Invader Zim is Coming Back to TV For One Last Hoorah

Invader Zim is Coming Back to TV For One Last Hoorah

invader zim

Nickelodeon is bringing the cult classic Invader Zim back for one final TV movie.

Invader Zim was truly one of the greats of the golden age of Nickelodeon. Tragically short at just two seasons, Zim will now finally get the send-off he deserves with plans to release an exclusive 90-minute TV movie in the coming years.

Entertainment Weekly is reporting that four key voice actors will return for the movie: Richard Horvitz (Zim), Rikki Simons (GIR), Andy Berman (Dib), and Melissa Fahn (Gaz).

The Invader Zim movie joins the likes of Hey Arnold! and Rocko's Modern Life, which are also getting TV-movie revivals. This is all happening as part of a Nickelodeon event celebrating 25 years of Nicktoons.

Invader Zim followed the exploits of Zim, an incompetent but determined alien invader who arrives on Earth with imperialistic ambitions to essentially conquer the human race and take over the planet. The show lasted only two seasons but quickly became a cult classic due to its incredibly dark humor.

There's no release date for the Invader Zim movie as of yet, but Hey Arnold! The Jungle Movie will launch by the end of the year.

Source: Entertainment Weekly

Awesome. Really glad to hear it.

The cartoon revolution has begun! Puts on face pain and does a battle cry.

I have not heard SHIT about the Hey Arnold movie :P

First a return of Samurai Jack, now Invader Zim? Oh, 2017, you spoil us so! Still anxiously waiting on news about The Jungle Movie, though...

Hmm I wonder how involved Jhonen is with this. Every time I talk to him at Comic Con he makes it sound like he wont ever work with Viacom again. He is writing the comic for Oni so maybe this was part of the contract? If Jhonen isnt writing it then I will just stick with the comic.

The cartoon that became the face of the early 2000's emo scene, and one of the few cartoons my mother actually enjoyed watching with me.

I remember one year we got two seasons on DVD one Christmas and my mother sat and watched the entirety of them with us all day.

It's also one of the few nostalgic cartoons I watched as a kid that I genuinely still find hilarious, other than Ed, Edd 'n, Eddy.

Hehehehe...
YES! YES! YES!

Ahem...
This is a good thing. Now, if no one minds, I'm going to sing the Doom song now.

What do you mean that the series was too short? Zim was short. Therefore, it was the perfect length. Just like our glorious conqueror is the perfect height.

What's with this sudden revival of old shows? X files, Twin Peaks, Samurai Jack, now Invader Zim. I mean I get cashing in on the nostalgia, but it's weird to bring back these shows after they've been gone for decades in some cases.

I tried reading the comic, it was kind of funny, but not enough to keep paying four dollars a month for. I'll probably see the movie, and I did love the series, I'm just hoping we get something worth while, not just nostalgia cash grabs. Wow, I'm normally trying to at least be a little positive, I guess this show's status as the emo mascot made me a little more hard on it, and I guess I've become a bit jaded, despite still being a great show. A little sad, I suppose.

Any word on what the artist thought of this? He was notorious for hating his time at Nickelodeon.

First Samurai Jack and now this?

If anymore cancelled shows come back from cancelville then 2017 will be the year of the rivial of old cartoon coming back!

I hope they do the big war that Jhonen was preparing for the end of the series. Glad to hear that this is coming back, though I wish invader zim had made its way to adult swim because I think a non-Nickelodeon venue would allow Jhonen and the writers to make this show even more amazing and dark.

CoCage:

A Renaissance, almost as literally as you can get it. Not a revolution.

Dirty Hipsters:
What's with this sudden revival of old shows? X files, Twin Peaks, Samurai Jack, now Invader Zim. I mean I get cashing in on the nostalgia, but it's weird to bring back these shows after they've been gone for decades in some cases.

You answered your own question there. The Millennial crowd craves nostalgia because, well, the world is was it is today.

Cowabungaa:

CoCage:

A Renaissance, almost as literally as you can get it. Not a revolution.

Still counts either way. The Renaissance is a new (or old) wave of older properties combing back under their original creators. The revolution is showing how most cartoons have been lacking these days.

The only good cartoons on are: Star Wars: Rebels, Star vs. Force of Evil, Steven Universe, Gumball, Milo Murphy, Loud House, and the new Voltron (Netflix). Those numbers are very small compared to what we had in the 80s, 90s, and the early to mid 2000s. The problem with most cartoons is let's have all of our characters be like idiots or total asshats, still expect to like, sympathize, or find them funny. I am looking at you Teen Titans Go and PPG (2016). If I wanted another Johnny Test, I would have asked for it. There is also a lack of good action shows unless your name is Star Wars or a Marvel property. Can we please have so original animated action shows not under those labels.

Now all we need is that Hey Arnold movie, and I am all set!

I've been loving the comic series and after spending years watching and re-watching the DVD collections I'm curious to see how much they're going to stick to the original idea they had for an Invader Zim movie...what, 15 years ago? Since they won't be included in the Nicktoons movie I hope to hear something about a stand-alone Ren & Stempy movie...kinda...Adult Party Something was a show that I remember being not great.

I am just wondering if Zim would ever Conquer Earth.

Dirty Hipsters:

Its not sudden, it never stopped. Brady Bunch and Beverly Hillbillies had been gone for years, they got movies.

Honeymooners, Transformers, etc, its just now the 90's turn at this shit.

WHY COULDNT YOU LEAVE IT TO ITS MOOSY FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE

Luckily, Daria already had a movie to close out the series, so she is safe.

