CD Projekt Red Says Cyberpunk 2077 Files are Being Held for Ransom

CD Projekt Red Says Cyberpunk 2077 Files are Being Held for Ransom

cdp-logo-320

CD Projekt Red is facing ransom demands over some early design documents for Cyberpunk 2077.

We haven't heard much about Cyberpunk 2077 lately, but if some shady individuals have their way, some info might leak out soon. In a press release today, CD Projekt Red announced that it was being held up for ransom by someone who had gotten hold of "a few internal files" containing information about the game.

According to CDP, "A demand for ransom has been made, saying that should we not comply, the files will be released to the general public." The company says that the documents in question are "old and largely unrepresentative of the current vision for the game."

CD Projekt Red says that it is "not giving in to the demands," and that it has contacted the "appropriate legal authorities." It cautions fans that "it would be best for you to avoid any information not coming directly from CD Projekt Red."

There's still no word on when we'll hear more about Cyberpunk 2077, but we're hoping someone doesn't leak misleading info before CDP gets its chance to show the game off.

The irony is that the only reason this might hurt the game is because the people who like CDPR would actually seek this information out, instead of disregarding it to support the devs.

Aetrion:
The irony is that the only reason this might hurt the game is because the people who like CDPR would actually seek this information out, instead of disregarding it to support the devs.

I honestly don't believe that the fans would go out of their way to actively search for the info.

Now gaming "journalists" are a completely different story. Just think of all the clicks you could generate with alle the "HOT TAKE SUPAH SECRET LEEKZ" articles.

Eh...weak sauce, ransom bastard. Gonna have to do better than out-of-date files to threaten spoiling the game for anybody. Should've robbed the office cat instead.

Xsjadoblayde:
Should've robbed the office cat instead.

YOU LEAVE MR. WHISKERS OUT OF THIS, YOU MONSTER!

OT: Goes to show shitty things happen to good devs. Least I can do is comply with their request and avoid the leaks.

Incidentally, I wonder, if you cyber-attack cyberpunk, does that put you in league with cyberskinheads?

Aetrion:

Well, the worry is that the old out of date info would mislead people. Those loyal to CD Projekt likely wont be dissuaded. Its people on the fence who are most likely to discredit the game cause of the misinformation.

Saelune:

Aetrion:

Well, the worry is that the old out of date info would mislead people. Those loyal to CD Projekt likely wont be dissuaded. Its people on the fence who are most likely to discredit the game cause of the misinformation.

Let's be real here, as soon as the game releases every game critic is going to play through it. It's going to be big on twitch for a few days, and there's going to be plenty of coverage. CDPR has established themselves as makers of quality things. Anyone "on the fence" wont be dissuaded because someone leaked 2 year old documents a year before the release.

Probably the biggest downside will be a bunch of people complaining that they should've gone with the old documents' design.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Pyrian:
Probably the biggest downside will be a bunch of people complaining that they should've gone with the old documents' design.

Pretty much. Especially after the downgrade controversy of Witcher 3. Some people will want their pound of flesh.

ksn0va:
downgrade controversy of Witcher 3

Downgrading and optimisation were necessary to get the game to run on consoles.

OT: Let me hazard a guess as to what the design documents include; It's a cyberpunk game. Set in a dystopian future. There will be cybernetic body parts. Shooting. Hacking minigames.

But seriously, they already said they scrapped their earlier work. So the documents are most likely no longer worth the paper they are written on.

008Zulu:

ksn0va:

Once again, consoles stand in the way of progress.

" The company says that the documents in question are "old and largely unrepresentative of the current vision for the game."

When a wannabe ransomer steals and tries to ransom valuable information but rolls a 1.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't something like this happen to Valve years ago (back when they were still a game company and could do no wrong)? Someone stole their code and leaked it. Now granted, that person didn't demand money, but still.

And Valve appealed to their fans and the fans responded. They helped track that person down and he ended up turning himself in if I remember right.
Judging by everything I hear about CD Projekt Red, I can't help but feel that this would happen with them as well. If they asked for help tracking this person down after their stuff is released, I'm pretty sure their fans would rally big time and find whoever is responsible.

008Zulu:

ksn0va:

OT: Let me hazard a guess as to what the design documents include; It's a cyberpunk game. Set in a dystopian future. There will be cybernetic body parts. Shooting. Hacking minigames.

