Report: Deadpool Director to Helm Terminator Reboot

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Report: Deadpool Director to Helm Terminator Reboot

Schwarzenegger Terminator

The rights to the iconic series return to James Cameron in 2019, who is reportedly planning a reboot.

Deadline is reporting that iconic franchise Terminator is getting a reboot, with original director James Cameron to oversee production, and Deadpool director Tim Miller to direct.

Apparently, the rights to the franchise return to Cameron in 2019 - a full 34 years after the release of the original movie. Sources say that Cameron and Miller are in talks to produce a movie that finally, definitely, puts an end to the war between humans and machines.

Back in 1984, rookie director Cameron - who only had Piranha 2 under his belt as director - sold rights to Terminator for just $1 to producer Gale Anne Hurd, with the stipulation he could not be fired as director.

Cameron went on to write and direct Terminator 2 but after that largely washed his hands of the series. The exception was on the last picture, 2015's Terminator Genisys. Perhaps because his old friend Schwarzenegger had returned as the title character, Cameron was generous in his assessment, reportedly saying that the Alan Taylor-directed film had reinvigorated and created a renaissance for the franchise.

At this point we don't know if Cameron's new movie will be a full reboot, starting everything over from scratch, or simply another installment in the franchise.

Source: Deadline

Rectifying the last 2 movies eh James boy?

I wonder if it will be billion dollar box office smash?

yay we get the origin story all over again

Hopefully, he'll take this opportunity to set it entirely in the future as planned before the budget changed his mind, with or without the Conner characters.

Almost as if this franchise can't be reasoned with, can't be bargained with, and absolutely will not stop. Ever! Until you are dead!

There's something vaguely poetic about a film franchise about how time travel is ultimately futile and the mistakes of the future are bound to happen regardless of how many times you go back to "fix things" being rebooted...

Casual Shinji:
Almost as if this franchise can't be reasoned with, can't be bargained with, and absolutely will not stop. Ever! Until you are dead!

Brownie points!

That said, I'm kind of wary of this. Genisys worked as hard as possible to fraction off the series' continuum and create a new timeline of events in a way that's even more convoluted than what Rise of the Machines attempted, so... Where can they possibly go from now?

Plus, Arnie's getting up there in years. I doubt the Terminator franchise could survive someone *else* being picked for a ticket-selling T-800's external organic envelope.

Still, I'd always welcome Vin Diesel or Dwayne Johnson in Full Expressionless Juggernaut mode.

A real shame they're rebooting it, they did the same with Genisys but did so by working with the mechanics of the series itself. Genisys was surprisingly great and looked like it was going somewhere interesting, but if the reboot is half as good as that was it'll be worth watching at least.

IamLEAM1983:

Plus, Arnie's getting up there in years. I doubt the Terminator franchise could survive someone *else* being picked for a ticket-selling T-800's external organic envelope.

Still, I'd always welcome Vin Diesel or Dwayne Johnson in Full Expressionless Juggernaut mode.

Ooh! Or maybe it's time for fiction to become reality!
Actually that would probably be not so good, but it would be funny at least.

Yes because what we really need this year is yet another reboot of a franchise that's already a craptacular mess...I think i'd rather see Paul Blart 3!

Jump ship dude! Don't do this to yourself and your career. Surely you must KNOW that this will be a shitshow!?

I can't decide which one I want to see less. A movie adaptation of Sonic the Hedgehog or another Terminator movie.

Terminator is on the top of my list of movies that they need to stop making sequels for. Alien is a close second.

A re-re-reboot. Sure, why not. It's official; Hollywood is now completely and utterly out of fresh ideas.

The Rogue Wolf:
A re-re-reboot. Sure, why not. It's official; Hollywood is now completely and utterly out of fresh ideas.

You mean it wasn't out of ideas when they rebooted Spiderman again?

Or when they made Battleship into a movie?

Call me when we get a Battleship reboot.

