BIoware Says "Something is Happening with Dragon Age"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BIoware Says "Something is Happening with Dragon Age"

dragon-age-inquisition-320

It sounds like the Dragon Age team is ramping up for a sequel to Inquisition.

Let's be honest: We've all been expecting a sequel to Dragon Age: Inquisition for a while. While some rumors have bounced around, there's been little in the way of official confirmation. That changed on this weeks' episode of The 1099 Podcast.

On that episode, Dragon Age creative director Mike Laidlaw said that "something is happening with Dragon Age." He didn't offer specifics about what that "something" might be, but he did go on to confirm that the Dragon Age team at Bioware is "hiring a lot of people."

Laidlaw also vaguely mentioned that Bioware was working on "other things" as well. "There are other things in process but unfortunately I can't talk about them until they are realized. I am pretty excited about a few of them. Things continue apace," he said. "As I've jokingly said, I am the creative director for the Dragon Age franchise and they haven't fired me yet."

When it launched, Dragon Age: Inquisition sold fairly well, in fact, it was the most successful launch in Bioware history at the time. Despite some problems with the PC controls, it went on to win several Game of the Year awards. So it should be no surprise that there's a new game in the series being made.

There are still no specifics, but if you're a Dragon Age fan, you definitely have something to look forward to.

Can you please make it PC exclusive, have the combat of Origins and take place in Ferelden again?

Hopefully using a different team then Andromeda. They've basically killed one franchise, let's see if they plan to kill another.

"Welp, we killed Mass Effect deader than a doornail. Let's fire up Dragon Age again, see if we have better luck this time."

Something is happening with Dragon Age, EA have made us hand it over to another studio, who are going to spend five years and tens of millions of dollars making a game nobody likes, it's going to sell horribly, kill the franchise and the studio will get closed, it's going to be great guys!

Perhaps I am a little jaded when it comes announcement srevolving around EA franchises.

I'm actually interested how the new lead writer will do things, he wrote some of the best characters and missions in the Mass Effect games, but sadly one writer isn't enough to carry a game.

ffronw:
BIoware Says "Something is Happening with Dragon Age

If it doesn't involve the design team ,a plastic five liter gas tank and a signal flare, i don't give a shit.

Makes sense. Inquisition's DLC pretty much confirmed a sequel anyway.

Samtemdo8:
Can you please make it PC exclusive, have the combat of Origins and take place in Ferelden again?

It's gonna take place in Nevarra unless I'm mistaken. Aka Notspain.

Dalsyne:
Makes sense. Inquisition's DLC pretty much confirmed a sequel anyway.

Samtemdo8:

No, it was in Tevinter. Aka Evil Mages Empire.

Regardless, I hope they ditch their open world. It was horrible in Dragon Age Inquistion and slightly less horrible in Mass Effect Andromeda.

I've always preferred Dragon Age to Mass Effect, but after ME:Andromeda I think that series has much more potential, narrative and lore wise in terms of 'what happens next'. Still, as hugely flawed as DA:I was I still loved its characters and culture/s, and so another trip to Thedas is always good.

dragongit:
Hopefully using a different team then Andromeda. They've basically killed one franchise, let's see if they plan to kill another.

Hyperbole on teh internetz?! Why I never!

Day1 release state aside (hence why I was smart and waited till several patches had been rolled out), there was nothing particularly bad about ME:A at all (I felt it turned out to be one of BioWare's best). ME:A replicated so much of DA:I's structure and design, yet did it well - so if it would be the same team then they can improve on the formula again (if they insist on doing the semi open-world thing again).

Dalsyne:

Why do you say Nevarra? Surely Trespasser pointed towards Tevinter? I suppose it could be interpreted as only indicating where the Inquisitor and their remaining companions would be heading next, but to me ending a whole game on that note surely points towards the sequel's eventual location, not the current game's protagonist.

I never even beat Inquisition. Like, 80 hours on it with multiple saves. It's just so damn exhausting.

Darth Rosenberg:
Hyperbole on teh internetz?! Why I never!

so if it would be the same team then they can improve on the formula again (if they insist on doing the semi open-world thing again).

