The JoyCon Holder Included With Nintendo Switch Doesn't Charge

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The JoyCon Holder Included With Nintendo Switch Doesn't Charge

joycon_controller_map

If you want to charge your Nintendo Switch JoyCons while playing you'll have to shell out $30 for a charging grip.

A bit of bad news regarding the Nintendo Switch's fancy new JoyCon controllers. While playing the console in portable mode, with the controllers connected to each side of the tablet unit, will charge them, if you are playing the game in TV mode with the JoyCon's connected to the grip that comes bundled with the unit, will not. You'll have to go ahead and shell out $30 for the official charging grip if you want to play and charge at the same time.

Essentially, the basic JoyCon grip included with the console is simply a plastic shell with no additional features. It's the same as simply holding one JoyCon controller in each hand.

Nintendo's official site lists the Joy-Con's battery life as "about 20 hours", although notes this may become shorter with use over time. The two Joy-Con take 3.5 hours to charge - whether attached to the Switch itself or the premium Joy-Con charging grip accessory.

Something to consider when purchasing the console.

Source: Eurogamer

This article is confusing and kinda misleading I think.

I mean...duh? Phone cases also dont charge phones.

At first I thought that having them on the Switch did nt charge them, but apparently the covers dont charge them and...did anyone think they would?

Well done Nintendo, just when I thought you couldn't get any lower. I suppose it would have bankrupted you to put $0.10 worth of electronics in that empty shell so the user could plug in a USB cable to charge it that way. But I suppose that'd be too convenient eh?

Can't really say I have a problem with this presuming the initial cost is lower thanks to it's absence.

It'd be nice as a backup if you forgot to charge them, but this seems like a non issue if you connect the things when not playing every now and then.

I must say...Jim's episode on the Switch today was a really good one. :^)

RJ 17:
I must say...Jim's episode on the Switch today was a really good one. :^)

Nintendo will just keep on Nintendoing on...

I didn't think the battery or the connection to charge it was in those things anyway. Why would it be? This confuses me.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just watched the latest Jimquisition and apparently those things do more than I thought they did. Still a little confused though.

I can understand it increasing the price of the system but, this is pretty stupid.

Saelune:

At first I thought that having them on the Switch did nt charge them, but apparently the covers dont charge them and...did anyone think they would?

Not the cover things that add shoulder buttons, the 'controller' shell that you slide them into in console mode. Nintendo advertised that feature a while back I think but it seems they really wanted to cut costs.

Canadamus Prime:
I didn't think the battery or the connection to charge it was in those things anyway. Why would it be? This confuses me.

Because if in Console Mode, you'd actually have to stop playing entirely if you want to charge the damn things.

Unless you mean the little shoulder button covers. Yeah, those don't. Nintendo having a bunch of names for all of the accessories is making describing what is what a total nightmare.

LegendaryGamer0:
I can understand it increasing the price of the system but, this is pretty stupid.

Saelune:

Not the cover things that add shoulder buttons, the 'controller' shell that you slide them into in console mode. Nintendo advertised that feature a while back I think but it seems they really wanted to cut costs.

Canadamus Prime:

Because if in Console Mode, you'd actually have to stop playing entirely if you want to charge the damn things.

Unless you mean the little shoulder button covers. Yeah, those don't. Nintendo having a bunch of names for all of the accessories is making describing what is what a total nightmare.

*shrug* That's what I do when playing my Wii U anyway. Still Nintendo's been pretty damn stupid lately.

So now the console is from what I can gather looking at preorders €330 and if I want to charge the controllers while I play that'll be another €30 and the game price point seems to be about €70-75. I was actually super hyped for the Switch. Now maybe I'll pick up one second hand for Christmas 2018.

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/

Was the drama really necessary? Because the article had me panicked that the Joy-Cons wouldn't be charging while connected to the Nintendo Switch Console. It's easily stated by Nintendo that the Switch has the cheaper Joy-Con Grip while the Joy-Con Charging Grip is sold separately.

