Blizzard Unveils 12-Foot Orc Statue at Irvine HQ

Blizzard Unveils 12-Foot Orc Statue at Irvine HQ

What do you do when you're a game developer that's richer than Croesus? If you're Blizzard, apparently you build a 12-foot bronze statue of an Orc riding a wolf outside your brand-new HQ.

Back in October, I had the opportunity to visit the Blizzard campus as part of the Blizzcon '08 Fansite Community Summit. When we were being given the tour around the brand new office complex by Diablo III Community Manager Bashiok, he paused by a large empty square in front of the main building. "Yeah, so this is where we're going to be putting the giant bronze statue of the Orc riding a wolf," he said with a grin.

As it turns out? He wasn't kidding. To celebrate the move to their new studios, Blizzard gave its employees small statuettes of one of their Warcraft Orcs riding into battle on the back of a wolf mount as their 2007-2008 holiday gift - but that wasn't good enough for the campus itself, of course. At the end of February, Blizzard officially unveiled the real thing. As promised, it's an Orc riding a wolf, made out of bronze, standing 12 feet high. It's also totally awesome.

The statue was made by New Zealand-based WETA, best known for their work on Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings film trilogy. It certainly makes sense: If you're going to turn something fantastic into something real, why not go with people who already have that sort of experience? Plus, WETA is no stranger to bringing Orcs to life - they probably have a catalog. Still, we here at Escapist HQ can't help but think it'd be funnier if it were just a random sculptor who got commissioned to build the thing: "Wait, you want me to build a what, now?"

It's difficult to imagine where Blizzard could go next after this: How do you top a giant 12-foot bronze Orc? Other than a theme park, of course.

Reports that top European guilds - impatient for the new Ulduar instance - are planning on raiding the statue for phat epic lewtz have yet to be confirmed.

(Via Kotaku, Images)

i kinda find this hilarius, but now im starting to wonder if there going to do the same to all of their franchises or if other companies will follow suet. also it would be nice if they took more pics from different angles

Skizle:
i kinda find this hilarius, but now im starting to wonder if there going to do the same to all of their franchises or if other companies will follow suet. also it would be nice if they took more pics from different angles

The OC Register has some good pictures too. :)

It's unbelievable, they turn shit to gold :S

Only thing I can see that would make it TOTALLY perfect is for him to be carrying a few severed Night elf heads in his hand! FOR THE HORDE!

That's quite impressive, what have you guys got at The Escapist HQ? A huge Yahtzee statue? Now that would be impressive.

Wow. That is goddamn awesome. I'd love to see how people that don't know about WoW or what Blizzard does react to it.

Also, I'd like to be there in 10,000 years when alien archaeologists studying the remains of our world unearth it and decide they have to throw everything they thought they knew about us out the window (or whatever aliens use for throwing stuff out of).

"Recent findings in an archeological dig have unearthed new theories about what 'Humans' actually looked like. Perhaps this new discovery will lead to more information on what actually caused 'Mankind' to go extinct. Stay tuned for further updates on the situation."

CUnk:
Wow. That is goddamn awesome. I'd love to see how people that don't know about WoW or what Blizzard does react to it.

Also, I'd like to be there in 10,000 years when alien archaeologists studying the remains of our world unearth it and decide they have to throw everything they thought they knew about us out the window (or whatever aliens use for throwing stuff out of).

They probably will think that the Gundam statue and this one were our Gods. And that Earth races were divided into the ones that believed in Giant Robots and the ones that believe in Monsters riding some kind of animal.

Anyway...this just proofs that Blizzard is a horde fanboy!

Reminds me of Games Workshop's HQ

Eagle Est1986:
That's quite impressive, what have you guys got at The Escapist HQ? A huge Yahtzee statue? Now that would be impressive.

A huge Yahtzee statue riding on a Platypus holding a gun shooting shurikens and lightning!
That must be what you are talking about!

This is the kind of thing I would do if I was ridiculously wealthy. Outside the house built to resemble Winterfell.

I'm not really a big fan of warcraft but DAMN, that's impressive.

I want one.

That's an orc? It looks kinda like John Stamos.

In all honesty, why do they need an orc statue twice as tall as a person?

That's pretty awesome! I think I recognize the axe he's holding.

Avashnea:
Only thing I can see that would make it TOTALLY perfect is for him to be carrying a few severed Night elf heads in his hand! FOR THE HORDE!

I'll do you a better idea. Night elf slave chicks. Asdrubael Vecht has slave chicks.

Warhammer 40k fans who've played Soulstorm will get it... just look at the Vecht unit.

anyone else think that those two spikes near its crotch are some sore of phallic symbolism here? awesome statue though. topped only by the

Night elf slave chicks.

heh heh, ooh right.

Awesome, but I'd rather see something Starcraft based, a Hydralisk maybe ;)

I love the statue,, but the base should be higher.

Finally the orcs get the respect they deserve!!
my gods i want a desk version of that.

Would be nice if was a bit neutral and had both factions. Like a human dueling an orc. It'd be more of a tribute to the humble origins of Blizzard's mighty empire.

It's made of bronze?

With Blizzard's money, they could have had it made out of a diamond.

Citrus Insanity:
It's made of bronze?

With Blizzard's money, they could have had it made out of a diamond.

Agreed.

They should Auction it off, they'd probably make quintrouple what the production cost was.

"Now Available! Human statue! Special Gold Edition! Comes with free copy of the Litch King!"

I want one for my front lawn.

To keep the kids off it!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or