No Plans For Mass Effect: Andromeda on Nintendo Switch

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No Plans For Mass Effect: Andromeda on Nintendo Switch

mass-effect-andromeda-320

While EA doesn't completely rule out a Switch port of Mass Effect: Andromeda, there are no current plans.

Mass Effect: Andromeda, the latest Mass Effect title from EA Games and Bioware, is due out on PC, Xbox One and PS4 in 2017. You'll notice there's no Switch release date in there. When the Switch was revealed it seemed to be running Skyrim: Remastered, and reports are putting its computing power around the level of a PS4, but don't hold your breath for Andromeda on Switch, as EA has stated it doesn't have any plans.

"Yeah, not right now, no. We're not planning on it." BioWare producer Michael Gamble said. However, he did add that "If the Switch launches and everyone's just yammering for Mass Effect, who knows."

So there you go, Nintendo fans. Go out and buy a bunch of Switches and yammer for Mass Effect and you might just get it on the system! It's not a super great sign for the Switch, however, as Nintendo has always struggled with third-party support, and if too many take EA's "wait and see" approach, it may become a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

In the rest of his interview with Stevivor, Gamble added that while Andromeda will have PS4 Pro support, there are no plans for additional Scorpio features right now.

Source: Stevivor

Skyrim remastered eh? Yeah, because no company has ever fudged a demo.

Not surprised EA is playing Wait & See. Given what we know of the Switch's specs, I doubt the console could run a bath.

It's time Nintendo realised its just not cut out for making competitive consoles anymore, wrapped up the hardware side of its business and made a sweetheart deal with either Sony or M$ to exclusively release their games for. Considering the amount of Nintendo fanboys out there that would jump ship with them Nintendo could pretty much set their own terms.

Then we wouldn't have to put up with buying an underpowered POS that will never have reliable 3rd party support.

It would be a shock for me if they did put it on the Switch. Just not the way the wind has been blowing with Nintendo consoles over the last 3 generations... <.<

008Zulu:
Skyrim remastered eh? Yeah, because no company has ever fudged a demo.

Not surprised EA is playing Wait & See. Given what we know of the Switch's specs, I doubt the console could run a bath.

What DO we know about the specs? I've had trouble tracking down any kind of definite "These components are in the Switch" lists or articles.

008Zulu:

I doubt it could run a bath too...that's not what it's designed to do.

That said, I'll be getting MEA on PC even if it comes to Switch.

Redlin5:
It would be a shock for me if they did put it on the Switch. Just not the way the wind has been blowing with Nintendo consoles over the last 3 generations... <.<

To be fair they did put Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U with the free DLC.

But to be unfair, they never released "Omega", "Leviathan" and the weapon packs.

Nintendo surely miss the halcyon days when they could bitch slap third parties at will and take their lunch money. Now it is a has been that looks sadly while their former targets are all successful and out of its reach.

And so it begins again.
I'm sorry. Is anyone actually surprised?

Quellist:
It's time Nintendo realised its just not cut out for making competitive consoles anymore, wrapped up the hardware side of its business and made a sweetheart deal with either Sony or M$ to exclusively release their games for. Considering the amount of Nintendo fanboys out there that would jump ship with them Nintendo could pretty much set their own terms.

Then we wouldn't have to put up with buying an underpowered POS that will never have reliable 3rd party support.

They essentially did, the switch is a portable. Nintendo just stealthily left the console market.

Igor-Rowan:

Redlin5:

To be fair they did put Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U with the free DLC.

But to be unfair, they never released "Omega", "Leviathan" and the weapon packs.

To be fair, they also released the 1 year old buggy port for a full release price, while at the same time releasing the whole trilogy with all the DLC for all the games on the PS3 for cheaper. Then blamed Nintendo fans that it didn't sell well saying how Nintendo fans only buy Nintendo games and nothing else. While at the same time other 3rd party games selling pretty well on it.

EA butchered the port and used it as a excuse. ME3 wasn't worth even 10% of the asked price.

Apparently it is up to me to educate the unknowing masses.

The Nintendo Switch IS NOT A CONSOLE.

ITS NOT A CONSOLE, LIKE, AT ALL.

It is the most powerful handheld ever made by a country mile, and Nintendo will develop its library around that.

HANDHELD, NOT CONSOLE.

Furthermore, after the absolute joke that was ME3, I'm not sure I care where Andromeda is released lol.

