Xbox 360 Errors Increasing Post-NXE?

Xbox 360 Errors Increasing Post-NXE?

Reports of the Xbox 360's E74 error have dramatically increased since the release of the New Xbox Experience, according to the results of a poll conducted by Joystiq.

Though it's nowhere near as infamous as the fabled Red Rings of Death, the Xbox 360's E74 hardware failure might become as well known soon enough, if the results of a Joystiq survey are to be believed. The error, which is apparently caused by a faulty scaler chip, AV cable, or GPU, results in all sorts of graphical weirdness on screen, followed by a single flashing red light and an unsightly error code screen on bootup.

Joystiq held an open call for readers to write in if they've ever been victims of the E74 hardware failure, and, after receiving dozens of replies, have compiled the data. The first thing they noticed was that the frequency of E74s has increased dramatically since November of last year, which, you'll recall, was around the time that Microsoft launched the New Xbox Experience. It doesn't take a genius to work out the cause-and-effect logic here - the immediate conclusion is that NXE is making the 360 work so hard that it becomes more prone to error.

The blog noticed that the errors had nothing to do with when the system was bought - people who have owned their 360s for anywhere from one to three years reported having the issue. So, whatever type of 360 you bought with whatever special motherboard might not keep you safe from the error.

So, is this survey just scaremongering or should we actually be on the look out for what could become the dreaded "Red Light of Death?" Well, there is some of your hard-earned cash at stake here: while Microsoft's well-publicized extended warranty covers RRODs, it does not cover anything else. So, if you get an E74, you'll have to pony up some serious dough to get Microsoft to fix it (though, naturally there are a whole slew of DIY fixes).

Joystiq reached out to Microsoft to see if the company could back up their data (which they're ready to assert is far from scientifically prepared), but the company was predictably reticent on all fronts, only saying that the "E74 is a general hardware error on Xbox 360 indicated by a single red flashing light in the Xbox Ring of Light and an error message visible on the television. This error is unrelated to the three flashing red lights error and there is not a single root cause."

Have any of you guys gotten this error? And was it before or after getting the New Xbox Experience?

I remember reading this but i bet those consoles were pretty old without the new chipsets, even then that doesn't guarantee anything from the red lights.

Don't worry guys cause just like Apple, Microsoft will fix your Xbox with an E74 error for only a nominal fee! It's not like you have anywhere else you can go to fix their product anyway :P.

Ahh how funny how companies are not monopolies but their products sure got the consumer by the balls.

Tenmar:
Don't worry guys cause just like Apple, Microsoft will fix your Xbox with an E74 error for only a nominal fee! It's not like you have anywhere else you can go to fix their product anyway :P.

Ahh how funny how companies are not monopolies but their products sure got the consumer by the balls.

They might as well be considered monopolies. Or some kind of wierd mutation thereof.

E74? I thought that was a video cable error? I've had this many times before if that is the case, all I did was restart the machine.

Hume rejected the idea of cause and effect. Blantently putting it, he believed that when we see the white billiard ball hit the black one and watch the black one roll away we cannot determine that event A (the white billiard ball hitting the black one) caused event B (the black billiard ball rolling away). You'd be better off mentioning Spinoza who suggested that everything happens out of necessity.

Sigh, now i have an account on the escapist cause of this...

AwesomeOne:
Hume rejected the idea of cause and effect. Blantently putting it, he believed that when we see the white billiard ball hit the black one and watch the black one roll away we cannot determine that event A (the white billiard ball hitting the black one) caused event B (the black billiard ball rolling away). You'd be better off mentioning Spinoza who suggested that everything happens out of necessity.

Hahaha, yes! I knew I could bait someone into making an account just to correct me.

Mine's in the shop for RRoD right now, anyway.

I'm sure I'll have it for about week before E74 sets in. If it does, I'm gettin' an Elite. If I'm going to keep wasting my money, I may as well waste all of it.

i just got the error..but i had my 360 since it first came out on the market

Nicely played Keane Ng. nicely played...

For the love of Allah, when will MS get their system right? First there is the R-Rod, now this weird glitch. Does MS want me to not buy their 360? At least the PS3 is....STABLE!

I have been lucky to avoid the Rrod, but now I have to worry about this. Whats next 360 consoles randomly exploding, turning into Decepticons and taking over the world?! Makes me wanna but a PS3........

The only reason people are putting up with this is cost. If the PS3 was cheaper i'm sure a lot of people would go "no fuck this i'm not being hit in the balls" we wouldn't let this shit go in the old days.

EDIT: Sony should make a 'Welcome Home' pack for the PS3 containing BC, and one of three games KZ 2, R2, MGS4? for the people who brought 360 and still don't have a PS3, who are pissed with their broken 360.

Just when I'm willing to forget the ineptitude of the 360's engineering, something new crops up to remind me that the system is a colossal failure of basic hardware design. Microsoft needs to remain a software company and outsource their system to someone with experience. Heck, the morons at Dell could have easily built a better 360 machine.

Anyway, I'm done hating now. ;-)

I haven't suffered the E74 error but I did suffer the red ring of death.

My friend got the E74 error though. This was about a week after NXE was released.

I got the E74 error about a month after the NXE arrived. Never had any problems before, neither E74 nor RRoD. So, yeah. To me this sounds plausible.

