Never Stink Again: New Kickstarter Aims to Market Deodorant for Gamers

Never Stink Again: New Kickstarter Aims to Market Deodorant for Gamers

A new Kickstarter campaign is pushing a product for smelly gamers: Gamer Deodorant.

The staff here at The Escapist was caught off guard today by the announcement of a new Kickstarter campaign, but it's not for a nostalgic game, or a new VR headset. Nope, it's crowdfunding support for a brand new deodorant aimed at making gamers smell better.

The deodorant is named "Plus 5," and the initial scent is "Charisma."

What did our staff think of it? Here are some choice quotes:

"Deodorant named after an ability buff to target gamers? Next thing you know they are going to start naming body spray after medieval weapons." - Alexander Macris, Co-Founder & Publisher

"If this is what it takes, this is what we need to do." - Josh Vanderwall, Editor-in-Chief

"I've been trying to come up with something witty to say, but my brain won't stop thinking about the potential DLC." - Liz Finnegan, Senior Editor

"I'm not really interested in +5 to Charisma. It's my dump stat. Why not +5 Strength?" - Ron Whitaker, Senior Editor

Because the people this is aimed towards were just waiting for a whimsical gaming reference on a hygiene product to get themselves to start caring about such things. Right?

...right?

Still, I suppose it's marginally better than Gamer Grub.

But... why?

I actually can't grasp the concept here. It's just regular deodorant with a different name, so it's not even being sold on a unique concept. For all we know they could be filling the tubes with "essence of shit". Since we can't smell it ourselves and deodorant is largely personal preference, this is a terrible thing to kickstart.

I can't believe I wrote that much about a product I essentially already own.

FINALLY!

I've been sitting around smelling like BO for years because no one ever made a deodorant for me.

Although now I'm curious what "Charisma" smells like. I bet it smells like how I think Ryan Reynolds smells (which is a combination of awesome and happiness and drop dead sexy).

Why do I feel like the Big Bang Theory writers thought this up?

PsychicTaco115:

I doubt it. It doesn't come with a laugh track that plays after every line you say.

OT: Use deodorant every day even if I'm not going out. Don't need this crap.

The Enquirer:
But... why?

I actually can't grasp the concept here. It's just regular deodorant with a different name, so it's not even being sold on a unique concept. For all we know they could be filling the tubes with "essence of shit". Since we can't smell it ourselves and deodorant is largely personal preference, this is a terrible thing to kickstart.

I was on a Games Art course for 4 years. The people I've seen on that course just scare me.

Trust me.. Gamers need to take the hint, and wear deodorant.

Kibeth41:

The Enquirer:
But... why?

I was on a Games Art course for 4 years. The people I've seen on that course just scare me.

Trust me.. Gamers need to take the hint, and wear deodorant.

I really don't think anyone would dispute that...but the only people I can think of who will fund this is people like us who go "chyeah some of these people really need it!" and give a penny for giggles

I have known and lived with too many people, that will even go out of their way to buy hygiene products and literally never touch them, to have any sort of remote faith in this. :P

A bit much, no?

While it's nice that gaming is big enough these days that companies would even think of us as a demographic, it's just too cringy sometimes.

I already have a favourite deodorant.
Am confused mostly; Why do hygiene products need kick-starting now? No one can know what it smells like, how effective it is. How tested the formula is at not melting your skin off. I get hygiene products as and when are needed, and there is already far too much choice to even consider potentially funding the mere future possibility of a new gimmicky one. This seems...nonsensical. Like...kickstarting a product for an oversaturated market doesn't seem like it would be successful to me, i thought kickstarter was for funding quite the opposite.
Eh, there's probably enough hipsters out there with enough spare currency for "the lolz" or whatever it is that fuels them. Then again, most my social circle aren't really gamers, so have no idea what the predominant hygiene quality is within the subculture. Maybe this is for the parents to encourage their kids. Haha! Oops.

