Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 Isn't Happening, Says Producer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 Isn't Happening, Says Producer

No TMNT 2 Sequel #6

When the sequel to a successful movie only makes about half of what the original made, that can spell doom for a franchise.

The first of the rebooted Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies in 2014 was more than a moderate success. On a reported budget of $125 million, it grossed an international total of $493 million, $191 million of which was made domestically. A sequel was greenlight soon afterward, which only makes sense given the profit that it turned - especially once you figure in merchandising, which for a movie like that is no small amount.

This year's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows didn't share its predecessor's success. On a slightly higher budget of $135 million, it took in $246 million worldwide, and only $82 million domestically. That's a big drop regardless of how you slice the pizza. And, as it turns out, it's a big enough drop to put serious doubts in regard to the future of the franchise.

As producer Andrew Form told Collider, a sequel is probably not going to happen:

I don't think there's Turtles 3, but I wouldn't say there's never going to be another Turtles movie.

Does that mean another reboot is more likely than another sequel? It sure sounds like it.

What are your thoughts, Turtles fans?

Source: Collider

Uwe Boll gives up, and tons of awful sequels that shouldnt happen arent happening.

Its a good thing.

Honestly, the original Turtles movie (with the puppets) was great. The sequels much less great.

Even if the first of these films was great, I can't help but think it would be a hell of a hat trick to keep making more quality films. However, I think the first one did a lot wrong. Now perhaps some people went to see it to see how much of a train wreck it would be. Perhaps they took their kids. Or they just wanted to see the Turtles on the big screen again.

But, considering I don't hear people defending it (even as much as they defend the DC films) I think we're looking at a situation where the first film was bad or subpar and turned movie goers off any future installments. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. I'm just brainstorming potential explanations for why the sequel would do worse. Something tells me future film makers will decide that it was the attempt to appeal to the original fan base.

Oh God, they're gonna' reboot it!

And nothing of value was lost.

Saltyk:
Honestly, the original Turtles movie (with the puppets) was great. The sequels much less great.

I thought the second one was still pretty good. The third one was godawful, though.

Shame as the second one was actually good but the first one is crap. Oh well, movie viewers are stupid anyway.

Czann:
Shame as the second one was actually good but the first one is crap. Oh well, movie viewers are stupid anyway.

Did you know that when you look at earnings for the Bayformers movies, aggregate review score is inversely proportional to revenue?

Saltyk:

Fun fact, the original turtle costumes came from Henson, maker of 95% of all puppets that aren't Hellmouths that channel your darkest fears.

Huh, I guess there is some justice left in this world.

Never saw either, might do if they pop up on Netflix, but I don't trust Bay with anything, haven't seen anything of his since Transformers 2... Never walked out of a film that mad.

marioandsonic:

Saltyk:

I thought the second one was still pretty good. The third one was godawful, though.

I enjoy the second. However, it's not as good as the first. One reason being how they toned down the violence. It's still a fun movie and the "Go ninja, Go" scene is fun regardless of what you think of Vanilla Ice.

The third movie is pretty much just bad.

MCerberus:

Saltyk:

Fun fact, the original turtle costumes came from Henson, maker of 95% of all puppets that aren't Hellmouths that channel your darkest fears.

Yes, I knew that. Thought about mentioning that in my original post but I was on my phone and it's not the best way to comment on a forum like this. I think it's one reason the movie holds up so well. Sure, there are tons of mistakes (like that guy in a hat just sitting in the corner of a room during a scene) but the suits look very real.

Saltyk:

MCerberus:

Yes, I knew that. Thought about mentioning that in my original post but I was on my phone and it's not the best way to comment on a forum like this. I think it's one reason the movie holds up so well. Sure, there are tons of mistakes (like that guy in a hat just sitting in the corner of a room during a scene) but the suits look very real.

In the future though, you should

Facts about Hensen though are like facts about Fred Rogers. You need to share them because 1. there are no sad facts and 2. they have a habit of brightening everyone's day.