Cold Shiny:

It is the most powerful handheld ever made by a country mile, and Nintendo will develop its library around that.

HANDHELD, NOT CONSOLE.

Furthermore, after the absolute joke that was ME3, I'm not sure I care where Andromeda is released lol.

Right, so where are the flagship Nintendo games going if not to the Switch? Do people really want to play handheld versions of Mario, Zelda and Metroid (I can hope) or do they want the full gaming experience that you only get with a console?

I know which i prefer...

My cynical mind is wondering if this is EA still being sore about Origin. Perhaps aided and abetted with memories of series like Dead Space being held hostage over customers not being sufficiently willing to "yammer" over microtransaction-laden sequels with gratuitous multiplayer.

The Switch can succeed without EA, if need be, but I'll grant it's not the best of early signs.

If you refuse to buy a Switch exclusively because of no ME:A you're kinda not that smart.

Quellist:

Cold Shiny:

HANDHELD, NOT CONSOLE.

Right, so where are the flagship Nintendo games going if not to the Switch? Do people really want to play handheld versions of Mario, Zelda and Metroid (I can hope) or do they want the full gaming experience that you only get with a console?

I know which i prefer...

Well as far as Nintendo is concerned, you don't matter, the audience in Japan does. The home console market is dying off in Japan and handhelds are the only thing that are selling well over there, mostly off the back of Monster Hunter and Pokemon. Most Japanese devs and publishers also don't have the resources to put into big budget triple-A titles for home consoles anymore, or if they do they have to make a game that primarily appeals to the foreign market in order to have a chance of making their money back. Nintendo themselves has struggled to put out a lot of content for the Wii U, a console with largely 7th gen specs, spelling doom for the console as third party support was virtually non-existent after the initial launch window. Nintendo are obviously not up to keeping up with the technological arms race, either in hardware or software, but don't want to formally withdraw from the home console market as that would look bad outside of Japan at least. I'd bet the only reason the Switch is even getting a TV dock is so that Nintendo could claim that it counts as a home console for markets outside of Japan, where that TV dock is unlikely to be used very often. Expect all of Nintendo's flagships from here on out to be designed around the limitations of mobile hardware.

Supernova1138:

Quellist:

Cold Shiny:

HANDHELD, NOT CONSOLE.

I know which i prefer...

Well as far as Nintendo is concerned, you don't matter, the audience in Japan does. The home console market is dying off in Japan and handhelds are the only thing that are selling well over there, mostly off the back of Monster Hunter and Pokemon. Most Japanese devs and publishers also don't have the resources to put into big budget triple-A titles for home consoles anymore, or if they do they have to make a game that primarily appeals to the foreign market in order to have a chance of making their money back. Nintendo themselves has struggled to put out a lot of content for the Wii U, a console with largely 7th gen specs, spelling doom for the console as third party support was virtually non-existent after the initial launch window. Nintendo are obviously not up to keeping up with the technological arms race, either in hardware or software, but don't want to formally withdraw from the home console market as that would look bad outside of Japan at least. I'd bet the only reason the Switch is even getting a TV dock is so that Nintendo could claim that it counts as a home console for markets outside of Japan, where that TV dock is unlikely to be used very often. Expect all of Nintendo's flagships from here on out to be designed around the limitations of mobile hardware.

Fair enough, i'll just have to hope Monolith jumps ship with the next Xeno title then i won't have to buy the wretched thing at all!

Supernova1138:

Well put, that's a good bit of perspective. One needs to look at the Xbox One sales in Japan and see just how poorly that's doing. Microsoft has plenty of 3rd party support and games being released for it, but the problem is that the demographics simply aren't the same in Japan. Consoles don't do nearly as well, cheaper portable games/systems sell infinitely better in Japan. I know I'm going to get a lot of use out of the dock personally, cause I dunno how much I wanna take an entire Switch out into the world (And it's not like I go anywhere often anyways), but I like the idea of them adding it.

Also, I'd be surprised if anyone said "No ME: Andromeda on the Switch?! Not buying it now!" cause I'm 99% sure if anyone does they're lying

Quellist:

Cold Shiny:

HANDHELD, NOT CONSOLE.

I know which i prefer...

To be honest, they are full gaming experiences. I prefer home consoles, but a lot of games they produce are just as good as their home console counter parts (graphics aside), so I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Super Mario 3d land is a full 3d Mario title, the Fire Emblem games are full game experiences, things like Bravely Default and Smash Bros even popped up on 3ds and perform well. Those are just a couple examples, I'm just not sure I follow is all.

