The Mass Effect: Andromeda EA/Origin Access Will Limit Your Access to the Campaign

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Mass Effect: Andromeda EA/Origin Access Will Limit Your Access to the Campaign

EA and Origin Access members will get access to 10 hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda early, but their campaign progress will be limited.

We've known for a while now that EA and Origin Access members will get 10 hours of early access to Mass Effect: Andromeda. We didn't know what form that 10 hours was going to take until this past weekend. You'll be able to play all the multiplayer that you want, but you will only be able to progress to a certain point in the campaign before you're blocked from continuing.

The news comes from a Tweet by Andromeda producer Fernando Melo. Over the weekend, he wrote,

So you can replay the limited portion of the campaign you have access to, but that time spent replaying will count as part of your 10 hours.

Also over the weekend, Melo showed off a few of the rewards you can earn in multiplayer missions. These "Pathfinder rewards" will basically grant you loot boxes. As you can see in the tweet below, there are at least two types of boxes: the Gold Item Loot Box and the Research Data Loot Box (Melo also tweeted that there will be no microtransactions in single-player).

If you're groaning about having to finish multiplayer missions for single-player rewards, fear not. Lead Designer Ian Frazier tweeted last night that you'll be able to send AI strike teams to finish those missions to earn the rewards in single-player, or you can choose to complete them yourself in multiplayer to earn rewards in both modes.

Mass Effect: Andromeda will launch March 21 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Hold it. I do believe the game releases this month, March 21st. Not April.

I wonder how far they will actually let you go in single player. I highly doubt it's all the way up to a ten hour point, but if it's only, say, an hour I'd feel kind of cheated. But I don't have Origin, so I'm waiting either way.

And this is why the majority of release dates are bullshit. Even though the consumer base is opting for digital distribution, it still has all the bells and whistles to manipulate them.

Sending AI to complete multiplayer for you... I thought onling gaming frowned upon bot usage?

Whatever happened to that Mass Effect game? That was alot of fun. Shame they never made more.

What? But they made 2 sequels and working on a new one?

No, those are different games. I still want a sequel to Mass Effect.

If the trial is limited in content why not just use a normal demo?

Not that I was planning on getting this game, but I detest any interference with single player, overall. So basically...no. No, and fuck off.

008Zulu:
Sending AI to complete multiplayer for you... I thought onling gaming frowned upon bot usage?

90% sure "AI" in that instance means "Andromeda Initiative", not "Artificial Intelligence". Confusing I know.

FalloutJack:
Not that I was planning on getting this game, but I detest any interference with single player, overall. So basically...no. No, and fuck off.

It's likely to help stop people from ruining the story for everyone else.

Fans will google the game a lot before release, increasing the chance of spoilers.

But this wouldn't be the Escapist without commenters overreacting about almost everything.

Good job EA. Totally making that pre order and subscription service worthwhile.

Sniper Team 4:
Hold it. I do believe the game releases this month, March 21st. Not April.

Lets be real for a moment, does anyone really care that its even coming out?

ffronw:
(Melo also tweeted that there will be no microtransactions in single-player).

I find it very distasteful that they specify "no microtransactions in single-player". As if its a given that OF COURSE they'll be in multiplayer but that single player microtransactions were, of course, a possibility. I know they had them in ME3 Multiplayer but still...

Kibeth41:

FalloutJack:

Fans will google the game a lot before release, increasing the chance of spoilers.

But this wouldn't be the Escapist without commenters overreacting about almost everything.

Pretty sure when he says "interference" he means the multiplayer/singleplayer crossover.

And tbh the automated system they mention makes it sound like the DAI thing which...wasn't great. :-\

008Zulu:

this would only be the case in competitive multiplayer

Lightspeaker:

Pretty sure when he says "interference" he means the multiplayer/singleplayer crossover.

And tbh the automated system they mention makes it sound like the DAI thing which...wasn't great. :-\

That's a different matter then. I read 'interference' as "interference from EA", for heavily managing the single player.