All of his sweaters were knitted by his mother. All of them.

To the degree that I could be described as a "Turtles fan" at all, it's from the original comics- the gritty, Miller-Daredevil inspired ones that mostly took the idea of turtle ninjas fairly seriously.

I recognize that far more of the fandom was exposed to TMNT by television and movies that played up the admittedly ridiculous premise far more lightly, and usually in a way that was directed more towards children.

And I have to be okay with that, lest I fall into the ditch of either "things were better when I was a kid", "things were better before you johnny-come-latelies screwed things up", or "the darker and edgier version was vastly superior! NGAH!"

All that said, the Turtles have long been, at best, kind of an "okay, whatever" for a while... And that's when they weren't "Oh, for pity's sake." Neon-colored toy lines; noisy, sub-Saturday-morning-cartoon short-attention-span fests; Michael Bay's latest excuse to slam action figures together. All strung together with antiquated California surfer-dude speak.

It doesn't need to be Frank Miller for there to be character development that can't be summed up in half a line of theme song. It doesn't have to take everything deadly seriously for there to be a sense of actual stakes to the action sequences. And we've seen enough action movies with actual wit and cleverness in the dialogue to realize that we don't have to settle for less.

But as of right now, "TMNT" is pretty much a blazing neon sign that whatever comes attached will settle for less. It's "Why would I bring my A-game to this script? It's a movie about action figures. It's called 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles', 'fercryinoutloud. The people who are going to see it won't know the difference anyway."

They can sequel it, reboot it, relaunch it, or sit on it for a decade and see if the groundhog casts a shadow. Until they're something attached to the name that gives me a reason to care, it's in my best interests to avoid whatever shows up like the plague.

The second one was so good, though. Better than Civil War, Xmen, etc.

2016 has had horrible comic book movies so far.

Except Deadpool.

Silentpony:

Once you've been directed by one of Michael Bay's toadies you've already hit rock bottom. Bury it, burn it, reboot it, it can't get much worse.

Veldie:
And nothing of value was lost.

I was going to typed that.

OT- Oh well, it look like Shredder will stayed in the freezer for a long time now in the film.

What a tragic blow for the medium. How will it ever recov...

Crap, my sarcasm generator just melted.

chozo_hybrid:
Never saw either, might do if they pop up on Netflix, but I don't trust Bay with anything, haven't seen anything of his since Transformers 2... Never walked out of a film that mad.

Bay was the producer (basically they wanted a known name for the advertising) not the director of either Turtles film.

MCerberus:

Czann:

Did you know that when you look at earnings for the Bayformers movies, aggregate review score is inversely proportional to revenue?

That actually says a lot about the quality of movies these days...

American Fox:
The second one was so good, though. Better than [b]Civil War[b], Xmen, etc.

2016 has had horrible comic book movies so far.

Except Deadpool.

Are you kidding me?!?! Civil War was great!

No scene in Out of the Shadows can beat the scene in Civil War at the airport, where team cap and iron man fight it out. It had a lot more humour and characterization and overall was just a fun film. Sure the villain wasn't spectacular and a few scenes probably could of been taken out (Vision cooking...The fuck?) But to be worse than TMNT? Hell no. Not by a long shot, It's miles ahead.

Silentpony:

Now you know how I feel if this happens to the DC movies.

Not another reboot Origin movie :P

Fox12:

Silentpony:

Once you've been directed by one of Michael Bay's toadies you've already hit rock bottom. Bury it, burn it, reboot it, it can't get much worse.

Spiderman says hello.

Samtemdo8:

Fox12:

Silentpony:

Spiderman says hello.

Explain

Buizel91:

No scene in Out of the Shadows can beat the scene in Civil War at the airport, where team cap and iron man fight it out.

"A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

That's my take on the airport scene. It's also my take on pretty much all the comic book movies I've seen this year, ranging from the dismal (Batman v Superman) to the obnoxious (Deadpool), to the passable (Suicide Squad, Civil War).