The Switch in theory will be both, so it could very well be taking both their handheld and home console market and consolidating them in to one consumer base. All games available for all their customers of that generation, I think that's a great idea personally and you will be able to play them your preferred way, at home on a big screen etc or on the move.

Nobody buys Nintendo platforms to play EA games. Even people that play EA games seem quite doubtful of ME: Andromeda. Guess they're just cutting their losses to save the extra work and time. Push that 4k bollcks elsewhere.

Xsjadoblayde:
Nobody buys Nintendo platforms to play EA games. Even people that play EA games seem quite doubtful of ME: Andromeda. Guess they're just cutting their losses to save the extra work and time. Push that 4k bollcks elsewhere.

No one is disagreeing with that. Hell, I have no love for EA, and can't even tell you the last EA game I even played, much less bought.

But that's not what I'm looking at here. I'm looking at a third party publisher ignoring the platform with a game that you would assume they want to sell. I'm now waiting for other publishers to announce similar plans.

No matter what you think of any third party publisher, Nintendo needs third party support. They can't just ignore it. And despite what some may think, that lack of support has been slowly killing them in the console market. Just look at their sells with each generation. With the exception of the Wii, every console has sold significantly fewer units than the previous generation.

It's also not coming out on Scorpio.

Saltyk:

No one is disagreeing with that. Hell, I have no love for EA, and can't even tell you the last EA game I even played, much less bought.

But that's not what I'm looking at here. I'm looking at a third party publisher ignoring the platform with a game that you would assume they want to sell. I'm now waiting for other publishers to announce similar plans.

No matter what you think of any third party publisher, Nintendo needs third party support. They can't just ignore it. And despite what some may think, that lack of support has been slowly killing them in the console market. Just look at their sells with each generation. With the exception of the Wii, every console has sold significantly fewer units than the previous generation.

True, the third party is a necessary fuel for most. It's just if it was any other company with any other game, It would be easier to take this seriously as bad sign for Nintendo. EA are the most expected to take the cold feet approach with Nintendo and to be honest, I didn't even know they were planning to release a port of Andromeda on the Switch. Or any other of their IPs. They may not want their newest gamble sacrificing a "next-gen" shine on another gamble that could fail to justify the work put in. It isn't surprising, but it isn't particularly worrying either. Depends on what other publishers panic in the near future.

pearcinator:
That said, I'll be getting MEA on PC even if it comes to Switch.

I agree, and it does highlight Nintendo's failure over the last few generations of consoles; Not showing some love for 3rd party developers will continue to bite them in the ass.

Gordon_4:

What DO we know about the specs? I've had trouble tracking down any kind of definite "These components are in the Switch" lists or articles.

Over the course of the Switch's pre-life, there have been a multitude of leaks, most of which have been shown to be accurate. The leak of the console's hardware being a Maxwell based Tegra processor, statistically have a very high chance of being true. Now from what I have seen of the capabilities of this processor, is that is a 1.9Ghz quad core processor that supports up 16gb of RAM that is shared with the graphics processor. While this means it is capable of doing the cute cellshade graphics we have seen with Zelda, doing something like Andromeda (running on Frostbite) is well outside of it's capabilities. So unless EA make significant (costly) changes, it won't run.

Xsjadoblayde:

Saltyk:

True, the third party is a necessary fuel for most. It's just if it was any other company with any other game, It would be easier to take this seriously as bad sign for Nintendo. EA are the most expected to take the cold feet approach with Nintendo and to be honest, I didn't even know they were planning to release a port of Andromeda on the Switch. Or any other of their IPs. They may not want their newest gamble sacrificing a "next-gen" shine on another gamble that could fail to justify the work put in. It isn't surprising, but it isn't particularly worrying either. Depends on what other publishers panic in the near future.

what 3rd party publisher HAS confirmed their support for the switch? bethesda pulled back skyrim. now EA is confirming that andromeda (which WILL sell like hotcakes) isn't coming to switch.
but what do i know? I'm sure that the guys in Nintendo with a lot more experience than me surely know more. switch isnt for me either way. i havent bought a nintendo console since SNES. the games are just not for me.
also isnt an ea game not coming to the nintendo console the default state of affairs?

