Roger The Kangaroo Cut From Tekken 7 Due to Animal Activist Fears

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Roger The Kangaroo Cut From Tekken 7 Due to Animal Activist Fears

roger jr.

Roger Jr., the boxing kangaroo, has been cut from the console versions of Tekken 7 due to fear of animal activist protests.

Remember that viral video earlier in the year of a man rescuing his dog from a kangaroo by punching it in the face? Well, while hilarious for us, it's been a headache for the folks over at Bandai Namco, who are cutting Tekken 7's boxing kangaroo: Roger Jr., as a result.

"There was a video of a man's dog being headlocked by a kangaroo, and he punched it in the face", executive producer Katsuhiro Harada said in an interview with VG24/7. "It turned into a big problem. People were complaining about him punching a kangaroo. It seems that in the last few years there's a lot more animal activists - even though they probably wouldn't play our game they would still hear about that, about a kangaroo in our game being punched, and would complain about it."

While Roger Jr. is still currently in the arcade versions of Tekken 7 playable in Japan right now, when the console and PC versions of the game launch on June 2 this year, he will be cut.

Meanwhile, Kuma the bear, will remain in the game because a bear is "obviously stronger than a human being".

Source: VG24/7

.....this has to be a joke, very funny all in all now let us all go home and contemplate how stupid this would be if they were serious.

In other news Injustice 2's achievement "Dick Out For Grodd" had to be removed because it offended Dick Grayson fans.

Rest at ease DC fans for Deadshot can still shoot Gorilla Grodd.

A kangaroo isn't stronger than a human being? I'm sorry, do they not KNOW how hard a kangaroo can kick?!

Also, as someone who cares very much about animal rights and preventing abuse, these activists are seriously damaging the very interests they claim to champion. They probably would've complained just as loudly if the man had let the kangaroo kill his dog.

apparently they decided to remove it because at some future point there MIGHT be a complaint.. ok then

Kind of like when people get mad at women in fighting games cause them being able to fight back is meaningless.

I mean, if anyone was mad at that guy for (protecting an animal from another animal) then wouldnt they want to be able to play as a kangaroo and beat up humans?

If they wouldn't buy the game anyway, why do their complaints matter to the game company? Bottom line drives everything, don't it? Or do they really think a bunch of crazy animal nuts are going to sway the opinions of the people who would have already bought the game?
Also, if my dog was being attacked by a kangaroo, I'd punch the thing, too. Kangaroos are not the sweet, cuddly animals people think. They are pretty aggressive if they decide not to tolerate you being around them. Besides, they punch each other all the time and hit way harder than we can, so I doubt we'd do much damage to them.

I remember the guy punching the Kangaroo. I remember why. I probably would have done the same if not pull a weapon on it. Random fucking Kangaroos do not take priority over my dog.

This is dumb. Once again. It's a game.

Im pretty sure that sort of fear from anticipation is supposed to be an unhealthy thing to give in to. It's what I've been lead to understand from past sessions.

I wasn't aware animal rights fanatics were Tekken's core demographic.

...What's that? They aren't? Then why the hell do they care what those people think?

................Well if this isn't a joke then I have to say the same thing I said during all those controversies were women were taken out of a game.

You must not have had a lot of faith in it to begin with.

...Isn't this the game with the fighting bear? Or a panda? Or is it both? Why would they be worried about animal rights when you've already had an animal in the roster for many years?

Yes animal rights activists who'd be overly concerned about the well being of a virtual animal. ...ugh...

No, no.

This holiday comes at the beginning of April, not the end.

Ha ha. I can see how you could confuse the two.

Silly Tekken upper management.

Now fucking fix it.

What kind of fucking triple digit retardedness is this?

Um, didn't anyone check Harada's twitter?... He basically said it was a joke, even if the language barrier makes it a little hard to interpret. This is really jumping the gun.

It would make no sense to cut Rodger since there's also Kuma and Panda and Alex and I doubt they'd cut Panda or Xiaoyu would throw a fit.

That guy puching the kangaroo was hilarious.

Having said that, I hate the joke charecters so good ridance.

not that i care much for this character but this of course is again ridicules.

