Minecraft - The Movie Might Star Steve Carell

Minecraft - The Movie Might Star Steve Carell

Steve Carell Minecraft Movie

Steve Carell is in talks to star in the Minecraft movie.

Because Hollywood still wants to try to make a good movie based on a video game - fingers crossed for December's Assassin's Creed - a whole host of properties are currently in development. One of those is a movie based on Minecraft, the video game equivalent of playing with LEGO bricks.

That might not sound like it lends itself well to a film, but it does allow the filmmakers to get creative with the story and essentially use the Minecraft world and idea and create a feature film around that. After all, when LEGO did that, it turned out really well. Reportedly, the first version of the script was Goonies-like, but Minecraft developer Mojang nixed that idea.

At present, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia creator Rob McElhenney is set to direct the movie, which will be based on a script written by him and Jason Fuchs. We have also learned that Steve Carell is in talks to play the lead - although he is not yet confirmed to do so. Minecraft: The Movie is scheduled to be released on May 24, 2019, and will be shown in both 3D and IMAX, because gimmicks are cool.

Source: Variety

Jason Fuchs...

That last name sounds familiar.

RaikuFA:
Jason Fuchs...

Is it the long-lost brother of Fred??

I mean, if TellTale can make an episodic story out of Minecraft, anything's possible

I honestly can't see this working, whatever was the central point Minecraft had to get across was done already by the Lego(tm) movie. I mean, the kids will buy anything, I'm worried about the parents that will have to tag along.

Oh good, now I have more reason to not see this.

Aw can't they just make a film of the Fallen Kingdom series? That was a wonderful Minecraft storyline that really expressed the world's potential.. plus they just finished it, too. I think.

Well no truth be I guess it'd only spoil it to base on it thus but still something in a similar vein'd be wonderful >.>

I was skeptical about the Lego movie to the point of refusing to see it. Eventually I did though, and love the thing. Perfection. I still think this is a cash-in on the name only, and I'll be amazed if they can do something great with it. They should've just had Telltale games do Minecraft Storymode as a movie.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here