Nostalrius Vanilla WoW Servers Return Amid DDoS Attacks and High Player Counts

Nostalrius Vanilla WoW Servers Return Amid DDoS Attacks and High Player Counts

The Nostalrius vanilla WoW servers made their return over the weekend under a new banner.

As was announced a couple of weeks back, the Nostalrius servers came back from the dead over the weekend. Of course, they weren't run by the same team. Instead, they were under the banner of the Elysium Project.

As you might expect, there was a flood of players trying to get into the servers, and with concurrent players capped at 5,000, queues were a common sight. Compounding the issue, the Elysium team said on Twitter that they were facing six concurrent DDoS attacks.

It looks like they've gotten those issues under control, as both the PvE and PvP realms are up now. According to the official timeline for the new server progression, the PvE server can look forward to the addition of Blackwing Lair and Patch 1.6 next month. The PvP server is a bit more advanced, with patch 1.9 (The Gates of Ahn'Qiraj) planned for launch in February.

I'd expect that these servers will continue to be busy throughout the holidays. There's still a "fresh-start" server planned for those who want to experience what the game was like at launch all over again. Of course all of this is contingent upon the continued existence of the servers, which in light of the fact that Blizzard already forced them to be shut down once, is up in the air.

If you want to try out Nostalrius for yourself, you can find more information over on the Elysium website.

Praise the Sun!

I'm curious what Blizzard will do about this.

Some people on MMO-Champion were blaming Blizzard for the DDoS attack XD

This will either be taken down by Blizzard or they'll buckle under the costs of keeping up the service over a longer period of time... Good on them for trying to do this though.

This is ILLEGAL. No matter how much nostalgia you want to live in, if someone holds a patent on intellectual property, and you thumb your nose at them, and they turn around and hammerfuck you legally...

You asked for it.

I understand the wistful remembrance of days long past, but man... The sheer affront and nerve that the people running these servers show, outright telling MegaCorp that is Blizztavision (and their lawyers) that they don't care a fig for such things as copyright law... Well, it's like screaming "I'm a millennial, and I demand what I want right now."

This is all just painful to watch. Dealings with Blizzard were bound to be ongoing, and it was never going to be announced at midnight.

Besides, is it even worth playing when the high probability of the server being shutdown exists? World of Warcraft is a pretty longhaul game. It's not worth playing for a month or two. Especially vanilla.

Fappy:

Those same people are probably also holocaust deniers and flat earth society members.

5 bucks says Blizzard hammers this shit down by January. Dumbasses (the Server admins, not Blizzard).

mythgraven:
This is ILLEGAL. No matter how much nostalgia you want to live in, if someone holds a patent on intellectual property, and you thumb your nose at them, and they turn around and hammerfuck you legally...

You asked for it.

I understand the wistful remembrance of days long past, but man... The sheer affront and nerve that the people running these servers show, outright telling MegaCorp that is Blizztavision (and their lawyers) that they don't care a fig for such things as copyright law... Well, it's like screaming "I'm a millennial, and I demand what I want right now."

God forbid I play a game I paid for.

Kibeth41:
This is all just painful to watch. Dealings with Blizzard were bound to be ongoing, and it was never going to be announced at midnight.

Besides, is it even worth playing when the high probability of the server being shutdown exists? World of Warcraft is a pretty longhaul game. It's not worth playing for a month or two. Especially vanilla.

Fappy:

Those same people are probably also holocaust deniers and flat earth society members.

You're kidding yourself if you think Blizzard has any intention of moving ahead with legacy servers. And who cares if the server goes down? The point of these servers is the journey, not the destination.

Wrex Brogan:
5 bucks says Blizzard hammers this shit down by January. Dumbasses (the Server admins, not Blizzard).

I'd love to see them try.

Vahir:

Wrex Brogan:

...that would've sounded way more threatening if Blizzard hadn't done this before, you know.

Wrex Brogan:

Vahir:

Wrex Brogan:

...that would've sounded way more threatening if Blizzard hadn't done this before, you know.

When?

Vahir:

Wrex Brogan:

Vahir:

When?