One thing that is for certain is that it won't be the same team that made Andromeda, since EA closed the studio and is in the process of bumping the staff around to other projects.

EA also stated they were 'shelving' Mass Effect as a franchise, so whilst Andromeda's merits as a game are better than the response it got, it did prompt EA to kill the franchise.

"We're turning Dragon Age into another soulless MMO! I mean, the worlds were already vast and empty, your decisions already made barely any difference what so ever, and our characters are bland and pointless. What I'm saying is it was already an MMO, we're just adding always online requirements! Aren't you excited? We're excited!"

Nope. Not excited. I loved DA:O, and I played through DA2 several times and quite enjoyed it despite the outrage. DA:I was Assassins Creed: Dungeons and Dragons Edition. I honestly don't believe Bioware even knows what people who played DA:O want anymore. Hint: Witcher 3 was what we wanted, but with a character creator.

Samtemdo8:

Why would anyone want that shitty combat system?

Cether:
"We're turning Dragon Age into another soulless MMO! I mean, the worlds were already vast and empty, your decisions already made barely any difference what so ever, and our characters are bland and pointless. What I'm saying is it was already an MMO, we're just adding always online requirements! Aren't you excited? We're excited!"

Nope. Not excited. I loved DA:O, and I played through DA2 several times and quite enjoyed it despite the outrage. DA:I was Assassins Creed: Dungeons and Dragons Edition. I honestly don't believe Bioware even knows what people who played DA:O want anymore. Hint: Witcher 3 was what we wanted, but with a character creator.

I don't know who you're speaking for, but that's not what I want at all. I love the Witcher 3, but I definitely don't want that gameplay for my Dragon Age games. Now, they could take some pointers on how the Witcher sidequests worked. Sidequests that actually feel like you are making a difference and have strong characters. But gameplay wise, I enjoy how the Dragon Age games work, I just wish the tactical mode had been better.

RealRT:

Samtemdo8:

Personally, I feel it's dated and not really popular anymore, I don't really mind that kind of gameplay. It's just that you usually see it from an isometric point of view. But on the topic of where things should take place, hell no. God Ferelden is so boring. I welcome even the hopes that it will take place somewhere as complex and interesting as Tevinter. Also, maybe we'll get to learn even more about the Qunari and the Qun since they are always at war with the Vints.

Samtemdo8:

Based on what happened in Tresspasser, I'd say we're going to the Tevinter Imperium.

fix-the-spade:
One thing that is for certain is that it won't be the same team that made Andromeda, since EA closed the studio and is in the process of bumping the staff around to other projects.

Can you find a source for it closing the studio, as opposed to moving some people elsewhere and making BioWare Montreal a 'support' studio? Because those two things are not the same thing, and the latter's what the reports and EA indicated.

EA also stated they were 'shelving' Mass Effect as a franchise, so whilst Andromeda's merits as a game are better than the response it got, it did prompt EA to kill the franchise.

Well, no... As far as I know, and according to EA's statement, due to the above a sequel won't be going into production. They said absolutely nothing about 'killing' or ending any IP.

Was ME:A's peculiarly amateurish launch responsible for ME going on a hiatus? Sure, but again, that's not at all the same thing. If this all results in the next ME having a longer dev cycle and - more importantly - a cogent roadmap from the outset, then ultimately everyone will be thankful ME5 isn't going into production any time soon.

Cether:

Gimme Thedas over Witcher's world [and characters] any day of the week, but maybe that's just me.

Did you play ME:Andromeda? That 'fixed' pretty much all of DA:I's glaring flaws, at least in terms of gameflow and structure (I liked ME:A's cast well enough, but DA:I's were - to me - superior, as was the vast majority of character narrative writing). Regardless of who may end up working on the next DA, there's a great template for them to iterate from if they insist on keeping a similar overall structure (though I'd rather they did something more conceptually ambitious and smaller scale like DAII).

Samtemdo8:

Only without the retarded AI. And make it more than brown. Another area is okay with me too, but I don't mind Ferelden. Then I'm good.

I don't think the devs should even bother pretending their games will be good. They should just announce the game a week before release and say something like "it's finished I guess".

