Report - From Software has Dark Souls 3 running on Nintendo Switch

Report - From Software has Dark Souls 3 running on Nintendo Switch

dark-souls-3-320

The studio is also reportedly considering a re-release of all three Dark Souls games.

Dark Souls developer From Software has a build of Dark Souls 3 running on Nintendo Switch, according to sources who have spoken with Let's Play Video Games. One source stated that the company has the game "running on the Nintendo Switch with a level of performance they are happy with." While this doesn't confirm a release on the platform - and no official statement has been made on the matter - From Software was listed as a company that has announced support for the Switch when the console was officially revealed in October.

It was also stated that discussions are reportedly in place to re-release the main three Dark Souls games, complete with DLC, on the Switch.

The source indicated that From Software is waiting to see the Switch's initial sales before making a firm decision on the port, with the Dark Souls 3 Switch release expected to launch on the same day as PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC DLC-bundled versions.

In other Dark Souls news, Dark Souls 3 producer Atsuo Yoshimura recently expressed an interest in bringing Dark Souls to VR.

Knowing Nintendo, they'll only release 5 Switches to "increase demand" then From will say the lack of sales make it not worth porting.

Um, that's great. And I'm sure there are people who will be quite happy with the idea of being able to play Dark Souls 3 on the road (people who haven't invested in a gaming-capable laptop computer, anyway.)

But I'm having uncomfortable flashbacks to the Wii-U having Watch_Dogs and Batman: Arkham City and Mass Effect 3, well after said titles had already come out for every other system.

Nintendo needs to make a showing that the Switch is going to get the titles that are being released for other systems now.

Okay but I already beat Dark Souls 3 and my PC will for sure run it better than the switch will.

I'm still 50/50 on the switch here. IMO the problem with the vita is the games on it were not portable friendly. 200 hour long JRPGs with save point systems are not something you can just put 20 minutes into on a bus ride. Skyrim and DS3 are similar. These are sit down and play games, not take on the road with me games. Of course, the switch can be docked at home so it needs sit down and play games - but the only reason anyone will care about a re-release of an old game is for the ability to take it on the road which is the only thing they couldn't do with it before.

Nintendo needs to get some titles that aren't ports announced. With Legend of Zelda not being a launch title, they need something millions of people don't already own.

Dark Souls 3 is going to join Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 on my list of games that I played on a Nintendo console first. I consider myself to be in the minority when it comes to players who go for those games on a Nintendo console so if From is going to hold out on a trilogy re-release and base it off of how many copies of DS3 sell on the Switch than I guess I should be happy with what I end up getting. I really look forward to the idea of laying in bed or on the couch (ie: more than 2m away from my console/dock) and playing these games in a semi-vegitative daze but that's all I really wanted out of the Wii U and why I liked off-TV play to begin with. Not everyone is going to be that easy to please.

Callate:

But I'm having uncomfortable flashbacks to the Wii-U having Watch_Dogs and Batman: Arkham City and Mass Effect 3, well after said titles had already come out for every other system.

That's because the Wii U didn't give any reason to play the games. Why would you buy a game you already own in order to play it on another home console?

There's actually a market for playing AAA home console games on a handheld.

Weaver:
Okay but I already beat Dark Souls 3 and my PC will for sure run it better than the switch will.

Except.. You likely played it in your house. If a hypothetical person wants the console for the purpose of playing the game while travelling, then I'm sure they'd rather be like..

I'm not saying that third party ports are going to sell the console, because they won't. But there's definitely far more appeal to Switch ports than there was to Wii U ports.

EDIT: And I get you raise the point of a lot of home console games not being "sit down and play" titles. But there're a lot of people who frequently travel on long journeys. It suits 8 hour flights and 2 hour train rides. It's also more convenient to take as hand luggage, opposed to something like a laptop or PC.

Kibeth41:

Weaver:

Except.. You likely played it in your house. If a hypothetical person wants the console for the purpose of playing the game while travelling, then I'm sure they'd rather be like..

I'm not saying that third party ports are going to sell the console, because they won't. But there's definitely far more appeal to Switch ports than there was to Wii U ports.

Thank you for ignoring the entire paragraph below the sentence you quoted which explains my position on that.