Why? I have deodorant. This doesn't seem like something anyone needs. Well, everyone needs it, but we already have it. Would gamers really buy this over the readily available deodorant that pretty much every store sells?

PsychicTaco115:

Honestly, this almost sounds like something you would make up. It's just a little short of the absurdity mark, but still.

Wow, I just watched the video. I cringed. It's so bad.

Let's think this through: video gaming, as a hobby, consists mostly of moving your fingers and hands (occasionally arms) and periodically, perhaps leaning forward or backward a bit. This is not something that works up a sweat, and I say that as someone who can dismiss a lowland gorilla by calling it "lightweight". So this product isn't being offered earnestly. That leaves two possibilities: either it's a joke, or it's an insult.

If the former, it's pretty stupid. If the latter, it's also really uncreative.

Eau de Cheetos, anyone?

Dumb marketing aside, if it's a good scent and costs no more than other deodorants i'll give it a try if not, the name/concept isn't gonna sell it to me.

On the one hand, a cheap joke generalizing gamers is just that.

On the other hand, the owner of my Friendly Local Game Store has had to, on occasion, Febreze some of the patrons. Sometimes regularly.

What a bunch on condescending bullshit. Because gamers are all the smelly little fat stereotype who dont know how to take care of them self and they clearly need a "special" gamer deodorant to entice them to have basic hygiene.

As long as they hand out samples at conventions - where it's desperately needed, I'm OK with it.

Gillete works just fine. Shove off, +5.

Mortuorum:
As long as they hand out samples at conventions - where it's desperately needed, I'm OK with it.

This is our plan when funded! Wow these comments have been awesome. First thanks for sharing what we are doing. It is unfortunate that we are seen as a gimmicky product. Axe isn't gimmicky to young men, Old Spice isn't gimmicky toward millennials and Right Guard isn't gimmicky to traditional athletes. Those are their demographics of users. We clearly need to work on branding as our is not to offend people. We hope to be a demographic for the growing, 22 million people who play games like Clash Royal, League of Legends, Dota 2, Overwatch and a host of other eSport games. Games are stressful, extremely stressful especial in the elite levels of competitive game play. Doing a Halo or MTG tournament all day is no easy task. Throughout the day a person sits there sweating and sweating.

It is sad to me that gamers don't see themselves as more than just people who sit in a basement and play video games for 15 hours a day. I have done this and enjoyed every moment of it, but I also love the bigger community that has developed. I love the strategy and team dynamics of League of Legends and watching people who are great at this game pull off group battles with incredible execution.

People smell. We all smell. And yes we should take a shower. Deodorant helps in the in between show to shower.

To respond to the original article. We hope to never have DLCs,IAP may be a much better use of resources (just kidding).
We thought about doing +5 Strength! Charisma seemed to have a nice ring to it AND it does smell like Ryan Renolds, we actually harvested his tears on the set of Deadpool. (this is lies)

Honestly though, I have been shocked that people have thought we are trying to make fun of or force people into buying some JUST BECAUSE they are gamers. We want to build a brand that resonates with a demographic of people. It takes time to do that just like Axe and every other hygiene product has done.

Someone mentioned saturation, At the places where the product is needed the most, LAN companies, Game Stops, Board game stores there isn't a deodorant at these locations, so in our demographic there is no product.

Thank you all for the comments and feedback we truly appreciate the support! And yes we believe our first market is people buying it for their friends or loved ones. You know someone who needs this, help them out :-)

Well, it isn't like existing deodorant commercials are any less ridiculous, is it?

CaitSeith:
Well, it isn't like existing deodorant commercials are any less ridiculous, is it?

Thank you for sharing this!

I get up in the morning. I have a shower. I use a perfectly normal bar of soap and a perfectly normal bottle of shampoo. I brush my teeth with a perfectly normal toothbrush and toothpaste and after drying I use a perfectly normal body spray that I got from the shop before putting my clothes on. Seriously, is there something WRONG with this routine? I need specific body sprays because I play games?

