that I could buy directly from the artist. Forget drops and market nonsense, just let me pay the creator directly.

Or they could have done it like in all previous source games - one tag per player. If they put up a new one, the old one gets removed.

martyrdrebel27:
i maintain that Valve is just as bad a company as EA and Activision, they just get away with it.

I think they all get away with it.

yet another attempt that will result in backlash. Not as bad as the paid mod bullshit, probably, but still.
Valve, you got to get rid of the greed monkeys trying to copy EA's bullshit. If you need money that bad, charge a 1 cent more per purchase, or even allow people to resell their games and put a handling fee on the sale. But this? This stinks of lazy greed and people will not respond kindly. You guys been flushing your goodwill down the drain in a hurry a lot lately. got to stop that.

Because what CS:GO really needed right now was another controversy.

How does this get approved? How does this get to finalization without someone saying, "Uh, gee... Do you think whatever modest profits we make from this will be worth the ill will it's likely to generate?"

While I've given Valve some slack in the past on the basis that they're a relatively small company in terms of number of employees, and thus don't always have manpower to throw at issues like oversight... The flip side of that is that this kind of money-grubbing is much harder to justify.

Maybe the whole Steam Box/Steam Controller thing is biting into the treasury, but it's unwise to mistreat your customer base in an effort to make up for your own mistakes.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here