Gordon_4:

Samtemdo8:

Based on what happened in Tresspasser, I'd say we're going to the Tevinter Imperium.

Given how little the developers cared for continuity in the previous installments of that series, they probably ignore whatever they hinted at in the DLC and set the next game on the moon.

Please no more shovelware fetchquests in your huge empty open world a l? DA:I. I was a huge fan of DA:O and DAII, huge fan of the lore, but I couldn't get myself to play DA:I past getting your..castle..or whatever. Because the game is bloated and boring. So boring.

RealRT:

Samtemdo8:

I dunno, I found the auto-attack to be a savoir from carpal tunnel syndrome.

Cool. Looking forward to finally seeing Tevinter from the inside and finding out that--surprise, surprise--Dorian was right and the place isn't just filled with evil mustache-twirling crazy mages, but is in fact a far more complicated society than what we've been told.

But I better get some answers this time, BioWare. Dragon Age II: Legacy hinted at some MAJOR stuff, and then when we found out who the villain was in Inquisition, I was all set for pieces to start falling into place, but you pulled the rug out from under my feet about two hours before the end of the game. I'm pretty sure the Tevintar Old Gods were just the Elf Gods trying to free themselves after everything from Trespasser, but I'm getting tired of having all these little bits of knowledge dangled in front of me. It's been four games. Throw us some bones already.

Also, pull the focus back in, as many have said. Inquisition was too big, too padded with nothing. Tighten up the story and the quests, like in Origins and (kind of) in II.

Samtemdo8:

Just play Origins over and over again. Let's not repeat ourselves.

Dalrien:

Samtemdo8:

Just play Origins over and over again. Let's not repeat ourselves.

I'm fairly certain that was the joke.

Well, so long as they actually assign people who know how to manage a project to the team, I'm down for it. Despite Inquisition over-staying it's welcome with far, far, far too many side-quests and gigantic-arse maps that you out-level through the story missions, I did quite enjoy it.

...maybe don't put multiplayer in this one though. Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer? That was fun. Inquisitions? Painfully dull.

Samtemdo8:

...wait, someone actually liked Origins combat? How? Why?

(well ok as unbalanced as the mages were it was a fun tactical battle system, but still)

On a slightly related note, the capitalization typo in the title makes it look like you're calling them "Bloware."

Gibbagobba:
On a slightly related note, the capitalization typo in the title makes it look like you're calling them "Bloware."

That's a typo? And there I was hoping that The Escapist was growing some balls.

Wrex Brogan:
Well, so long as they actually assign people who know how to manage a project to the team, I'm down for it. Despite Inquisition over-staying it's welcome with far, far, far too many side-quests and gigantic-arse maps that you out-level through the story missions, I did quite enjoy it.

...maybe don't put multiplayer in this one though. Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer? That was fun. Inquisitions? Painfully dull.

Samtemdo8:

(well ok as unbalanced as the mages were it was a fun tactical battle system, but still)

I remember there being a mage spell in Origins that immediately destroyed opposing mages. If you didn't get it, fights were way more difficult. Having enemies mages being so overpowered was not enjoyable.

I also remember being way overpowered for the final fight in Origins. Like 10 levels. It was trivial.

I'd like a decent villain. The part of DA2 I liked was the factions and their leaders being the villains. Its not a big bad going on rampant world destruction - its just a bunch of people trying to survive and keep the world safe. But, since its Bioware, who are aren't well known for making villains be (or remain) good, I don't have faith. (Think Saverok, who was never good, or the Repears, who seems badass but ended up being a mess.)

Samtemdo8:

PC exclusive would be preferable, but not financially feasible.

As for the other two requests, I'd rather not have bland, painfully slow tedium taking place in Generic_Fantasy_Country_01, thanks.

trunkage:

Wrex Brogan:

Samtemdo8:

I remember there being a mage spell in Origins that immediately destroyed opposing mages. If you didn't get it, fights were way more difficult. Having enemies mages being so overpowered was not enjoyable.

I also remember being way overpowered for the final fight in Origins. Like 10 levels. It was trivial.

