Nintendo Switch Won't Have Virtual Console at Launch

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nintendo Switch Won't Have Virtual Console at Launch

The Nintendo Switch is set to arrive next Friday, and we're still learning new things about the upcoming console.

In a press release today, Nintendo revealed that the company's upcoming new console, the Switch, will not include a Virtual Console when it releases on March 3. No date was provided for when it can be expected.

"Virtual Console games will not be available on Nintendo Switch at launch," the statement reads. "We will share more information in the future."

The press release also states that a system update will be necessary on launch day in order to access Nintendo's eShop. The update "downloads in the background, is designed to install quickly and doesn't disrupt gameplay."

Other information provided includes a "news feature," which will update players about "the latest additions to Nintendo eShop, as well as providing information about upcoming games and other updates from Nintendo."

Nintendo also confirmed that anyone with funds in their accounts on other devices can access those funds via a shared wallet.

"People who already have funds in their accounts on other Nintendo devices can access them using a shared wallet that works on Nintendo Switch as well," Nintendo said. "Once they link their Nintendo Network ID and Nintendo Account and then their Nintendo Account to their Nintendo Switch system, this functionality becomes possible."

Ok, I'm curious since I haven't been keeping up with it all that much.

What CAN the Switch do out of the box?

Chimpzy:

Why it can make a click sound. Who wouldnt want a 300$ clicker?

NINTENDO YOU ARE BLOODY STUPID!!!

Chimpzy:

This is my question. At this point I think it would be simpler for Ninty to just put out a bulleted list of features that are available.

So, I take it that we won't be playing any classic NES or SNES games out of the box. Which makes that whole benefit of paying for online even less appealing (quite an accomplishment really). And considering the system looks to have one worthwhile launch title (which may be better than other consoles to be fair) I can't really see me buying this thing.

Then again the last Nintendo console I owned was a NES and I could never rationalize buying a whole console for Zelda and maybe Star Fox (mostly the N64). So I guess the Big N really doesn't care about me that much.

Now now, let's be fair here. They can't give the Switch too many selling points out of the box. Why, if it had an extensive library of tried and tested games available from the get go then people might actually want to buy the thing. And if people wanted to buy it, then they'd have to massively under-produce even more than usual to ensure demand isn't met. How else are they going to make sure that at least some people will be disappointed on release day?

Nintendo is Nintendo's worst enemy at this point.

For DECADES (basically, since the N64) I've heard people declare that Nintendo should abandon the console market and become a 3rd Party developer.

This is the first time I've actually agreed with them.

The WiiU was a big mistake, but the Switch is proving itself to be a total clusterfuck.
:|

Tanis:

For DECADES (basically, since the N64) I've heard people declare that Nintendo should abandon the console market and become a 3rd Party developer.

The WiiU was a big mistake, but the Switch is proving itself to be a total clusterfuck.

Well the first and biggest nintendoh moment was when they created the console that took the top spot from them. They were partnered with Sony to creat the Snes CD but thut backed out at the last minut to partner with another company and license their IP to them lkeaving sony to foot the bill for the RD. Sony too what they'd done.. pushed it a little further and thus the Playstation was Born.

If you're wondering what deal looked so sweet that it was worth screwing ove Sony. Well it was the Phillips CD-i. Yup.

Chimpzy:

Play Zelda I hope :/

This is something that sounds really weird to me.
I wonder why the Virtual Console wont be there... but the Eshop will? So we can buy all the Switch titles at launch as downloadable games but not older games, from previous generations. Does this have something to do with the change to cartridges? I can't really come up with any other reason.

My theory that March 3rd is a soft launch is becoming more and more likely every time they announce something about the console

anyway no VC is disappointing but hardly a deal breaker, I wonder how long until it is up though, SNES and NES VC games apparently will have online multiplayer when applicable so maybe when paid online starts in Autumn

Guffe:

I wonder why the Virtual Console wont be there... but the Eshop will? So we can buy all the Switch titles at launch as downloadable games but not older games, from previous generations. Does this have something to do with the change to cartridges? I can't really come up with any other reason.

My guess is the programming for VC titles, particularly the reworking of some games to support online play, isn't ready yet. Emulation is delicate process.

totheendofsin:
My theory that March 3rd is a soft launch is becoming more and more likely every time they announce something about the console

Bingo.

It does seem that the Switch was pushed out early for a soft launch with the bare minimum features so that they could have Zelda as a launch title after the long delays for a Wii U Zelda.

Still no VC is not unexpected but just all the more reason to wait on buying on a Switch.

So the Switch will be a Zelda machine until Christmas then... Oh man.

What should worry people, especially those who pre-ordered before this information, its that there's no time frame for when VC will be in either.

Sigh. Whatever Nintendo. Clearly your console is still in beta if its missing so much functionality.

Guffe:

Chimpzy:

Switch will run Zelda at 900p @30fps. Wii U runs it at 720p @30fps, the Wii U is also shown to experience framerate drops to the low 20's. So if you are holding your breath, get bigger lungs.