Comes across as incredibly patronising honestly.

CaitSeith:

The way she said "I could show you where the bathroom is"...I don't want to know what she wants to do in the bathroom.

CaitSeith:

Plus Five:

Mortuorum:

This is our plan when funded! Wow these comments have been awesome. First thanks for sharing what we are doing. It is unfortunate that we are seen as a gimmicky product. Axe isn't gimmicky to young men, Old Spice isn't gimmicky toward millennials and Right Guard isn't gimmicky to traditional athletes. Those are their demographics of users. We clearly need to work on branding as our is not to offend people. We hope to be a demographic for the growing, 22 million people who play games like Clash Royal, League of Legends, Dota 2, Overwatch and a host of other eSport games. Games are stressful, extremely stressful especial in the elite levels of competitive game play. Doing a Halo or MTG tournament all day is no easy task. Throughout the day a person sits there sweating and sweating.

It is sad to me that gamers don't see themselves as more than just people who sit in a basement and play video games for 15 hours a day. I have done this and enjoyed every moment of it, but I also love the bigger community that has developed. I love the strategy and team dynamics of League of Legends and watching people who are great at this game pull off group battles with incredible execution.

People smell. We all smell. And yes we should take a shower. Deodorant helps in the in between show to shower.

To respond to the original article. We hope to never have DLCs,IAP may be a much better use of resources (just kidding).
We thought about doing +5 Strength! Charisma seemed to have a nice ring to it AND it does smell like Ryan Renolds, we actually harvested his tears on the set of Deadpool. (this is lies)

Honestly though, I have been shocked that people have thought we are trying to make fun of or force people into buying some JUST BECAUSE they are gamers. We want to build a brand that resonates with a demographic of people. It takes time to do that just like Axe and every other hygiene product has done.

Someone mentioned saturation, At the places where the product is needed the most, LAN companies, Game Stops, Board game stores there isn't a deodorant at these locations, so in our demographic there is no product.

Thank you all for the comments and feedback we truly appreciate the support! And yes we believe our first market is people buying it for their friends or loved ones. You know someone who needs this, help them out :-)

Ok. I was offended at first but I can respect anyone who wants to make a business that lets them be a part of the gaming and convention scene. You have an uphill battle to fight though. We're a sensitive bunch. I agree that I regularly work up a hell of a sweat playing Rock Band so good luck to you and stop making Ryan Renolds cry ;)

The Rogue Wolf:
Because the people this is aimed towards were just waiting for a whimsical gaming reference on a hygiene product to get themselves to start caring about such things. Right?

...right?

Still, I suppose it's marginally better than Gamer Grub.

To be fair the peanut butter jelly flavor one actually tasted a bit like a sandwich and wasn't that bad.

I was expecting to cringe at the video, but it was an intentionally cheesy, tongue-in-cheek joke on how absurd the regular deodorant commercials are, so I'm okay with that.

However, I don't really understand the Kickstarter campaign at all. I've never been one to care about the branding of my products, but I can somewhat understand why someone might care enough to select one product over another; I could see this perhaps being something some gamers might favor if they saw it on the shelf. However, I don't know of anyone who would care enough about the label on the bottle to actually fund a kickstarter. I guess we'll find out.

Will we get a Razer RGB version of it? I might buy it then.

Does it do something normal deodorants do not? Does it benefit gamers in some unique way over existing products?

Why not use existing deodorants? How is this a better product?

I buy them in packs of 5 at a wholesale store. Lasts better part of a year.

What does this product provide that others don't already aside from how it's marketed?

Going by some reactions to this it produces salt and...not much else?

Well, that's...pretty insulting. And they seem to think any of this is somehow better than your own brand too.

Slight nitpick.
I think it probably would have been better to use younger people in the ad. Those people are far too old to just be discovering that not-smelling will increase your chances of... throwing pok?balls at people you want to bang?

But it's pretty funny. In a 'haha get it because gamers smell' kind of way.
But I suppose, some of them do.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.