Update: Yooka-Laylee Will Launch Next April, Wii U Version Cancelled

Update: Yooka-Laylee Will Launch Next April, Wii U Version Cancelled

yooka laylee image 05

Yooka-Laylee will launch in April 11, 2017, according to an ad on the Microsoft store.

Update: A representative for Playtonic Games has confirmed to The Escapist that the April 11 release date is indeed correct. It will be released for the Xbox One, PS4 and PC simultanously. Additionally, the representative has confirmed that the Wii U version of the game has been cancelled, as the team is looking to shift development to the Nintendo Switch.

Any backers who pledged for the Wii U version will be able to move their pledge to any of the three versions launching on April 11 or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version when further details are announced in 2017.

Original Story: The folks over at Eurogamer have spotted this ad for Playtonic's Yooka-Laylee over on the Microsoft store, suggesting the game's official retail release date is April 11, 2017. You can pre-order the game right now for $39.99.

Playtonic hasn't officially announced the release date but with the page live on the official Microsoft store we can expect to hear it in the near future.

Yooka-Laylee was originally expected to launch in October 2016, but was pushed back to Q1 2017 earlier in the year. "While we felt confident we could ship the game in October as originally projected in our Kickstarter, the Playtonic team has decided that it would prefer to add a few extra months' polish to the game schedule," said Playtonic at the time, adding that the delay will allow the team to deliver "a better game."

While April is technically pushing into Q2, at least we now have a solid date for the game.

Source: Eurogamer

Plus there were too many competing titles out in that month, so I agree with them, push til april.

Also, they are cancelling the WiiU version (due to "technical difficulties" - my arse) and making a Switch version...hopefully launching the same day as the others but maybe not :/

http://www.playtonicgames.com/yooka-laylee-reptile-rolls-towards-release/

Dayum, I didn't realize just how much cash I'm saving by backing it on kickstarter. $15 netted a copy there, I had assumed it was gonna be launching at $25ish. If anything I'm glad though, if they think it's worth $40, with what we've seen so far I'm pretty confident it'll live up to the value.

pearcinator:
(due to "technical difficulties" - my arse)

Is this meant to be expert opinion, or just salt? The technical difficulties part is obvious when you consider, that A, the WiiU is slightly stronger than a PS3 on a good day, and B, Unity games, especially larger ones, run like complete shit on the WiiU. It was naive to think that it would even happen. Same with Bloodstained on WiiU. (They even promised to port UE4 for that one. What a lark.)

Of course, it's a dumb decision to release a game on a dead platform, and instead of that focusing on a potentially better venue is a sound idea, I'm not denying that. I'm sure it was a partial motivator. But don't think that the WiiU version of the game wouldn't have been anything but an awful port at best, and an infeasible waste of money better spent elsewhere at worst.

I am not trying to be a negative nancy here, because I love these 3D platformer games like Spyro the Dragon, Banjo Kazooie, Super Mario ,etc but what is not making me feel for this game......is the main charcaters I play as.

I don't why they just don't appeal to me. A lizard gecko and a bat. I just don't see it.

We've got four months, people. Keep hoping Playtonic did Kickstarter right!

Samtemdo8:
I am not trying to be a negative nancy here, because I love these 3D platformer games like Spyro the Dragon, Banjo Kazooie, Super Mario ,etc but what is not making me feel for this game......is the main charcaters I play as.

I don't why they just don't appeal to me. A lizard gecko and a bat. I just don't see it.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Plus, the level design... It looks schizophrenic and samey. Hopefully, they're only showing us, like, the first one or two levels.

I'm not going to be surprised if other pending Wii U indies shift their focus to the Switch...Stardew Valley did it, Darksiders: Warmaster (I know, not an indie) will likely do it...Once that Five Nights at Freddies console collection is announced (about 3 days after launch) it'll probably come to the Switch instead of the Wii U. As long as I can get this on a console that I own though, that's really all I care about...not that I have any of those consoles...yet...

Looks nice. Will be a pleasant substitute for the void that Rare left in favour of pushing mind-control slugs from Microsoft up its' nose.

As long as they actually deliver a better game and not a repeat of Mighty #9.

MC1980:

pearcinator:

Is this meant to be expert opinion, or just salt? The technical difficulties part is obvious when you consider, that A, the WiiU is slightly stronger than a PS3 on a good day, and B, Unity games, especially larger ones, run like complete shit on the WiiU. It was naive to think that it would even happen. Same with Bloodstained on WiiU. (They even promised to port UE4 for that one. What a lark.)