When they sent the cease and desist orders to the original Nostralius servers? It's literally how this whole shindig started.

Wrex Brogan:

Vahir:

Wrex Brogan:

When?

When they sent the cease and desist orders to the original Nostralius servers? It's literally how this whole shindig started.

That wasn't a "hammer" going down, the Nost team voluntarily closed up shop to keep the hope of legacy servers alive. Lots of servers get handed c&d and keep running.

Vahir:

Wrex Brogan:

Vahir:

When?

That wasn't a "hammer" going down, the Nost team voluntarily closed up shop to keep the hope of legacy servers alive. Lots of servers get handed c&d and keep running.

And then they all but explicitly told Blizzard to go fuck themselves when Blizzard wasn't falling over themselves to do legacy servers. Hence the hammering - they've already pissed off Blizzard at this point, I doubt they're just going to get a polite c&d this time.

Wrex Brogan:

Vahir:

Wrex Brogan:

And then they all but explicitly told Blizzard to go fuck themselves when Blizzard wasn't falling over themselves to do legacy servers. Hence the hammering - they've already pissed off Blizzard at this point, I doubt they're just going to get a polite c&d this time.

Couple of things about that;

The servers are based out of Ukraine or Russia. Have fun shutting that down via legal methods so long as the bills are paid.

Also, unlike other games where we can have a hard copy so we can play a game anytime we want, MMOs require servers to access if we want to enjoy the world. If the developers add shit the player-base does not enjoy even after years of requests for changes(almost a decade at this point)we are forced to go around them and have our own servers built.

I would gladly pay Blizzard $5 a month to make a stable Vanilla server but they have refused to do so.

And don't give me the "Blizz needs more dev time to make it happen" excuse. They should have kept the source code for the original game and even if they don't have anymore (why the hell not, who tosses good code?) small teams of unpaid Volunteers have been able to replicate the game (some with similar levels of bugs to Blizzard's original game).

All Blizzard needed to do was toss a couple of unpaid interns into a room with the Nost devs and pay for a server. That would have taken about $1500 a month if we go by the request for server cost donation post by the Elysium devs.

At $5 per person that means as soon as the server hits a stable population of 300 the server is paid for. Current Nost servers are being capped at 7500 with queues of between one to four thousand depending on the time of day.

In general I try my hardest to follow the law. I don't speed, rarely drink, etc. But if I want to continue to enjoy a game I have loved for years and I cannot do so anymore via completely legal means then I am more than happy to support those people who can bring me what I want and I don't feel bad in the slightest.

Blizzard lost their claim to the Pre-Cataclysm world IP when they dropped support for it. I will agree that private servers that replicate current content that can be accessed on official servers should be shut down.

ffronw:
<

It looks like they've gotten those issues under control, as both the PvE and PvP realms are up now. According to the official timeline for the new server progression, the PvE server can look forward to the addition of Blackwing Lair and Patch 1.6 next month. The PvP server is a bit more advanced, with patch 1.9 (The Gates of Ahn'Qiraj) planned for launch in February.

Wait... wait wait wait.

That's BS. If you want Vanilla WoW, you play Vanilla WoW. No patches, no new content. You add content, you may as well play live.

"Vanilla" is all content before the release of the first expansion.

Makabriel:
Wait... wait wait wait.

That's BS. If you want Vanilla WoW, you play Vanilla WoW. No patches, no new content. You add content, you may as well play live.

Wut? There's no need to be a purist about it, patches and such are fine. I mean, there are servers without em, but they're buggy by nature. I mean, I play a TBC server a lot, it doesn't follow that I "may as well play live".

ffronw:
Compounding the issue, the Elysium team said on Twitter that they were facing six concurrent DDoS attacks.

What the fuck? Who the hell would do that? Fucking seriously?

Arnoxthe1:

ffronw:
Compounding the issue, the Elysium team said on Twitter that they were facing six concurrent DDoS attacks.

What the fuck? Who the hell would do that? Fucking seriously?

Most likely Blizzard fanboys. If you got to talk to them you'd probably find their logic completely fucked. Some people just see an enemy and attack.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here