Ninja Gaiden 2 Coming To PS3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ninja Gaiden 2 Coming To PS3

PS3 fans who didn't get a taste of Tomonobu Itagaki's most recent magnum opus of ninja excess will get a chance to with Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, a PS3 remake of the previously Xbox 360 exclusive game.

Now that outspoken 360 supporter and former Ninja Gaiden mastermind Tomonobu Itagaki has left Tecmo (and not after causing quite a ruckus), Team Ninja can feel free to make as many PS3 games as they want. Their first effort for Sony's console will be Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, an enhanced remake of Ninja Gaiden 2, which was previously a 360 exclusive, according to scans from Japanese gaming rag Famitsu.

Sigma 2 will feature new content and add PSN support. So far details on what exactly's new are scarce, but there's one tidbit that should excite fans of Team Ninja's other marquee franchise, the Dead or Alive fighting game series. Like Sigma 1 added an extra character in the buxom Rachel, Sigma 2 looks to add a new playable warrior as well: Dead or Alive's purple-haired ninja femme fatale, Ayane, who looks to be dressed skimpier than she is in DoA (how is that even possible?) and wields daggers.

It very well may have been Itagaki's departure that allowed for the existence of Sigma 2 to begin with. Even though Sigma 1 was also an effort helmed by his own studio, as Kotaku points out, the outspoken designer clearly never really approved of the project. "All you need to do is play Ninja Gaiden II and then try and play Sigma afterwards and you'll see why," Itagaki said. "Despite the fact that it's on a 'next-generation' console there's no evolution whatsoever. That was made not by me, but one of my sub-ordinates who basically tried to copy the success of Ninja Gaiden."

Yeesh. I would be happy to not have that guy breathing down my neck anymore, too.

[Via Joystiq]

it was bound to happen, they did it to the Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox to the PS2, so why not do it to the next one?

So PS3 owners are getting a remake of a remake of a remake of a remake?

Skizle:
it was bound to happen, they did it to the Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox to the PS2, so why not do it to the next one?

With NG2, it was published by Microsoft so this is kind of surprising.

Tecmo's decision to do this isn't the surprising part, though. They've fallen in quite the rut (no Team Ninja, hurting for money). The original Sigma on the PS3 was actually kind of a shoddy port with tearing all over the place and added loading breaks. And that was a game without a whole load of problems.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is... well, it obviously wasn't done when they released it so it'll be interesting to see what'll happen to the port.

CarrionRoc:
So PS3 owners are getting a remake of a remake of a remake of a remake?

Nah. More like a remake of a sequel, while named as the sequel to the remake of a remake. Got it? I wonder how Ayane would play. She didn't get a lot of screen time in NG 2

Alright, this is cool, so, woo.

Never really interested in the game in the first place, but at least PS3 owners can get a taste of whoopass......a taste of their own ass to be precise.

Meh. We have God Of War III, do they really expect us to give two craps?

Indigo_Dingo:

Seeing as Ninja Gaidan is one of the oldest game series, and a completly different beast then GoW... yes?

God damn, I want it on PC! I refuse to buy a casual console just so I can play one of the most hardcore games I've ever experienced...

Let's hope it's as good as Sigma. I love that game.

What does Tecmo make money with these days anyway? I know they throw their DoA stuff at consoles at launch (when there are no superior games out yet) but after that?

Cool, never got into it on my 360, I have a habit of buying games again on the PS3 and really getting into them. Hope it happens again with this.

Wicked stuff, I knew they would release it sooner or later on the PS3.
Let it come down in price and I'll pick it up.

TsunamiWombat:

Indigo_Dingo:

Seeing as Ninja Gaidan is one of the oldest game series, and a completly different beast then GoW... yes?

honestly? you play one NG you played them all, I mean maybe i'll pick it up, if all the bugs are fixed and I don't want anything else

TsunamiWombat:

Indigo_Dingo:

Its a Hack and Slash. Any game that attempts to go up against the king of the genre when they're out to prove themselves, without doing something fucking amazing, then they're really just wasting their and everyones time.

I'm just a little peeved, you know? Tecmo promised us the "best ____ ever" and made a pretty big deal out of it. I naturally expected somthing that showed a little ambition, like "best Feudal Japan-set stealth game ever" or "best sword-based fighting game ever". To find that it becomes "best version of Ninja Gaiden II ever" is really something that annoys me.

Indigo_Dingo:

TsunamiWombat:

Indigo_Dingo:

Its a Hack and Slash. Any game that attempts to go up against the king of the genre when they're out to prove themselves, without doing something fucking amazing, then they're really just wasting their and everyones time.

I'm just a little peeved, you know? Tecmo promised us the "best ____ ever" and made a pretty big deal out of it. I naturally expected somthing that showed a little ambition, like "best Feudal Japan-set stealth game ever" or "best sword-based fighting game ever". To find that it becomes "best version of Ninja Gaiden II ever" is really something that annoys me.

Really? I thought it was best game which deserved a debugging.