Of course, it's a dumb decision to release a game on a dead platform, and instead of that focusing on a potentially better venue is a sound idea, I'm not denying that. I'm sure it was a partial motivator. But don't think that the WiiU version of the game wouldn't have been anything but an awful port at best, and an infeasible waste of money better spent elsewhere at worst.

I'm saying it was just a cop-out excuse. They should have just said that they are upgrading to the Switch version because the WiiU will be last-gen by the time the Switch releases. I'm 100% sure the WiiU could have run Yooka-Laylee no problem. Saying that it's because of technical issues is just a lie.

pearcinator:

MC1980:

pearcinator:

I'm saying it was just a cop-out excuse. They should have just said that they are upgrading to the Switch version because the WiiU will be last-gen by the time the Switch releases. I'm 100% sure the WiiU could have run Yooka-Laylee no problem. Saying that it's because of technical issues is just a lie.

"I'm 100% sure the WiiU could have run Yooka-Laylee no problem. Saying that it's because of technical issues is just a lie."

What are you basing this on? Your years of experience working with Unity? Years of experience porting games? Or is it based on your feelings? On stupid rationale like "b-but Xenoblade X looks nice, so this should run fine."? How can you, when you don't seem to have an actual clue about any aspect of what might be even considered "technical", decide that they, people who actually work on this, are lying about technical issues? Did you consult a magic 8-ball for your insight?

Fact is, WiiU hardware is weak as shit. More important fact is, Unity, the engine the game is being made in, runs like absolute fucking crap with anything but the simplest games on WiiU. A game like Yooka-Laylee, which has big-ish open areas, will have huge issues with loading and streaming assets due to the WiiU's hardware deficiencies. Which will lead to constant hitching, slowdowns, choppines. This is on top of the fact that Unity's performance on consoles has been less than stellar, even on PS4/Xbone. Without extensive rewrites to the engine, the game will at best run at an unstable 30FPS, with constant drops to anywhere between 15-25FPS in any area where something is actually happening and you aren't looking at a wall. To actively work on a version of the game that would be this bad is not only a waste of resources, but also a shit thing to do to people who are expecting a decent experience from it.

Of course, this is just taking reality into account, to see if it's feasable or not. Now, whether or not it would be 'possible' in the purest sense of the word, to have Yooka-Laylee be on WiiU? Sure, a really shit version of it, yeah. Evidently, "shit" is not something the devs are interested in producing, so it was canned.

But what about a good version of it? What would it have taken to get a proper, good looking, well performing version of the game on WiiU? There were 2 ways, really, to achieve this. Either they would've had to create a custom engine designed specifically around the WiiU's hardware capabilities, ala Xenoblade X. (This would've had to be part of the budgeting from the start.) Of course, this means that the engine wouldn't be able to be used for the other versions of the game, so that creates a whole mountain of other issues. Not to mention that this avenue would have cost disproportionately more money, manpower and time to do than the dev team has available. And since the WiiU version of the game would never actually sell a lot of copies, it would also be a good way to kill your company.

The other, and more reasonable way, would be to create a fork in Unity and try to customise it with in house improvements to make it run decently on a WiiU. I assume this was even the plan at one point. Sadly, since Yooka-Laylee is being made on what would be considered a shoestring budget and a really small team by development standards, even this would run the risk of falling out of budget. They would probably need to hire more people with experience in game engine's to do such modifications, and hiring people at this point is not a cheap hit to take. The fact that the WiiU version won't make any money doesn't make this feel any better either.

It's really not a question whether it was possible or not. Most every issue is fixable, or at the least can be mitigated in game development. But it always comes at the cost of money, manpower and time, which is the limiting factor here. So as it stands, to counter the issues of making a good WiiU version of the game would cost way too much for a small company to reasonable achieve, and they themselves didn't wish to release a half-baked product. That's all that happened.

On the one hand, yet another shut-down for the Wii U. Much like the Vita, I love it, but I can't help being sad about it.

On the other, I was always planning on getting the thing on PC anyway, because pump that Banjo-Kazooie directly into my veins Playtonic you saucy bastards. I got to play the Toybox thanks to a friend of mine and even that just made me weep tears of joy.

Xsjadoblayde:
Looks nice. Will be a pleasant substitute for the void that Rare left in favour of pushing mind-control slugs from Microsoft up its' nose.

They must have sneezed them out or something. Yay! As a backer, I'm confident this game will be worth the wait.

Seriously, thanks for that mental image. It made my day.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here