The Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 Have New Release Dates

The Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 Have New Release Dates

The two upcoming Pixar films have swapped release dates.

Whatever your feelings are concerning The Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 - joy, anger, sadness - the fact of the matter is they're coming - just not at the time and in the order that as previously announced. Today, we learned that the films have flip-flopped their release dates. The Incredibles 2 has been pushed up to June 15, 2018, while the fourth installment in the Toy Story franchise will move back to 2019, showing up in theaters on June 21.

To me, at least, that makes some sense. The Incredibles sequel has been long-anticipated, and getting it earlier will make fans happy. Meanwhile, the Toy Story trilogy was so good that another installment feels unnecessary; if it's going to get one, Pixar and Disney may as well take their time to make sure it's done really, really well.

The next Pixar movie will arrive on June 16, 2017, in the form of Cars 3 - the film whose merchandise alone will pay for two original movies. It will be followed by one of those originals, Coco, on November 22, 2017. And, of course, the next Disney animated film will be Moana, which hits theaters just next month, on the 23rd.

Source: Variety

Ugh, we didn't need a toy story 3 an now we have a 4... Wonder if this will be a rehash also.

Glad for Incredibles 2 but not a new Toy Story

Way to destroy the Finality of Toy Story 3 unless it won't have Woody and Buzz.

And eh Increadibles 2 has the risk of being a straight up Avengers clone and I just know everyone is gonna eat it up.

I dont care about 2018 or 2019. We need to know if we will get to 2017 first...

I don't care, wake me up when Zootopia 2 comes out. Not announced, comes out. Until then we're all just colorless zombies in an endless Silent Hill fog...

The notion of Cars 3 is just weird to me...considering there have been 2 Planes movies and...wait, wasn't there a Boat's movie or a Mater movie outside of the main Cars series? It just feels like there have already been a dozen Cars movies so hearing about Cars 3 feels both redundant and unwanted.

Incredibles 2 sounds fine to me but like someone else said, it might feel like an Avengers rip-off...though to add on to that train of thought, the original Incredibles was the best Fantastic Four movie we've ever had and I am all for another one of those.

Milk that franchise Disney, that's what you're best at.

And eh Increadibles 2 has the risk of being a straight up Avengers clone and I just know everyone is gonna eat it up.

and unless I am wrong it'll be hitting around the same time as the first Infinity War movie.

Why is Toy Story 4 being made? I mean, The Incredibles sequel is something people have been waiting for years and I like the Cars franchise as sort of a guilty pleasure, and a sequel shows they are trying their hardest for the mainstream to like it. But Toy Story is kinda like Harry Potter, you grow up with it and sees it let go, but keeping it around doesn't feel right, especially since Andy is kind of a metaphor for us, he has the memories, but can't hold into the past forever. But hey, that's just me, it's not like I'm saying it's gonna be bad or rooting for it.

Igor-Rowan:
Why is Toy Story 4 being made?

Because John Lassater and his crew thought of an idea so great that it was necessary for him to make Toy Story 4, and those are his words, not mine.

Worgen:
Ugh, we didn't need a toy story 3 an now we have a 4... Wonder if this will be a rehash also.

Toy Story 4, according the John Lassater, is a Love story where the crew tries to Reunite Woody with Bo Peep.

OT: I have faith in Pixar to make Toy Story 4 good, and I'm certain The Incredibles 2 will be good too.

Mr.Mattress:

Igor-Rowan:
Why is Toy Story 4 being made?

Because John Lassater and his crew thought of an idea so great that it was necessary for him to make Toy Story 4, and those are his words, not mine.

OT: I have faith in Pixar to make Toy Story 4 good, and I'm certain The Incredibles 2 will be good too.

That was a rethorical question... I am still in denial ever since they announced and confirmed it.

I'll try to have faith, I guess. I'm up for Incredibles 2, especially if Bird is back on board.

But given the send-off nature of Toy Story 3, 4 is going to have an uphill battle convincing its audience it isn't a gratuitous cash-grab. Maybe Lassater really does have an amazing story that had to be told within the series, but nothing is leaping to mind.