Having seen a dog get gored by a kangaroo, fuck em
If they didn't bounce so fast I'd punch them all in the face

Huh, could have sworn April Fools was little under a month ago.

DemomanHusband:
Um, didn't anyone check Harada's twitter?... He basically said it was a joke, even if the language barrier makes it a little hard to interpret. This is really jumping the gun.

Yeah, Harada's grown a rep for fucking around. He also threatened to keep Lucky Chloe out of the US release a while back.

Dude's a goof, and it's great.

The Rogue Wolf:
A kangaroo isn't stronger than a human being?

If a kangaroo kicked any of the Tekken characters in the chest, they'd have a chest sized hole where their chest used to be.

BX3:

DemomanHusband:

Yeah, Harada's grown a rep for fucking around. He also threatened to keep Lucky Chloe out of the US release a while back.

Exactly, he pulled this a few years ago with the whole catgirl idol character saying that he'd pull her from the american release because of manbabies complaining, and replace her with something else.

Harada Lies on Twitter. Harada lies about everything on the internet.

Winnosh:

BX3:

DemomanHusband:

Exactly, he pulled this a few years ago with the whole catgirl idol character saying that he'd pull her from the american release because of manbabies complaining, and replace her with something else.

Harada Lies on Twitter. Harada lies about everything on the internet.

Yeah, people thought the Lucky Chloe thing was real too. I swear, April 1st is the only day people are skeptical on the Internet.

Fortunately the PC version will likely receive a mod in less than a month after release that not only puts the kangaroo back in but also adds koalas, Tasmanian devils, and an animal rights activist wearing a PETA T-shirt.

This news makes me so mad it makes me want to punch something... preferable from Australia.

This is obviously done by people who know utterly nothing about kangaroos. Motherfuckers are bloody dangerous, and if they kick you basically anywhere, then you're buggered sunshine.

Suddenly I'm reminded of Streets of Rage 3, when I always tried to take out Roo's trainer and not Roo himself...

Casual Shinji:
This news makes me so mad it makes me want to punch something... preferable from Australia.

Don't try a kangaroo, though. Or, of course, a crocodile, snake or spider. Or a box jellyfish. Or a blue-ringed octopus.

Actually, might want to give that a miss.

Amusing joke aside, the issue with the kangaroo controversy is just ignorance. Internationally people are like 'Someone punched a cute little furball?! Hang em out to dry!'. When the threat involved is more along the lines of 'Oh shit, a wolf has my dog, if I don't act right now it will kill him. If I'm not fast and I mess this up, it might also kill me.'

Thaluikhain:

Casual Shinji:

Don't try a kangaroo, though. Or, of course, a crocodile, snake or spider. Or a box jellyfish. Or a blue-ringed octopus.

Actually, might want to give that a miss.

He can punch the dirt. That should be relatively harmless.
It's dirt in Australia so it still might be lethal in some form, but not as lethal as pretty much everything else.

erttheking:
................Well if this isn't a joke then I have to say the same thing I said during all those controversies were women were taken out of a game.

You must not have had a lot of faith in it to begin with.

I thought you said that when women were put into games, or have their appearance altered, in response to outrage?

Regardless those who are in a position to have faith in the game, the developers, generally aren't the ones making these decisions, and the ones who make these decisions don't care about the game, only how much they think it will make and the perception of the company.

This kind of behaviour isn't something anyone should accept from the games industry as the reasoning that went into this decision is the same that results in fewer and less diverse female characters.

infohippie:
Fortunately the PC version will likely receive a mod in less than a month after release that not only puts the kangaroo back in but also adds koalas, Tasmanian devils, and an animal rights activist wearing a PETA T-shirt.

Come on guys's verify before complaining or at least read the thread. This was Harada being Harada. Roger isn't being removed and never was. The clue should have been that if he was worried about animal rights people he would have gotten rd of Kuma and Panda

You know, there's an easy way to handle this. Movies put in lines like "No animals were harmed in the making of thie movie". The same can apply to video games. Everybody knows it's fiction, and the proviso covers their ass. Everything else on the matter is stuff and nonsense.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here