As if Cameron doesn't have enough on his plate already. Now we'll wait forever for [insert project Cameron's name's attached to here]!
But hey, you know who has an idea for a fresh new take on Terminator? MovieBob:

Steven Bogos:

Apparently, the rights to the franchise return to Cameron in 2019 - a full 34 years after the release of the original movie. Sources say that Cameron and Miller are in talks to produce a movie that finally, definitely, puts an end to the war between humans and machines.

They already did. It was called "Terminator 2". It ended things rather nicely, and rather definitively. Unfortunately, it turned out that the power of narrative cohesion could not defeat the strength of the Almighty Dollar, and a sequel was made, justified with one of the most embarrassing attempts at a retcon in the history of storytelling.

Also, if this is following the film that "reinvigorated and created a renaissance for the franchise", it will not definitely do a single damn thing. Art doesn't matter; there's money to be made!

Darth_Payn:
As if Cameron doesn't have enough on his plate already. Now we'll wait forever for [insert project Cameron's name's attached to here]!

The savior of the world is a black female scientist; the threat is a anti-science male dudebro. Good to know his departure from the Escapist hasn't changed Bob much...

But, y'know, I'd almost be willing to go that route if it was willing to do something really edgy. Say, the villain succeeds... And the absence of the pro-science future that would have created time travel in the first place creates such a temporal paradox that it destroys the world. Everyone loses.

(Yeah... Good luck getting that past a "high concept" meeting with studio bean counters.)

-

As far as Cameron coming back to the series, I'm going to try not to hold the "Genisys will re-invigorate the franchise" thing against him. And I'd even go so far as to say that if anyone can bring the thing back to life, it's probably JC. (Hey, he's got the initials.)

...But that "if anyone" isn't rhetorical; I'm not at all sure that anyone can undo the burdens of Genisys and Salvation, even by writing them off as non-canon. I'm just not sure what Cameron could do to spark interest in a property that has doled out so much disappointment of late. One too many field heart transplant surgeries in a world without antibiotics, one too many sub-sub-sub contingency plans from Skynet, about a thousand too many "because... reasons, look, just go with it" moments.

Steven Bogos:

Deadline is reporting that iconic franchise Terminator is getting a reboot,

Well, that's not too bad. I mean, I can't even call it a reboot really, since multiple Terminator timelines exist.

Steven Bogos:
with original director James Cameron to oversee production,

Ooh, that sounds good. While I like Salvation and Genisys (the less said about Rise of the Machines and Sarah Connor Chronicles the better), they're not on the same level as the first. If there has to be a Terminator film, then if Cameron's producing, it might have a chance of being good.

Steven Bogos:
and Deadpool director Tim Miller to direct.

...and that chance promptly got thrown out the window. :(

Samtemdo8:

...seriously? Salvation and Genisys are the movies that need to be "recitifed," while Rise of the Machines gets off scott free?

IamLEAM1983:

That said, I'm kind of wary of this. Genisys worked as hard as possible to fraction off the series' continuum and create a new timeline of events in a way that's even more convoluted than what Rise of the Machines attempted, so... Where can they possibly go from now?

Start somewhere new.

I understand I'm in the minority for liking Genisys and Salvation, but the thing is, credits teaser aside, I never thought Genisys even needed a continuation. In this timeline, for all intents and purposes, Skynet/Genisys is stopped, and Sarah and Reese get to live out their lives peacefully (in a way, the lack of a Genisys continuation kind of adds to this). The reason why I can't get miffed about any Terminator reboot (as opposed to, say, Alien 5 being set to overright Alien 3/Resurrection) is that the series is based on the concept of multiple timelines.

IamLEAM1983:

I agree there. Nothing about Terminator dictates that Arnie has to be the titular Terminator. It was iffy enough in T2, that a model 101 just HAPPENS to be the model sent back, but fine, I'll buy it. T3 had to contrive it again, making the John of the future look like an idiot. In Salvation, I thought it was well done though - we get to see Arnie be a villain again, and if that's the first T-800 ever deployed, then model 101 makes sense to be the first one seen (if the model line actually starts there or something). In Genisys, things get really silly though.

Darth_Payn:

I saw that. It was terrible.