You know, I was sad when Studio Ghibli closed its doors. But there are worse things.

Fox12:
You know, I was sad when Studio Ghibli closed its doors. But there are worse things.

Look at it this way, gives you more time to watch all those other films you've passed on over years to watch the latest Disney/Pixar/Marvel flick.

Transdude1996:

Fox12:

Look at it this way, gives you more time to watch all those other films you've passed on over years to watch the latest Disney/Pixar/Marvel flick.

The thing is, I love Pixar. It was Disney's gold standard after they shut down their 2d animation department. It's just unfortunate to see it get turned into yet another movie mill.

Oh well, they still have Pete Doctor. And I do love Brad Bird.

So, everyone and their mother has commented here, so I'll just give general thoughts:

-Pixar: By the time Toy Story 4 is released, Pixar will have released 21 animated films in cinemas. Of those films, 8 will be prequels or sequels. So, about 38% of Pixar's output will be sequels/prequels. That really isn't too bad a percentage. Sequels are a safe bet for obvious reasons, but I don't know if that percentage can really be called "milking" their franchises.

On the films in question though, I'm not too enthused. Toy Story 4, well, I thought Toy Story 3 ended perfectly, especially if one subscribes to the idea that Andy is the 'true protagonist', and that the trilogy accounts for three phases of life, in relation to how one sees their childhood objects. That said, neither TS1 nor 2 demanded a sequel, but both got them, so hey, a 4th film could turn out well. As for the Incredibles, well, never been that enthused about the original film, so hey, another superhero flick. Yay. :(

Oh, and Cars, well, I quite like the original, if not Cars 2, but Planes isn't Pixar's work, so, yeah. But at the least, I can't begrudge them making a third Cars film. Cars sells. One has to pay the bills.

-Batman: I'd rate the Dark Knight Trilogy as Dark Knight>Batman Begins>Rises, so, um, yeah. First film ain't "meh." ;p

-Zootopia: Eh, well, I don't think it needs a sequel, but hey, best DAC film ever (shut up, it is)? I wouldn't say no to a sequel.

Fox12:
The thing is, I love Pixar. It was Disney's gold standard after they shut down their 2d animation department. It's just unfortunate to see it get turned into yet another movie mill.

I guess it remains to be seen which way these new sequels will be going: equal to or better than the original such as Toy Story, or lesser like Monsters University or Cars 2. If the former, no harm no foul. If the latter, then yeah, that would be a real shame.

I fucking hate the cars franchise. But if the merchandise alone can fund the good movies then I guess it's a necessary evil.

Igor-Rowan:
Why is Toy Story 4 being made? I mean, The Incredibles sequel is something people have been waiting for years and I like the Cars franchise as sort of a guilty pleasure, and a sequel shows they are trying their hardest for the mainstream to like it. But Toy Story is kinda like Harry Potter, you grow up with it and sees it let go, but keeping it around doesn't feel right, especially since Andy is kind of a metaphor for us, he has the memories, but can't hold into the past forever. But hey, that's just me, it's not like I'm saying it's gonna be bad or rooting for it.

Assuming what I read ages ago is still valid, I think Toy Story 4 will address the where about of Woody love interest Bo Peep (I think part of the story is a love story as in how Woody met her).

OT- I think it's a tad too soon to assume the worst out from Pixar?

Ok ok, Cars 2 and Brave suck but they turn around with Inside Out and hey, I even doubted if Finding Dory was justify needed a sequel but out to be an excellent sequel! All I saying is chill out people!

Silentpony:
I don't care, wake me up when Zootopia 2 comes out. Not announced, comes out. Until then we're all just colorless zombies in an endless Silent Hill fog...

Amen brother!

So, I can understand an Incredibles 2, lots of room for stories there in both Sequel and Prequel forms, but why a freaking Toy Story 4!? It's over! It's done! The story has come full circle! There's nothing left to tell! Andy's toys have been passed down!

Freaking A Pixar, I was willing to give you a break with the Cars/Planes movies if only because they make mad bank and let you keep the lights on so you can make the good stuff, but this just ain't right!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here