Although, it's hard to imagine the multiplayer content adding anything substantial to the singleplayer campaign. Especially if playing multiplayer isn't even needed.

Considering how little information is in this article, it still seems like an overreaction, regardless.

I don't understand the problem.

Its an early access / trial. Understandable they're limiting what you can do. Nor do I see the problem with missions. For those who don't want to play MP, it will obviously be a squad management vs time thing, where you pick a squad and send them away to complete a mission. It will take x amount of time, and may have varying chances of failure or extra loot based on the level of that AI squad, which will probably increase as more missions are completed this way.

Its....its a pretty inoffensive feature to get upset about. But hey, this is Mass Effect and Escapist, I don't know what I expected.

Does that thing have a demo?
Because this is what we call a "demo".

Elijin:

Its an early access / trial. Understandable they're limiting what you can do. Nor do I see the problem with missions. For those who don't want to play MP, it will obviously be a squad management vs time thing, where you pick a squad and send them away to complete a mission. It will take x amount of time, and may have varying chances of failure or extra loot based on the level of that AI squad, which will probably increase as more missions are completed this way.

Its....its a pretty inoffensive feature to get upset about. But hey, this is Mass Effect and Escapist, I don't know what I expected.

Aye, for that matter I didn't know what "Ea/Origin Access" was and the article just looked like a fumblely title saying that those with Origin accounts won't be able to finish the game. Which sounded confusing for why'd they do that.

As for the Multiplayer thing and sending in AI teams. It reminds me of Yatzhee's idea on what to do with Witcher 3's sidequests on his Extra Punctuation. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/17273-How-You-Fix-RPG-Sidequests

Kibeth41:
Although, it's hard to imagine the multiplayer content adding anything substantial to the singleplayer campaign. Especially if playing multiplayer isn't even needed.

In ME3, if you did a lot of MP, the War Bonus it added meant you could skip a lot of the side-quests in game. Perhaps MEA uses a similar function.

Saelune:
I still want a sequel to Mass Effect.

What about ME1 drives people like this? I can't imagine it was the puddle shallow RPG elements, or the godawful dud of a combat system, or the tedious completely unrewarding inventory management, or the shitty sidequests that all took place in the same 3 recycled buildings, or the complete nonentity's that were the supposed to be the antagonists till the second to last mission, so what was it?

gigastar:

You are gonna be super dissapointed on the 23rd unless the reviews end up unexpectedly dire. No one outside of here /v/ r/games, ect. actually cares about the "ermahgerd Bioware sux now" club. The mainstream audience that makes up the bulk of AAA videogame sales is still super hyped for a new Mass Effect.

OT: Good? Why are people complaining about this? It's hard enough to avoid dickweeds spamming spoilers all over the place, last thing we need is to give them a head start. Worst case scenario I blitz through the available SP content in a few hours, but if the MP is anything like ME3's then I could easily spend 10 hours on that alone.

what i expected with it gated off and yay dont have to do multiplayer but i can send ai to do it instead.

they just released the last AI video so if you plan to get the game at some point, dont forget to watch the 6 videos on the mass effect website where you will get a helmet you will put n your character once and never touch again :)

personally im slightly optimistic to see the finished result and thats even with the ending of ME3 and how mmo like dai turned out... please no war table where the ai has all the fun and you get to see the clock count down

Whew. I was worried you had to have EA Access/Origin to unlock the campaign. It turns out it's just a glorified Demo.

And also, thank god for not having to play MP to advance the SP mode like ME3 tried to do.

Saelune:
Whatever happened to that Mass Effect game? That was alot of fun. Shame they never made more.

I'very been replaying the trilogy while I wait, and I have to admit, the only reason I made it through ME1 was because of rose-colored glasses. Everything 1 did well, 2 did better: combat, story, character development. I missed the Mako, but the rest of the series (save for the very end) was leaps and bounds better than 1.

