Trading in Pokemon GO Will be Local, Not Online

Trading in Pokemon GO Will be Local, Not Online

pokemon go

I guess rural Pokemon GO players get screwed over once more.

Trading is probably the most-requested new feature for Niantic's Pokemon GO, and the company has promised us it is coming to the game "soon". However, when it does arrive, it may not work quite the way we expect, as Niantic has told Polygon that when trading happens, it won't utilize the internet, and will instead restrict players to trading with those they are in close proximity to.

"[Trading] won't be through the internet," said senior product manager Tatsuo Nomura. "You shouldn't be able to exchange your Pokemon with someone who is 100 miles away from you. ... The person needs to be in your proximity."

Rural players have often complained that their area is a hotbed for Caterpies and Pidgeys, and not much else, and have hoped that trading would help them complete their Pokedex by being able to trade with players in cities, where there's a Pokestop on every corner. Nomura has stated that this is not the intention of trading.

"I wasn't really thinking of trading as a way to solve the local area spawn issue," Nomura explained. "That was more, we have a couple Pokemon that only spawn in a couple regions, and that was the hope, that some Pokemon you have to know someone or find someone who lives in certain regions and meet and exchange.

"We don't want to just have that be an online game that you can just exchange virtually."

So trading is coming to Pokemon GO, but you'll have to be in the same area as someone to trade with them.

Source: Polygon

Is this guy dense or something? Or being forced to say such stupid inanities by the upper levels?

They could close down it already. The one thing people wanted and they ruined it before even releasing it.

Czann:
Is this guy dense or something? Or being forced to say such stupid inanities by the upper levels?

They could close down it already. The one thing people wanted and they ruined it before even releasing it.

Why would they close it down? It's still making plenty of money. Not as much as it did during the first couple of months but it's still doing quite well.

I have no problem with local only, if it were internet wide you'd see and immediate selling of pokemon on ebay and whatnot.

Really wish they'd fix the rural / city split through. If anything, rural areas should get the most and best pokemon spawns while the city areas have the abundance of pokestops and gyms. Right now Rural players are just SOL

Czann:

The whole concept of Pokemon Go was to gameify walking, and to create a conduit for social interaction.

Usage of the internet (aside from location tracking) is counter intuitive to the core design fundamentals of the game.

In fact. The original concept for the original Pokemon games was to create a game which helped children interact with eachother, in an era where gaming was almost exclusively an antisocial activity, before the internet, or even necessarily handhelds were popularized in gaming.

So you can't really refer to someone 'dense', when you're ignorant to these kinds of facts.

Ukomba:
I have no problem with local only, if it were internet wide you'd see and immediate selling of pokemon on ebay and whatnot.

Really wish they'd fix the rural / city split through. If anything, rural areas should get the most and best pokemon spawns while the city areas have the abundance of pokestops and gyms. Right now Rural players are just SOL

While I agree with you, it's likely more of a safety concern, and related to the fact that all of the data was sourced from Ingress players.

Kibeth41:

Czann:

The whole concept of Pokemon Go was to gameify walking, and to create a conduit for social interaction.

Usage of the internet (aside from location tracking) is counter intuitive to the core design fundamentals of the game.

In fact. The original concept for the original Pokemon games was to create a game which helped children interact with eachother, in an era where gaming was almost exclusively an antisocial activity, before the internet, or even necessarily handhelds were popularized in gaming.

So you can't really refer to someone 'dense', when you're ignorant to these kinds of facts.

Good luck walking to another continent to complete your collection.

Czann:

Since 1903 we've had this crazy invention.

Kibeth41:

Czann:

Since 1903 we've had this crazy invention.

This goes against the spirit of the game. You have to walk yourself there.

Czann:

This goes against the spirit of the game. You have to walk yourself there.

I like how I can pinpoint the exact moment you realized your initial comment was overly ignorant, so now you're trying to derail the conversation, instead of accepting your mistake with some grace.

The two better options would have been silence, or "yeah, I didn't know that, my bad". But you want to take the low road.

-

Do you know what people do when they're a tourist in a country, where they can't legally drive?

. . .

They walk

Kibeth41:

Ukomba:

While I agree with you, it's likely more of a safety concern, and related to the fact that all of the data was sourced from Ingress players.

That's a really good point. They already had those issues of people using lures on pokestops to draw in people to mug.

Czann:

Whoa, it's almost like you don't realise that adding global trading would make it possible to complete the game without going outside.

Good thing you don't really think that, otherwise you'd be completely missing the point.

And no, nobody will seriously fault you for not having Pokemon from other continents in your Pokedex. Get over it, set a personal goal and play the game within your means, as casually or as seriously as you want, there's no fire.

Unless you're somewhere like Big Island, Hawaii, you're pretty much screwed.

Nintendo should just make a Pokemon Facebook app and have people play in their browsers already.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.