I mean, seriously, the premise is that some muscle guy doesn't like a utopian future, so goes back in time to kill a person who plays some role in creating said utopian future, when the entire premise of said utopian future is that it comes across naturally through the development of technology at a more steady pace? I mean, he is right that the series kind of just forgot Blythe Dyson exists, but even so, the entire premise is nonensical.

Hawki:

Darth_Payn:

I mean, seriously, the premise is that some muscle guy doesn't like a utopian future, so goes back in time to kill a person who plays some role in creating said utopian future, when the entire premise of said utopian future is that it comes across naturally through the development of technology at a more steady pace? I mean, he is right that the series kind of just forgot Blythe Dyson exists, but even so, the entire premise is nonensical.

My god, it IS terrible. It's also a retread. Another movie about a bodyguard terminator protecting the heroine from the machine genetically jacked up villain?

I agree that T2 never needed a sequel. The only thing you can do with this franchise is reboot it. But I'd rather they just made something like a spiritual successor, an original film.

Hawki:

Steven Bogos:

Deadline is reporting that iconic franchise Terminator is getting a reboot,

Well, that's not too bad. I mean, I can't even call it a reboot really, since multiple Terminator timelines exist.

Steven Bogos:
with original director James Cameron to oversee production,

Ooh, that sounds good. While I like Salvation and Genisys (the less said about Rise of the Machines and Sarah Connor Chronicles the better), they're not on the same level as the first. If there has to be a Terminator film, then if Cameron's producing, it might have a chance of being good.

Steven Bogos:
and Deadpool director Tim Miller to direct.

...and that chance promptly got thrown out the window. :(

Samtemdo8:

...seriously? Salvation and Genisys are the movies that need to be "recitifed," while Rise of the Machines gets off scott free?

IamLEAM1983:

Start somewhere new.

I understand I'm in the minority for liking Genisys and Salvation, but the thing is, credits teaser aside, I never thought Genisys even needed a continuation. In this timeline, for all intents and purposes, Skynet/Genisys is stopped, and Sarah and Reese get to live out their lives peacefully (in a way, the lack of a Genisys continuation kind of adds to this). The reason why I can't get miffed about any Terminator reboot (as opposed to, say, Alien 5 being set to overright Alien 3/Resurrection) is that the series is based on the concept of multiple timelines.

IamLEAM1983:

I agree there. Nothing about Terminator dictates that Arnie has to be the titular Terminator. It was iffy enough in T2, that a model 101 just HAPPENS to be the model sent back, but fine, I'll buy it. T3 had to contrive it again, making the John of the future look like an idiot. In Salvation, I thought it was well done though - we get to see Arnie be a villain again, and if that's the first T-800 ever deployed, then model 101 makes sense to be the first one seen (if the model line actually starts there or something). In Genisys, things get really silly though.

Darth_Payn:

Because I never thought the 3rd movie was that bad, infact its the least bad movie of the post Judgement Day Terminator moives.

Samtemdo8:

Because I never thought the 3rd movie was that bad, infact its the least bad movie of the post Judgement Day Terminator moives.

If you're going to quote me, could you please just do it for the actual quote rather than do it wholesale?

As for that, well, different opinions and all that. On some level, Rise of the Machines is arguably better made than Salvation or Genisys. On the other hand, not only is it basically a retread of T2 (and an uninspired one at that), but it also basically undercuts the entire theme of the series - Judgement Day was inevitable, the future IS written, everything in T2 was a waste of time, etc. Salvation at least tried to be its own thing, and while Genisys does retread a lot of ground, it does so in a way that's relevant to the plot.

For me, it's a case of T2>T1>T5>T4>T3, with a clear jump in quality between the first two films and the other three.

Hawki:

Samtemdo8:

If you're going to quote me, could you please just do it for the actual quote rather than do it wholesale?

Its really hard to edit out all the quotes you made without making a mistake in the post.

BuildsLegos:
Hopefully, he'll take this opportunity to set it entirely in the future as planned before the budget changed his mind, with or without the Conner characters.

I would love to see a Terminator film set in the Machine War.

But it would have to be properly set in the Machine War, not Salvation's take where the Humans apparently have nuclear submarines, airfields and enough fuel and supplies to have standing patrols of A-10s just flying around the desert for no good reason.

