Extreme Shepherding: Pong Like You've Never Seen It Before

Extreme Shepherding: Pong Like You've Never Seen It Before

Bored Welsh farmers don't normally leap to mind when one thinks of videogames but as this video of "Sheep Pong" demonstrates, the truly epic can happen when you least expect it.

What can one say about a gang of Welshmen who strap colored LED arrays to a herd of sheep and then send them out onto the rolling countryside for a night of fun and games? Not a hell of a lot, really. This is something that needs to be seen.

Along with Sheep Pong there's a giant, walking meta-sheep, a fireworks display and a recreation of the Mona Lisa, all of which is perfectly safe for work but completely inappropriate for any PETA-style kooks in the audience. You've been warned.

Source: Walyou, via GameCulture

yeah i saw this on geekologie, was pretty cool

i'm so glad we have real technology over here. granted this was still strangely entertaining...

What an extremely cool show. It must have taken the shepherds a long time to practice this stunt.

Wow. How did they even manage that? I guess they trained their dogs, right?

And you'd think it would be the New Zealanders who would come up with this first...

orannis62:

That's usually what shepherds do with sheepdogs.

Excellent stuff by the way, amazingly well put together. Inventive name they gave themselves as well...

Ah the Welsh, is there anything they can't do with a Sheep?

That is awesome, wonder what the sheep made of being lit up like christmas trees.

Words cannot describe how creatively awsome that was.

orannis62:

Dude, sheepdogs are freakin smart.

Those were border collies, which are some of the smartest dogs on the planet. My own Alice is half border collie, and trust me, it is sometimes scary how smart she is.

With regard to the video: OMGWTFHAX!!!!1!

Nerds shall enherit the earth.

That was freaking beautiful! I use to have a border collie, and boy was it a smart ass. I swear it would mock me when I would die in a vidjeo game.

That was incredible. Thank you for that.
The giant meta sheep was pretty incredible to see walking.
With regard to the Mona Lisa I feel like its very possible they just used a mosaic program to make all the pics look like it at the end.

Erana:
Nerds shall enherit the earth.

I believe its in the Bible that "The meek shall inherit the earth". Replace 'm' with 'g' and I think you just quoted Jesus on that shit.

That was amazing.

Ahh. The British.

Those crazy, magnificent bastards.

Wow... Just wow...

This just looks like CGI to me. Is there any reason to believe they actually did this, and that it wasn't just some viral video put out to promote Samsung?

That was all kinds of epic, but not fail

BigBoote66:
This just looks like CGI to me. Is there any reason to believe they actually did this, and that it wasn't just some viral video put out to promote Samsung?

Actually, I thought that at first too. I think they just sped parts of it up to take less time.

Anyway, yeah, just wait until PETA's statement about this. It will be hilarious.

Erana:
Nerds shall enheritinherit the earth.

Just after English Majors do.

God damn that is an awesome performance. Oddly compelling too, just goes to show that even in the rustic communities there are gamers willing to go the extra mile to prove they are TRUE FANS.

Not something you see everyday, but definitely ought to see at least once before you cease to be. I knew, all is not right with those weird Welshmen. God bless them for that.

That... is awesome.

Maybe this should shut up all the people and their stereotypes about the Welsh doing naught things with their Sheep. They're not doing naughty things, they're doing AWESOME things.

Labyrinth:

Erana:
Nerds shall enheritinherit the earth.

Just after English Majors do.

God damn that is an awesome performance. Oddly compelling too, just goes to show that even in the rustic communities there are gamers willing to go the extra mile to prove they are TRUE FANS.

Why do people still try to correct my spelling? I will die centuries before I am ever able to accumulate enough skill to spell consistently and properly.
At least I'm not saying things like "Cornocoupia" when I mean, "ukelale."

A bit of a follow-up from the BBC, who talked to a couple of the guys involved in the project. Specially-trained dogs were used and it took several attempts to get it right (at least the Pong bit) but they claim there was very little computer wizardry involved in the project, attributing it instead to good dogs and sensible sheep.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7961889.stm

My brother showed me that. Yeah, it's pretty awesome, but I'll never be able to appreciate it as he woke me up to show it to me.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here