2017 is turning out to be a great year. Now just need Disney to fix Star Wars and I'll be ecstatic. :)

Invader Zim is trash, yeah I said it. Well, if nothing, at least Hot Topic gets a new excuse to peddle it's stupid garbage to edgy teenagers.

FriendoftheFallen:
I hope they do the big war that Jhonen was preparing for the end of the series. Glad to hear that this is coming back, though I wish invader zim had made its way to adult swim because I think a non-Nickelodeon venue would allow Jhonen and the writers to make this show even more amazing and dark.

Are you referring to "Invader Dib?" episodes Jhonen wanted to do? I was wondering if this movie will be about that or incorporate some ideas from it.

On topic: A movie? This is pretty good news! Zim is a god damn classic! I will now sing the DOOM song for ten minutes as celebration! Doom, Doom, Doom!

PhoenixMaster:

FriendoftheFallen:

Are you referring to "Invader Dib?" episodes Jhonen wanted to do? I was wondering if this movie will be about that or incorporate some ideas from it.

On topic: A movie? This is pretty good news! Zim is a god damn classic! I will now sing the DOOM song for ten minutes as celebration! Doom, Doom, Doom!

Yes I was referring to Jhonen's proposed series finale multi episode arc/movie. I didn't want to bring too much up in case that really badass plot actually makes it into the new Zim in which case it is spoilerific. It would mean that Zim is the bane of his entire civilization.

American Fox:

Dirty Hipsters:

Its not sudden, it never stopped. Brady Bunch and Beverly Hillbillies had been gone for years, they got movies.

Honeymooners, Transformers, etc, its just now the 90's turn at this shit.

WHY COULDNT YOU LEAVE IT TO ITS MOOSY FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE

There's a difference between something being adapted to a new format, and an old TV show just straight up getting a new season decades later.

American Fox:

Daria is one of those shows whose plot arcs were well closed out when it ended, with the two TV movies. Not to mention Daria was probably rather Niche anyway, unlike her more famous co-stars, Beavis and Butthead who didn't have plot arcs.

I am glad to see more Zim, as long as it has the same feel. It would be nice to see them wrap the show up.

TheRundownRabbit:
Invader Zim is trash, yeah I said it. Well, if nothing, at least Hot Topic gets a new excuse to peddle it's stupid garbage to edgy teenagers.

Actually, the edgelord stupidity is one of the reasons I love Invader Zim.

I am extremely cautiously optimistic about this. On one hand I really really want this to happen, but on the other I have no faith in Nick to not fuck it up somehow.

TheRundownRabbit:

Thank you for providing the morally imperative opinion, oh Great Objective One.

It will ritualistically be placed in the trash where it belongs of course, for the unwashed peasants are not to know the Enlightened Truth

What even is going on in animation in 2017?! Samurai Jack's got a fifth season, Invader Zim's coming back with no hint that Jhonen Vasquez isn't involved, Hey Arnold and Rocko's Modern Life are getting TV movies, I honestly don't know what to think. I want to lie back and accept it, but I simply don't know how excited I should be for this! I want to have excitement left for all of them.

The Great JT:
What even is going on in animation in 2017?! Samurai Jack's got a fifth season, Invader Zim's coming back with no hint that Jhonen Vasquez isn't involved, Hey Arnold and Rocko's Modern Life are getting TV movies, I honestly don't know what to think. I want to lie back and accept it, but I simply don't know how excited I should be for this! I want to have excitement left for all of them.

Yeah everything seems to be making a comeback. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. Should they have stayed dead or should they come back?

TheRundownRabbit:

HEY heyheyheyhey. Hey.

I'm an edgy ADULT. *flips hair*

The Great JT:
What even is going on in animation in 2017?! Samurai Jack's got a fifth season, Invader Zim's coming back with no hint that Jhonen Vasquez isn't involved, Hey Arnold and Rocko's Modern Life are getting TV movies, I honestly don't know what to think.

I've heard word that Young Justice is getting at least a third season (I don't know about more) and hopefully Rick and Morty season 3 is coming out this year.

Sweet! I only got into the show a couple of years ago on Netflix and blazed through it. I really need to rewatch it and catch up with the comics before this happens. I do not want to be caught unawares like the Samurai Jack revival.

to close up the first half of 2017.

Next, ARTHUR!

Wait?

What...

That is still running? Oooooo, they have an episode on autism!

Dalisclock:

American Fox:

Daria is one of those shows whose plot arcs were well closed out when it ended, with the two TV movies. Not to mention Daria was probably rather Niche anyway, unlike her more famous co-stars, Beavis and Butthead who didn't have plot arcs.

I am glad to see more Zim, as long as it has the same feel. It would be nice to see them wrap the show up.

At least they didn't doa "Jane" spin-off. I always liked Trent, perhaps because at one point in my life I sounded and looked much like long-haired version of him. He had some of the funniest lines in that show. They could have done a one or 2 season spin-off with him and his band.
Daria was well done. They closed the arc properly. If they brought her back it would be as an adult and would bring a different perspective. Its a shame that the Beavis and Butthead revival wasn't more fruitful I think MTV was just ashamed that Beavis and Butthead were more intelligent than the cast of Jersey Shore. They used to be willfully the dumbest thing on the Tv but when they came back the writing was crisp and intelligent and the things they were mocking were way more sad and satirical than they were.

They need to bring Dexter's Lab back as an adultswim show with Dexter being a brilliant edgelord and Deedee a tumblrina.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here