Gordon_4:

We know it runs custon NVIDIA hardware, and, all things considered, it's a reasonably-educated guess that it's probably gonna be Maxwell-based (as opposed to the current Pascal architecture).

chozo_hybrid:

Quellist:

Cold Shiny:

HANDHELD, NOT CONSOLE.

I know which i prefer...

To be honest, they are full gaming experiences. I prefer home consoles, but a lot of games they produce are just as good as their home console counter parts (graphics aside), so I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Super Mario 3d land is a full 3d Mario title, the Fire Emblem games are full game experiences, things like Bravely Default and Smash Bros even popped up on 3ds and perform well. Those are just a couple examples, I'm just not sure I follow is all.

The Switch in theory will be both, so it could very well be taking both their handheld and home console market and consolidating them in to one consumer base. All games available for all their customers of that generation, I think that's a great idea personally and you will be able to play them your preferred way, at home on a big screen etc or on the move.

My problem is it has that "By fanboys for Fanboys" Vibe. It's all very well if you only like Nintendo games but 3rd party support was pretty thin for the Wii U and it's likely to be even thinner for the Switch. Games Developers, especially Triple A, don't like the headache of having to pretty much remake their games to work on less powerful hardware and the fewer companies that bother the smaller the userbase outside of the hardcore nintendo fans.

As a guy with a job and enough money to game i can afford to buy a PS4 for mainstream games and a Wii U for Zelda/Xeno/mario etc but the average teenager is probably going to go for the console that gives them the most choice.

Bottom line is I don't see this being a viable console for anything except Nintendo games and IMO that's not enough.

Quellist:
Snip.

Ah, I clearly misunderstood what you meant. Yes, I agree, a lack of games could be an issue. The 3ds currently has a decent sized library, with stuff still coming out. If those devs work on Switch stuff, they may have a decent selection, but in the end you may be right.

Cold Shiny:

HANDHELD, NOT CONSOLE.

And this is why their stocks took a dive. See, there's a finite number of tablet sized devices that the avergage person is willing to lug around. That number is 1. THusly they will gravitate to teh ones that offer the greatest utility. The switch while excellent for games, can't do anything else.

In short. The switch will likely fail for the same reasons the Vita did.

Quellist:

Cold Shiny:

HANDHELD, NOT CONSOLE.

I know which i prefer...

You...you ARE aware that handheld versions of ALL those games have been around for awhile now right?

MonsterCrit:

A lack of support from the parent company? Cause that's what killed the Vita.

Metalix Knightmare:

Don't forget the insanely high propitiatory memory card prices. That pretty much killed a lot of people's interest in the Vita. I can remember EVERYONE talking about how the Sony NGP was going to dethrone Nintendo as the king of handhelds. Back on topic, I think we should wait until the presentation before we make any judgement.

Metalix Knightmare:

Quellist:

Cold Shiny:

HANDHELD, NOT CONSOLE.

I know which i prefer...

You...you ARE aware that handheld versions of ALL those games have been around for awhile now right?

MonsterCrit:

Yes i am aware of that, but the flagship versions of most of those games are console exclusive (I'm also aware, unlike yourself apparently, that caps lock is not the cruise control for cool).

Quellist:

Metalix Knightmare:

Quellist:

I know which i prefer...

MonsterCrit:

Yes i am aware of that, but the flagship versions of most of those games are console exclusive (I'm also aware, unlike yourself apparently, that caps lock is not the cruise control for cool).

And apparently the flagship games for these series are gonna be on the Switch. Do you have an actual point to make, or are you just throwing accusations and insults at Nintendo to see what actually sticks?

As an aside, the line "caps lock is not the cruise control for cool" is supposed to be used against posts that are nothing but capital letters. Not a post that has only two words capitalized for the sake of putting emphasis on the words.

I can't say I'm surprised by EA's choice. It's not just making the game for the Switch, they also have the challenge to make sure the game runs at well (and looks decent) at the 40% lower system power when the system is undocked.

For me what kills my interest in the mobile side of the Switch is the peripherals I'll have to take with it.

I recently bought a GPD XD, a Android based handheld that looks suspiciously like a Nintendo DS. The battery life is amazing, I have a huge library of Android and emulated games to play, and all I need to take with me is the device itself. Compare that to the Switch where a controller is likely to be a necessity and the battery life will mean I need to take a charger with me as well.

For me I see the Switch's biggest rival being Nintendo's own handhelds. The graphics won't be as good but you'll still have great games without the need to bring extras with you.

Andromeda is the least of the Switch's worries.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.