Rogue One Will Never Get a Sequel

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rogue One Will Never Get a Sequel

rogue-one-social

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy says that no matter how well Rogue One performs, it will not get a sequel.

Rogue One, the upcoming Star Wars spin off starring Felicity Jones, will not be getting a sequel no matter how well it performs, stresses Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy.

Kennedy made it clear in the latest issue of Empire magazine that the film will strictly be stand-alone, and the studio has no plans for a follow up. Lucasfilm chief creative officer John Knoll and director Gareth Edwards echoed her sentiment, with Edwards going so far to say that Rogue One already has a sequel: 1977's Star Wars: A New Hope.

So, for those of you worried that each of these Star Wars spin offs was going to spin off into a full trilogy, fret not.

For the uninitiated, Rogue One tells the story of the daring rebel spies who stole the plans to the Empire's infamous Death Star, setting the events of A New Hope into motion.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story opens in theaters on December 16.

Source: IGN

Did they say no prequel, reboot or rehash as well? And is there a reason to believe them anyway?

Thaluikhain:
Did they say no prequel, reboot or rehash as well? And is there a reason to believe them anyway?

Why would they ever need to reboot it? Rebooting it would mean rebooting the whole bloody universe, and at that point a Rogue One reboot will be the last thing on our minds.

Anyway, this was pretty obvious. We already know that almost half the team is going to die, and Star Wars has way more lucrative storylines than Rogue One. Rogue One is just Disney testing the waters. Only if Rogue One breaks a billion would I see a sequel coming.

Yeah, because when has disney ever forced out sequals for something that absolutely doesn't need one? This is where I'd list all of the times they've done that, but you as the reader have already thought of your preferred example to prove my point, so I'll just be over here eating salt one grain at a time.

So what you're saying is, the main protagonist and the close supporting cast are all going to die. Considering this story takes place before New Hope that isn't much of a stretch. I hope the new Star Wars movies that happen between the main numbered ones are just one-offs. We don't need a Boba Fett or Kenobi or Solo trilogy.

Shoggoth2588:
So what you're saying is, the main protagonist and the close supporting cast are all going to die.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking as well. We know the plans for the Death Star weren't something the Rebellion came by easily. We know this amazing covert operative didn't turn up later. Two and two together, and...?

I could have sworn that it was announced a while-back that all the spin-off movies are going to be stand-alone projects...was there any reason to expect this movie to get a sequel? It's meant to bridge the gap between III and IV...what, were people thinking they were gonna stuff an entire trilogy in there?

........I say this in a world where The Hobbit was stretched into 3 movies. >.>

It has a sequel...that was made in the 70's >~>

The curse of Video Game movies. e_e

Knowing Disney, I'm sure they'll find a way to make an extra crappy sequel some day. Rogue 2: Jan's New Groove.

Saelune:

Logic has no place here!

I...well, yeah?

Kind of thought this was a foregone conclusion. These are effectively one-shots.

Saelune:

That makes it a prequel.

Either way though, who here didn't think most/all of the team was doing to be offed?

Shoggoth2588:
So what you're saying is, the main protagonist and the close supporting cast are all going to die. Considering this story takes place before New Hope that isn't much of a stretch. I hope the new Star Wars movies that happen between the main numbered ones are just one-offs. We don't need a Boba Fett or Kenobi or Solo trilogy.

I agree, I'd like to see them as one-offs. But that doesn't mean for sure these "rogues" will be killed off, they in theory could show up in the main series or a further on one-off at some point. Or maybe already have been shown in a Star Wars movie.

Lucas liked his merchandising, and Disney isn't any different. And action figures of dead characters might not sell as well with the kids.

Actually I was pretty sure they would all die at the end of Rogue One. Then I watched Matpat's latest Film Theory. He theorizes they all live to sell the merch... and he has me convinced.

It's a commando raid movie. If the main cast doesn't take 100% casualties with 80% KiA, I'll be disappointed.

Well it does sort of lead into A New Hope. That said, self contained stories are good. It doesn't always have to spawn multiple movies. Closure!

That's good news, though it will probably lead to the main characters cameo-ing in the main series.

They'll just bring out new digitally remastered version of the original movies with the characters from Rouge One added in to background scenes in the cantina and stuff.

Kyrian007:

Actually I was pretty sure they would all die at the end of Rogue One. Then I watched Matpat's latest Film Theory. He theorizes they all live to sell the merch... and he has me convinced.

I'm not sure if I should bother putting this in spoilers, because pretty much all of us either don't care or are expecting it, but it is already confirmed that at least one member of the team will die.

Well, it wont get a sequel in terms of direct story progression, because as i understand it Rouge One is to be an open and closed book that stands as an accessory to the main series of films.

But to suggest that at least one of the characters might not turn up somewhere else? Well maybe if they arent going to produce more side stories set suring the Imperial era.

Shoggoth2588:

A lot of Bothans died getting that information

I wouldn't mind more standalone films from star wars, honestly. I'm already more interested then I am in the next trilogy film. This looks like what Force Awakens should have been.

Shoggoth2588:

Or it simply means it's a self-contained story. You don't have to kill everyone off to do that.

I'd actually be all for a Han Solo trilogy...if it was an adaptation of the Brian Daley novels. That's never going to happen, so...yeah, I agree.

God help us if Boba Fett gets his own trilogy. Freakin' Mandaboos...

Neverhoodian:

Shoggoth2588:

Or it simply means it's a self-contained story. You don't have to kill everyone off to do that.