Damn, no Virtual Console, damn :( I was so looking forward to paying 10$ a pop for games that came out 25 years ago and that I have already bought.

008Zulu:

Guffe:

Chimpzy:

Switch will run Zelda at 900p @30fps. Wii U runs it at 720p @30fps, the Wii U is also shown to experience framerate drops to the low 20's. So if you are holding your breath, get bigger lungs.

I read somewhere that the Switch plays Zelda at 720p / 60fps at handheld and 1080p / 60fps docked.
The 920p /30 fps was the demos people got to play at different conventions.
I might be wrong, but I read that about a week or two back somwhere or some youtube channel said so who had hands on at some convention... I might be wrong, but I remember something like that from somewhere. Might be a different game altogether.

Guffe:
Might be a different game altogether.

Nintendo confirmed that Zelda will run at 720 in handheld, but 900 in docked mode.

008Zulu:

Guffe:
Might be a different game altogether.

Nintendo confirmed that Zelda will run at 720 in handheld, but 900 in docked mode.

Yep you're right!
Went and double checked, apparently my misinformation was due to the fact that a few sites (IGN at least) actually have claimed that it runs at 1080p, but now have edited those reports. That and the fact that it will be able to run games 1080p/60fps but it's up to the developers how they want the game to run.

Guffe:
it's up to the developers how they want the game to run.

I think it's very bad form that Nintendo's 1st party Day 1 game doesn't run at what they said the console can run games at.

008Zulu:

Guffe:
it's up to the developers how they want the game to run.

I think it's very bad form that Nintendo's 1st party Day 1 game doesn't run at what they said the console can run games at.

Yeah could be a dealbreaker for some I guess. I don't know if I'd see the difference in 920 and 1080... I can barely see the difference in 30fps and 60fps when my brother plays League of Legends... Shows how little I actually game anymore I guess. Or how worthless my eyesight is xD

The main reason, for this choice, might be that the game has been in production for so long?
I know next to nothing about making games and coding and stuff, but if they'd up the specs of the game, that might risk it for launch? I mean the game has been pushed back since late 2014 I think. So if they have coded the whole thign for 920/30, upping that to 1080/60 sounds to me like quite a lot of work and might risk it being pushed back yet again?
It is obvious they wanted this to be a Switch launch title.

Guffe:

I think it comes down to the outdated hardware they chose for the device. It barely seems to edge out the Wii U. If they went for better components, then the game could have run at full 1080.

I'm pretty sure none of Nintendo's systems have had VC at launch.

Doesn't bother me anyway. $11 for a ROM is hardly my idea of a system-seller.

Guffe:

My guess as to Nintendo's reasoning is that the early adopters are people who already own most of the old games; these players won't care about old games; they're curious about what new games are available to the system. Therefore Virtual Console became de-prioritized.

008Zulu:

Guffe:

I think it comes down to the outdated hardware they chose for the device. It barely seems to edge out the Wii U. If they went for better components, then the game could have run at full 1080.

Could well be. But then again I think you and I view the Switch differently (just my assumption, I can't be 100% sure about how you think, I'm no mind reader).

I see the Switch as a handheld console, which can be plugged into the TV and that makes local co-op more enjoyable.
I think most people see it as a home console, with the ability to be taken with you.

If you look at it as a home console, as which Nintendo also are/have been promoting it as, then the specs and hardware etc are quite weak compared to how powerful a console could be made with todays tech. From my point of view, I am getting a very powerful handheld, and the specs etc are quite powerful for a portable machine this small.

All I am basically hoping for in the end, is that the games run smoothly and the console works without problems.
For me, the 920p / 30fps isn't a big deal which kills it of for me, if it for someone, then that's nothing I can do anything about. But I am agreeing on the fact, that if the Zelda is all one is after, and they have a WiiU, then get the game for that console in stead and save the 300dollars for something else.

008Zulu:

Guffe:

Chimpzy:

intentional pun, or nah?

either way, got a chuckle.

OT: At this point I'm not surprised, this could have at least alleviated launch titles from not being an issue....but hey, nintendo, keep dropping the ball, and I'll keep not spending a dime on you.

Guffe:
I see the Switch as a handheld console

Ultimately, I think this is what most people will end up seeing it as. Problem is the battery life, which is a big point people take in to consideration with a portable device. Sure you can take a few of those rechargeable packs with you, but each one you do, and the device isn't as portable as you'd want it to be.

008Zulu:

Guffe:
I see the Switch as a handheld console

Ultimately, I think this is what most people will end up seeing it as. Problem is the battery life, which is a big point people take in to consideration with a portable device. Sure you can take a few of those rechargeable packs with you, but each one you do, and the device isn't as portable as you'd want it to be.