What baffles me is that it's the scene that keeps being brought up, when the final fight between Tony and Steve is far more emotionally poignent, whereas in comparison, the airport scene is analogous to a kid getting out his action figures and having them fight for reasons of "it's kewl!"

Czann:

Personally, I find the average quality of (non-comic) movies these days to be pretty good. Transformers continues to bring in the cash, but it's not the only lacklustre movie franchise to do so. Heck, the MCU is still in business, and while the average MCU film is way, WAY better than the average Bayformers entry, despite giving it more chances than I care for, I've rarely been impressed. Transformers is an easy sell because you know exactly what you're getting when you go into it.

Hawki:

Buizel91:

No scene in Out of the Shadows can beat the scene in Civil War at the airport, where team cap and iron man fight it out.

"A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

That's my take on the airport scene. It's also my take on pretty much all the comic book movies I've seen this year, ranging from the dismal (Batman v Superman) to the obnoxious (Deadpool), to the passable (Suicide Squad, Civil War).

What baffles me is that it's the scene that keeps being brought up, when the final fight between Tony and Steve is far more emotionally poignent, whereas in comparison, the airport scene is analogous to a kid getting out his action figures and having them fight for reasons of "it's kewl!"

Czann:

Personally, I find the average quality of (non-comic) movies these days to be pretty good. Transformers continues to bring in the cash, but it's not the only lacklustre movie franchise to do so. Heck, the MCU is still in business, and while the average MCU film is way, WAY better than the average Bayformers entry, despite giving it more chances than I care for, I've rarely been impressed. Transformers is an easy sell because you know exactly what you're getting when you go into it.

The airport scene is the origin of comics in film form. Ya know, when comics were nothing more than Superman and Batman going "POW" "BAM" "BIFF"!

Yeah yeah, the final fight was emotional, but it didnt have over 10 Comic characters going at it non-stop. Plus anyone can potentially enjoy the Airport scene, even if you dont care specifically about the characters. The final fight requires you caring about Captain America and Iron Man. Praising one scene doesnt deny the value of the other. Comic book movies are at their core action movies anyways.

Fox12:

Samtemdo8:

Fox12:

Spiderman says hello.

Explain

Responding to your "It can't get much worse"

Spiderman went from this:

To this:

And DON'T bring up Spiderman in Civil War it was a complete glorifyed cameo that one, wait till Marvel actually makes and release his own movie.

"But Marvel never made a bad movie" Well they have a lot to live up to make their Spiderman topple the first Raimi Spiderman film. And I just know they are gonna forget the "with great power comes responsibility" aspect of Spiderman and just make Spiderman the Flash/Deadpool of the Avengers with funny light hearted adventures. A Guardians of the Galaxy clone.

Samtemdo8:

Fox12:

Samtemdo8:

Spiderman says hello.

Explain

Responding to your "It can't get much worse"

Spiderman went from this:

To this:

And DON'T bring up Spiderman in Civil War it was a complete glorifyed cameo that one, wait till Marvel actually makes and release his own movie.

"But Marvel never made a bad movie" Well they have a lot to live up to make their Spiderman topple the first Raimi Spiderman film. And I just know they are gonna forget the "with great power comes responsibility" aspect of Spiderman and just make Spiderman the Flash/Deadpool of the Avengers with funny light hearted adventures. A Guardians of the Galaxy clone.

Ah, I see. I was confused for a moment. I thought you were comparing sam raimi to michael bay.

I loved the original as it basically followed the Shredder storyline from the Eastman and Laird comics. Granted it cut a LOT of the first arc like switching April's meeting with the turtles, cutting a huge piece where Splinter is thought dead a lot of adventure, mashing up Shredder and the Foot's first appearance and the burning of April's home/Antique store.
Still love that Eastman and Laird also managed to pay homage to Daredevil by making his origin story partly responsible for the turtle's creation.

Silentpony:

Y'know, at this point I expect them to start rebooting franchises IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MOVIE.

