The Nintendo Switch is Satoru Iwata's Final Legacy

The Nintendo Switch is Satoru Iwata's Final Legacy

satoru iwata

Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto says that the late Satoru Iwata was ultimately the head of development on the Nintendo Switch.

Satoru Iwata, the much-loved former president of Nintendo, passed away in 2015. However, according to legendary developer Shigeru Miyamoto, Iwata had a considerable amount of input on the Nintendo Switch, which launches later this year.

"Mr. Iwata, Mr. Takeda and myself provided feedback and made decisions, but ultimately Mr. Iwata was the head of development, so he put a lot of thought and time into Switch," Miyamoto told Time Magazine. "I think that the idea of Nintendo Switch being a device you can take out and anywhere, and the idea of it being a system that really allows networking and communicating with people, I think that's something Mr. Iwata put a lot of emphasis on."

"Because Mr. Iwata was tech-savvy, a lot of our discussion involved trying to figure out how to make the technical things like network capabilities or servers or whatever fun. For example, think about when we added the ability to use a browser on the DS. As time goes on, all of these services become more and more advanced, and so we need to think about 'How do we incorporate mobile devices or new browser features that come up?' That's something Mr. Iwata and I discussed a lot, really trying to decide what to do and what not to do in our hardware."

So this means that the Switch will be Iwata's "final legacy" of sorts, and even though he unfortunately won't be around to see its release, it still has his influence.

Source: Time Magazine

If only his ideas included modding, backwards compatibility, less pathetic Novide hardware, an X86-64 design(yes, hard I know), emulation and upgrade-ability... would have been a great legacy.

Alas.

Taking that with a pinch of salt. Nintendo might as well be calling on the fans' good will in the name of Iwata.

Johnny Novgorod:
Taking that with a pinch of salt. Nintendo might as well be calling on the fans' good will in the name of Iwata.

Ya think?
"YOu will love and worshhip this device lest you make angel Iwata cry."
I didn't think Nintendo could make me cringe more. I dunno if it's them wringing the last drops of good will or... or...Miyamoto trying to distance himself from the device.

'Ultimately' is a funny word.

In order to take The Switch anywhere, you will need to lug around a few kilos worth of those portable chargers for it, and your phone. Wi-Fi tethering off a phone's data drains the battery hella quick.

This is technically stating the obvious as it takes years to make a new console. Despite that though simply stating it almost makes me want to skip the Switch simply because I know the Wii U sucked so much it couldn't outsell the PS Vita.

To be quite fair, it was Time making a big deal about it, not Nintendo.

Oh Iwata. How I hope your last mark on the world remains strong.

Charcharo:
If only his ideas included modding, backwards compatibility, less pathetic Novide hardware, an X86-64 design(yes, hard I know), emulation and upgrade-ability... would have been a great legacy.

Alas.

So, a PC.

008Zulu:
In order to take The Switch anywhere, you will need to lug around a few kilos worth of those portable chargers for it, and your phone. Wi-Fi tethering off a phone's data drains the battery hella quick.

Smaller and cheaper than you think, but still a bit more cumbersome.

I hate that I'm being reminded of Gunpei Yokoi.

If this is to be Iwata's legacy...

I feel sorry for him. It's a disgrace to go down like this.

LegendaryGamer0:
still a bit more cumbersome.

Since Nintendo loathe releasing hard technical data, we won't know for sure how many of these you will need to get a "full days" worth of gaming.

I think his contribution to Pokemon Gold/Silver in which he helped include Kanto into the games will mean to me more in the long run than the development work on a tablet style console I can neither afford or desire.

So I can appreciate he spent a lot of time on it but that alone isn't a selling point...

Steven Bogos:
"I think that the idea of Nintendo Switch ... being a system that really allows networking and communicating with people, I think that's something Mr. Iwata put a lot of emphasis on."

"For example, think about when we added the ability to use a browser on the DS. ... so we need to think about 'How do we incorporate mobile devices or new browser features that come up?'..."

I highly, HIGHLY doubt Iwata's answer to internet on switch would have been "No browser 'cause lol".
He would have probably forced a browser on Switch, just like he did on DS, 3DS, Wii and WiiU, no matter the issues that would follow. You can't communicate with people without a browser to handle all trends and yet-to-come killer-app websites.

This no-browser decision comes most likely from a financial guy, who didn't want to dedicate/pay a dev team on a side-dish app.
Putting it on Iwata is low, if not disgraceful.

LegendaryGamer0:
Oh Iwata. How I hope your last mark on the world remains strong.

Charcharo:

Alas.

So, a PC.

008Zulu:

Smaller and cheaper than you think, but still a bit more cumbersome.

Yes. Basically I want a PC from Nintendo. A conslow will never be any good no matter what hardware or features it has, it is useless.

This reeks corpse-riding to me, regardless if Switch was really late mr. Iwata's last project.

Charcharo:

Yes. Basically I want a PC from Nintendo. A conslow will never be any good no matter what hardware or features it has, it is useless.

Why the heck would you want a PC from Nintendo, if you can buy it from any different company? Or build it yourself.

So, does anyone else feel like they got to remind Nintendo that owning a game system is about playing fun games? I have no idea what the point of all the wrist waggling is if they can't even get decent games on the system. No one remembers the N64 because of the rumble vest or the crazy rumble addon they threw into the controllers. They remember it for mario 64, Turok, all the Rareware games like Golden Eye 007, etc.

Steven Bogos:
"I think that the idea of Nintendo Switch being a device you can take out and anywhere, and the idea of it being a system that really allows networking and communicating with people, I think that's something Mr. Iwata put a lot of emphasis on."

-Allows networking and communicating with people
-Release console without voice chat unless using a cell phone app

Pick one.

MrCalavera:
This reeks corpse-riding to me, regardless if Switch was really late mr. Iwata's last project.

Charcharo:

Why the heck would you want a PC from Nintendo, if you can buy it from any different company? Or build it yourself.

The truth is, I want the end of Conslows in general. Useless toys that milk stupid Westerners, that is all they do :(

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here