Rumor: No Single-Player DLC Coming for Mass Effect: Andromeda

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: No Single-Player DLC Coming for Mass Effect: Andromeda

me-andromeda-320

Rumor has it that the planned single-player DLC for Mass Effect: Andromeda has been canceled for good.

Yesterday, a Facebook post made the rounds claiming that Bioware had cancelled Mass Effect: Andromeda's planned DLC. While that Facebook post turned out to be a hoax, sources are telling Kotaku the gist of the post was correct: Mass Effect: Andromeda will not be getting any single-player DLC.

This would be the first game in the series not to receive any single-player content post-launch. Some were good, like Lair of the Shadow Broker, and some were not so good, like Mass Effect 3's Citadel. Apparently the disappointing reviews and numerous problems the game has had have resulted in Bioware cutting some planned additions.

There were rumors back in May that the series had been put on indefinite hold and Bioware employees transferred to new projects.

Today Kotaku says that it has confirmed with three separate sources that the news of cancelled single-player DLC is accurate. Bioware has still not commented on the issue, but we've reached out for comment.

If this news pans out, it will be a big disappointment for fans of the series. Of course, Bioware could still change its mind or make new plans. After all, the only constant in this industry is change.

Sure you don't mean Omega and not Citadel in that post about not so good DLC?

Wait what? Citadel wasn't considered good? It was GREAT and my personal headcanon actual ending of the game :|

Are you high? Citadel was the best DLC of Mass Effect's original trilogy.

You must be trolling. Citadel is universally considered the best Mass Effect THING, period.

I assume the Citadel reference was a mistake.

As for the story: is it a story? Can something be "cancelled" when it might not have been planned? I don't recall ever hearing of plans for SP DLC, just the free MP support.

Regardless, it's a shame. I guess I'll have to wait for a sequel till I can bloody well drive/run around Meridian... Andromeda had some nifty worlds to explore, but the best was saved till last - and to not be able to actually explore that, post-credits, was a horrible [in a good way] tease.

I'd love to get those ME3 DLCs on sale, but ever since they were available, they have not been. It probably has something to do with that silly Bioware point thing.

Like I needed another reason not to buy that game...

I don't like to think about the endings too much. My headcanon ends along the lines of '...and after killing Tim, there was a big battle on and around Earth. Some stuff happens, the Reapers are dead, and Shepard might be.' Andromeda. Didn't. Happen.

Yeah, Omega was pretty terrible, Citadel was hilarious and lot's of fun (and for a moment, the universe ran out ammunition).

This isn't exactly surprising, EA effectively killed the studio that made it and put the entire franchise 'on hold,' I wasn't holding my breath for any more story. Andromeda's story being pretty terrible didn't help either.

I would imagine EA's business strategy revolves around selling loot boxes through the in game store, like it was with 3.

Soviet Heavy:
Sure you don't mean Omega and not Citadel in that post about not so good DLC?

Zydrate:
Wait what? Citadel wasn't considered good? It was GREAT and my personal headcanon actual ending of the game :|

TT Kairen:
You must be trolling. Citadel is universally considered the best Mass Effect THING, period.

Darth Rosenberg:
I assume the Citadel reference was a mistake.

Nope, he meant it. He has mentioned before how he doesn't care for The Citadel DLC in other posts about the game. I will let him explain if he so chooses, but he has his reasons.

Anyway, if this turns out to be true--if BioWare does just go, "Screw it, we're done", then 'pissed' doesn't even begin to describe my feelings. You don't tease the stuff you did in the end of the game and then not give us SOMETHING. I'm already ticked that I'm apparently not going to get the rest of this story period, but damn it, at least give me the DLC that the transmission hinted at.

I haven't played it and I doubt I ever will. That having been said, from what I've been told isn't the whole game designed to be filled in by DLC?

You must be insane; Citadel was easily one of the best Mass Effect DLCs.

Yes, it was essentially a side story. But it had all the best parts of ME in it, wrapped up with some combat and plenty of humor.

Citadel sucked. Shit story that used humour as a copout for being poorly thought out schlock, no real worthwile conflict/ideas/moral questions, choices being meaningless fluff, slobbering over 'characters' that amounted to 14 yo fanfic tier fanservice like the fucking house party and everyone circling around the drain known as their 1 derived character trait and nothing else. And everyone is super fucking quirky and off the cuff when they talk. Oh yeah, this was totally what ME was about.