I'd actually be all for a Han Solo trilogy...if it was an adaptation of the Brian Daley novels. That's never going to happen, so...yeah, I agree.

Which one was that again? The Han Solo series I mean. Is that the one with Bria Tharen and stuff? I can't remember if I finished it.

And heh, I was once a Mandaboo. After Karen Traviss' latest works, I realized how ridiculous all that shit was. I still think they're cool, but I hope Disney and Rebels make the Mandos a little less Mary Sue-y.

Bob_McMillan:

Neverhoodian:

Shoggoth2588:

Which one was that again? The Han Solo series I mean. Is that the one with Bria Tharen and stuff? I can't remember if I finished it.

And heh, I was once a Mandaboo. After Karen Traviss' latest works, I realized how ridiculous all that shit was. I still think they're cool, but I hope Disney and Rebels make the Mandos a little less Mary Sue-y.

No, the Daley Solo trilogy was the one that started with 1979's "Han Solo at Stars End" The Han Solo series with Bria Tharen was written in 97. And yeah I think that later series made Daley's story non-canon... and then itself was made non-canon when Disney axed the EU. So I doubt either will make it into Star Wars going forward. After all, many Bothans died to get that death star information to the Rebels. Yet I have seen only humans in Rogue One trailers so far. Where are all those dying Bothans? Even just mentioned in passing? Stormtroopers walking down a corridor and one says to the other "That burning dog hair smell never comes off your armor."

inu-kun:
That's good news, though it will probably lead to the main characters cameo-ing in the main series.

That would be a bit difficult since most of the main cast of this movie would need to have cameos in movies already nearly 40 years old and they'd either be dead or so far beyond relevance in Episode 8 that it wouldn't be funny.

Fox12:

A lot of Bothans died getting that information.

That was Death Star II in Return of the Jedi.

LoL. What's the difference between a sequel and a spin-off? The titling. That's about it.; So if you believe they won't milk this cash cow like every other you are mistaken.

Kyrian007:

Bob_McMillan:

Neverhoodian:

No, the Daley Solo trilogy was the one that started with 1979's "Han Solo at Stars End" The Han Solo series with Bria Tharen was written in 97. And yeah I think that later series made Daley's story non-canon... and then itself was made non-canon when Disney axed the EU. So I doubt either will make it into Star Wars going forward. After all, many Bothans died to get that death star information to the Rebels. Yet I have seen only humans in Rogue One trailers so far. Where are all those dying Bothans? Even just mentioned in passing? Stormtroopers walking down a corridor and one says to the other "That burning dog hair smell never comes off your armor."

Odd, I have never heard of the Daley Solo trilogy, and I thought I had read pretty much every Star Wars book out there.

Also, you know all that, and yet you forgot that the Bothans died to get the plans for the second Death Star?

You should be ashamed, hand in your Geek Card at once!

It's been 4 years now, and people still confuse Lucasfilm and Disney? Good job, everyone!

OT: Not surpised, these are after all stand-alone films. Rogue One pretty much ends where Episode IV starts. They could eventually do something placed between Ep IV and V with whatever survives from the first mission, but a direct sequel of any kind isn't probable or necessary. At most we could see a cameo of someone 30-40 years later in Ep VIII or IX, but yeah...

I don't believe it for a second. With enough income they'll sequelize anything.

So everyone dies, got it.

Callate:
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking as well. We know the plans for the Death Star weren't something the Rebellion came by easily. We know this amazing covert operative didn't turn up later. Two and two together, and...?

The obvious conclusion is that there's going to be a "Star Wars: Even Specialer Edition" which adds all the Rogue One characters in using CGI.

Fox12:
I wouldn't mind more standalone films from star wars, honestly.

Absolutely. By far the biggest strength of Star Wars has always been the universe it built. Seeing the same characters and the same planets over and over again is a huge waste of the potential. Of course, this isn't just a problem for Star Wars, far too many franchises do the same thing and run familiar characters and plots into the ground when there's so much scope to show us something new. This is why the Star Wars expanded universe has always been popular, despite being most of it being little more than terribly written fan fiction; the good parts that don't just repeat the same characters show us an actual expanded universe. More stand-alone films and less endless repetition of the same characters is exactly what Star Wars needs.

They won't have a rogue one sequel because(Major spoilers):

Credit to Matpat from Film Theory for the idea.

HandofSet:
They won't have a rogue one sequel because(Major spoilers):

Credit to Matpat from Film Theory for the idea.

Heh. I just watched that theory last night. I don't believe it for a second, but I always enjoy watching his stuff. He makes it so fun.

Anyway, the only way this movie could get a sequel would be if it's about the Bothans that steal the plans for the second Death Star.
While I'm not expecting Disney to have the guts to kill off everyone on the mission (like what happened in the book), I will be very disappointed if pretty much all of them make it out alive. So yeah, sequel was never a thing in my mind.

"Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel" is already a thing. Technically not a "sequel", but I'm sure they could turn it into a movie one way or another if they decided there was money to be made.

That doesn't stop surviving characters from showing up in other movies. There's plenty of time between each of the original movies. It's be easy to tell a story of people tracking down Han Solos location after Empire Strikes Back for example.

Fox12:
A lot of Bothans died getting that information

Wrong Death Star, I'm afraid.

And while actually having a self-contained story would be great, I'll trust Disney to not make the franchise another run-into-the-ground cash cow when I see it; they've traditionally paid very little attention to the finer sides of artistic integrity or narrative consistency.

I mean, that woman doesn't look anything like Kyle Katarn.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here