What did 1 do that was so brilliant that the rest of the series didn't do better? Or, why did you hate the rest of the series so much? The ending didn't give us the variety of choice that we wanted, but was it really that bad?

Kibeth41:

FalloutJack:

Hey, I love it when people overreact to people reacting normally to things and then try to play it off as witty. Chill out, dude.

major_chaos:

gigastar:

You are gonna be super dissapointed on the 23rd unless the reviews end up unexpectedly dire. No one outside of here /v/ r/games, ect. actually cares about the "ermahgerd Bioware sux now" club. The mainstream audience that makes up the bulk of AAA videogame sales is still super hyped for a new Mass Effect.

Well then clearly the mainstream is either a glutton for punishment or they just dont learn thier fucking lesson.

And my umbrage isnt explicitly with Bioware (with the exception of Manveer Heir) it is, and always will be, with Electronic Arts, their neutering of potentially good games in the name of 'appealing to a wider audience' and the inevitable day one DLC they havent announced yet.

Why are people paying for EA access again?

Demos?

Werent those free in the past? Nah... must be my imagination...

And here I am, still boycotting Origin, although it means that I will never see the end of the original Mass Effect trilogy. Or the newer Dragon Age games. Seems to have no effect, since everyone else is using Origin. And I am still wondering why.

josemlopes:
If the trial is limited in content why not just use a normal demo?

Because EA Access subscription costs money and we can't have free demos now can we?

008Zulu:

Kibeth41:

In ME3, if you did a lot of MP, the War Bonus it added meant you could skip a lot of the side-quests in game. Perhaps MEA uses a similar function.

How is that anything but good, then? It's basically just granting player choice in activity to progress.

E.g. Spend 10 hours playing sidequests, or spend 10 hours playing multiplayer.

fractal_butterfly:
And here I am, still boycotting Origin, although it means that I will never see the end of the original Mass Effect trilogy. Or the newer Dragon Age games. Seems to have no effect, since everyone else is using Origin. And I am still wondering why.

Because the service is somewhat better now, and Steam desperately needs competitors. Considering how much it has degraded over recent years.

Karadalis:
Why are people paying for EA access again?

Demos?

Werent those free in the past? Nah... must be my imagination...

you get access to a pile of games free not to mention 10% discount on purchase prices.. not a bad deal

What's the point? Are people seriously so desperate to play a game a couple of days before everyone else that they'll pay money for the privilege? GoG exists because a good game is still fun to play decades after it was released; what possible difference could a couple of days make?

fractal_butterfly:

Because there's really nothing that bad about it. I don't really know why people always compare it to Steam, since it's not actually competing with them. It's basically just another launcher like Blizzard's Battlenet launcher that you need to have installed to play a few games from a particular company - completely pointless and a bit annoying, but not actually harmful in any meaningful way.

Kahani:
What's the point? Are people seriously so desperate to play a game a couple of days before everyone else that they'll pay money for the privilege? GoG exists because a good game is still fun to play decades after it was released; what possible difference could a couple of days make?

fractal_butterfly:

Because there's really nothing that bad about it. I don't really know why people always compare it to Steam, since it's not actually competing with them. It's basically just another launcher like Blizzard's Battlenet launcher that you need to have installed to play a few games from a particular company - completely pointless and a bit annoying, but not actually harmful in any meaningful way.

The cost of EA access includes a 10% discount on EA products. In my country, if you plan on buying an EA game, that 10% saves you money, plus you get all the EA access stuff.

major_chaos:

Saelune:
I still want a sequel to Mass Effect.

What about ME1 drives people like this? I can't imagine it was the puddle shallow RPG elements, or the godawful dud of a combat system, or the tedious completely unrewarding inventory management, or the shitty sidequests that all took place in the same 3 recycled buildings, or the complete nonentity's that were the supposed to be the antagonists till the second to last mission, so what was it?

gigastar:

OT: Good? Why are people complaining about this? It's hard enough to avoid dickweeds spamming spoilers all over the place, last thing we need is to give them a head start. Worst case scenario I blitz through the available SP content in a few hours, but if the MP is anything like ME3's then I could easily spend 10 hours on that alone.

