The Batman Officially Finds its Director

The Batman Officially Finds its Director

The Batman New Director #6

The Batman, after much searching, finally has its director.

After Ben Affleck decided he'd wasn't going to direct the solo Batman movie, Warner Bros. probably wanted to find someone to replace him fairly quickly. It was initially reported that Matt Reeves would get the job, but those negotiations apparently fell through. The two sides must have continued talking, because Reeves has now officially signed on to The Batman.

Speculation said that Reeves initially dropped out due to creative differences, but is now also being given a producer credit - which may have been what sealed the deal. Affleck remains on as a producer and the lead actor.

Matt Reeves has a good track record as a director to this point. He directed Cloverfield, Let Me In, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and the upcoming War of the Planet of the Apes.

The Batman does not currently have a release date, although at this point it would be unlikely to be released before late 2018 or early 2019.

Source: Variety

I look at the new Planet of the Apes movies as hidden gems so I take this as good news.

Why is Batman wearing a jacket and goggles? It looks so wrong. I've pretty much ignored the new version of Batman completely, so when I see the outfit I'm still slightly repulsed.

Ezekiel:
Why is Batman wearing a jacket and goggles? It looks so wrong. I've pretty much ignored the new version of Batman completely, so when I see the outfit I'm still slightly repulsed.

thats from batman vs superman.....googles cos he was in a sandstorm........but the jacket.....fuck i dunno...style i guess :D

oh and its also aglimpse into the future which makes it worse again.

PS: FUCK DC COMICS

Ezekiel:

Vision of the post-apocalyptic future.

Anywho, this is a bit of good news in the unyielding stream of worrisome news coming from the DC films world, this and the rumored Nightwing movie.

Ezekiel:

Really? This makes you slightly repusled? After we went through Bat nipples?

King_Julian:

Ezekiel:
snip

PS: FUCK DC COMICS

(Looks at Punisher avatar)

Marvel did Spiderman One More Day :P

I had heard rumours of Affleck wanting to drop out before, so it is no big surprise for me. Anyway: let's see who this Reeves is:

Marter:

Matt Reeves has a good track record as a director to this point. He directed Cloverfield,

Haven't seen it. From what I've heard it was so-so to positive.

Marter:
Let Me In,

Have seen the Swedish original. Didn't care for it. It's my understanding that the readaptation was a good movie, but then again they said the Swedish original was good, so I don't know.

Marter:
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes,

Oh, this one I have seen. And this brings massive hope for the franchise; from my understanding the major problem of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice was that it was an incoherent mess, and the characters barely registered as character, instead relying on external lore in order to actually bring meaning to the characters. The great thing about the Planet of the Apes reboot was that they actually showed how Caesar developed, and displayed it on screen. The actual plot of the movie was fairly straightforward and easy to follow, but it was a story told well in that capacity. This tells me that the director's approach will be similar in this movie, and getting down to the basics of storytelling sounds like a solid approach if the last film was incoherent.

...oh wait, I'm thinking of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, not Dawn. Never mind, I haven't seen that one.

Marter:
and the upcoming War of the Planet of the Apes.

And neither that one.

Best of luck to Mr. Reeves, regardless of my non-exposure to his work.

Samtemdo8:

Ezekiel:

Never seen it. I always just changed the channel when it was on TV.

Unfortunate

Samtemdo8:

Hence fuck em' both. And yes, over-produced grimdark garbage is even worse than over-designed comedy fails.

BuildsLegos:

Samtemdo8:

Hence fuck em' both. And yes, over-produced grimdark garbage is even worse than over-designed comedy fails.

Grimdark is better than Colorful Humor:

This:

Says "screw you" at this:

Ezekiel:

Samtemdo8:

Ezekiel:

Did you like Adam West Batman? If you do, than you will like Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.

Bedinsis:

Marter:
Let Me In,

Have seen the Swedish original. Didn't care for it. It's my understanding that the readaptation was a good movie, but then again they said the Swedish original was good, so I dpn't know.

The original is a great movie which the adaptation totally misses the point of, in that it is a horror movie, while the original is a horrifying movie.

Now once they find a new Batman they can get back to making bombs.

Samtemdo8:
Grimdark is better than Snip:

Warhammer is a juicy source of mock-value, just like 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh. I have way more respect for something I can laugh with than laugh at, and even the worst MCU movie (Thor) fits the bill just fine.

