Mediocre Videogame Movie Director Uwe Boll Retires, Says "The Market is Dead"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mediocre Videogame Movie Director Uwe Boll Retires, Says "The Market is Dead"

uwe-boll-320

Uwe Boll, the much-maligned director of a number of videogame movies, has announced his retirement from film-making.

German film-maker Uwe Boll, the director behind Alone in the Dark, Bloodrayne, House of the Dead, Far Cry, Postal, and In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale, has announced his retirement from film-making. In an interview with Toronto Metro, Boll said that he was retiring because he's no longer making money from films. He said,

"The market is dead. You don't make any money anymore on movies because the DVD and Blu Ray market worldwide has dropped 80 per cent in the last three years. That is the real reason; I just cannot afford to make movies."

Boll said that he has self-financed all of his films in the last 10 years, and that he only made videogame movies to raise money for the films he really wanted to make. "I've been using my money since 2005 and if I hadn't made the stupid video game based movies I would never have amalgamated the capital so I could say, 'Let's make the Darfur movie," he said.

Boll has been a well-known figure in the world of videogames, largely because of his much-maligned movie adaptations. He's also known for challenging his critics to a boxing match, and knocking out all four who showed up. He also made news with a profanity-laced tirade on YouTube when his last Kickstarter campaign failed.

Now that he's retiring, he plans to maintain his film distribution business and Bauhaus, the Vancouver restaurant he owns. Boll says that he hopes that people will go back and watch his films again now that he's done.

"Now when I don't make any more movies maybe they'll find the time to actually watch the movies, starting with Postal in 2005, the movies of the last ten years. They will see they were a lot of very interesting movies and a lot of movies that I think made sense and said a point about things. They deserve to be discussed bigger than they were."

And nothing of value was lost.

Glad he is gone, if he is telling the truth. This is a man who made a movie staring Jason Statham and Ron Perlman utterly boring. That should be impossible, but he found a way.

Good riddance none will miss you.

Well, of course it's dead - you kept beating it to death before it could try to be something in the recent years.

You forgot how he ducked fighting Seanbaby as soon as he found out Seanbaby had actual martial arts experience.

ffronw:
Mediocre Videogame Movie Director Uwe Boll Retires

Wow, mediocre, high praise for the maker of house of the dead.

I'm sure the real reason has nothing to do with him no longer being able to exploit that tax loophole in Germany.

Also, 'mediocre'? Brett Ratner is mediocre. Uwe Boll is... I don't know, what worse than that nasty, liquid secretion at the bottom of trash cans?

Mediocre is a funny word.

I never even heard of this guy before I started watching Nostalgia Critic, and from what I've seen, I think it's amazing he even got anywhere. His library is filled with just less funny rubbish than Dungeons & Dragons.

And there was much rejoicing.

PointlessKnowledge:

Glad he is gone, if he is telling the truth. This is a man who made a movie staring Jason Statham and Ron Perlman utterly boring. That should be impossible, but he found a way.

And that movie is arguably his worse one.

Casual Shinji:

Also, 'mediocre'? Brett Ratner is mediocre. Uwe Boll is... I don't know, what worse than that nasty...

Ukomba:

Mediocre isn't describing him, but his movies.

I'm going to quote My Wife and Kids for this one:
"so long, see ya sucker, bon voyage, arrivederci, later loser, goodbye, good riddance, peace out, let the doorknob hit ya where the good Lord split ya, don't come back around here no more, hasta la vista baby, kick rocks, and get the hell out"

Samtemdo8:

PointlessKnowledge:

A lot of his movies are arguably his worst.

Having "mediocre" in the topic title is a kindness.

Living_Brain:

Casual Shinji:

Also, 'mediocre'? Brett Ratner is mediocre. Uwe Boll is... I don't know, what worse than that nasty...

Ukomba:

Mediocre isn't describing him, but his movies.

If his movies are Mediocre, then he's medeocre. If his movies are bad, he is bad. If they're great, he's great. The director is judged based on the quality of his movies, the two are inextricably linked. The quality of the movie is the criteria you use to judge the director, so I'm not sure what kind of distinction you're trying to make.

MoltenSilver:
You forgot how he ducked fighting Seanbaby as soon as he found out Seanbaby had actual martial arts experience.

