See Spider-Man in the New Homecoming Trailer

See Spider-Man in the New Homecoming Trailer

Spider-Man comes home in his solo MCU debut.

Another day, another Spider-Man origin story. Spider-Man: Homecoming will be the first solo Spider-Man film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and sees Tom Holland reprise his Captain America: Civil War role as Peter Parker, a high schooler who becomes the superhero Spider-Man.

The story this time around, judging just from the trailer, will see Parker fight against Vulture (Michael Keaton), all while the adult superheroes, represented by Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.), tell him to let them handle it. So, two conflicts for our hero. Fun!

Look, a lot has been made about the deal between Sony and Marvel/Disney in order to get Spider-Man into the MCU. But will it make for a good movie? In the small doses we got in Civil War, it worked. It remains to be seen whether or not that translates when dealing with a full movie, but my fingers are definitely crossed.

Spider-Man: Homecoming hits theaters on July 7, 2017.

I still squee over Spider-Man in the MCU so I'm amped.

Looks promising, but trailers can be misleading.

If you look reeeaaally carefully you'll spot a subtle cameo from Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark in that trailer.

It's super subtle though, blink-and-you'll-miss-it stuff.

Anyway, personally not feeling this one at all.

Adrian Toomes has always felt like the most sinister villain name. I hope that is the one they are using.

I hate Mary-Jane 'Albatross' Watson. Always will. She is the worst civilian marvel character and a horrible girlfriend.

I hope he stops saying "this is awesome" at some point. He has already managed to wear the phrase thin in the mere 30 minutes of screentime he has had in the MCU thus far. It's nice to finally have the Vulture as a villain and i hope they get it right, especcially considering how Sam Raimi was blocked from using him in spider man 3 by Sony. Also, i hope Mary Jane is something other than just a person who complains at spider man inbetween his action scenes or someone who only exists to get captured.

Why does Robert look like his face is melting.

Is this Captian Planet.

It weird they are giving him Miles' best friend Ganke. He even breaks a lego set finding out his friend has spider powers like in Ultimate.

I think it will be good. Marvel essentially has control over the story of the movie, that was the failing of the two "Amazing" movies.

008Zulu:
I think it will be good. Marvel essentially has control over the story of the movie

That means nothing. Civil War and BvS were huge letdowns, while Deadpool and Ninja Turtles 2 were the only great comic book movies of the year.

Looks fine, just like the other Marvel movies. I'm just getting a little tired of villains in robot suits.

A little too much Tony Stark but he's mentoring Peter. This might bite him in the butt later. Having Keaton in there gives the film a bit of gravitas, so long as he plays the role a bit more serious than he did "Need for Speed". What's with these award-winning actors cropping up in the hero movies? Sure Keaton started the trend but Anthony Hopkins is in Transformers now! Oh and hey, this dropped onto the youtubes today also -

It look more promising than the previous "Amazing" trailers.

Still I wonder what is stopping Tony from stomping on the Vulture but I suppose we will have to wait and see.

As much as I'm sure it'll be good, I can't stand High School movies/dramas. Its always sooooo cartoonishly over the top, like what 40 year olds watching HS movies written by 35 year olds think 15 year olds are like.
Oh wow, a jock who's also a bully and the on again/off again boyfriend of the hot girl. Oh, a nerdy goth girl who thinks the two nerds are losers for liking the attractive girl. Bet there's no way she falls for the fat sidekick, or the fat sidekick goes in for a kiss and whoops, she's a lesbian.

Its like the people who write this crap never went to high school, and just watched the Karate Kid and My Science Project over and over for 4 years.

American Fox:
Civil War [was a] huge letdown,

Lmao what? Civil War was one of the best goddamn movies. The way it handled interpersonal conflict and positions was very well crafted. All their arguments had nuance and I couldn't decide on a side myself. It was also just a great feeling to watch.

American Fox:

008Zulu:
I think it will be good. Marvel essentially has control over the story of the movie

That means nothing. Civil War and BvS were huge letdowns, while Deadpool and Ninja Turtles 2 were the only great comic book movies of the year.

>Ninja Turtles 2
>great comic book movie.

Surely, you can't be serious.

Silentpony:
As much as I'm sure it'll be good, I can't stand High School movies/dramas. Its always sooooo cartoonishly over the top, like what 40 year olds watching HS movies written by 35 year olds think 15 year olds are like.
Oh wow, a jock who's also a bully and the on again/off again boyfriend of the hot girl. Oh, a nerdy goth girl who thinks the two nerds are losers for liking the attractive girl. Bet there's no way she falls for the fat sidekick, or the fat sidekick goes in for a kiss and whoops, she's a lesbian.

Its like the people who write this crap never went to high school, and just watched the Karate Kid and My Science Project over and over for 4 years.

Awful lot of judgment coming from someone who hasn't seen the film.

Kenbo Slice:

Silentpony:

Awful lot of judgment coming from someone who hasn't seen the film.

I meant in general. High School movies always follow the same formula and its a bad example of what High school life is actually like.
And I guess you missed the part where I said "I'm sure it'll be good"

Looks very watchable. No surprise, Marvel has yet to make a bad movie.
I'm not impressed though. The "Hulk gave it away" comment was legit funny and in character.

