BioWare Reveals Bounty Hunter Class in The Old Republic

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BioWare Reveals Bounty Hunter Class in The Old Republic

Good news for Star Wars fans who just can't get enough Zuckuss: BioWare has confirmed that a Bounty Hunter class will be playable in the upcoming MMOG Star Wars: The Old Republic.

The Bossk-style Bounty Hunter class is the third to be revealed by BioWare, following the obvious Jedi and Sith classes, and like them, the Bounty Hunter will get its own "epic" story arc. "You're going to have as much choice in that one class as you would have had in an entire BioWare game before, because every single class gets its own story, and that's a story personal to the player," said Old Republic Lead Writer Daniel Erickson. "He gets to have his own Star Wars trilogy."

The game will be packed with lightsaber-wielding Jedi and Sith but players with a "bounty hunter fantasy" will be able to indulge their inner IG-88 as well. "These are fully engaged characters, so when you're talking to someone, the camera works just like a movie and if they're getting emotional, they're clearly getting emotional and everything makes sense," BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk said in a Eurogamer TV video. "As a player, seeing that is something that will be very surprising to people."

Erickson also revealed a bit more about the setting of the game itself, which takes place roughly 300 years after the events of the Knights of the Old Republic games and 3000 years before the Star Wars movies. "Everything is very, very tense," he said. "We are not talking cold war, we are talking constant border and skirmish war, because nobody is quite ready to say 'OK, let's throw the entire galaxy back into conflict again'."

Source: Eurogamer

this mmo just gets weirder and weirder...

Well I've found my class. I was a bounty hunter in SWG before the rapture came and destroyed everything.

For the first time ever, I'm watching my anticipation for an MMO turn from grim to eager. Not saying I'm all in though.

Think about the PvP though:
Who ALWAYS wins when it's bounty hunter vs. force-user?

Yeah, it ain't the bounty hunter.
Hopefully there'll be some kind of balancing for the whole "Deflect blaster bolts, force jump over and dismember opponent with your laser sword" thing Jedi and Sith have going for them...

I still find my lack of faith disturbing.

this is good news, but they keep giving contradictory press on it (in my eyes) -we know what player's want, to play as an established icon, not create their own- and now -player's are creating their own icon.....-

hope for the best, prepare for worst

GRoXERs:

Jango killed a Jedi or two.

Thunderhorse:
For the first time ever, I'm watching my anticipation for an MMO turn from grim to eager. Not saying I'm all in though.

This goes for me as well. I hope things turn out for the best here!

Does a bounty hunter have force powers? No. Therefore that is not the class I will be choosing.

Yay, I was hoping there would be a blaster based class.

GRoXERs:

Hopefully there'll be some kind of balancing for the whole "Deflect blaster bolts, force jump over and dismember opponent with your laser sword" thing Jedi and Sith have going for them...

As far as i know, jedi still can't deflect explosions

GRoXERs:

My friend you have just insulted me in ways that are insulting to me.
In the canon, bounty hunters have found ways to out-fight the Jedi and Sith. Boba Fett even learned a style of fighting that utilized a light-saber. Its kind of like the whole Samurai- Ninja thing.

But out of all the groups in Star Wars, I have a fondness for the Bounty Hunters, so now Im excited to see that they have been given some attention by the dev team. :)

Wouldn't it be interesting if you could be a smuggler fro the exchange or something, that would be cool.

Playing as a Jedi was never for me in SW:G anyway. I was a medic, shipwright, and lots of other things. Just goes to show Bioware recognizes the need for more than "i haz litesabr nowz".

It's interesting how fervently they're assuring us that there will be choices and story in their MMO; I'll wait it and see. If it's free-subsription, I'll probably get it. Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age are still my top upcoming games from them.

darkstone:
Wouldn't it be interesting if you could be a smuggler fro the exchange or something, that would be cool.

Yeah, working for the Exchange would be interesting. We'll have to see.

RebelRising:
It's interesting how fervently they're assuring us that there will be choices and story in their MMO; I'll wait it and see. If it's free-subsription, I'll probably get it. Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age are still my top upcoming games from them.

My thoughts exactly. MMOs aren't my thing, but if it's free or I get my hands on a free trial, I'll definitely try it. I still wish they'd just make an honest-to-god KotOR III though.

GRoXERs:

Well, since this is set 300 years after the collapse of the Old Jedi Order (caused by those meanies in KOTORII), it's very possible that the Jedi (and Sith) may still be discovering the lengths of their powers.

