Here's Your First Death Note Trailer (and Release Date)

Here's Your First Death Note Trailer (and Release Date)

The American adaptation of the popular Japanese series now has a trailer.

It's been a long time coming, but we finally have a trailer and release date for the American Death Note movie.

Of course, the project has been in the works for years and years. You may remember back in 2009 when Zac Efron was attached to star as the protagonist, Light, although that never came to fruition. He's since been replaced by Nat Wolff, whom you may know as the lead in Paper Towns.

The film will follow Light after he comes into possession of a book that claims to have the power to kill anyone whose name is written inside it.

After changing attached directors a couple of times, Adam Wingard wound up directing the project. That's good news for moviegoers, as he's the man who was behind You're Next, The Guest, and most recently the new Blair Witch.

Death Note is scheduled to be released on Netflix on August 25, 2017.

Other than the Death Note its self, nothing about this looks like Death Note.

I'm looking forward to watching Ghost in the Shell, but I don't think I'll be watching this movie.

Light being pursued by the cops, and him being in the middle of a Ferris wheel collapsing, two things that do not happen in the manga/anime... Dunno how I feel about that. I get that creating some original content might be interesting, but I don't like the look of it so far. If that robed guy in the red hallway is L I'm gonna flip a table

I can't wait to see their interpretation of Ryuk. The Japanese version went for a 1:1 ratio of the manga and it looked odd. This version is clearly taking some liberties, like what the hell is going on with that ferris wheel?

Elvis Starburst:
If that robed guy in the red hallway is L I'm gonna flip a table

Might be Light trying to cover up some evidence. Light went hooded to get close to a target in the Manga (as you may know) so that wouldn't be too far off.

Elvis Starburst:
Light being pursued by the cops, and him being in the middle of a Ferris wheel collapsing, two things that do not happen in the manga/anime... Dunno how I feel about that. I get that creating some original content might be interesting, but I don't like the look of it so far. If that robed guy in the red hallway is L I'm gonna flip a table

Going by the IMDB that is indeed L.

Bobular:

I'm looking forward to watching Ghost in the Shell, but I don't think I'll be watching this movie.

I was thinking the exact same thing. If it wasn't for the Death Note itself I wouldn't know this was supposed to be Death Note, well that and the title card.

Go home Netflix, you're drunk.

Hey look a live-action anime adaptation that no one asked for and always suck no matter who tries to pull it off.

It must be Thursday.

Zydrate:
Might be Light trying to cover up some evidence. Light went hooded to get close to a target in the Manga (as you may know) so that wouldn't be too far off.

He never ran from any cops chasing him though, so I'm a bit worried about how they'll handle the scene. The ferris wheel already has me terrified for "liberties" taken.

Rednog:
Going by the IMDB that is indeed L.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

But here's the REAL question! HOW WILL HE EAT...THE CHIP!!

Drained of all of its eastern drama and suspense, and filled with western action and violence. Can they just TRY to preserve the spirit of the original, at least a little bit?

Tanis:

Exactly what I'm talking about. I love this corny shit - I don't want my Death Note to be turned into Taken 4.

I'm not really sure how to feel about this.

I didn't enjoy Death Note as much as everyone else but I consider that a positive, I'm not that attached to the material so I'm more intrigued than dismayed by the western-ization although I understand why that would be an obvious turn-off for fans.

And hey, it takes place in my hometown, or close enough, that's kinda neat.

No matter what though, Willem Dafoe is a freaking awesome choice to voice Ryuk.

Seems like they replaced mindgames and suspense with collapsing ferris wheels and cop chases.
No thanks.

loa:
Seems like they replaced mindgames and suspense with collapsing ferris wheels and cop chases.
No thanks.

Thats what I'm worried about, turning Death Note from a mystery/thriller sort of thing into just a generic action movie

Bobular:

They said it wasn't going to be a direct live action remake.

I am not a fan of the original. Too much Deus Ex Machina and Xanatos Gambit bullshittery for my taste. But since hard core fans seem to hate this, it might be worth a try.

