More Ghostbusters Films on the Way

Pages 1 2 NEXT

More Ghostbusters Films on the Way

More Ghostbusters Movies Coming News

Time to sharpen those pitchforks. Again.

The controversy surrounding 2016's Ghostbusters may or may not have had much of an impact on its overall box office take, but the film underperformed regardless of the way that you slice it. Domestically, it took in just $128 million, and internationally it made even less, grossing $101 million. On a budget of $144 million, and the way that the total take is divided up, it's all but a certainty that the film lost Sony some money.

With disappointing numbers at the box office, talk of a sequel has gone from "definitely happening" to "we'll see, but it's not likely." However, producer Ivan Reitman - who directed the first two films, and produced the newest - recently said that "there's going to be many other Ghostbusters movies; they're just in development right now." However, that does not necessarily mean that there's going to be a sequel to the Paul Feig-directed movie.

So, it looks like the studio is committed to turning Ghostbusters into an even bigger franchise than it already is. It remains to be seen how fans take the news, but you can bet Sony will be listening more closely - for better or worse - to their demands in future outings.

Source: Comicbook.com

Neat. As long as they remember they're making comedies and budget accordingly, they'll do fine.

I thought we'd seen the end of this for a while. Here's hoping they didn't learn all the wrong lessons from this fiasco. God forbid they double down. To be frank, I don't think Hollywood knows how to make films like ghostbusters anymore.

Please...just stop.

The first movie was lightning in a bottle, it's never going to happen again. The 2nd movie proved this point, and it had everyone from the first movie in it. The third movie should have served as reconfirmation: the world does not need more Ghostbusters movies...

Bloody hell, they've not learnt a thing, have they. =/

RJ 17:
Please...just stop.

The first movie was lightning in a bottle, it's never going to happen again. The 2nd movie proved this point, and it had everyone from the first movie in it. The third movie should have served as reconfirmation: the world does not need more Ghostbusters movies...

It always really bothered me that Dan Akroyd was so set on turning this thing into some kind of massive franchise. I think Bill Murray understood that the story had already peaked, and that it would be best to just leave it alone.

So, they're not ready to give up the ghost yet?

Well, as someone who enjoyed the third film, that's a good thing IMO.

If they use a mixed main cast this time, I might actually bother to go see it. And if it doesn't look like a cheap knock-off again.

they will pull a Hulk then ? just forgot about that ghostbuster movie in 2016, the real canon movie is this new one ?

just watched this abomination on sunday and i only laughed once. just ONCE. good thing i have rented this turd otherwise i would jump off a cliff i have given them my money for a full priced dvd.

looks like they havent learned their lesson. just if it will have the female cast or the original cast is questioning. since the original are really old and one of them even dead, i can not see this going well. unless they have learned their lesson (which i highly doubt) then i may laugh twice in the new one.

Didn't they already learn this loop with Amazing Spider Man? Not-terrible but not-great reboot of a popular IP. Then trying to force it into a franchise despite that. With no Marvel-expy waiting in the wings to partner up and bail them out of it.

You can't replicate the comic book universes with random IPs. You're trying to rush out a universe while Marvel (and DC, at least on paper) have hundreds of stories and characters developed by dozens (if not hundreds) of writers over the span of 50+ years.

How long are they going to pillage this dead body?

The only way this could even begin to sound good is if they dump the previous director and PR department.

They should probably also look in to hiring people who can actually write comedy.

Seth Carter:
Didn't they already learn this loop with Amazing Spider Man? Not-terrible but not-great reboot of a popular IP. Then trying to force it into a franchise despite that. With no Marvel-expy waiting in the wings to partner up and bail them out of it.

You can't replicate the comic book universes with random IPs. You're trying to rush out a universe while Marvel (and DC, at least on paper) have hundreds of stories and characters developed by dozens (if not hundreds) of writers over the span of 50+ years.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I can't say the movie really suffers from trying to set up a franchise. It's left open ended, in the knowledge that the Ghostbusters will continue to operate, but there's no dangling plot hooks left in the film. It's not like Amazing Spider-Man, where the plot lurches from one plot point to the other with little regard for story structure, nor does it end on sequel bait like some other franchise films (off the top of my head, Independence Day: Resurgence, and Warcraft are two films released this year which are guilty of this).

Also the fact that Ghostbusters is technically already a franchise. Movies, cartoons, games, comics, etc.

I can see the internet taking this one quote reasonably and calmly in stride.

Fox12:
To be frank, I don't think Hollywood knows how to make films like ghostbusters anymore.

