Red Dead Redemption 2 Officially Announced

Red Dead Redemption 2 Officially Announced

After several teasers earlier this week, Rockstar has officially confirmed Red Dead Redemption 2.

After a series of teasers, one on Sunday and another on Monday, Rockstar Games officially confirmed the existence of Red Dead Redemption 2 today, along with a release window of Fall 2017 on PS4 and Xbox One.

In a brief statement, Rockstar stated that Red Dead Redemption 2 will be "an epic tale of life in America's unforgiving heartland," adding that the game's "vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience."

"With Red Dead Redemption 2, the team is working hard to push forward our vision for interactive entertainment in a truly living world," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games, in a press release today. "We hope to deliver players an epic experience that builds upon everything we've learned making games."

Not much else is known at the time, but a trailer for the upcoming game is set to arrive on Thursday, October 20, at 11am eastern time.

I knew it.

And oh man I hope the improve a lot on the first game, perticularly end game stuff.

And its most definately gonna be a prequal all about John Marston and his gang.

My body is ready. Oh, 2017...fall?? I have to stay alive till then??

Do you hear that... that's the sound of someone cocking the gun that is going to finally put GTA5 online out of it's misery.

Finally, something good to come out of the dumpster fire of a year that's been 2016.
Now, just to make it to 2017...

Nice! Though I'm a little miffed that it's Red Dead Redemption 2 and not Red Dead 'a different R-word'. Eh, that's marketing I guess.

Laughing Man:
Do you hear that... that's the sound of someone cocking the gun that is going to finally put GTA5 online out of it's misery.

Out of it's misery? GTA:O reportedly has traffic in the region of 8 million players a week, that doesn't sound like a game that is going to be put out to pasture any time soon.

OT: Great to hear that this is on it's way! Shame we have to wait a year, but it the worldbuilding and character writing are anything like RDR it'll be well worth the wait. Colour me excited.

Fuck R* for their inability to release anything on PC. Fuck them, Red Dead Redemption and Shark Cards.

From the looks of that image we're gonna get their take on the Magnificent 7 too. I'm totally down with that.

I am disappoint.

I wanted RDR on PC. Please. It is literally the only reason I havn't gotten rid of my PS3.

I mean, RDR2 is nice 'n all, but I note the conspicuous absence of PC in the list of intended platforms, and I have zero intention of buying a new console.

Definately a prequel. Guy on far left looks like Marston, the one to the right of the middle one looks like Bill Williamson. Javier is probably the one next to him on the right. Guy in the middle is probably a younger Dutch. I wonder who we will play as. I'm thinking maybe Dutch? Would be neat. Or maybe multiple characters again, ala GTAV. They did say that they were keen on that. The guy on the far right looks like a native american.

It would make me a really happy camper if they released a good port of RDR on current gen and PC this year as a preamble for next years madness, as unlikely as it is. From what I've read, the version of the Rage Engine RDR ran on was a cobled together shitshow, and that properly porting the game to other platfroms would require it to be extensively rewritten or ported to Rage 3 before it could be done.

Shame that the PC port is going to be late again. Though, it will be kinda worth it if it's the blowout best version of the game like GTAV was. I doubt it will take 2 years like GTAV either, more like 1 year. GTAV had to be ported to current gen too before a PC port. No such problem for RDR2.

MC1980:

Shame that the PC port is going to be late again. Though, it will be kinda worth it if it's the blowout best version of the game like GTAV was. I doubt it will take 2 years like GTAV either, more like 1 year. GTAV had to be ported to current gen too before a PC port. No such problem for RDR2.

I envy your optimism.

Just make the main characters more interesting than what we saw in GTAV.

Red Dead Revolver was one of my favourite PS2 games, and Redemption is easily in my top 5 games ever and by far my favourite multiplayer experience (although GTA:O is up there too, for that).

What I'm going to do though, is convince myself that it'll never come out on PC. There's clearly no plans for that at release, and this way I won't be disappointed (since I jumped ship to PC ages ago) if it doesn't, and could be pleasantly surprised if it does.

I can't wait to never get to play this because R* refuse to release a PC version!

Guess I'll have to blow the dust off my PS4. Pity RockStar hates PC for some reason...

I suppose it'll be alright if Sony releases their keyboard+mouse controller by then. Having to play a 3d shooter with a gamepad is a deal breaker for me.

Fulbert:
I suppose it'll be alright if Sony releases their keyboard+mouse controller by then. Having to play a 3d shooter with a gamepad is a deal breaker for me.

Still won't fix the guaranteed 30FPS lock due to the PS4 and Xbone's anemic hardware, so that's two big gamebreakers right there.

Red Dead Redemption was a damn good game and I look forward to returning to the Old West. The question is what are they going to do with it? Will it be another story about the twilight of the chaotic freedom that it represented, or will we be going back further? Some people are already theorizing that it might be about when Marston ran with Dutch's gang, and I can see that happening.

We'll have to wait a few days for the trailer it seems.

Diablo1099:
Finally, something good to come out of the dumpster fire of a year that's been 2016.
Now, just to make it to 2017...

dumpster fire? this year has been amazing for game releases.

Which team/group-of-teams is primarily developing it, though? If it's Rockstar North, and not the original San Diego, then colour me already disappointed.

I'd prefer a female lead, though - not only would it make for a change from R*'s male leads, it might actually force them to be more creative with their stories, script, and themes. We've had more than enough male POV's in Westerns to last several lifetimes.

...though apparently not, if those seven blokish blokes being blokey in that image are anything to go on.

Despite certain misgivings I still think the first game's a classic, and gaming's barely scratched the surface with Westerns so the more the better.

MC1980:
Definately a prequel. Guy on far left looks like Marston, the one to the right of the middle one looks like Bill Williamson. Javier is probably the one next to him on the right. Guy in the middle is probably a younger Dutch. I wonder who we will play as. I'm thinking maybe Dutch? Would be neat. Or maybe multiple characters again, ala GTAV. They did say that they were keen on that. The guy on the far right looks like a native american.

Just think about how awkward it would be if it weren't a prequel, considering how the entire theme of RDR was the death of the old west. Although with the time frame we're looking strictly at the Civil War period and events leading to which would attract just the MOST wonderful commentators.

Though a bleeding-Kansas style territorial insurrection could be a ton of drama for a story, if we weren't talking about Rockstar making the script.

Xsjadoblayde:
My body is ready. Oh, 2017...fall?? I have to stay alive till then??

Gotta get some salmon then hibernate until then.

nickpy:
I am disappoint.

I wanted RDR on PC. Please. It is literally the only reason I havn't gotten rid of my PS3.

I mean, RDR2 is nice 'n all, but I note the conspicuous absence of PC in the list of intended platforms, and I have zero intention of buying a new console.

Rockstar obviously wants to sell you the game two times, like they did with GTA5, so obviously they don't want to give you any hope for PC version before you have bought the console one. I'm kinda surprised they didn't announce RDR2 exclusively for the previous gen first.

I wonder if Red from the original Red Dead Revolver will be in it.

Somewhere a Rockstar Dev is having whiskey with a simulacrum of Red "The Original" and it looks like this -
May he have a deep and dreamless slumber.

*grabs the nearest person and screams in their face*

I knew it! Red Dead Redemption 2 is finally coming out!

Well it looks like I finally have a reason to play Redemption. It's only been sitting in my closet for like three years now.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here