That's rather unfortunate. So this E74 error I have been hearing about is also a fatal error that persists through resetting the machine?
Honestly, if it wasn't for Lost Odyssey and Star Ocean, I wouldn't even have a single reason to look into buying the Xbox.

olicon:
That's rather unfortunate. So this E74 error I have been hearing about is also a fatal error that persists through resetting the machine?
Honestly, if it wasn't for Lost Odyssey and Star Ocean, I wouldn't even have a single reason to look into buying the Xbox.

I thought the same way, but it's library is soooo huge.

Unless you have a Gaming PC.

This is bullshit! microsoft have never released a less than perfected product EVER.

Coz windows is sooooooooooooooo user friendly too....

'error'

what?

'windows has encountered a serious error and must shut down'

'error details

3454865t53gu9h303uy05986uhy5689uy89tu54nonsense'

aha... thats what went wrong... totally should have known that....

I myself have never in all the many years i've had my 360, had any problems, ever.

My best friend however had the E74 error, and immidiately had it taken away to be fixed at his expense, three and a half weeks later it returned, boy did he have one hell of a Halo night, followed by yet another E74 error the following morning! He played it what, 8 hours? XD

He sent it off, and a month later, he has been given his 360 back just today!! So we can only assume he'll Red Light of Death it within a few hours? :D hahahahahaaa!

Bacon

Wow, I have been rather lucky thus far. My xbox is a little over a year old, and has never had one error on it.

Guess I am due to have it explode, should the reports of Xbox failure not be exaggerated.

Yeah, okay, so I'm really not that worried.

AwesomeOne:

Huh...Bizzarely eloquent.

But I do think that NXE is causing this. While correlation may not equal causation, this certainly is damning in my eyes.
Not that I care, I only use mine for what it was built to do originally (PLAY GAMES) :D

Onmi:
The only reason people are putting up with this is cost. If the PS3 was cheaper i'm sure a lot of people would go "no fuck this i'm not being hit in the balls" we wouldn't let this shit go in the old days.

EDIT: Sony should make a 'Welcome Home' pack for the PS3 containing BC, and one of three games KZ 2, R2, MGS4? for the people who brought 360 and still don't have a PS3, who are pissed with their broken 360.

But it isn't cheaper, and so the consumer suffers :D
It dosn't matter, if the PS3 had one of these errors it would be the same drill: Pay us for the fix. Coincidentally, this is why I will never buy an apple product: they apply this philosophy to the extreme (WHY THE HELL should I pay you to replace my Ipod's battery? This is something THAT I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO FOR FREE!!!)
As for the pack idea, it'd never happen. That would cause massive sales loss.

Aries_Split:

olicon:

I thought the same way, but it's library is soooo huge.

Unless you have a Gaming PC.

The 360's library is huge, but how many of that is actually good? I also happens to have a very specific range of interest--jRPG, turn-based strategy, racing game, and very few fighters. That's why I couldn't care less how many Madden and FIFA are floating out there for 360 players. To me, that is entirely a moot point.
And besides, MS already proves that EVERY good 360 game will end up on PC (with extra content), or is simply not be exclusive to begin with.

Well, this little number hit me at the start of the month, my console being 3 months out of warranty by this point. The towel trick worked for a couple weeks but the ole' gals' dead. My 360 is sitting around until Microsoft decides to act on the E74. On the bright side, I'm playing with my Wii again.

Yep, my 360 is currently bricked from E74. I was noticing lots of other errors since the NXE download as well.

My 360 just got E74'd (right before Guitar Hero Metallica, and my gaming PC's motherboard dieing on me, naturally) and I already had to send it in last summer when it RROD'd on me. I'm so tired of this bullshit...................

Stupid E74.

I've had it twice, both pre-NXE.
The first one was about a week after my 1 year warranty expired too, I think it was about $200 (NZ dollars, so... $112 US.) to have it fixed, which was very annoying.

Second one was about three weeks after that because they didn't fix it properly.

Since NXE I've found my 360 actually seems to be running better than before.
But only time will tell I guess.

Its sad that one of my friends admitted that he spent more time getting his 360 repaired than he has playing games. Hes had 4 360's so far due to hardware difficulty.

I dont tell him that Im still playing the same PS3 that I had for Xmas two years back. Poor soul.

If this sways anyone away from buying a 360 at all, they really are an easily swayed person. Choosing a console based on an error that may or may not happen (likely the latter) that is covered under warranty is really kind of pathetic. For the record, I own all of the "current" gen systems and "previous" gens. I'm not a fanboy, I buy them all.

That being said, though... there is no reason for mass hysteria. Even for RRoD. If you really can't go 21 days without playing your video game system, that's really pathetic.

And microsoft still refuses to fix the 360 typical...

I'm thinking about getting games for my computer, atleast thats mor stable then a soviet super reacter!

EDIT: i'm still getting a 360, but since thats my only form of entertainment in my house, once i dies i need a backup plan since most 360s are nice to break after warrantie

I did after NXE, Gamestation were awesome though, just took it in and they just handed me a brand new Jasper unit over the counter!

I get strange graphics issues but so far not a single problem with my 360.

Had it for almost 2 years now.

gee i'm still gonna buy a 360 but this error thing is sad , the ps3 has it's problems too mine was a disc drive failure ,as for the 360 would it be easier for ms to recall their systems and fix the problems properly ? and is this a problem with the old systems only ?

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.