The 25 Most Badass Boss-Baddies Battles

The 25 Most Badass Boss-Baddies Battles

Boss battles are a staple of videogaming, and a great boss fight can single-handedly turn a good game into an awesome one - a game that people will remember through the ages, and these are 25 of the finest bosses around.

Ever since the days where Mario first jumped onto the axe to send Bowser plummeting to molten doom, boss fights have been an integral part of the videogame experience. Sometimes they're there to put a capstone on the story, sometimes they exist simply to test all the skills that the player has honed over the rest of the level (or game). Sometimes they do both.

You know a great boss fight when you see one. It's the sort of experience that leaves you with an adrenaline rush and dying to talk to somebody about the experience - unfortunately, it's the sort of experience that's difficult to share with someone who isn't a gamer, or who hasn't played the game. When talking with a fellow gamer who knows what you're talking about, though, it's the sort of experience that can lead to an instant connection even if you've only just met.

Our colleagues at 1UP have compiled a list of their 25 favorite boss fights of all time (Warning: Spoilers!) along with some handy-dandy video footage of said fights. I can't say I agree with all of their choices - I'd put Colossus #13 on there over #1, for instance - but overall, it's a pretty fantastic list. You've got your standards - Lavos, Mother Brain, that one giant dude from Serious Sam, MGS3's The Boss - and some I'd have never even thought of (like Rez).

What do you guys think? Is this a definitive top 25? What's missing that deserves to be there?

(1UP)
(Image)

Oh god... Seven Force from Gunstar Heroes is on that list... that boss was freakin HARD.
Any way, that list seems pretty accurate I have no qualms with it.

Metroid Prime... METROID BASTARD PRIME?!

No offense to the two part glowing squid monster, but after Meta Ridley it was a piece of piss.
The Ridley fight's pretty unique in Metroid Prime as there's nowhere to run, in all the other fights you can keep some distance between you and 'it', but Ridley was constantly in your face (trying to tear it off). The near total lack of health pickups made it rock hard too.

Other than that no complaints...

Is The End, that sniper dude from MGS3 on there? Because that is the ONLY boss battle that ever made me go squee and wanna play it over.

Now I wont say it was better than (many) of these but if it stretched back to maybe 30 Sephiroth need to make an appearance. Ha and The devil from Guitar Hero III I bragged to plenty when I beat him

fix-the-spade:
Metroid Prime... METROID BASTARD PRIME?!

No offense to the two part glowing squid monster, but after Meta Ridley it was a piece of piss.
The Ridley fight's pretty unique in Metroid Prime as there's nowhere to run, in all the other fights you can keep some distance between you and 'it', but Ridley was constantly in your face (trying to tear it off). The near total lack of health pickups made it rock hard too.

Other than that no complaints...

What baffles me is they praise the "shoot him with the same colored beam" mechanic. Which not only served as a pointless excuse to make you switch weapons through out the fight, but it always, always, ALWAYS happened as you sent a charged beam at it's face.

i don't agree with quite a few of them, but i guess it's a good list

I haven't ever played (or heard of) most of the games on that list.

I'm a little surprised the Doom2 "boss" didn't make the cut. That was a pretty hard fight to win... at least without constantly saving and loading on "the critical spot".

As far as memorable boss fights go, in "Vampire, the Masquerade: Bloodlines", the fight against the Kuei-Jin woman isn't particularly hard, but it does make you go WTF!?!?!?

I'll give em credit for having Seven Force on there.

I'm glad they have the Luca Blight boss battle on there, I really can't think of a better RPG boss battle. So Badass.

I'd give them more credit if the Mana Beast or Thanatos from Secret of Mana was on there.

WoW? What? SKILL of 40 players?

If by skill = item and level grinding, then yeah... But that's a weird definition of "skill".

wow say that 5 times fast. Badass boss baddies battles

BigDragun987:
Now I wont say it was better than (many) of these but if it stretched back to maybe 30 Sephiroth need to make an appearance. Ha and The devil from Guitar Hero III I bragged to plenty when I beat him

You better have beat him on expert or your not a God/sad enough. ;)
My best badass boss is probably is probably Jecht from Final Fantasy 10, just because of the awesome music in the background

no Nihilanth?

shame

I have to say, I'm not impressed by that list. Such things will always be highly subjective, of course, but I would have mentioned the final guardian monster thingy in Clive Barker's Undying, among others... huge, lethal, and it takes perhaps ten minutes to kill IF you've got some good ammo and several effective spells fully empowered.