People wonder how face is tired level writing was the norm for Andromeda, guess what, Citadel is the shit that started that trash, and it wasn't a whole lot better either. Literally, the only reason people didn't shit on Citadel, is because the people who would've complained were long gone since the main game was shit, so all that were left were superfans. Come MEA, they were back, and whoop-de-doo, suddenly it's pointed out en masse how the dialogue is embarrassing and the character's wit is as sharp as the underside of a hippo. Reap what you, sow I guess.

OT: Ho ho, good riddance. Shit game gets to die, justice is served.

I'm not bothered. I was actually happy when that damned thing ended and i could finally free up space on my hard drive, i don't want more of it..

Huh, I'd always assumed they had lots of story DLC planned. The story in the main game doesn't really get started until almost the end, I thought it got cut out to be sold back later.

so the fact that this whole thing was debunked mean nothing because Kotaku says its "sources" say the just of it was correct? you know the guy famous for screwing up stories and making shit up...........seriously guys unless EA or Bioware states it as a fact this is just rumor and conjecture. so in other words, and i hate to say this for fear of backlash, fake news or non news.

Honestly happy about this, I may think the poor saps who bought the game at launch expecting anything other than a dumpster fire are idiots, but I'd rather have the game die off quietly in said dumpster than having it run around selling fake rolexes to said saps for a quick buck.

Holy manure this feels like Chef's death from South Park all over again.
Or like Aisha's actual death in Saints Row 2.
As in I thought "X" was already dead but now "X" is dead again.

Zydrate:

I second this statement, as far as I'm concerned the worst everyone had to deal with after the Destroy ending wasn't figuring out how to bring the synthetics back to life, it was dealing with hangovers.

I thought the Citadel DLC was amazing...but I gave it some thought now and ME:A is basically an 80 hour game with the tone of that DLC throughout entirely, and that is horrid.

The Citadel was likely so enjoyable for us because ME3 was trying to be such a serious, somewhat dark story as it tried to make Sheppard care that some stupid kid died because he was a stupid kid on a world that was burning. So when we finally got a piece of DLC that wasn't lore filled crap like the Leviathan DLC, we got something that was lighthearted and enjoyable compared to the "gritty realism of galactic warfare," and that was very welcome after spending a couple dozen hours brooding over the possible death of the galaxy to our literal space overlords.

I seriously doubt this news will be countered though. There's no future in this game, despite all the apparent roadwork bioware laid down. There won't be another arc, there won't be a new big bad, there won't be any answers to explain the second ancient race that happened to seed an entire galaxy with technology and literally created life, and we won't get to bang a krogan.

Didn't Andromeda leave a crap ton of cliffhangers meant to be resolved through DLC? The one I specifically remember was the Quarian ark.

Bob_McMillan:
Didn't Andromeda leave a crap ton of cliffhangers meant to be resolved through DLC? The one I specifically remember was the Quarian ark.

There is an AI in the game that has been around for thousands of years, to the point it wants you to kill it when you find it, and you can bring it up to your ship and it does NOTHING. Serves no purpose at all beyond a single static conversation that affects nothing. It could, and should have answers to every single question a person could have, and in the game, it just sits next to your AI and does math stuff. This was the one thing I really wanted expanded on when I discovered it in the game, and it's so fucking pointless.

DeadProxy:

Bob_McMillan:

There is an AI in the game that has been around for thousands of years, to the point it wants you to kill it when you find it, and you can bring it up to your ship and it does NOTHING. Serves no purpose at all beyond a single static conversation that affects nothing. It could, and should have answers to every single question a person could have, and in the game, it just sits next to your AI and does math stuff. This was the one thing I really wanted expanded on when I discovered it in the game, and it's so fucking pointless.

It's Andromeda, expecting something other than either fucking pointless, irrelevant, preachy, or "quirky for the sake of being quirky" is the road to insanity.

TT Kairen:

Opinions... Not everyone considers it "the best" or even good. It was cringe worthy and boring, to me and many others.

Sniper Team 4:

Nope, he meant it. He has mentioned before how he doesn't care for The Citadel DLC in other posts about the game. I will let him explain if he so chooses, but he has his reasons.

All of them being wrong. He's batshit crazy if he thinks Citadel was a bad DLC. It's no Lair of the Shadow Broker, but its better then the other DLC by far.

Who would buy it anyway? You can polish a turd, but deep down, it's still a turd.