For people who travel long distances this is true, especially when apps like Netflix and stuff come into the thing at some point. Long distance travelers don't want to be afraid that the movie ends halfway just due to battery ending.
Myself, as someone who doesn't travel too far or too much, the battery life is enough with 3-6hours. Then the good thing is Nintendo has the C-type usb charger, so you can get all the chargers needed (car, normal, other?) fairly cheaply anywhere and very few places don't come with charging possibilities anymore, at least where I live. The thing they failed with a bit, is the fact that the charger is on the bottom side of the Switch, so it can't stand on the kickstand and charge unless you have a small hole in the table or you keep it standing on something so the middle is up in the air a little.

Guffe:
the charger is on the bottom side of the Switch

That's how it plugs in to the dock. I would have put an auxiliary port on the back of the device. Perhaps some 3rd party developer will release a little raised stand for it.

008Zulu:

Guffe:
the charger is on the bottom side of the Switch

That's how it plugs in to the dock. I would have put an auxiliary port on the back of the device. Perhaps some 3rd party developer will release a little raised stand for it.

Yeah, most likely there will be a few third party support stuff for things like grips and stands and such.
If Nintendo won't get third party titles and least they can boast with the amount of third party accessories :D

MonsterCrit:

Tanis:

Well the first and biggest nintendoh moment was when they created the console that took the top spot from them. They were partnered with Sony to creat the Snes CD but thut backed out at the last minut to partner with another company and license their IP to them lkeaving sony to foot the bill for the RD. Sony too what they'd done.. pushed it a little further and thus the Playstation was Born.

If you're wondering what deal looked so sweet that it was worth screwing ove Sony. Well it was the Phillips CD-i. Yup.

You are selling Nintendo short here, they didn't back out of the Sony deal because Phillips alone was so tempting. I think they sought out Phillips after they decided to dump Sony and they decided to dump Sony because the contract they were in with Sony gave Sony complete ownership of all CD based SNES games. Now I don't know what made Nintendo sign that in the first place but it would have been foolish of them not to break such a lopsided contract.

Oh and the failure of the CD-I was not apparent then. I had one and it was pretty fascinating for it's time although it never had the software it needed to succeed.

WeepingAngels:

MonsterCrit:

Tanis:

You are selling Nintendo short here, they didn't back out of the Sony deal because Phillips alone was so tempting. I think they sought out Phillips after they decided to dump Sony and they decided to dump Sony because the contract they were in with Sony gave Sony complete ownership of all CD based SNES games. Now I don't know what made Nintendo sign that in the first place but it would have been foolish of them not to break such a lopsided contract.

Oh and the failure of the CD-I was not apparent then. I had one and it was pretty fascinating for it's time although it never had the software it needed to succeed.

Excuse.. me, I don't see how the failure of the CD-I wasn';t apparent. Anyone who every used the thing for gaming could tell you right off the bat it was crap. THe point is, it was a classic nintendoh moment when in a bid to secure market dominance they essentially shot themselves in the foot. Don't even get me started on their relationship with 3rd party devs.

MonsterCrit:

WeepingAngels:

MonsterCrit:

Excuse.. me, I don't see how the failure of the CD-I wasn';t apparent. Anyone who every used the thing for gaming could tell you right off the bat it was crap. THe point is, it was a classic nintendoh moment when in a bid to secure market dominance they essentially shot themselves in the foot. Don't even get me started on their relationship with 3rd party devs.

As for the CD-I, I had one back in the day and playing it back then I didn't have the benefit of hindsight. At the time it was doing things the Super Nintendo and Genesis couldn't do like realistic graphics and real voices (because it was running actual video off the CD). It had a SNES looking controller and a Genesis looking controller as well as a remote with an analog stick and a huge controller with a trackball. The hardware was there but the software was not.

As for the Sony thing, staying in the contract with Sony would have been a shot to the foot too.

If you do get started on third party relationships will you tell the while truth this time instead of just the anti-Nintendo side?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips_CD-i

On the wiki page I didn't see the remote with the analog stick but I remember it so here is the picture.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cdi+remote+control&sa=X&biw=1920&bih=981&tbm=isch&imgil=NWQ8eSwFQ8ln0M%253A%253BgDqiQhaWR2ZyiM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fatariage.com%25252Fforums%25252Ftopic%25252F250508-just-saw-the-cdi-controller%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=NWQ8eSwFQ8ln0M%253A%252CgDqiQhaWR2ZyiM%252C_&usg=__UmuCk15gKtWOnqFUPIg_gWX1ZyI%3D&ved=0ahUKEwitnKP94bXSAhWG7oMKHSgjAZIQyjcIJw&ei=D_y2WO3YM4bdjwSoxoSQCQ#imgrc=NWQ8eSwFQ8ln0M:

MonsterCrit:

Tanis:

I heard Nintendo were also planning on entering a partnership with Microsoft to help create an online service for the Gamecube, but then Nintendo backed out and Microsoft ended up continuing the work they had already started in order to create the Xbox and form their own online service.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here