I've never understood the collective freak-out over bat nipples.

BuildsLegos:

Samtemdo8:
Grimdark is better than Snip:

Warhammer is a juicy source of mock-value, just like 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh. I have way more respect for something I can laugh with than laugh at, and even the worst MCU movie (Thor) fits the bill just fine.

Bah I have no respect for Marvel Thor, he's a mockery of actual Norse Mythology.

JUMBO PALACE:
I look at the new Planet of the Apes movies as hidden gems

For "hidden gems," they're not very hidden per se.

King_Julian:

thats from batman vs superman.....googles cos he was in a sandstorm........but the jacket.....fuck i dunno...style i guess :D

Camouflage?

BuildsLegos:
and even the worst MCU movie (Thor)

Eh, I'd put Iron Man 2 as the worst MCU film I've seen. Thor's the second worst for me.

Pyrian:

It had to do with the designs laid down by the director, Joel Schumacher, who is openly gay. People thought he was trying to make Batman gay.

Samtemdo8:
Bah I have no respect for Marvel Thor, he's a mockery of actual Norse Mythology.

MCU Asgard is notably more dignified than Stargate Asgard, who cloned themselves into shriveled husks. Or is it Thor particularly that you have beef with? Missing Act 2 aside, Thor's initially douchy ego is what we call "room for character development".

Back to the fun space adventure: with all of your raging that a 1940's comic book monster ripped off a 1990's cartoon, why not accuse Rocket Raccoon of ripping off Insomniac's Ratchet? They're each a cute little furry in space with a collection of huge guns and side-kick that can be compared to Iron Giant.

BuildsLegos:

Samtemdo8:

MCU Asgard is notably more dignified than Stargate Asgard, who cloned themselves into shriveled husks. Or is it Thor particularly that you have beef with? Missing Act 2 aside, Thor's initially douchy ego is what we call "room for character development".

Back to the fun space adventure: with all of your raging that a 1940's comic book monster ripped off a 1990's cartoon, why not accuse Rocket Raccoon of ripping off Insomniac's Ratchet? They're each a cute little furry in space with a collection of huge guns and side-kick that can be compared to Iron Giant.

1. I always thought Thor was lame because, well that's it he just some Marvel-fyed version of Thor? Lame. Might aswell read his actuall Norse Mythology than Marvel's crossover fanfic. And I know you would counter me saying well Wonder Woman

Groot's portrayal in the movie is just blatent ripoff of the Iron Giant more. Right down to the fact that both characters were played by Vin Diesel, right down to how their voices sound, right down to their sacrifices and ressurection. I mean if you switched Groot with the Iron Giant, it would have been the same movie.

Clank is more his own charcater and can talk.

And Ratchet(at least his potrayal in the original PS2 Games) is cooler than Rocket Raccoon.

Samtemdo8:
Groot's portrayal in the movie is just blatant ripoff of the Iron Giant more. Right down to the fact that both characters were played by Vin Diesel, right down to how their voices sound, right down to their sacrifices and resurrection. I mean if you switched Groot with the Iron Giant, it would have been the same movie.

If Vin's lack of vocal range upsets you so much, wouldn't it make more sense to hold that against him than a brand? Vin was picked for both roles because they required minimal acting chops and a strong but gentle tone. Besides, Groot has healing powers instead of laser guns and can fit through a doorway.

But really now, what exactly is so "lame" about MCU Thor? The source material doesn't have aliens or robots, so screw that.

Samtemdo8:

Ezekiel:

Samtemdo8:

Did you like Adam West Batman? If you do, than you will like Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.

I don't know if I like it. I haven't seen it since I was little, and back then I preferred the more serious Animated Series, which holds up now that I'm twenty years older, but has a lot of mediocre episodes and bad writing. It's good, but not that good. I finished watching the series yesterday. Then I watched Mask of the Phantasm. I'm rewatching the New Batman Adventures now, and I still don't like the art style changes.

I need to stop typing. Batman Begins is in the mail, so I gotta go downstairs. I've been playign and watching a lot of Batman lately. Yet I have no interest in this ugly new DC universe version. It's fucked from inception simply for featuring Superman.

BuildsLegos:
[quote="Samtemdo8" post="7.947367.23909453"]

But really now, what exactly is so "lame" about MCU Thor? The source material doesn't have aliens or robots

Exactly.