What else... perhaps Zilla from Shadow Warrior? A nasty little man in a huge robotic samurai suit, shooting barrages of homing missiles at you while chasing you around a giant teeter-totter over a long drop down a volcano?

I definitely wouldn't have mentioned World of Warcraft... MMORPG bosses just don't come as vivid or palpable as single player ones, at least in my opinion.

Deus Ex's Walton Simons was pretty awesome to fight too, on Realistic difficulty at least...

EDIT: Vukodlak in Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption. A tough boss and a good ending, unless you played as a monstrous fiend of course. The Vohzd (or Vozhd, or whatever) at the end of the dark ages half of the game was pretty gnarly, too -literally! And figuratively.

awesome list although some say nothing to me at all.

The bosses from the .hack series were bitches.
You had to kill them, then use a special ability on them(and if you didn't, they'd be back to half of their health) then kill them again.
My longest bossfight was roughly 2 hours.

Montgomery_Burns:
The bosses from the .hack series were bitches.
You had to kill them, then use a special ability on them(and if you didn't, they'd be back to half of their health) then kill them again.
My longest bossfight was roughly 2 hours.

Oh, yeah... I remember fighting Cubia. About five times. Not sure why they thought that would be a good idea, at least the surrounding scenery is kind of nice, I guess...?

Oh, oh, I've just remembered the best fight I've seen.

Saren fights in Mass Effect. I mean, at the end.

That list has Ultimecia...possibly one of the worst bosses ever. The fight is cool but the reason for existence is just...bad.

Ozma from FFIX is more badass!

Games need more Bruce Springsteen boss battles.

HazukiHawkins:
I have to say, I'm not impressed by that list. Such things will always be highly subjective, of course, but I would have mentioned the final guardian monster thingy in Clive Barker's Undying, among others... huge, lethal, and it takes perhaps ten minutes to kill IF you've got some good ammo and several effective spells fully empowered.

What else... perhaps Zilla from Shadow Warrior? A nasty little man in a huge robotic samurai suit, shooting barrages of homing missiles at you while chasing you around a giant teeter-totter over a long drop down a volcano?

I definitely wouldn't have mentioned World of Warcraft... MMORPG bosses just don't come as vivid or palpable as single player ones, at least in my opinion.

Deus Ex's Walton Simons was pretty awesome to fight too, on Realistic difficulty at least...

EDIT: Vukodlak in Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption. A tough boss and a good ending, unless you played as a monstrous fiend of course. The Vohzd (or Vozhd, or whatever) at the end of the dark ages half of the game was pretty gnarly, too -literally! And figuratively.

I definitely disagree. The C'Thun fight is one of my favorite boss encounters in anything ever. MMORPG boss fights can definitely be exciting, challenging, and memorable - particularly when it takes over a month to finally beat it.

Abedeus:

If by skill = item and level grinding, then yeah... But that's a weird definition of "skill".

I assure you, C'Thun was quite a test of skill at level 60, even if you had the best gear in the game :)

Abedeus:

- You have to know your skills ( how much damage they do, if they have any side effects, etc.)
- Item and skill management
- You have to rely on your party (or guild) members

Just a few things.

If you say you don't need skill to kill that boss you don't know him.

Piss poor list... I'll believe those might be hard, most of them are not really impressive... at all...

Where are the REAL bosses? The final Exosuit from the original Crysis (not the one from warhead, that one was piss easy if you got the experimental weapon, which was easy to get) or the final giant spaceship, most of the bosses from Painkiller, Jinpaichi Mishima from Tekken 5, Night Terror in Soul Calibur 3, GLaDOS from Portal... THOSE were fucking impressive...

Vlane:

Abedeus:

- You have to know your skills ( how much damage they do, if they have any side effects, etc.)

Just a few things.

It's not even just "knowing skills / item and skill management." C'Thun was very much about spatial awareness (are you sufficiently spread out so that you won't chain the beam and get someone killed, do you have places to run if a claw tentacle spawns, knowing where the safe area during Dark Glare will be), coordination (making sure that all the eye tentacles are killed ASAP especially if it's during a Glare, tanks picking up Giant Claws/people interrupting Giant Eyes, letting people know when you're in the stomach), and managing your resources as best as possible.