I'm still not entirely sure who's really pulling the strings on this one. Is it Marvel Studios? Because it seems to have about four hundred writers... which isn't particularly encouraging, and doesn't generally match 'the Marvel [Studios] method'.

I swear Sony and Fox seem to think it's still the early 2000's of comicbook films, so they need to have as little input on--- well, anything ever as possible... The MCU may eventually go off the rails or descend into abject mediocrity--- *pause for wacky remarks about them being there already* ---but they don't need any help getting there.

Stupidity:
Looks very watchable. No surprise, Marvel has yet to make a bad movie.

I'd say Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 make a case for being bad films, or at least deeply, profoundly unremarkable and flawed. See also the Hulk film no one bothers to remember or count as part of the MCU.

That means nothing. Civil War and BvS were huge letdowns, while Deadpool and Ninja Turtles 2 were the only great comic book movies of the year

Wow started well by mentioning Deadpool and then fell over and broke both legs by mentioning Turtles 2.

Ahhh so in the space of a week we have had GOG2 trailer and a new Spiderman trailer and while GOG2's trailer killed it Homecomings was actually alright.

Great trailer. A little bit of wee came out. I like that they borrowed Miles best friend Ganke, it works for a young spiderman.

I would have prefered Miles to Peter but I can already hear the complaints that SJW's ruined spiderman movies so Peter is a safer bet.

It was a decent trailer. Not a huge fan of how much Stark is in the movie, but oh well. Maybe he's not in it that much and this is just to sell a bunch more tickets.

American Fox:

Seriously, Ninja Turtles 2 was a great comic book movie?

I hate to say it, but this should have been released before GotG2 trailer. There's no way it can compare to that recent trailer. It's just too good and quotable.

Not to say this was a bad trailer. Though, I think I can see the plot. Peter is hoping to be an official Avenger and hero, only to have Tony tell him to lay low, even despite the events in Civil War, or maybe because of them. Peter will try to live a normal life as much as a super-genius kid who can bench 10 tons, climb walls, and sense everything around him at all times can. Only to have Vulture start to cause trouble. Tony won't, or can't, act (maybe because Vulture is too small a threat?) and Peter will take it upon himself to fight.

Seem about right?

Silentpony:

Seems more like you have issues with an overuse of Tropes in high school films. I can't say for certain whether this film will use such Tropes or not, but I feel your pain.

Darth Rosenberg:
I'd say Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 make a case for being bad films, or at least deeply, profoundly unremarkable and flawed. See also the Hulk film no one bothers to remember or count as part of the MCU.

I'd argue that Iron Man 2 was at least entertaining enough to watch. It may have been one of the weaker Marvel films, but it's still miles ahead of MoS and BvS. I can't really comment on Thor 2.

bjj hero:
Great trailer. A little bit of wee came out. I like that they borrowed Miles best friend Ganke, it works for a young spiderman.

I would have prefered Miles to Peter but I can already hear the complaints that SJW's ruined spiderman movies so Peter is a safer bet.

Now that you mention it, I'm almost surprised they didn't use Miles instead of Peter, if only to differentiate these films from the ones Sony made (you know there will be people who think this is part of the Amazing Spiderman movies). Plenty of other elements of these movies has been borrowed from the Ultimate universe (Nick Fury). I suppose it's just the fact that Peter is more recognizable in the eyes of most people who aren't familiar with the comics.

Saltyk:

bjj hero:

Now that you mention it, I'm almost surprised they didn't use Miles instead of Peter, if only to differentiate these films from the ones Sony made (you know there will be people who think this is part of the Amazing Spiderman movies). Plenty of other elements of these movies has been borrowed from the Ultimate universe (Nick Fury). I suppose it's just the fact that Peter is more recognizable in the eyes of most people who aren't familiar with the comics.

That or doing Peter first means they can switch to Miles if Tom Holland ever wants out of his contract. Got to think ahead about replacing actors when they move on from Marvel

American Fox:
It weird they are giving him Miles' best friend Ganke. He even breaks a lego set finding out his friend has spider powers like in Ultimate.

I would have rather had Miles, but I think Marvel feels people want to see Peter for some weird reason. They're still doing Teenaged Spidey, so it's a step in the right direction.

RedDeadFred:
It was a decent trailer. Not a huge fan of how much Stark is in the movie, but oh well. Maybe he's not in it that much and this is just to sell a bunch more tickets.

I find myself saying this with almost every movie Robert Downey Jr. is in.

People give Thor 2 crap but at least it didn't have Stark in it. Maybe I'm just bitter because I hate Tony Stark.

In any case, this already looks better than almost anything from Amazing Spider-Man. I like Michael Keaton so mmmmmaybe he can pull it off?

No wonder that thread in Off-Topic didn't gain any traction. I'll copy-paste my thoughts:

The material in the trailer looks fine. Maybe more Iron Man than I'd expect, but otherwise unsurprising. The editing however is so super damn generic at this point that it makes me want to claw my eyes out. Also that "homecoming" font... striking to say the least.

Took a look at the cast list... Parker is supposed to be 15? Whut? At least give the guy a pizza-face! He doesn't look 15 at all. And of course some Disney Channel pop singer/actress is playing a character that's "very smart, very intellectual, always in her books." Good luck with that.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here