I rather watch Wagner's Operas of Norse Myth or read the Tale of Sigurd and Gudrun edited by Tolkien.

Samtemdo8:

BuildsLegos:

But really now, what exactly is so "lame" about MCU Thor? The source material doesn't have aliens or robots

Exactly.

I rather watch Wagner's Operas of Norse Myth or read the Tale of Sigurd and Gudrun edited by Tolkien.

Its a very random tangent we're off on, but have you checked out Neil Gaiman's new book "Norse Mythology"?

Seth Carter:

Samtemdo8:

BuildsLegos:

Exactly.

Its a very random tangent we're off on, but have you checked out Neil Gaiman's new book "Norse Mythology"?

Nope, but I thank you for the recommendation.

008Zulu:

Pyrian:

It had to do with the designs laid down by the director, Joel Schumacher, who is openly gay. People thought he was trying to make Batman gay.

To be fair, someone involved with Batman and Robin was. It just wasn't Schumacher. According to George Clooney, he intentionally played Batman as gay.

OT: I don't mind the pictures that are at night, but that desert photo...Yeesh. It's the kind of picture where you could write "Derp" along the bottom of it, and it would describe the facial expression perfectly.

thebobmaster:

OT: I don't mind the pictures that are at night, but that desert photo...Yeesh. It's the kind of picture where you could write "Derp" along the bottom of it, and it would describe the facial expression perfectly.

It was supposed to be some post-apocalyptic dream sequence Bruce had where Superman went full evil. Blame Goyer, he wrote that movie.

Ezekiel:

The scene is from a 'dream' sequence in which Superman has become a tyrant under Darkseid and Batman leads the resistance against him. The look is a visual reference to "Superman: Red Son", in which Superman is an authoritarian dictator and Batman is a 'freedom-fighter'. Of course, the long coat makes a lot more sense in frozen Siberia than in desert-like-wherever-that-place-is.

Hawki:

JUMBO PALACE:
I look at the new Planet of the Apes movies as hidden gems

For "hidden gems," they're not very hidden per se.

I only mean that I don't see them talked about or appreciated very much.

They are calling this movie 'The Batman'?

Hahahahaha....
Oh my...
That is just sad...

With a title like that, it better be the DEFINITIVE version of Batman, because I mean, this is THE BATMAN! as the title implies.

Really ... This is just pathetic.

Honestly, none of them have beaten Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson yet. That movie still holds up, even with the suit that made it impossible for Keaton to turn his head. But that was a movie that worked and the characters had actual depth and chemistry together, actors that worked well together and suited the parts. Anything after that is just a massive slide downwards towards big names and big spectacle and a complete misunderstanding of how a batman movie should work.
And yes, I have seen the ever praised Dark Knight, with the line "I think you and I are destined to do this forever." which proved to be slightly ever so ironic for Heath Ledger.

I kinda feel bad for DC/WB. Bless em they tried, but the so-called DCEU is so bad I've already given up on it before it's taken off.

Samtemdo8:

"Batman Forever" was far less campy than Adam West and often had a decent tone (though, quite litterally, the ugliest music score of which I can think). It isn't perfect by a long shot. Example: Someone must have told TLJ to ham it up and act like Joker, cuz, he was popular and execs think you should just redo whatever worked in the past. Sadly, sometimes, they are right in terms of cash. Batman and Robin only works as a "So Bad it is Good" kind of experience. Watch it to laugh at it.

If your a fan of diverse iterations of the character I hope you've seen Lego Batman. Quite good.

Can we just stop with all the stupid superhero movies? It's just the same tired bullshit over and over and over...
I'm so sick of all the media constantly going "Ohhmehgerrrd new Batmaaan!!!11" Every 2 years. So this is different than the "OMG NEW BATMAAAN!!!" of 2015? 2008? 1996? 1989?

How many terrible X-men movies have come out since 2005? Do we really need another? Now they're doing it with Star Wars, too.

Can enough just be enough? No more Batman. No more Star Wars. No more goddamn Avengers. Just... No more recycled comic book crap.

The movie industry wonders why nobody goes to the movies anymore... Yeah, I'm REALLY gonna fork over $15 to go see a new version of the same crap I've already seen 8 different versions of before, (half of which was filmed on a green-screen), and risk possibly get shot by some psycho in a trenchcoat in the back row for my trouble? Give me a freakin' break...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here