Weaver:

Thank you for ignoring the entire paragraph below the sentence you quoted which explains my position on that.

The paragraph which was unrelated to the opening statement?

"Dark Souls runs better on PC than it will on the Switch". "AAA games aren't suited for short spurts of play".

Congratulations on getting a game I enjoyed six years ago I guess.

The novelty of mobile play is interesting, but Dark Soul's isn't the sort of game you casually pick up and put down.

Kibeth41:

Callate:

That's because the Wii U didn't give any reason to play the games. Why would you buy a game you already own in order to play it on another home console?

Weaver:

EDIT: And I get you raise the point of a lot of home console games not being "sit down and play" titles. But there're a lot of people who frequently travel on long journeys. It suits 8 hour flights and 2 hour train rides. It's also more convenient to take as hand luggage, opposed to something like a laptop or PC.

I get the feeling that the Switch isn't aimed at us. It seems like a console that is heavily geared toward a Japanese audiance. Console gaming is quite big in the states, but mobile gaming has pretty much taken over in Japan. I feel like this is Nintendo's attempt to get ahead of the curve in their own country. Whether or not it will be remotely relevant in the states remains to be seen.

AzrealMaximillion:
Nintendo needs to get some titles that aren't ports announced. With Legend of Zelda not being a launch title, they need something millions of people don't already own.

I mean, if we believe these rumors then a Mario game, a Pikmin game, Retro's original IP game, a Mario X Rabbids RPG game, Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest XI, Just Dance 2017, and Nobunaga's Ambition are also coming and all would be new. The problem is that no one bothers reporting these games so we get the "Nintendo is only making ports for Switch" problem. Hell, the last 4 games have been officially announced unlike all the rumored ports which are just rumors.

EDIT: changed Romance of the Three Kingdoms to Nobunaga's ambition.

xaszatm:

AzrealMaximillion:

I mean, if we believe these rumors then a Mario game, a Pikmin game, Retro's original IP game, a Mario X Rabbids RPG game, Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest XI, Just Dance 2017, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms are also coming and all would be new. The problem is that no one bothers reporting these games so we get the "Nintendo is only making ports for Switch" problem. Hell, the last 4 games have been officially announced unlike all the rumored ports which are just rumors.

Wait, hold on, back the fuck up.

There's going to be a new Romance of the Three Kingdoms game on the Switch and this is the first time I'm hearing about it?

Kibeth41:

There may be. But a lot is going to be riding on the price point and especially the battery life and charging capabilities of the thing. In a perfect world, it would run on the USB power that many airlines now make available to coach passengers on long-haul flights. More realistically, it's only going to charge through its dock, or through some proprietary cable that comes with the "premium" version of the Switch or that you can buy separately for $30, that needs a wall outlet to plug into.

Nintendo can't flub this one and send out something that squeezes two hours of play if you turn the screen down to its lowest brightness and turn off all networking capabilities. Nor can it charge more than it would for a laptop that can provide a similar experience. I don't think the consumer base is going to accept "and then, next iteration, we iron out the bugs" this time.

altnameJag:

xaszatm:

AzrealMaximillion:

I mean, if we believe these rumors then a Mario game, a Pikmin game, Retro's original IP game, a Mario X Rabbids RPG game, Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest XI, Just Dance 2017, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms are also coming and all would be new. The problem is that no one bothers reporting these games so we get the "Nintendo is only making ports for Switch" problem. Hell, the last 4 games have been officially announced unlike all the rumored ports which are just rumors.

Wait, hold on, back the fuck up.

There's going to be a new Romance of the Three Kingdoms game on the Switch and this is the first time I'm hearing about it?

Actually, no sorry. I got the wrong Koei Tecmo game. It's Nobunaga's Ambition that's coming to the Nintendo Switch. I don't know if Romance of the Three Kingdoms is coming. Sorry, my fault.Here's the source for that, by the way.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/27/koei-tecmo-bringing-nobunagas-ambition-nintendo-switch/

xaszatm:

altnameJag:

Actually, no sorry. I got the wrong Koei Tecmo game. It's Nobunaga's Ambition that's coming to the Nintendo Switch. I don't know if Romance of the Three Kingdoms is coming. Sorry, my fault.Here's the source for that, by the way.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/27/koei-tecmo-bringing-nobunagas-ambition-nintendo-switch/

Ahh. Well, close enough.

