Monday, March 13 is Maintenance Day at The Escapist!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Monday, March 13 is Maintenance Day at The Escapist!

escapist-forums-320

We're undergoing planned maintenance on Monday, March 13!

Hello, Escapist readers!

We've got some scheduled maintenance planned for Monday, March 13. While the site will still be up and readable, there will be no updates to the site, and the forums will be offline until the maintenance period has ended.

In the meantime, we're going to have a day of streaming over on our Twitch channel. We'll have a variety of streams throughout the day, so please come join us for a day of gaming while we let the tech monkeys do that thing they do.

We appreciate your patience while we take care of things behind the scenes. We'll be back to normal as soon as possible.

We'll see you on our Twitch channel!

Uh-oh

The Escapist still gets maintenance? Colour me surprised.

Canadamus Prime:

Well, there is a reason this is being treated as a big event and not you know, just a thing.

Not to say I am not grateful that some potential site improvement is about to happen. Hopefully this is the start of something good maybe?

Saelune:

Canadamus Prime:

Well, there is a reason this is being treated as a big event and not you know, just a thing.

Not to say I am not grateful that some potential site improvement is about to happen. Hopefully this is the start of something good maybe?

More ad banners. Its going to be awesome

Make sure not to make it blindingly bright. My eyes literally can't stand that. Also, you may not have chosen the best day for it.

"It's a big day"

"For you"

With that out of the way, It's good to see that there's going to be some maintenance going on around here. Things are holding together pretty well at the moment but there are some... unique problems that could do with being fixed.

Saelune:

Canadamus Prime:

It's just maintenance. I don't think that much is going to change.

Canadamus Prime:

Saelune:

Canadamus Prime:

It -could- mean that they are finally back to actually caring for the site, that maybe they finally dealt with the issue of no tech team, and otherwise willing to not just forget us. I dont think the maintenance itself will do anything major, but what it represents could be very good.

Saelune:

Canadamus Prime:

Saelune:

It -could- mean that they are finally back to actually caring for the site, that maybe they finally dealt with the issue of no tech team, and otherwise willing to not just forget us. I dont think the maintenance itself will do anything major, but what it represents could be very good.

It's certainly a possibility, but I'm not holding my breath.

Fingers crossed they don't use this as an excuse to take free pubclub away from people. There's no way I'd keep coming here if it involves the old barrage of repetitive adverts that mess up how the pages load.

Battenberg:
Fingers crossed they don't use this as an excuse to take free pubclub away from people. There's no way I'd keep coming here if it involves the old barrage of repetitive adverts that mess up how the pages load.

Oh God, I had almost forgotten what that was like. The fucking auto-playing videos were bad enough and some of the other ads that popped up a few times were just awful. I doubt they would actually do something like that, but I think that would basically kill the user base if they did.

Let me guess, more white? Even more white after that? Nobody likes more white on websites. Okay?

The Escapist Staff:
so please come join us for a day of gaming while we let the tech monkeys do that thing they do.

Wait... who are these "tech monkeys"? Last we were told they all got fired.

I wonder if this has to do with a certain thread by a certain user that broke parts of the forum.

theSovietConnection:
I wonder if this has to do with a certain thread by a certain user that broke parts of the forum.

You're right, the timing of this "maintenance" is rather interesting.

There's also the small matter of the frontpage forum box displaying threads that a lot of people reeeeally don't want to see.

Looking forward to seeing what actually changed during the maintenance, can we expect a report on this when the maintenance is finished?

IceForce:

theSovietConnection:

You're right, the timing of this "maintenance" is rather interesting.

There's also the small matter of the frontpage forum box displaying threads that a lot of people reeeeally don't want to see.

I was actually planning on rolling out an update of my little add-on today that would allow people to filter out Wild West posts from the Forum Box and generally hide all traces of the Wild West on this site altogether, if they wanted to.

But I guess that I'll wait and see what this entire maintenance hoopla is about.

So, in my nearly 8 years here, you've never had to announce a maintenance schedule.

Although that's probably because you had a competent tech team who knew what the fuck they were doing compared to whatever system you have in place now.

Why is this an announcement now?
Have you literally never done maintenance before?

No updates to the site all day? But where will I read about the Top 8 Maintenance Updates Of 2017?!?

Yeah, couldn't give a shit.

NOOO how else will i make random comments about pop culture items of interest and occasionally video games!

anywho. hope it goes well. that you dont burn down the server farm and dont forget to back up :)

Is the maintenance finish or not started yet?

trunkage:
More ad banners. Its going to be awesome

I lol'd. Sadly though, it probably is gonna be something lame like this. They haven't done anything with this site in months. Why start now?

Scarim Coral:
Is the maintenance finish or not started yet?

It hasn't started yet.

Hi, sorry we haven't spoke

I still love you

Kross:

I still love you

KROSS! YOU SEXY BEAST! WE KNEW YOU WOULD COME BACK TO US!

Kross:

I still love you

Kross:

I still love you

The basement monster ate a bunch of forum posts. Blame Kross.

FalloutJack:

Well it hasn't been fed in like a year so...

LegendaryGamer0:

FalloutJack:

Well it hasn't been fed in like a year so...

I thought he took it with him! I thought we were safe! I thought wrong...

Okay, it is March 14(pi-day!) all over the world apart from possibly some Pacific Islands; the maintenance should be complete.

I look forward to the still scheduled Pixels & Bits column later today.

Or, failing that, I'd like to see that weekly schedule updated to reflect reality.

FalloutJack:

I think it ate my two overwatch badges to boot too.

dalek sec:

FalloutJack:

That doesn't concern me quite as much as losing some of the posts I've made. A few of them were doozies.

FalloutJack:

dalek sec:

FalloutJack:

That doesn't concern me quite as much as losing some of the posts I've made. A few of them were doozies.

Fair point, just saying it's just slightly annoying but I can see losing some great posts can be a pain.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here