SlumlordThanatos:

Saelune:

I'very been replaying the trilogy while I wait, and I have to admit, the only reason I made it through ME1 was because of rose-colored glasses. Everything 1 did well, 2 did better: combat, story, character development. I missed the Mako, but the rest of the series (save for the very end) was leaps and bounds better than 1.

What did 1 do that was so brilliant that the rest of the series didn't do better? Or, why did you hate the rest of the series so much? The ending didn't give us the variety of choice that we wanted, but was it really that bad?

Its the direction the game took that bothers me. It became more of an action shooter. The addition of multiplayer also bugs me, and Andromeda seems to be really pushing it more.

When I praise ME1 and criticize the rest, it is not like I dont think ME1 cant be improved. Better exploration and environments, deeper interactions, etc. I wanted them to be improved not neglected. It became less an RPG and more a shooter.

Elijin:

Yeah. That sort of sounds like the missions you could send your squad on in FFT. Where you would pick a few members, and send them off for a few in-game days and they would come back earning Job Points and maybe some minor treasures.

Saelune:
Its the direction the game took that bothers me. It became more of an action shooter. The addition of multiplayer also bugs me, and Andromeda seems to be really pushing it more.

When I praise ME1 and criticize the rest, it is not like I dont think ME1 cant be improved. Better exploration and environments, deeper interactions, etc. I wanted them to be improved not neglected. It became less an RPG and more a shooter.

I can understand disliking the multiplayer; the strange thing was that it was actually surprisingly good, and I hated that it was. That meant that EA was, of course, going to try to make lightning strike twice with subsequent games, and even games in different series (Dragon Age: Inquisition was guilty of this). To be fair, though, I would never have tried ME3's multiplayer if it didn't force me to play it in order to get the "best" ending after I first got it, and that was a cardinal sin that was way worse than the ending until Bioware fixed it. It was a shitty way to get me to experience a surprisingly good thing.

I still hated that it had multiplayer, though, even though I had way more fun playing it than I thought I would.

But anyway, personally I would argue that ME2 and 3 became more of both a shooter and an RPG. I missed the exploration that the Mako provided, but I saw that mostly as a technical limitation; I don't think that Bioware simply axed it in order to make the game more user-friendly (correct me if I'm wrong here). They didn't get it right the first time, and they couldn't get it right with the engine and resources available to them, so they cut it. In exchange, you got smoother gunplay, those deeper interactions you talked about, and a better, more interesting story that expanded upon what happened in previous games.

The "RPG" part implies an emphasis on character interaction, story, and growth, and the next two games had that in spades (only to trip at the finish line, but that's a topic for another thread). A game being an RPG doesn't mean that it has to be slow-paced, tedious, and needlessly complicated, with things like a slowly-growing skill tree and horrible inventory management.

That's why I've always been baffled at the success of games like Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera. On paper, I should really like those games, but playing them is such a slog of unnecessary micromanagement, I couldn't make it much farther than the first major dungeon. That was the chief problem that Mass Effect 1 had, and it blows my mind that people actually want that back.

To each their own, I suppose.

SlumlordThanatos:

To each their own, I suppose.

There are two kinds of people. Those who liked Mass Effect as a series, and those that didnt play Soldier.

Ok, overgeneralization, but the combat was never the part I enjoyed the most in ME1. But, I was a Sentinel, and what I -did- enjoy about the class, was all the stuff I could do beside shoot.

Then I played ME2 and every ability is tied to the same fucking timer? I used -all- my abilities in quick succession, but now Its just a little whatever in between shooting people? Meh.

Basically I played Mage in ME1, and in ME2 they turned every class into fighter.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here