But seriously, they already said they scrapped their earlier work. So the documents are most likely no longer worth the paper they are written on.

Witcher 3 ended up being a great game. It's all in the past now, including those old Cyberpunk docs. But you know some people can't let these things go.

ive been waiting since 1990 for this game and someone dares pull this sort of crap??? thats it who wants to crowd fund a wet work team

Hang on, this could actually go in CDProject Red's favour. A game in a Cyberpunk setting having it's data held for ransom after being leaked or hacked? That's cyberpunk AS FUCK! If they play their cards right, this will all come up Milhouse for them.

The title of this article, in wake of the WannaCry virus, nearly gave me a full on stroke.

I suggest hiring a black ops team consisting of chill street operators to go and get the data disk back. No witnesses eh gato? No one messes with CDPRCorp and gets away with it.

Gordon_4:
Hang on, this could actually go in CDProject Red's favour. A game in a Cyberpunk setting having it's data held for ransom after being leaked or hacked? That's cyberpunk AS FUCK! If they play their cards right, this will all come up Milhouse for them.

... I like the way you think. It's basically free tongue-in-cheeck advertising.

"The game so cyberpunk its data actually got hacked and held for ransom"

That should be a blurb on the box.

It cautions fans that "it would be best for you to avoid any information not coming directly from CD Projekt Red."

Are they actually joking? There is *no* information coming from CDPR, direct or otherwise. I love their games, their pro-consumer ethos and will be buying this shit on release day, but I'll be looking at any leaked documents first chance I get! They could give us screenies, info, anything...they even set up a web site with a supposed "dev diary" that got like 2 entries, showed how the trailer got made, and got abandoned.

I'll take leaks over nothing any day.

Dornedas:

Aetrion:

I honestly don't believe that the fans would go out of their way to actively search for the info.

Now gaming "journalists" are a completely different story. Just think of all the clicks you could generate with alle the "HOT TAKE SUPAH SECRET LEEKZ" articles.

You very nearly contradicted yourself there.

Who do you think would be providing a lot of those terrible, terrible clicks?

If journalists did that they would be doing it because, as you pointed out, there would be demand for it.

Turns out it's a Shadowrun fan who held a grudge from the playground days.

ffronw:
CD Projekt Red says that it is "not giving in to the demands," and that it has contacted the "appropriate legal authorities." It cautions fans that "it would be best for you to avoid any information not coming directly from CD Projekt Red."

That seems like the sensible way to deal with this. In any case, what is the worst that might happen. Some information gets released earlier than CDPR would have liked?

The penultimate worst that could happen is if they had the overall plot arc planned out at the start already. The worst that could happen is if they did a rewrite because of the leak.

PS. double plus worst if they hire Mac Walters to do a rewrite.

Given the slew of "ransomware" that recently passed through Europe, I was concerned this might be... something much worse.

Trying to extort some money for some old files, no longer in use? Meh. CD Projekt has made the appropriate announcement, and hopefully tightened their security to prevent anything more significant from being stolen. I don't see that they need to do anything else; it seems likely that damage will be minimal. Hell, it might even fall under the "no press is bad press" adage; how long has it been since there's been a significant news piece or interview on the Cyberpunk game?

The would-be extortionists are still scum, mind you.

Seems like another Disney advertising stunt given that they refused to pay, and the files were not leaked. Rule #1 when blackmailing is to never fail to deliver on your threat. Hackers did not steal Pirates 5, and I doubt they stole CDPR's files. Besides if this is such early work and non-indicative of the real game, why bother admitting you still cannot manage your security properly?

Callate:
Given the slew of "ransomware" that recently passed through Europe, I was concerned this might be... something much worse.

Trying to extort some money for some old files, no longer in use? Meh. CD Projekt has made the appropriate announcement, and hopefully tightened their security to prevent anything more significant from being stolen. I don't see that they need to do anything else; it seems likely that damage will be minimal. Hell, it might even fall under the "no press is bad press" adage; how long has it been since there's been a significant news piece or interview on the Cyberpunk game?

The would-be extortionists are still scum, mind you.

significant news? nothing since the teaser trailer

CDPR really need more Hellhounds on their server to deter this kind of netrunner.

One up um - release what they were planning to leak or better - explain why and ensure they can generate 0 interest from their work

Are these idiots demanding bitcoins too or are they a completely different buncha' nutjobs?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here