DeadProxy:

Bob_McMillan:

Actually, I'm going to bet they set up a ton of cliffhangers to be resolved through DLC and sequels. Along with a promise of "We're sorry Andromeda was a mess. If you just pre-order Andromeda 2, we so totally promise it'll be the game you wanted Andromeda to be and more! And if you aren't happy then, we're happy to accept Pre-orders for sequels 3, 4 and 5. We made KOTOR! You know we're awesome and can totally do this!"

AngryPuppy:

TT Kairen:

Opinions... Not everyone considers it "the best" or even good. It was cringe worthy and boring, to me and many others.

This is a news article and in such a statement should be made based on the GENERAL opinion (if opinion about something is brought up) and not just the writers opinion. The latter is just bad journalism, as far as I am concerned.

And in general, Citadel was seen as one of the best DLCs of the franchise.

Sniper Team 4:
You don't tease the stuff you did in the end of the game and then not give us SOMETHING. I'm already ticked that I'm apparently not going to get the rest of this story period, but damn it, at least give me the DLC that the transmission hinted at.

The quarian ark always felt like something the next game would deal with, not DLC. Also, I loved the idea of the arks, but unfortunately ME:A didn't exactly do much with them in terms of missions and gameplay.

Personally I found Meridian the biggest tease, and I was a little surprised you couldn't go out onto/into it after the credits. A whole new world would've been too much to ask, I suppose, but a fancy open vista with a cutscene or two wouldn't have gone amiss. They could've even staged the Epilogue sequence out there.

Xorph:
Honestly happy about this, I may think the poor saps who bought the game at launch expecting anything other than a dumpster fire are idiots, but I'd rather have the game die off quietly in said dumpster than having it run around selling fake rolexes to said saps for a quick buck.

See, all art is subjective, I know, but I really don't understand some of the hyperbolic criticism. Yes, in terms of launch state it was a "dumpster fire". But I waited several months as, I think, five or six patches were rolled out; the game I played was pretty frikkin' great. Its biggest 'crimes' were unarguably poor facial animation (and that, as Totalbiscuit pointed out, wasn't actually 'teh worst evah', it was just kinda crap), and far less consistent writing than almost any other BioWare game.

And that's about it. Hardly Road To Hell territory...

DeadProxy:
I thought the Citadel DLC was amazing...but I gave it some thought now and ME:A is basically an 80 hour game with the tone of that DLC throughout entirely, and that is horrid.

It is more light hearted, yes, but then again it's a more hopeful narrative, so doesn't that make sense? As bad as the situation is at the start of the game, it's not everyone stuck on a disastrous frontier dealing with starvation and killer climates; most people are still in cryo, as planned, and people and resources are rolled out as necessary. There is no grim, dour war or impending galactic genocide. ME:A's narrative is ultimately about building and nurturing the foothold of a new civilisation, and often the Pathfinder's duties pertain more to conflict resolution, or diplomacy (which is one of several reasons I feel ME:A's sci-fi is superior to anything in the trilogy; the player gets to 'boldly go' in a way the series has never done before. in the trilogy the galaxy and all it has to offer, bar the Reapers, is mostly old news to Shepard. in ME:A? the galaxy and all it has to offer is new to the lead as well as the player. there's a great synergy in that).

Also, a fair bit of the most goofy moments derive from player chosen dialogue responses, and so if you avoid the Casual/smartass (or whatever they're called) response across the game you'll avoid Ryder, at least, coming across so flippantly.

Being more hopeful in tone and gunning for more humour does mean the script can stumble into facepalm inducing cringe more often, sure; one flirt option with Suvi will forever stand out... Comedy is a very hard thing to do well, especially if your face tech isn't up to the challenge of depicting interplays well enough.

But I'd rather they try to mix things up, tonally, than just copy-paste what the trilogy did. I can excuse the odd glaring misstep, because personally I generally loved the tone of the game, particularly with a more empathetic, more hopeful Ryder as the POV for this specific story (I always saw Shepard as a slumped-between-two-stools failed character; never the writer's, nor the player's creation. by 3 the bias was a little more to the former, which was an improvement, but it was too little too late).

There's no future in this game, despite all the apparent roadwork bioware laid down. There won't be another arc, there won't be a new big bad, there won't be any answers to explain the second ancient race that happened to seed an entire galaxy with technology and literally created life, and we won't get to bang a krogan.