Maybe it's just me, but PH may have deserved a spot (the only way to eliminate him is to let him do it himself) as well as the Kegan/Alma fight from FEAR2 (perhaps an insanely fast enemy who counter acted your slow-motion wasn't novel, but Alma's side DEFINITELY was)
Sex ist eine Schlacht
Liebe ist Krieg

CantFaketheFunk:

Vlane:

Abedeus:

Just a few things.

It's not even just "knowing skills / item and skill management." C'Thun was very much about spatial awareness (are you sufficiently spread out so that you won't chain the beam and get someone killed, do you have places to run if a claw tentacle spawns, knowing where the safe area during Dark Glare will be), coordination (making sure that all the eye tentacles are killed ASAP especially if it's during a Glare, tanks picking up Giant Claws/people interrupting Giant Eyes, letting people know when you're in the stomach), and managing your resources as best as possible.

Yeah I'm going to agree with Funk on this one. While what Abedues and Vlane say are true C'thun was really something that pushed WoW to a new limit when it came to cordination. Sure you can know your skills and the enemies skills but you also had to be aware of the space of who was around you.

Items did have to be pushed to an extreme level making use of maxing out weapons and armor for the best effect possible and that was a lot harder than it sounded thanks to random drops. You could not enforce your play style in that fight if you were a healer or a caster dps. It was very rigid on how good of gear you had to have making all those cthun armor very valuable for the classes that could use it. Even full tier 2 raid groups had trouble because they lacked the damage or healing.

Relying on your raid is especially expressed here because you went from being a tight niche group of 5 in a very specific place to having your raid on one half of the room and the ones needing heals are inside Cthun. If one healer, tank or caster missed a silence, stun or heal it could actually be game over. There was no "pick-up" on that fight. Once you fall behind in damage output your raid will be overrun.

I'd have to say that I disagree with almost the entirety of that list.

Some picks of mine...
Darktooth from Twisted Metal 2 - Not overly hard, but badass enough to merit 25th place or so...

Gemini Man from Megaman 3 - TWO bosses, one arena, and I'ma gonna open an energy cube of whoopass.

Cyberdemon from Doom - How can a list of the twenty-five most badass boss fights not have him?
Cyberdemon from Doom3 - Same argument, picked for different reasons. Bigger, meaner, and 3D, Doom3 Cyberdemon ROCKS! And the fight against him included limitless minion spawns.

Diamond, Ruby, Ultima, and Emerald Weapon from FF7 - These four monsters literally define what an epic boss fight is. Ruby and Emerald both being infinitely harder to kill than the game's final boss, and all four of them being the kind of fight where you disconnect the phone, lock the door, and cover the windows so nobody interrupts you.

The Great and Mighty Pooh of Conker's Bad Fur Day - It's a literal mountain of LITERAL shit, and it's singing a very well written tune while hurling fecal meteorites at you. What more could possibly be asked for?

let's not forget Gannondorf of the original Legend of Zelda - Only one weapon in the entire game can hurt him, and they never let you know that before hand, so you could work your way through his entire dungeon, finally make it to him, and not have so much as a trekkie's chance of marriage at even being able to scratch him.

And taking the #1 spot, Tommy Vercetti versus Lance Vance, Ricardo Diaz, and a couple hundred mob goons in Grand Theft Auto 3: Vice City - All I have to say is "Interactive Scarface Epilogue, with the chance of coming out alive". You can't top that.

MINE

Gannondorf from Zelda OOT (not Gannon)
Bowser from Super Mario 64
King Toad from some Mario game
King Boo from Luigis mansion

okay theres alot of them, mostly from maro

My top 5:
5:Collossi (SotC)
4:GlaDos (Portal)
3:Sephiroth (Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts)
2:Lou (GH:3)
1:Raven King (Heavenly Sword)
Others who didn't make the cut:Zues(GoW 2) Ares (GoW) RAAM (Gears) King Boo (Luigi's Mansion) Slash (GH:3)

TsunamiWombat:
Is The End, that sniper dude from MGS3 on there? Because that is the ONLY boss battle that ever made me go squee and wanna play it over.

I specifically created a second save file just for when I felt like fighting him over again, that's how awesome he was

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here