I was just about to say, the whole raging boll thing just showed what a coward the guy is ultimately.

Good riddance I say, from what I've read he mainly made movies to exploit that tax loophole in Germany anyway if I'm not mistaken? What a shoddy person regardless though.

Isn't calling his movies "mediocre" being a bit too generous?

Edit: Seems I'm not alone in this notion. :^)

Edit 2: Seriously though, didn't it come out that crapping out these shitty movies was some elaborate scheme to avoid paying taxes or something?

Samtemdo8:

PointlessKnowledge:

hey now that movie at least gave you those two, tell me any redeeming factor hulk had..........such a bad movie

Wow, it took him this long that he doesn't cut it for movie business?

Good.

I normally encourage people to pursue their passions, but every rule must have an exception and he's it. It's not even that he's a bad director. There are plenty of bad directors but he's a kinda shitty person to boot.

RJ 17:

Apparently, he did make one or two somewhat good movies (which, by coincidence, are also not adaptations of games), weighting it out overall? Maybe?

Ukomba:

ffronw:
Mediocre Videogame Movie Director Uwe Boll Retires

Beat me to it.

This is the saddest day in the history of cinema.

Though he's conveniently leaving out the fact that the reason he's "retiring" is due to the fact that he can't get any funding anymore as the German government rolled back its tax incentives for filmmakers. He's basically trying the "you can't fire me I quit!" argument in a halfassed attempt to have the last word. It's only fitting his career go out with not even a whimper.

Casual Shinji:
I'm sure the real reason has nothing to do with him no longer being able to exploit that tax loophole in Germany.

Also, 'mediocre'? Brett Ratner is mediocre. Uwe Boll is... I don't know, what worse than that nasty, liquid secretion at the bottom of trash cans?

Exactly this! Plus I can't believe how many disingenuous things he said! Filthy liar!

Bindal:

RJ 17:

Apparently, he did make one or two somewhat good movies (which, by coincidence, are also not adaptations of games), weighting it out overall? Maybe?

Again, calling those "good movies" is a little generous. Unless we set the bar at "I didn't want to gouge my eyes with a spoon" = "good"

Uwe Boll?
Isn't that that guy that showed up in that LRR skit some years back? He makes movies???

Wasn't there a tax loophole in Germany that got closed up recently? I'm sure those two things are unrelated.

MoltenSilver:

Oh my God, this happened? This brings my life joy.

The problem is not that he was a mediocre videogame movie director.

The problem is that in a genre where, with very few exceptions, "mediocre" was the high end of the quality one could expect, his offerings were decidedly on the low end.

MoltenSilver:

I came here to say this. He was all for fighting Seanbaby because of the mean things he had said about his movies.

When the researchers found out Seanbaby had trained muay thai for years they never got in touch again.

That is cowardice.

Fox12:
Wasn't there a tax loophole in Germany that got closed up recently? I'm sure those two things are unrelated.

He basically said that's why he made the movies, the tax loophole that would make him essentially free money.

Also "The market is dead" was it really ever ALIVE for him?

ffronw:
"Now when I don't make any more movies maybe they'll find the time to actually watch the movies, starting with Postal in 2005, the movies of the last ten years. They will see they were a lot of very interesting movies and a lot of movies that I think made sense and said a point about things. They deserve to be discussed bigger than they were."

They got discussed plenty big, Uwe. And the consensus was that they were big shit. Sir Alec Guinness loathed being in Star Wars and made no secret of it, but he still comported himself like a professional every step of the way to make the project as good as he possibly could no matter his feelings for it- that's why we call him "Sir" and you "asshole".

I had no idea those movies even existed.. Well, I think I faintly remember hearing something about Bloodrayne, but that's it.

BoogieManFL:
I had no idea those movies even existed.. Well, I think I faintly remember hearing something about Bloodrayne, but that's it.

Trust me you aren't missing much.

Scarim Coral:
Wow, it took him this long that he doesn't cut it for movie business?

Actually, he played the movie business very well, you ever see The Producers? Uwe Boll legitimately did a real life version of that, he made millions deliberately making shit films. He shouldn't be retiring he should be in jail.

and it was so that cinema was improved ten fold this day.

also
mediocre?

that would imply that he was capable of making something with some redeeming quality's. Which is simply not true.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here