They do, they're just not called Ghostbusters. They're called Krampus and Shaun of the Dead.

Casual Shinji:

Fox12:
To be frank, I don't think Hollywood knows how to make films like ghostbusters anymore.

They do, they're just not called Ghostbusters. They're called Krampus and Shaun of the Dead.

I'm going to be 'that guy' and point out Shaun of the Dead is a British-helmed film made in Britain by British production companies (and one French one).

Chimpzy:
I'm going to be 'that guy' and point out Shaun of the Dead is a British-helmed film made in Britain by British production companies (and one French one).

Yeah, I know, but it's still a proper "Hollywood" movie nonetheless.

I mean, I don't think Termoniator 2 is technically Hollywood either.

Times like this I am glad I never got into Ghostbusters.

Besides Luigi's Mansion > Ghostbusters.

Eh, this and anything else that could possibly be called a franchise.

I understand Paul Feig and co. got a really raw deal and unwarranted backlash for just making this film, but the fact of the matter is that operating at a $70 Million loss will not woo investors into making a sequel.

I understand genre films back then such as the original Ghostbusters and even Burton's Batman operated at a loss, but this is not the 1980's. Films are getting more expensive, audiences are more finicky and investors are more financially conscious. In an age of possible economic collapse such as now, making a box office dud isn't viable for any studio, regardless of how forward-looking or progressive they are.

As much as I would like to see more 'girl power' up on the screen, losing money is no way to do it. I'm sorry, Paul Feig, if you keep losing money for the studio, it will help nobody, especially not little girls.

So, sure. Sony will keep making Ghostbusters movies; they just won't make them with Paul Feig.

The only good thing about the IP was the animated series for me. And even then, I haven't gone back and watched more than a few of them in decades. The toys were on point though.

I could barely stand to watch CinemaSins's vid about the most recent one, let alone actually watch that trash. But good for them doubling down on a losing idea.

As long as the newer movies are better then the last one I'm okay with it, They got some funny people let them do there thing.

RJ 17:
Please...just stop.

I got ninja'ed word for word. I don't know what to add to it. The last Ghostbusters didn't fail, because of the all-female leads. It's because they didn't have a story to tell in the Ghostbusters' universe. Let's be honest. Ghostbusters doesn't have stories to tell to warrant a movie series.

Here's an idea, new team which is a new branch of ghostbusters since they are now required nationwide (there franchise established different movies for each branch) for the local area, mixed gender cast, DON'T make a big deal about their genders/race/sexuality since all of that should be secondary to their job as ghostbusters, and don't make a the supporting cast idiots to try and make the main cast look better.

That last point anyone else get annoyed when films/tv shows try to show off girl power and just make the men a bunch of retarded morons (not to say the inverse isn't true either), I find it's comparable to people who think the only way to make themselves look good is to put down others.

How about a "Lockwood and Co." movie instead? (YA series by Jonathon Stroud about teenagers who are, in effect, ghost busters.)

Or, how about doing a couple of smaller films with practical effects on half the budget?

Or giving ten new UCLA film-school grads 10 million a piece and seeing if two or three can make your money back?

So long as it's not more of the same drek helmed by Feig?

Eh, sure, why not? Not like you can unrape the franchise at this point. Either it'll get messier or they'll manage to pull it out.

That last bit was actually not meant to go so well with the previous bit. But I'm keeping it.

Callate:
How about a "Lockwood and Co." movie instead? (YA series by Jonathon Stroud about teenagers who are, in effect, ghost busters.)

Or, how about doing a couple of smaller films with practical effects on half the budget?

Or giving ten new UCLA film-school grads 10 million a piece and seeing if two or three can make your money back?

That'd be vaguely sensible and, frankly, we just can't have that now can we?

"Billion or Bust" is Hollywood's motto nowadays, I guess.

I tried to remian neutral about this, but the president of Sony (or someone related to this film) said they were actively antagonizing people by making decisions they know people would hate. I give Hollywood a lot of flack for rebooting everything they can find, like Stargate (WHYYYYYYY?!), but Ghostbusters is the one I am actively rooting against any form of success.

Fox12:

RJ 17:
Please...just stop.

It always really bothered me that Dan Akroyd was so set on turning this thing into some kind of massive franchise. I think Bill Murray understood that the story had already peaked, and that it would be best to just leave it alone.