Onmi:

Indigo_Dingo:

TsunamiWombat:

Indigo_Dingo:

Really? I thought it was best game which deserved a debugging.

I think that goes to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Onmi:

TsunamiWombat:

Indigo_Dingo:

honestly? you play one NG you played them all, I mean maybe i'll pick it up, if all the bugs are fixed and I don't want anything else

The Ninja Gaiden trilogy for NES and the two Ninja Gaidens for Xbox/Xbox 360 are not the same.

So no, playing one of them does not equal playing all of them, if you still think so, I actually think you're really dumb.

Anyways, considering how much worse Sigma was from the original, I'm not expecting anything from this.

I'm wondering if they are going to fix the stupid cheap deaths people talked about, having only played Sigma 1 I thought that was great fun, and while difficult, it was fair.

I thought it was more of a Magnum Dofus :/

Good news for PS3 owners. I'm one of those cursed few who own both consoles, so I got this on xbox ages ago. Such a fantastic game, incredibly hard on the normal mode, and the harder modes are insane controller breaking fun.

And to the guy that compared this to GoW? Uhhhhhhhhh..... really? Have you even PLAYED a NG game?

Psychosocial:

Onmi:

TsunamiWombat:

Indigo_Dingo:

The Ninja Gaiden trilogy for NES and the two Ninja Gaidens for Xbox/Xbox 360 are not the same.

So no, playing one of them does not equal playing all of them, if you still think so, I actually think you're really dumb.

Anyways, considering how much worse Sigma was from the original, I'm not expecting anything from this.

No playing one of the 360 games is like playing all of the modern games, playing the NES games is like... You know it's not a difficult concept to grasp.

Onmi:

Psychosocial:

Onmi:

TsunamiWombat:

Indigo_Dingo:

No playing one of the 360 games is like playing all of the modern games, playing the NES games is like... You know it's not a difficult concept to grasp.

Fair enough. Ninja Gaiden 2 on the NES is still awesome sauceum.

TsunamiWombat:

Onmi:

Psychosocial:

Onmi:

TsunamiWombat:

Indigo_Dingo:

Fair enough. Ninja Gaiden 2 on the NES is still awesome sauceum.

Yes, yes it is.

I care more about Gundam 0081 at the moment so Sigma 2... Nah.

Goddamn remakes. I seen this coming (but seriously, who didn't?)

By the way, when will Dead or Alive 5 be announced.

uppitycracker:
Good news for PS3 owners. I'm one of those cursed few who own both consoles, so I got this on xbox ages ago. Such a fantastic game, incredibly hard on the normal mode, and the harder modes are insane controller breaking fun.

And to the guy that compared this to GoW? Uhhhhhhhhh..... really? Have you even PLAYED a NG game?

Yes. Anything to add to that, or just an acceptance that God of War is better?

Indigo_Dingo:

uppitycracker:

I'd accept that GoW was better if it was, but as it's a completely different style of game IMO, I have a hard time doing so. That's like comparing Zelda with Oblivion. But hey, whatever works for you, blindly shrug everything else off while you wait for your quicktime events.

uppitycracker:

Indigo_Dingo:

uppitycracker:

I'd accept that GoW was better if it was, but as it's a completely different style of game IMO, I have a hard time doing so. That's like comparing Zelda with Oblivion. But hey, whatever works for you, blindly shrug everything else off while you wait for your quicktime events.

How is it different? you play as a ninja who brutalizes his way through demons, you play as a greek who brutalizes his way through gods.

Zelda isn't an RPG, you just compared two different Genres, BOTH of these games are Hackey/Slashey Maim-A-thons.

uppitycracker:

Indigo_Dingo:

uppitycracker:

Enjoy fighting the same boss over and over, while immaturely looking at jiggle physics. If you need me, I'll be personally exterminating the entire Greek Mythology, using magic that actually works once in a while, and weapons that are actually useful occasionally.

The last thing Ninja Gaiden is, is being Ninja...its almost as bad as Naruto.

Anyway good news for PS3 owners. Also NG is for the hardcore only.

oliveira8:

Only saved by the main character wearing... ya know... Black.

Indigo_Dingo:

uppitycracker:

Indigo_Dingo:

uppitycracker:

Enjoy fighting the same boss over and over, while immaturely looking at jiggle physics. If you need me, I'll be personally exterminating the entire Greek Mythology, using magic that actually works once in a while, and weapons that are actually useful occasionally.

OK. You enjoy your button mashing game, where you just press Circle and do a QTE event to win, and I'll play a game that actually takes some skill to beat. See? I can make ridiculous blanket statements too.

Onmi:

oliveira8:

Bright Orange is great camuflage in...in...a pile of oranges!

oliveira8:

Onmi:

oliveira8:

The bleached blonde hair doesn't help there.

Indigo_Dingo:

oliveira8:

Onmi:

oliveira8:

The bleached blonde hair doesn't help there.

Maybe he is wearing an orange...cap?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or