On the other hand I'd like to get dramatic over the fact that I haven't seen the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller available for pre-order. I wouldn't dare buy a Nintendo Switch without also buying this controller. Because I rather not unplug the Joy-Cons from the Nintendo Switch Console

"While playing the console in portable mode, with the controllers connected to each side of the tablet unit, will charge them, if you are playing the game in TV mode with the JoyCon's connected to the grip that comes bundled with the unit, will not." - What is this terribly muddled English! 'While' needs to be replaced by 'Whilst'; "with the controllers connected..." could benefit from some optional parentheses for clarity, and 'will not' doesn't even fit at all - 'they will not charge' is a suitable replacement.

An inconvenience, but not a huge one. If the 20 hours of battery life is true, even if that gets halved during the life of the console all it really amounts to is making a habit of putting them back on the portable screen when you're done playing.

Which... Why wouldn't you?

Of course... $30 for $5 of material that should be there anyway. Why not scalp the customers? I mean, if Apple can do it...

I honestly don't understand why they're skimping so much when it's the same price as a PS4 Slim and pretty woeful in regards to power.

Oooooor, you could just buy a 3rd party one that costs less than 1/2 the price.

Besides, this is Nintendo; the same company that couldn't even be bothered to pack in a fucking CHARGING CABLE with their 3DS handhelds. Scalpers, the lot of 'em.

I am starting to think nintendo fans suffer from some odd form of Stockholm Syndrome.

Kajin:
An inconvenience, but not a huge one. If the 20 hours of battery life is true, even if that gets halved during the life of the console all it really amounts to is making a habit of putting them back on the portable screen when you're done playing.

it adds the two unnecessary steps of kneeling near the console and taking the .... joycons (god i hate that name) and also kneeling and putting them back.

Goddammit Nintendo.

Ugh, I mean, it figures, considering that the stupid holder for the thing is just a plastic shell, but...

This is an added annoyance.

TheMajesticSpaceDuck:
So now the console is from what I can gather looking at preorders ?330 and if I want to charge the controllers while I play that'll be another ?30 and the game price point seems to be about ?70-75. I was actually super hyped for the Switch. Now maybe I'll pick up one second hand for Christmas 2018.

Depends on where you live because sales tax aka VAT is different in your country to mine
For me its 309 for the console, fairly sure the charging thing is 30 still(i can deal with the 20 hour battery life so i dont think im gonna get it either way) and the games being 70-75? wut? havn't seen this anywhere, just the normal 60 eu like it is on every other console.

Kajin:

This is my estimation too. The cons and the tablet are a cohesive whole. There's very little reason for them to be away from each other for any large amount of time. It's just... like it's common sense, isn't it? Am I one of the 5 people in the world that automatically assumed this?

Rastrelly:
I am starting to think nintendo fans suffer from some odd form of Stockholm Syndrome.

They're afraid if they say bad things Nintendo won't let them have another mario, zelda, or pokemon game.

jayzz911:

TheMajesticSpaceDuck:
So now the console is from what I can gather looking at preorders ?330 and if I want to charge the controllers while I play that'll be another ?30 and the game price point seems to be about ?70-75. I was actually super hyped for the Switch. Now maybe I'll pick up one second hand for Christmas 2018.

Depends on where you live because sales tax aka VAT is different in your country to mine
For me its 309 for the console, fairly sure the charging thing is 30 still(i can deal with the 20 hour battery life so i dont think im gonna get it either way) and the games being 70-75? wut? havn't seen this anywhere, just the normal 60 eu like it is on every other console.

Ireland. 70-75 is the standard price for games here. Checkout GameStop.ie

I don't recall if they did this with the WiiU, but I do remember them doing this with the Wii.

It was stupid then, and it's stupid now.

I understand that some accessories will have to be bought on the side in order to cut the cost somewhat, but Nintendo is notorious for making you buy a lot of extras.

Then again, they did make you buy the charger for the 3DS, so I don't know what their fucking problem is anymore.

Do I need to buy it if I want to charge my joycons?

Rastrelly:

You're just starting? I feel like I've known that since N64 versus PlayStation.

RaikuFA:

No. If you're not actively using them you can just put them back on the Switch and they'll charge.