I'd like a decent villain. The part of DA2 I liked was the factions and their leaders being the villains. Its not a big bad going on rampant world destruction - its just a bunch of people trying to survive and keep the world safe. But, since its Bioware, who are aren't well known for making villains be (or remain) good, I don't have faith. (Think Saverok, who was never good, or the Repears, who seems badass but ended up being a mess.)

Hilariously enough, because Origins was really weirdly programmed, you were probably 10 levels higher than the final boss - the way the game worked was that enemy levels would scale to a minimum when you first enter the area, but for some reason the final boss area was tied to Denarim, which you first hit at like... level 5. So the ultimate final boss is stuck at level 16 while you come busting in waaay overleveled and overgeared for what he was offering.

In short, it was a really fucking dumb scaling system.

And yeah, some solid villains would be nice this time. I liked Loghain in the first one as an antagonist, and the murky politics and factions of 2 were pretty solid, but the third one was a bit... meh. A shame since I thought Corypheus was actually an interesting character lore-wise, but as a main-stay villain he just... was far too generic dark lord.

Wrex Brogan:

Hilariously enough, because Origins was really weirdly programmed, you were probably 10 levels higher than the final boss - the way the game worked was that enemy levels would scale to a minimum when you first enter the area, but for some reason the final boss area was tied to Denarim, which you first hit at like... level 5. So the ultimate final boss is stuck at level 16 while you come busting in waaay overleveled and overgeared for what he was offering.

In short, it was a really fucking dumb scaling system.

And yeah, some solid villains would be nice this time. I liked Loghain in the first one as an antagonist, and the murky politics and factions of 2 were pretty solid, but the third one was a bit... meh. A shame since I thought Corypheus was actually an interesting character lore-wise, but as a main-stay villain he just... was far too generic dark lord.

Corypheus was cool in DA2 DLC right? That's what I remember. And he was then boring in DA3. How did that happen? (I not willing to replay DA2 to find out)

I did forget about the Architect. He was pretty cool.

I've never managed to get further in Inquisition than outside of the opening area. Shame really as I bought all the DLC in a sale.

The controls were terrible, slightly better with a controller but only slightly. If the character didn't come from Dragon Age II then Bioware didn't bother to spend time making them recognisable, it was really quite off-putting to hear a familiar voice coming from an unfamiliar face.

I could go on for a while but I'd better stop. I loved Origins, I could tolerate DAII for the character banter, but Inquisition doesn't even appeal on any level.

trunkage:

Corypheus was cool in DA2 DLC right? That's what I remember. And he was then boring in DA3. How did that happen? (I not willing to replay DA2 to find out)

I did forget about the Architect. He was pretty cool.

I think it's just a case of motivation and presence - in the DLC he didn't really have any motivation, but he was just so deeply connected to the lore about the Darkspawn and such a powerful figure that he became interesting. Here we had one of the first Magisters, who'd broken into the Golden City and now seemed to be half-Darkspawn, who was a god damn brutal boss fight through his sheer magical power. There was so many ways it could go, so many different threads and stories that could be explored through him.

...and then in DA3, he's just... a generic villain. He has barely any presence in the story, his motivations make little sense and all the interesting threads had been suddenly and viciously dropped without a word. He's not connected to the lore or the Darkspawn, has very little to do with Tevinter, and showcases little of the power he had in the DLC (where, mind, he had just been freshly awoken) with his boss fight here being laughably easy. He's just so... poorly presented throughout the whole game.

There also wasn't any moral depth to him. He was just... evil. Loghain was complex. The Architect was complex. Hell, the DA2 villains were complex, and had clear motivations and sympathetic viewpoints that changed until they were antagonists. But Corypheus is just... evil. A Bad Guy. No depth, no complexity, no sympathetic motivations outside a single line at the end of his boss fight. Just a straight out of the box Generic Evil Overlord with a standardized 'Kill 'Em All' brand Evil Plan. Rather boring, really.

Inquisition was gorgeous to look at (especially the last zone of the Trespasser DLC), but an absolute chore to play through, at some points.

If BioWare can learn from its mistakes with DA:I and ME:A, we'll hopefully have a good game on our hands, but if they just pull a post-ME2 BioWare and just fuck everything up, I think Dragon Age will be shelved "indefinitely", too.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here