Saelune:
Plus anyone can potentially enjoy the Airport scene, even if you dont care specifically about the characters. The final fight requires you caring about Captain America and Iron Man. Praising one scene doesnt deny the value of the other. Comic book movies are at their core action movies anyways.

-The ability to appreciate action bereft of plot isn't really an endorsement. Usually action bereft of emotional investment is a point of contention.

-"Comic book movies are at their core action movies anyway." Except, y'know, every film based on a comic book that isn't centered around action (Peanuts, Garfield, When the Wind Blows, etc.)

Hawki:

Saelune:
Plus anyone can potentially enjoy the Airport scene, even if you dont care specifically about the characters. The final fight requires you caring about Captain America and Iron Man. Praising one scene doesnt deny the value of the other. Comic book movies are at their core action movies anyways.

-The ability to appreciate action bereft of plot isn't really an endorsement. Usually action bereft of emotional investment is a point of contention.

-"Comic book movies are at their core action movies anyway." Except, y'know, every film based on a comic book that isn't centered around action (Peanuts, Garfield, When the Wind Blows, etc.)

I guess its good I said comic book and not comic strip, and that Superman predates all of those anyways, by decades.

And is it so wrong to just enjoy an awesome action scene? Seriously, if I could show that scene to little kid me, their head would explode. Not like MCU doesnt have deeper plot anyways. (Though Netflix does it more than the movies, but still)

Saelune:
I guess its good I said comic book and not comic strip,

We really diving into semantics? One gets published on a weekly basis, the other on a monthly? Both are compiled into comic books at the end of the day.

Even then, When the Wind Blows was never a strip.

Saelune:
and that Superman predates all of those anyways, by decades.

And Little Nemo/Ginger Meggs, which also received film adaptations, which aren't centered around action, pre-date Superman by decades. What's your point?

Saelune:
And is it so wrong to just enjoy an awesome action scene?

No.

Hawki:

Saelune:
I guess its good I said comic book and not comic strip,

We really diving into semantics? One gets published on a weekly basis, the other on a monthly? Both are compiled into comic books at the end of the day.

Even then, When the Wind Blows was never a strip.

Saelune:
and that Superman predates all of those anyways, by decades.

And Little Nemo/Ginger Meggs, which also received film adaptations, which aren't centered around action, pre-date Superman by decades. What's your point?

Saelune:
And is it so wrong to just enjoy an awesome action scene?

No.

Then dont bring up Comic Strips like Garfield as a counter to why Batman and The Avengers might be action films. Comic books, superhero comic books are action oriented. So we get action oriented movies. If you are going to call me out on semantics, dont be surprised if I retaliate with the same.

Saelune:
Then dont bring up Comic Strips like Garfield as a counter to why Batman and The Avengers might be action films. Comic books, superhero comic books are action oriented. So we get action oriented movies. If you are going to call me out on semantics, dont be surprised if I retaliate with the same.

You brought up semantics by trying to claim a distinction that barely exists. I give examples of comics that aren't based around action, you claim that by claiming that they're "comic strips, not comic books," which, as I've pointed out, is an academic distinction.

What ISN'T an academic distinction is the distinction between Comic books and superhero comic books. The latter is an example of the former, the former isn't necessarily synonymous with the latter, hence why yes, you can get comic book films that don't revolve around action.

Hawki:

Saelune:

You brought up semantics by trying to claim a distinction that barely exists. I give examples of comics that aren't based around action, you claim that by claiming that they're "comic strips, not comic books," which, as I've pointed out, is an academic distinction.

What ISN'T an academic distinction is the distinction between Comic books and superhero comic books. The latter is an example of the former, the former isn't necessarily synonymous with the latter, hence why yes, you can get comic book films that don't revolve around action.

Im in too many more severe arguments that have gotten out of hand to literally be arguing about semantics when the topic was Super Hero Action movies.

If you dont like MCU, then dont. Me? Im having a blast, and I dont see why everyone else has to rain on that parade.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.