Nintendo Switch Game Saves are Stored on the Console, Can't Be Transferred

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nintendo Switch Game Saves are Stored on the Console, Can't Be Transferred

Game save files will stay with the console, cannot be transferred to microSDXC card.

The Nintendo Switch has 32GB of storage, some of which is reserved for use by the system, however the internal memory can be expanded with the addition of a microSDXC card. By default, everything is stored to the internal memory, although you can choose to store data like digital games, updates, and DLC on the microSDXC card.

However, game save data is only able to be stored on the system itself. We already knew all of this, but now we know that game save data is not able to be transferred from the system to the microSDXC card (thanks, IGN). The biggest concern with this is, if something were to happen to a player's console, there is no way for them to access their in-progress game should they need to get a replacement.

We've reached out to Nintendo for comment, and will update this post should we receive a response.

The Nintendo Switch releases tomorrow, March 3, for $299.

Gah.

Between this and still using Friend Codes, Nintendo are sure determined to torpedo their own console.

So no cloud saves?!?! I'm pretty sure even my old xbox 360 had cloud saves, steam has had cloud saves for who knows how long. Makes things convenient as hell. Just have to log onto someones xbox one then boom all your games and saves available right there. This also means that when your console goes tits up that your SOL on any games and have to start over.

This switch thing is just weird, so much stuff that you would just assume is a default feature is just absent. Like going to a burger joint and finding they don't have toppings or fries or any drinks.

Oh fuck off Nintendo.

sneakypenguin:
So no cloud saves?!?! I'm pretty sure even my old xbox 360 had cloud saves, steam has had cloud saves for who knows how long. Makes things convenient as hell. Just have to log onto someones xbox one then boom all your games and saves available right there. This also means that when your console goes tits up that your SOL on any games and have to start over.

This switch thing is just weird, so much stuff that you would just assume is a default feature is just absent. Like going to a burger joint and finding they don't have toppings or fries or any drinks.

360 and PS3 both had cloud saves as an option.

I'd give it a day before someone figures out and releases a how to video on making the saves go to the SD card or finds a way to back them up somewhere else.

This is a minor thing to me, but seriously, piss off Nintendo.

You know, the more I learn about the Switch the less I want to buy one.

Nintendo has said that My Nintendo will be a platform for Cloud Saves.

It's likely that Cloud Saves are coming before any warranty expires.

Not to mention, neither 360 or PS3 had cloud saves at launch. It's hardly worth getting pissed off over since chamges WILL be coming soon.

Somewhere between the complete technical incompetence of the thing and the big day one system seller looking absolutely 110% unenjoyable to me personally "I'll pick up a Switch in a few months" turned into "I might pick up a Switch in 2 years when the price drops"

That's shitty, but not surprising from Nintendo.

American Tanker:
PS3 had cloud saves as an option.

A paid option. 50 dollars a year for cloud saves isn't worth it, especially when it's free on Steam, Origin and other services.

Nintendo isn't about just dropping the ball, they are all about stomping it flat.

008Zulu:
Nintendo isn't about just dropping the ball, they are all about stomping it flat.

In order to do so wouldn't they need to know the ball even exists?

This is yet another example of Nintendo inhabiting somekind of bizarro plain of existence.

gillnavisingh:
Nintendo has said that My Nintendo will be a platform for Cloud Saves.

It's likely that Cloud Saves are coming before any warranty expires.

Not to mention, neither 360 or PS3 had cloud saves at launch. It's hardly worth getting pissed off over since chamges WILL be coming soon.

Well.. At least someone seems to look for actual, further information instead of blindly listening to the first thing they see.

Garbage articles like this cropped up during the Wii U launch too. I remember, because I was gifted a Wii U at launch, in the midst of hissy fits about a rumored day 1 patch that bricked the console if the console lost internet or if the console auto powered down during the update.

When my Wii U was going through the update, I lost internet, and the auto power down function is automatically disabled during the update. Not bricked.

In truth, the console only held a chance of bricking if you forced the power off during the update. In the same fashion as how every computer and console does when they warn you not to turn off the power. But people held some kind of confirmation bias. It's the same case here.

But it uses cartridges.
Why not put the savegame on those like they have done for decades?

loa:
But it uses cartridges.

I was just gonna say this. It was even a selling point to me for getting a 3DS. Bad enough the store purchases are console locked (well, not quite, but a pain to transfer), but a reason to buy cartridges rather than digital.

On the topic at hand, what other basic features are the leaving out of the Switch? Thing doesn't have a browser, you need to use your damn mobile device to connect to servers, now you can't even back up saves. Can you even charge the controller while you play?

gillnavisingh:
Not to mention, neither 360 or PS3 had cloud saves at launch. It's hardly worth getting pissed off over since changes WILL be coming soon.

The 360 did have the option to move saves between storage devices at launch though.

That changes are coming does not forgive what the Switch is offering now.

Depending on the game, save files can be quite large in size. Without the option to move files to a different storage device players could find themselves having to decide what save history gets deleted. The Cloud is a viable alternative but at the same time I have been left without internet access on occasion and could pull local copies of saves from a memory card.

I can see why they don't want to allow you to move the saves off the system memory, it will greatly reduce the chance of save modding after all, but at the same time it is going to increase the desire of people to hack into the system itself.

Casual Shinji:
Nintendo inhabiting somekind of bizarro plain of existence.

It's known as The Gaming World, circa 2001.

Oh Nintendo you silly fools.

loa:
But it uses cartridges.

Because cartridge saves have a battery life. I guess if you only live for the present, it's not a problem. I, however, like to return to games years later. Then again, it's not like the console makers give a damn about preserving their games.