Given ME hasn't officially been 'cancelled', or 'killed', you don't have a lot of evidence to back that assessment up. I'd be incredibly surprised if this story isn't continued in a few years time. The reaction of teh internetz was hyperbolic, and often, I'd say, politically motivated by certain folk (the hapless morons who tried to sell this as 'Manveer Heir's game', for example).

If there won't be a continuation? Then that'll be a huge-- well, gaming tragedy, I suppose, for want of a better term. BioWare have absolutely no direct competition to what they create, and so for their sci-fi flavoured version of that to disappear would be a great shame (not to mention ME:A established a fantastic playground for some great stories).

talker:
Like I needed another reason not to buy that game...

I don't like to think about the endings too much. My headcanon ends along the lines of '...and after killing Tim, there was a big battle on and around Earth. Some stuff happens, the Reapers are dead, and Shepard might be.' Andromeda. Didn't. Happen.

Andromeda was a fine game. I'd say it was better than Dragon Age 2.

+Large open worlds
-Filled with a lot of nothing with non-vital side quests that add very little to character growth or story. (DA:I had these, but you could just avoid the blatant completionist filler and still have a fun experience)
-Two desert planets
-If you romance crew members instead of a squad member, meaningful interactions feels sparse. You tend to romance additional characters to keep things interesting.

They had the opportunity to craft something new, and it feels like it falls short in certain areas. Would prefer if the enemy had more shades of grey.

TheVampwizimp:

MC1980:
Citadel sucked. Shit story that used humour as a copout for being poorly thought out schlock, no real worthwile conflict/ideas/moral questions, choices being meaningless fluff, slobbering over 'characters' that amounted to 14 yo fanfic tier fanservice like the fucking house party and everyone circling around the drain known as their 1 derived character trait and nothing else. And everyone is super fucking quirky and off the cuff when they talk. Oh yeah, this was totally what ME was about.

People wonder how face is tired level writing was the norm for Andromeda, guess what, Citadel is the shit that started that trash, and it wasn't a whole lot better either. Literally, the only reason people didn't shit on Citadel, is because the people who would've complained were long gone since the main game was shit, so all that were left were superfans. Come MEA, they were back, and whoop-de-doo, suddenly it's pointed out en masse how the dialogue is embarrassing and the character's wit is as sharp as the underside of a hippo. Reap what you, sow I guess.

Wow, your sig doesn't lie, you really ARE a cantankerous pillock :D

I'd bet that 29 out of 30 people would disagree with you and the original claim in the article. Opinions are opinions, you're allowed to hate what you hate, but it's certainly an unpopular stance, and as a purported news article this kind of assertion really doesn't belong. Citadel was great, most people loved it at least as much as Lair of the Shadow Broker, and saying otherwise is disingenuous.

Guy, if people liking something and therefore saying it's awesome was an actual barometer of quality, then a lot of things that are shit would be considered the greatest thing ever. So blindly saying 'Citadel was great' is the thing that is actually disingenuous, and 'most people' has the caveat that I already mentioned. (That being that it was DLC for a shite game where that detractors wouldn't have bought, aka the people who were more critical of the main game, aka the people who had a semblance of taste since ME3 was abject garbage.)

Atleast you figured out my gimmick.

MC1980:

TheVampwizimp:

MC1980:

I'd bet that 29 out of 30 people would disagree with you and the original claim in the article. Opinions are opinions, you're allowed to hate what you hate, but it's certainly an unpopular stance, and as a purported news article this kind of assertion really doesn't belong. Citadel was great, most people loved it at least as much as Lair of the Shadow Broker, and saying otherwise is disingenuous.

Guy, if people liking something and therefore saying it's awesome was an actual barometer of quality, then a lot of things that are shit would be considered the greatest thing ever. So blindly saying 'Citadel was great' is the thing that is actually disingenuous, and 'most people' has the caveat that I already mentioned. (That being that it was DLC for a shite game where that detractors wouldn't have bought, aka the people who were more critical of the main game, aka the people who had a semblance of taste since ME3 was abject garbage.)

Oh hello Pot, I've heard a lot about you. I'm Kettle, nice to meet you.

TheVampwizimp:

MC1980:

TheVampwizimp:

Oh hello Pot, I've heard a lot about you. I'm Kettle, nice to meet you.

Cheers, how you doin' fam?

Veldie:
Are you high? Citadel was the best DLC of Mass Effect's original trilogy.

Bah.

Leviathen, Lair of the Shadow Broker, Kasumi's loyalty mission would like to say hello to you :P

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here