Callate:

Nintendo can't flub this one and send out something that squeezes two hours of play if you turn the screen down to its lowest brightness and turn off all networking capabilities. Nor can it charge more than it would for a laptop that can provide a similar experience. I don't think the consumer base is going to accept "and then, next iteration, we iron out the bugs" this time.

All signs point to it being around the same price point and hardware as the Nvidia shield.

The charging cable is a gamble though. I'm hoping the rumors about USB are true.

xaszatm:

AzrealMaximillion:

I mean, if we believe these rumors then a Mario game, a Pikmin game, Retro's original IP game, a Mario X Rabbids RPG game, Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest XI, Just Dance 2017, and Nobunaga's Ambition are also coming and all would be new. The problem is that no one bothers reporting these games so we get the "Nintendo is only making ports for Switch" problem. Hell, the last 4 games have been officially announced unlike all the rumored ports which are just rumors.

Firstly, you named 4 rumoured ports, which kind of bolsters my point.

Secondly, if no one reported on them, who were you able to find out about them and link to them later in the thread.

Listen, I'm aware that all consoles have lots of ports at launch, but with Nintendo holding off on Zelda's release and not knowing if the Mario game in question is a full one Mario title or one of the more "in between" titles, there's not many games to draw in people who aren't already fans of Nintendo. And that list isn't growing.

Fox12:

The novelty of mobile play is interesting, but Dark Soul's isn't the sort of game you casually pick up and put down.

First this is Dark Souls 3 which came out this year...

Second: Dark Souls as a franchise is perfect for a handheld. Yes it's a long game, there are plenty of long games on handheld. The biggest thing that makes it friendly though? Dark Souls games constantly auto-save all over the place, they save exactly where you are when you quit. You can easily pick Dark Souls up and put it down on a whim because of that. You'd just want to avoid any boss fight if you're getting close to your destination. Also a lot of people like having handhelds at home. Since you don't hog the TV and can isolate yourself from your family/house mates while playing on a handheld.

AzrealMaximillion:

xaszatm:

AzrealMaximillion:

Firstly, you named 4 rumoured ports, which kind of bolsters my point.

Secondly, if no one reported on them, who were you able to find out about them and link to them later in the thread.

Listen, I'm aware that all consoles have lots of ports at launch, but with Nintendo holding off on Zelda's release and not knowing if the Mario game in question is a full one Mario title or one of the more "in between" titles, there's not many games to draw in people who aren't already fans of Nintendo. And that list isn't growing.

...except we're talking about an article that talks about a rumored port. If the rumored port is believable, why aren't the rumored new games? Second off, I found out because I go and read the original source. As far as I can tell, no one talked about the Nobunaga's Ambition game or the mysterious Rare IP these people are sure are happening, instead just talking about them. Hell, the idea that Zelda is delayed is in fact a rumor. A rumor that, within the same source, says that a brand new 3D Mario will be a launch title. So you can't have it both ways. Either none of the rumor is true or all of the rumor is true. You can't just cherry pick them to falsely create a narrative.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime:

Fox12:

Second: Dark Souls as a franchise is perfect for a handheld. Yes it's a long game, there are plenty of long games on handheld. The biggest thing that makes it friendly though? Dark Souls games constantly auto-save all over the place, they save exactly where you are when you quit. You can easily pick Dark Souls up and put it down on a whim because of that. You'd just want to avoid any boss fight if you're getting close to your destination. Also a lot of people like having handhelds at home. Since you don't hog the TV and can isolate yourself from your family/house mates while playing on a handheld.

It sounds like it's the re-release of the full trilogy. Which is nice for anyone who still hasn't played it, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a collection of mostly last gen games.

My main issue is with the difficulty. It's a series that really needs to be taken in. Handhelds don't tend to lend themselves to games with deep lore and complex battle systems.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime:

Fox12:

I don't think Dark Souls' online elements would make it a good handheld game. Unless its being made so that you can play by conecting to other people's Switches, There's not enough free Wifi spots around for an on the go Dark Souls experience that doesn't require coffee shop wifi.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here