Ezekiel:

loa:
But it uses cartridges.

Because cartridge saves have a battery life. I guess if you only live for the present, it's not a problem. I, however, like to return to games years later. Then again, it's not like the console makers give a damn about preserving their games.

You're thinking of the cartridges used during the NES, SNES and N64 days, these modern cartridges most likely use SSD to hold data, something which does not need electricity to keep its state, same as the cards you slot into your camera or phone.

Nice ... 32 GiB - 6.1GiB (OS software) = 25.9GiB for your save games (and patches?)

It's plenty. Who needs more than 64K amirite?

I don't want to sound over dramatic but at this point I just hope Nintendo shrivel up and die as a hardware manufacturer. I just want to play zelda on anything but nintendo's home console/handheld abortion.

Nintendo, ten years later, still didn't get these newfangled things like online, storage, HD graphics...

gillnavisingh:
Not to mention, neither 360 or PS3 had cloud saves at launch.

those came out more than a decade ago

verdant monkai:
I don't want to sound over dramatic but at this point I just hope Nintendo shrivel up and die as a hardware manufacturer. I just want to play zelda on anything but nintendo's home console/handheld abortion.

Same here. Even a lot of people who still like Nintendo are sick of their gimmicks and stupid control idea's. Can't lie though, Breath of the Wild is pretty good (played at friends).

...it's weird what I occasionally pull out of articles like this.

For instance, I just learned that the 32 GB of memory in the Switch is strictly internal, and not it's own card. Meaning that you don't have to replace a memory card, you just add another one.

Thanks pirates :^)

Same reason you dont have a browser.

You think Nintendo isnt aware that all exploits happen via either web browsers or save tampering?

The console better gets a major revision and a good Metroid game, otherwise it'll be yet another Ninty system I'll pass on.

008Zulu:

Its more like Nitnendo is the kid who purposely kicks the ball into the mean old man's backyard. And the backyard has a rabid dog. And the old man sits on a rocking chair in his backyard with a loaded shotgun.

Vausch:
I'd give it a day before someone figures out and releases a how to video on making the saves go to the SD card or finds a way to back them up somewhere else.

...and that's not the point at all.

You guys notice how all the bad news comes out at the very end. No VC, no browser, no multimedia apps and no transferable saves are bad enough but the joycon sync issues and now the system gets scratched over time putting it in the dock (the 3DS scratching thing all over again) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349599

I have a feeling that all this hype is about to come crashing down. Nintendo went cheap and released a console that is inferior to the Wii U in every way except processing power. It's featureless in comparison, has connectivity issues, lost the second screen (and thus backward compatibility) and Nintendo couldn't even be bothered to put something soft on the front side of the dock. There is a reason the Wii U is the same price as the Switch, it's a better console (IMO). Hey though, the PS4 was featureless at launch compared to the PS3 too.

Another case of the dock scratching the screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUZ-Icqhemw

Nazulu:

Same here. Even a lot of people who still like Nintendo are sick of their gimmicks and stupid control idea's. Can't lie though, Breath of the Wild is pretty good (played at friends).

I'll always love pokemon and Zelda, and i agree that ironically its nintendo thats holding them back. For example no one cares if you can simulate ice cubes in a controller.

I know giving a company a monopoly is a bad idea but I wish they would just start porting their stuff to Sony and pc.

American Tanker:
Gah.

Between this and still using Friend Codes, Nintendo are sure determined to torpedo their own console.

Well to be honest, the friend codes are one of at least 5 alternatives to give out friendrequests
1. Friendcode
2. Player you're playing with at the moment
3. Players you have recently played with (no idea how far/short time back that is)
4. When the other Switch is closeby (so the wireless lan thing)
5. Old friends from the WiiU/Wii era when you log in on your Nintendo ID account.

So yeah, the friend code is a thing, but there are alternatives.

On Topic:
Not sure what to think... How bad a thing is this?
To me it sounds like... well... if the console breaks, all my savefiles are gone?
Better not just break the damn thing then, and hope that it won't commit seppuku of some sort.
Then again this is IGN who reports in, wouldn't be the first time they give false info on the Swith. I have read 3 or 4 statements they have given which have later been debunked, both on the good and the bad.

Guffe:

American Tanker:
Gah.

Well to be honest, the friend codes are one of at least 5 alternatives to give out friendrequests
1. Friendcode
2. Player you're playing with at the moment
3. Players you have recently played with (no idea how far/short time back that is)
4. When the other Switch is closeby (so the wireless lan thing)
5. Old friends from the WiiU/Wii era when you log in on your Nintendo ID account.

So yeah, the friend code is a thing, but there are alternatives.

On Topic:
Not sure what to think... How bad a thing is this?
To me it sounds like... well... if the console breaks, all my savefiles are gone?
Better not just break the damn thing then, and hope that it won't commit seppuku of some sort.
Then again this is IGN who reports in, wouldn't be the first time they give false info on the Swith. I have read 3 or 4 statements they have given which have later been debunked, both on the good and the bad.

or you know, using usernames?

chefzeff:
Thanks pirates :^)

Same reason you dont have a browser.

You think Nintendo isnt aware that all exploits happen via either web browsers or save tampering?

lol Guys, there are people who really still take this as an argument. Like those video-game-violence-goonies.

Just for clarification's sake: Even if Nintendo really had that point of view, it doesn't make the pirates responsible for that. Every other manufacturer succeeds in coping with this or preventing it outright. And it simply makes the console way less attractive to potential customers if the competition offers these options. Period.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here