You forgot that this is America. Only we could do cartoon adaptions of PG/PG-13/R-Rated movies or comics meant for adults. Rambo, Robocop, Toxic Avenger, Ace Ventura, and TMNT: all of them got adaptions. Now those adaptions had varying degrees of success. The Ninja Turtles have 3 TV adaptions and 6 movies. These movies became popular with kids, so of course it would "work"!

Remember when The Mask was supposed to have a movie franchise? We got a sequel that was a decade late and sucked so much that it screwed itself out of existence. The cartoon was better than that and lasted for 50+ episodes. Ace Ventura, similar scenario. Two good movies with another sequel a decade later having nothing to do with the title character and made for a quick buck. The cartoon adaption surpassed the very late sequel. It wast the same with Ghostbusters too (Noticing a pattern?). Though the Real and Extreme Ghostbusters are miles high better than what the new movie turned out. And better female characters too.

Me, I will continue to ignore the new movies and pretend they don't exists. That said, I don't condone the shady shit that was going on with both sides. Neither the crap that hack director or Sony pulled, nor the harassment of sexism and racism on twitter either. Which is why I mostly despite the accursed site so much.

Look at it this way: Even if you think the 2016 Ghostbusters is the worst crime against your childhood memories imaginable, at least you're able to go buy the theatrical release of the originals in a modern format from basically any big box store.

Meanwhile, I don't even know if there are any theatrical releases of Star Wars in DVD I can get, let alone Blu-Ray. It's all the special edition junk. That's the kick in the nads that's missing.

RJ 17:
Please...just stop.

The first movie was lightning in a bottle, it's never going to happen again. The 2nd movie proved this point, and it had everyone from the first movie in it. The third movie should have served as reconfirmation: the world does need more good Ghostbusters movies...

Never read any of the IDW comics, have ya, lad? Also, maybe it doesn't but there IS potential for it to be something interesting. The reboot isn't what most of us wanted, so...why not take that and make something with it? Draw inspiration from what supernatural things are popular nowadays. Take inspiration from the Paranormal Activity movies, take a look at Creepy Pasta, they have at a few scary creatures. While we're at it, why not show the reaction of other faiths at the discovery that spirits exist? THAT'S something different. This can work, it just...needs...a little...effort.

CoCage:

Fox12:

RJ 17:
Please...just stop.

You forgot that this is America. Only we could do cartoon adaptions of PG/PG-13/R-Rated movies or comics meant for adults. Rambo, Robocop, Toxic Avenger, Ace Ventura, and TMNT: all of them got adaptions. Now those adaptions had varying degrees of success. The Ninja Turtles have 3 TV adaptions and 6 movies. These movies became popular with kids, so of course it would "work"!

Remember when The Mask was supposed to have a movie franchise? We got a sequel that was a decade late and sucked so much that it screwed itself out of existence. The cartoon was better than that and lasted for 50+ episodes. Ace Ventura, similar scenario. Two good movies with another sequel a decade later having nothing to do with the title character and made for a quick buck. The cartoon adaption surpassed the very late sequel. It wast the same with Ghostbusters too (Noticing a pattern?). Though the Real and Extreme Ghostbusters are miles high better than what the new movie turned out. And better female characters too.

Me, I will continue to ignore the new movies and pretend they don't exists. That said, I don't condone the shady shit that was going on with both sides. Neither the crap that hack director or Sony pulled, nor the harassment of sexism and racism on twitter either. Which is why I mostly despite the accursed site so much.

What are your thoughts on the IDW comic series? (Which is currently ongoing again as Ghostbusters International.)

ArcaneGamer:

RJ 17:
Please...just stop.

Never read any of the IDW comics, have ya, lad? Also, maybe it doesn't but there IS potential for it to be something interesting. The reboot isn't what most of us wanted, so...why not take that and make something with it? Draw inspiration from what supernatural things are popular nowadays. Take inspiration from the Paranormal Activity movies, take a look at Creepy Pasta, they have at a few scary creatures. While we're at it, why not show the reaction of other faiths at the discovery that spirits exist? THAT'S something different. This can work, it just...needs...a little...effort.

Firstly: please refrain from editing my posts to contain factual inaccuracies.

Secondly: if you want to keep enjoying your comic book spin-off of Ghostbusters then have at. My comment was made regarding movies...not comics. :^)

Thirdly: if you're placing your hope on Hollywood putting effort into a reboot/remake/rehash then your hope is misplaced. This movie was made to cash in on nostalgia, not effort.

ArcaneGamer:
What are your thoughts on the IDW comic series? (Which is currently ongoing again as Ghostbusters International.)

I never read comics, so I can't comment. From I what I heard, they're good.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here