2 hours of Kyle Reece's nightmares from T1 given life (although whether Reece or Connor are even in it is open to debate). Also with a proper rating, Terminator doesn't work in PG13.

I don't think restarting it will make it any better, the franchise has been run in to the ground.

I honestly just wanted them to continue where Terminator Salvation left off. Mainly because I liked that film back then and preferred seeing more of the future and seeing it conclude with a closed loop. But hey, I can't always get everything.

fix-the-spade:

BuildsLegos:

I would love to see a Terminator film set in the Machine War.

But it would have to be properly set in the Machine War, not Salvation's take where the Humans apparently have nuclear submarines, airfields and enough fuel and supplies to have standing patrols of A-10s just flying around the desert for no good reason.

2 hours of Kyle Reece's nightmares from T1 given life (although whether Reece or Connor are even in it is open to debate). Also with a proper rating, Terminator doesn't work in PG13.

I'd like to see one set AFTER the war for once, get some idea of how humanity is trying to rebuild after the war has ended and what happens to the now leaderless machines many of which are capable of developing independent thought if they don't have it already. In fact, I'd love to see an open world video game based around the concept (made by Bethesda or maybe CD Projekt naturally).

Wat?

The hell happened to the last reboot?

Steven Bogos:

At this point we don't know if Cameron's new movie will be a full reboot, starting everything over from scratch, or simply another installment in the franchise.

So maybe not use "REBOOT" as headline? Especially since it really seems that few people read past headlines anymore.

Bob_McMillan:
Wat?

The hell happened to the last reboot?

It kinda Bombed...Hard.

As someone who works in a cinema (UK) Genysis didn't sell a lot at all.

Buizel91:

It kinda Bombed...Hard.

As someone who works in a cinema (UK) Genysis didn't sell a lot at all.

Actually Genisys didn't bomb really, it made 440 million dollars worldwide (and that's just the theatrical release) the only one of the Terminator movies that made more money was Terminator 2. It's just that the production and marketing budget was too high for it to break even despite that. It really shows just how insane movie budgets have become when 440 million dollars isn't considered a smashing success.

Why won't they just let it rest? Terminator movies haven't been critical successes since the 90s, and Genisys bombed. Plus, the whole franchise is inseparably linked to Schwarzenegger, who isn't really that up to snuff in being an action star anymore. Can't we get a new franchise? I'd like to see that happen for once: instead of sticking a franchise name on a movie (like with Prometheus), you make a reboot movie in a franchise, and then take the label off. Wouldn't that be something?

So we had a Robocop reboot and now we are going to get a Terminator reboot.... is their any chance that we could just get a movie in which these two go head to head. I mean really could it be any worse than doing bad reboots of once great movies?

Quellist:
Yes because what we really need this year is yet another reboot of a franchise that's already a craptacular mess...I think i'd rather see Paul Blart 3!

I know emotions are running high but please let's not jump off the deep end of sanity! :D

KissingSunlight:
I can't decide which one I want to see less. A movie adaptation of Sonic the Hedgehog or another Terminator movie.

Terminator is on the top of my list of movies that they need to stop making sequels for. Alien is a close second.

Amen. I'm of the (unpopular) opnion that both Aliens and T2: Judgement Day were wholly unnecessary films.

Honestly, just give up on both franchises. The RoboCop and Total Recall reboots were hot garbage. What are the odds this will be any good?

Chewster:

KissingSunlight:

Amen. I'm of the (unpopular) opnion that both Aliens and T2: Judgement Day were wholly unnecessary films.

Honestly, just give up on both franchises. The RoboCop and Total Recall reboots were hot garbage. What are the odds this will be any good?

Unneccessary,.Yes. Damned Entertaining. Hell Yeah. But I think the problem is, we've entered a revisionist period of films. The whole. Put an end to the war thing. Hah. Yeah. that's what he says now. 600mill at the domestic box office later and oh look, we have a not sequal spin off that follows the aftermath of the first, with references t and perhaps the characters. But it's still not a sequel.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here