Making this into a movie will lose so much of the charm and interest of the anime series. My draw to death note was how L and Light played off one another for the better part of a seasons. It's a show about mind games.

I don't see how you cram this into what is presumably a 2 hour movie and make it work.

If you were going to go live action with this I'd have preferred the Stranger Things approach. You could tighten up the story and fit it into an 8 or 10 hour season rather than 2 seasons I think. But a movie cuts away too much.

Having said that I'll definitely check out the film just for curiosity sake. I'm going into with absolutely no positive expectations so it's basically impossible to be disappointed, lol.

Looks like your average action movie with a hint of mystery magical nonsense. Whatever, I don't even remember what happens in the anime.

If it's a netflix one I'll watch it sure, but I don't have too high hopes.
As with most manga/anime/gaming related movies, go in with an open mind.

Elvis Starburst:

He never ran from any cops chasing him though, so I'm a bit worried about how they'll handle the scene. The ferris wheel already has me terrified for "liberties" taken.

The cop thing I can handle, could be a red herring or just a general interview when he was nearby when he 'killed' people with the book. Could be nothing.

The ferris wheel thing is the only part that irritates me.

I have some small hopes from this.

It's the mind games and the logical space you're put into when you put the supernatural death note into a real life setting that is the appeal to me. And the cat-and-mouse games. The action of this trailer was rather subdued; maybe that speaks to the actual movie.

And if they haven't focused on the action, maybe it is the aforementioned attributes they actually have focused on, meaning it is just a bad or non-indicative trailer.

I mean, trailers tend to emphasize the material that is the most understandable, and how the Death Note works is probably hard to get across with clarity in a trailer.

You know, you can go ahead and call this shit all you want.

But I wanna see this because I wanna see Willem Dafoe as Ryuk since he was always my favorite character in the series and casting Dafoe as him was fucking perfect. Though I might end up checking out the original japanese films first since those interest me more in terms of retelling the Death Note story since they get rid of the lackluster 2nd arc with Near.

008Zulu:

Bobular:

They said it wasn't going to be a direct live action remake.

I'm not asking for a scene by scene remake of the original, that would be pointless, I'm asking that they hit the main points of what made Death Note Death Note.

So far nothing I've seen from this gives me any hope, other than Willem Dafoe as Ryuk, that they know what they're doing with this at all. I could be wrong and I would like that to be the case but I honestly don't think the people making this movie know what made the original popular.

Willen Dafoe looks like the only good casting in the whole movie. it might be decent as a action movie but it looks like it was in no way meant for fans.

Will it have an RHCP song over the end credits like the Japanese version?

Dude he looks and sounds so similar to Reynad the hearthstone streamer even down to the monotone in his voice.

Elvis Starburst:

I am pretty sure that is L. This trailer looks like they read the books then did a complete rewrite of everything for the worse, hopefully it is good though I love Deathnote its a great Anime.

Zydrate:
I can't wait to see their interpretation of Ryuk. The Japanese version went for a 1:1 ratio of the manga and it looked odd. This version is clearly taking some liberties, like what the hell is going on with that ferris wheel?

To be fair, it helps add to the unnatural feel of seeing an otherworldly death god face to face.

DarklordKyo:

Zydrate:

To be fair, it helps add to the unnatural feel of seeing an otherworldly death god face to face.

Yea but he looked ripped right out of the anime. I expect a sort of eldritch abomination variant in the American version.

Bobular:
I'm asking that they hit the main points of what made Death Note Death Note.

Dude, enhance your calm. That trailer was all of 60 seconds of actual footage. Without proper context for the scenes, any judgements are pure speculation.

008Zulu:

Bobular:
I'm asking that they hit the main points of what made Death Note Death Note.

Dude, enhance your calm. That trailer was all of 60 seconds of actual footage. Without proper context for the scenes, any judgements are pure speculation.

Please tell me when someone gets upset with you, you say "Maintain low tones with me"

I implore you to tell me that.

ObsidianJones:
Please tell me when someone gets upset with you, you say "Maintain low tones with me"

I implore you to tell me that.

Nope. That phrase from Demolition Man has just stuck with me over the years, sorry to say.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here