But they'll probably have the Force be sort of like a Mana gauge, and abilities like deflecting blaster bolts will have a constant drain on their mana. Sort of like a Mage's Mana Shield ability.

And the whole "dismember" thing never took place in Bioware games. Maybe they're still using training lightsabers.

Headless Zombie:

GRoXERs:

As far as i know, jedi still can't deflect explosions

Or fire. And I suspect there'll be a few traps to set.

RebelRising:

It isn't going to be a free-to-play MMO. I'll still probably check it out though. I've been growing bored of MMO's lately, but this one seems unique and interesting enough to hold my attention.

orannis62:

darkstone:

Yeah, working for the Exchange would be interesting. We'll have to see.

RebelRising:

My thoughts exactly. MMOs aren't my thing, but if it's free or I get my hands on a free trial, I'll definitely try it. I still wish they'd just make an honest-to-god KotOR III though.

Exactly, I hope this is true what they mean by different stories for everyone, I'm a little suspicious on that.

A Rogue class, is it? Should be fun to see those religious zealots complain on the forums about how their pitiful force abilities weren't enough to stop taking a vibrodagger in the back. =D

Sorry, but a Jedi or a Sith SHOULD be able to kill a bounty hunter if they are of the correct Jedi/Sith calibur.

There should be different tiers of obtainable skill.
The "Master Bounty Hunter" and the "Master Jedi" should be the new Tier 3 armor sets, hard to obtain statures within the game.

I wanna be Bobba Fett...But I will settle for my own made up bounty hunter!

I haven't played an MMO in quite a few years. I think I'll support this one though. I was kind of hoping that they'd go the route of Neverwinter Nights with community maintained worlds, but I guess you can't make WoW bucks without a monthly subscription. BioWare won me over with KotOR and blew my mind with Mass Effect so I have faith in their abilities to do this game justice.

The only thing I'm concerned about is with the system requirements. More polygons doesn't equate to better graphics anymore. Blizzard's choice to keep their artistic vision in their games with low system requirements is something to be commended. I hope BioWare recognizes this.

The Mandalorians will rise again!!

Malygris:

The game will be packed with lightsaber-wielding Jedi and Sith but players with a "bounty hunter fantasy" will be able to indulge their inner IG-88 as well. "These are fully engaged characters, so when you're talking to someone, the camera works just like a movie and if they're getting emotional, they're clearly getting emotional and everything makes sense," BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk said in a Eurogamer TV video. "As a player, seeing that is something that will be very surprising to people."

Now, this sounds like they're saying we can play as droids...or was this merely a reference to another bounty hunter?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what they'll do next.

I think this game should be great, I really hope it comes out for the 360, as KOTOR was an Xbox original.

Eldritch Warlord:

GRoXERs:

Jango killed a Jedi or two.

That's true, but Jango is supposedly one of the best, if not the best.

Well, until the Battle of Geonosis when he goes head to head with a Jedi Master, which is a fitting choice of words given what happens.

mattttherman3:

If Mandalorian Armour is available in the game I'd bet on seeing about 10,000 Fetts walking around.

TsunamiWombat:
I still find my lack of faith disturbing.

i Dont, i know there is going to be a Smuggler class as well,
i remember the night of the old republic games, and the Classes your companions had, im not expecting them to Stray from those at all

Casual Matt:

mattttherman3:

If Mandalorian Armour is available in the game I'd bet on seeing about 10,000 Fetts walking around.

Oh hell yeah. Mandalorians>Everyone else. Who doesn't want to be a superhuman killing machine, who can still be good and be a badass? Sith, and you have to go for the "I like the screaming" type story, Jedi and you're lumped with "Sunshine and flowers are nice, want to hug my lightsabre" which is annoying, somewhere in the middle where you can save the damsel in distress and still kick a few arses along the way is where we all want to be.

I'll probably buy the damn MMO play it, get bored of it and go back to WoW like I did whit the last 2 MMO's I played. But who knows this MMO might actually be good.

As long as there will be other classes to play, I think I might try it. If it ends up being SWG post NGE part 2, there's no way.

Hmm... very interesting: if they can pull off what they're saying about story and character stories then this has the potential to be something special, but I'm not holding my breath.

That said, it is a rare MMO that actually has me interested in playing the free trial, so I'm giving it credit for that, even though it could be some time for me to wait...

I'm really hoping that this game will be good. I just wish that it wasn't an MMO. I don't really have time in my life to devote to one of those.

please dont be crap please dont be crap please dont be crap please dont be crap please dont be crap please dont be crap

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.