You know. Like the Wii U gamepad does.

If you put your shit back when you're done with it, this will not bother you. If you leave your crap laying around everywhere, you could save yourself $30 and just stop doing that.

Paragon Fury:

RaikuFA:

No. If you're not actively using them you can just put them back on the Switch and they'll charge.

You know. Like the Wii U gamepad does.

If you put your shit back when you're done with it, this will not bother you. If you leave your crap laying around everywhere, you could save yourself $30 and just stop doing that.

Good. I at least put it back/charge it overnight.

This brings back the good old days of Wii U misinformation.

Jacked Assassin:

Rastrelly:

You're just starting? I feel like I've known that since N64 versus PlayStation.

I usually avoid reading console-related news, but this thing got to annoying to ignore T__T

sagitel:

Kajin:

it adds the two unnecessary steps of kneeling near the console and taking the .... joycons (god i hate that name) and also kneeling and putting them back.

This is difficult?

It feels like you and the other people in this thread are just nitpicking for reasons to be upset. I mean, there are better reasons to be upset at Nintendo's Switch plan (the paid subscription with no tangible benefits over the competition springs to mind. Honestly just a paid subscription at all. The Wii U is the only console I've played online since the PS3. Come on Nintendo why the fuck did you have to go and fuck that up?!).

Hasn't this been a thing with consoles? X box controllers where you need to buy the play n charge kit, PS3 Controllers without rumble for no reason, etc

Were people expecting this?

I'm actually not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious if people were expecting the shell to charge, because general controller setups don't work this way on any of the systems.

Both PS4 and Xbox are set up to charge, unplug, play, plug back in. Neither of them come with cables long enough to practically play while still charging, not unless you like to stand two feet away from your system while you play. Wii controllers had zero ability to charge while you play even if you bought a charger, and they ate batteries like a beast. So did 360 controllers unless you, surprise surprise, bought a charging kit.

So lets stop for a second and really think about this. Do you have any reason to leave the Joycons anywhere but docked on the Switch and charging when not in use, and are you really going to use the Switch in docked mode for longer in one sitting then that charge will last? I mean, I know Breath of the Wild looks really good and all, but that good?

And if your play sessions are long enough to put a dent in their charge time, there's a good chance you're the type who'd buy a Pro Controller anyways. Now yes, the Pro Controller is stupidly priced, there isn't really much that'll excuse it. I can almost understand using it as a way to recoup a loss taken on the hardware itself, because manufacturers do that all the time early in a system's life, but considering people already have a problem with the controller pricepoint it probably wasn't worth the PR hit. However, it's also important not to forget that it's still only about half the price of Microsoft's special alternate controller, so this is both not a unique problem unfortunate though it may be, and more importantly not something that people seemed to care about back when Microsoft did it.

There are legitimate concerns to have about the Switch, whether you think it looks promising or not. There's still a lot, a lot a lot, of questions to answer about it's online functionality, and especially it's pricepoint, and what we've heard so far hasn't exactly been thrilling. There are still more than a bit of performance benchmarking that'd be really nice to see, even if the initial reports are encouraging. And there's always the hanging question over any new system of whether or not Nintendo is going to properly support it over it's lifespan even if the hardware itself is perfectly fine.

But let's try not to jump down the throat of every little minor grievance or borderline inconvenience just because they aren't starting us off on the best foot. At the absolute least, Microsoft didn't reverse always-online because everyone was complaining about how they didn't like the color or the asymmetrical sticks.

Which is actually my biggest complaint about the Joycons. I prefer symmetrical sticks.

I swear Nintendo, you are like the Apple of gaming.

sagitel:

Oh no, I might need to move slightly to charge the things when I'm not using them. Not like most folk do this with their phones when they need to.

It'd be nice if the controller charged the Joycons and we didn't have to pay money for one that does, but let's not be so damn lazy and make this sound like a big deal. Just put the Joycons back in the system when you're done. Excuse the obvious sarcasm, but it'll be impossible to convince me this sort of thing is hard to do.

Kajin:
This is difficult?

Apparently

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.